Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 711

post #10651 of 26149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAmusing777 View Post

Nameless, you had me quite interested in that CRT, and while it is amazing, it nonetheless comes with drawbacks (100lbs!) as does everything. OLED's are the future my man, unless you know of another display tech (SED seems to have fallen by the wayside).

 

Shame about SED/FED, but I still have some hope in laser DLP. Too bad those Mitsubishi LaserVue sets are wallet-breakers, just like current TV-size OLED panels.

 

On the other hand, the use of a DLP chip inherently means having a native resolution. It does highlight the potential of an RGB laser-based display technology if people were to move in that direction, though.

post #10652 of 26149

Just got my annies today and on first impression alone compared to my q701s, the annies are more transparent, the soundstage is different but I wouldn't say better, positional cues are better, not as harsh, and better bass. I haven't done any pad swapping but I highly doubt the pads are creating all the differences, though I'm interested myself because I've always found the q701 pads unwieldy. In addition the annies are lighter, less fatiguing on the ears, and far more comfortable. Before I return my q701s I might play around with the two side by side and with swapped pads, if I do I'll post my findings and opinions here. -So far- I've gotten more than I had ever wished for in my 170 usd upgrade but perhaps pad swapping will change my mind if I know that I could have gotten the close to the same experience with just 50usd in pads.

post #10653 of 26149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

Shame about SED/FED, but I still have some hope in laser DLP. Too bad those Mitsubishi LaserVue sets are wallet-breakers, just like current TV-size OLED panels.

On the other hand, the use of a DLP chip inherently means having a native resolution. It does highlight the potential of an RGB laser-based display technology if people were to move in that direction, though.

Mitsubishi is stopping production of DLP, lol.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/02/mitsubishi-rptv-rip/
Quote:
The company's official statement is after the break, confirming that its DLP and LaserVue models are no more

Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/9/13 at 2:53pm
post #10654 of 26149
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

 

Shame about SED/FED, but I still have some hope in laser DLP. Too bad those Mitsubishi LaserVue sets are wallet-breakers, just like current TV-size OLED panels.

 

On the other hand, the use of a DLP chip inherently means having a native resolution. It does highlight the potential of an RGB laser-based display technology if people were to move in that direction, though.

 

Not a shame. I will win! Muahahahaha. Kidding. It is a shame. Isn't that heavy as well? lol. Do they even make a smaller size? I can't game on the computer with mouse and keyboard with that huge thing, lol. They all seem to be very large sizes. No, no no, they are not wallet-breakers like current OLED's. For once, consumer OLED's aren't even out, but when they do hit, it's like 12grand compared to 3 to 4 or the LaserVue, lol. Pretty neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


Mitsubishi is stopping production of DLP, lol.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/02/mitsubishi-rptv-rip/

 Hahahaha. Wow. I didn't even know of the laservue till Nameless, nor a lot of other things (Aureal/Stax/ect. lol).

post #10655 of 26149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Mitsubishi is stopping production of DLP, lol.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/02/mitsubishi-rptv-rip/
Oh no, I never noticed this news until now...

Prices might go back up for LaserVue sets, but that doesn't always happen in the world of displays. Otherwise, GDM-FW900s would never sell for well under $1,000 at this point.
post #10656 of 26149
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post


Oh no, I never noticed this news until now...

Prices might go back up for LaserVue sets, but that doesn't always happen in the world of displays. Otherwise, GDM-FW900s would never sell for well under $1,000 at this point.


 Yeah. Still too big though. Picture quality suffers due to it being a projection too.

post #10657 of 26149

Well, I bit the bullet and just purchased the Annies off ebay for $452 (Thank you Bill Me Later). I've no regrets (if it's as good as MLE would have us believe...;)

post #10658 of 26149

Well its pretty darn good. I dont have much to compare it to, but i am very pleased.

 

I was really bummed at first, because at first I couldnt hear any difference but within the first hour, the cans came alive, and sounded awesome. They only got better after 10 hours of burn in, and now I am really pleased, and that is only coming out of the asus phoebus.

 

I cant wait till I get it properly amped.

 

I was using Dolby home theater 4. MLE, how does that compare to Dolby Headphone? I plan on getting a Xonar DGX when my amp comes.

post #10659 of 26149
Thread Starter 
I'm not sure. Nameless might know.

Rexxen, thanks for the comparisons. Glad to hear the difference is worth it. Please do swap the pads, and tell us what happens.

The pads should be very easy to remove/install, just that the Q701 pads will have to be oriented a certain way.
post #10660 of 26149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post


Yeah, on board audio isn't going anywhere thru USB either... A Xonar DG or DGX isn't very expensive if you just want DH tho, and they have decent amps. The AD700 are very easy to drive, I think they'll be fine on the E10 or either of those cards even.
I'd love to read a direct comparison from someone with both too.

 

Yeah I don't think so either. Its about the worst onboard audio Ive ever seen too. very basic. I mean it does "HD" sound, has an eq and things like that but its still very basic. Just enough to get the job done. 

 

Also its a laptop so nogo on the xonars. Ill just deal with the stereo until I get the desktop built then Ill throw a xonar in that and call it good. Unless I don't miss the Surround sound, which Is still totally possible. 

post #10661 of 26149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I'm not sure. Nameless might know.
Dolby Home Theater v4, you mean?

I figured it was just branding for a suite of Dolby features, including Dolby Headphone.
post #10662 of 26149

I dont think so.. This guy actually has a slider at the bottom of the window for "surround sensation".

 

It takes a stereo signal, upmixes it to some kind of dolby surround, then down mixes it back to stereo. It doesnt sound that great.

 

The way i understand Dolby Headphone, is it take a real, live Dolby 5.1 signal and just down mixes it to stereo.
 

post #10663 of 26149

What's with the industry's hate of DLP?

 

the technology has no heat and image retention like Plasma and excellent response time and no lag unlike LCD. I have had my DLP since 2006 and haven't replaced the bulb yet.

 

DLP is also super cheap for the consumer.

post #10664 of 26149
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post

 

Also its a laptop so nogo on the xonars. Ill just deal with the stereo until I get the desktop built then Ill throw a xonar in that and call it good. Unless I don't miss the Surround sound, which Is still totally possible. 

 

There is the Xonar U3 for laptop surround + DAC.

post #10665 of 26149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post

What's with the industry's hate of DLP?

 

the technology has no heat and image retention like Plasma and excellent response time and no lag unlike LCD. I have had my DLP since 2006 and haven't replaced the bulb yet.

 

DLP is also super cheap for the consumer.


It was the screen door effect and rainbows for me. confused_face.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)