I'm probably thinking backwards here but whats one of the best new games to sound whore on the xbox?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14More
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 2/18/13 at 1:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Gaming: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M50? Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)Last edited: 7/29/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Gaming)Last edited: 12/28/12
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG K612 and K712 Pro added + edits) - Page 604post #9046 of 2298311/15/12 at 7:00pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #9047 of 2298311/15/12 at 7:29pmpost #9048 of 2298311/15/12 at 7:34pmThread StarterI just finished the campaign, so I'll be playing multiplayer, soonish. Those two perks sound like I'll be using them exclusively.
I'll probably play Quantum Conundrum first, before I jump into BLOPSII multi.post #9049 of 2298311/15/12 at 7:42pmpost #9050 of 2298311/15/12 at 7:42pmQuote:
Simca considers the Recon3D a better gaming card than the Titanium HD, whereas my opinion on the two is the exact opposite (everything Sound Core3D-based is a downgrade from a proper EMU20k1/20k2 X-Fi card, even without taking into account CMSS-3D Headphone vs. THX TruStudio Surround). Needless to say, I don't put too much stock in his opinions.
I only lurk OCN, but I've been tempted to make an account just to straighten some things out on the audio forum. On the other hand, it's already pretty tiring just keeping Head-Fi in check, let alone other communities.
Nevertheless, audio is one of those subjective things that nobody ever seems to agree on. For instance, it wasn't too long ago here on Head-Fi where I heard of someone not liking AD700 and Stax Lambda imaging because it sounded too diffused to his ears compared to, say, a typical Sennheiser set. Meanwhile, I never had problems hearing EXACTLY where a sound was coming from using either of those. (I wasn't entirely certain if he was talking stereo music listening or gaming with CMSS-3D or DH, though.)post #9051 of 2298311/15/12 at 7:49pmHalo 4 doesn't really have the playlists that really capitalize on sound whoring... like the Hardcore game modes in COD. That being said, you can still use Headphones/DH to gain an advantage in MP, but it won't be as important imho.post #9052 of 2298311/15/12 at 8:08pmQuote:
That's a shame. I've been playing COD for a while so I've been looking to switch to something else. Other options, borderlands?post #9053 of 2298311/15/12 at 9:24pmQuote:
First I must caution you that I've just watched two episodes of The Big Bang theory, so I may be typing with the voice of Sheldon Cooper in my mind.
Sound whoring implies that you are interested in competitive games created to provide advantage with myriad details and subtle nuances designed to give various positional cues. The most recent competitive game great for sound whoring is Halo 4. Sound whoring is most useful in SWAT gametype, where footstep tracking and anticipation to set up the headshot first is king.
Other recent FPS titles like Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 have epic explosions and some nice effects, tactical details like footsteps and small cues giving clues to direction and distance are weak in the mix or generally lacking in ability to afford the gamer with tangible benefit. MW3 can be improved for sound whoring with the pro levels of the Ninja and Sitrep perks, though of course that is in lieu of other viable perks. MLE maintains that Call of Duty: Black Ops has better sound design; I am of the opinion that the BO CoD was actually tolerably designed. BF3 tactical cues are usually drowned out by sound effects; though panning effects while in a jet dogfight can make for spectacular surround, the situations that actually provides information to give the player advantage are rare and of course lack 3D height effects if played on a console.
Uh... Big brain theory ended, and honestly I can't think of other recent competitive games that benefit from sound whoring. I haven't played the most recent horror games, but those may be good games even in single player. Dead Island is something I mean to pick up. In my particular case, I haven't been able to buy many games lately, and my GameStop subscription ran out a little while ago. Maybe others can fill you in with some more ideas on sound whore recent games.post #9054 of 2298311/15/12 at 9:47pmQuote:
IMO SWAT modes in Reach were very competitive. The map Longsword (ONI base) ruins the cat-and-mouse by making a lame top-floor camping ground, but most of the other maps have a nice ebb and flow. I look forward to SWAT in Halo 4 when I get Internet at home again, but I think even in regular competitive modes there is enough information to anticipate opponents, grenades, and weapon drops, since there aren't swarms of choppers and announcements of allied and enemy killstreak unlocks, like some of CoD's hardcore modes I believe.post #9055 of 2298311/15/12 at 9:59pmpost #9056 of 2298311/15/12 at 10:10pmI want to try BlackOps2, but... Gotta take care. Of the check engine light that came on today.
Mad, who was that guy who really preferred stereo over surround for positional cues? I wouldn't say an opinion is wrong, but... pick a few examples so you don't sound like... Well, just say you don't want surround and it doesn't work for you, lol. Not bad.Quote:
343i really did a good job with the franchise, IMO. I mean, after 5 years of having favored CoD4 for competitive FPS personally, Halo 4 feels fresh and addresses a lot of the things that bugged me about CoD games, that got worse as the series went on. The sound quality is awesome, and directional cues are distinct, and the rest is up to taste... I love the taste, but then I love sci fi, run and gun gameplay, and all the other gravy like theater, Forge and community-made map highlights in the playlists, Co-op campaign, and the story feels distinctly Halo rather than generic action (Though it does reference past Halo games, Mass Effect, and Star War :O BF3 felt kinda generic). I they don't explain why the Covenant are enemies again (though it's easy to assume they're a sect of extra fanatic elites and "lesser" species), but they do a great job of developing Cortana and Chief as characters IMO. The live action mini-series is pretty cool, too.
I also want to try Dead Island, and Borderlands 2. Left 4 Dead had pretty good (but easy to hear) audio cues.
Edited by Evshrug - 11/15/12 at 10:28pmpost #9057 of 2298311/16/12 at 4:26ampost #9058 of 2298311/16/12 at 4:35amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Evshrug
I want to try BlackOps2, but... Gotta take care. Of the check engine light that came on today.
Mad, who was that guy who really preferred stereo over surround for positional cues? I wouldn't say an opinion is wrong, but... pick a few examples so you don't sound like... Well, just say you don't want surround and it doesn't work for you, lol. Not bad.
There's plenty of people who prefer stereo over virtual surround. If you go into virtual surround expecting pure audio fidelity, you're gonna be disappointed. You can't go into virtual surround with a headphone mentality. You have to go into it with an open mind, and expecting something that sounds very different from what you've been accustomed to in headphones.
But I have NEVER met a person who has tried virtual surround for a week who preferred to go back to plain stereo.
It takes time to adjust, but once you do, it's impossible to go back.post #9059 of 2298311/16/12 at 4:47amAt some point you should try to add Soundmagic HP100 and HP200, both would be great for gaming, only used HP100 for Battlefield 1942 (not good audio)post #9060 of 2298311/16/12 at 4:47amAt some point you should try to add Soundmagic HP100 and HP200, both would be great for gaming, only used HP100 for Battlefield 1942 (not good audio)
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG K612 and K712 Pro added + edits)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** 3 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 18 seconds ago
- › Steelseries Flux in ear 25 seconds ago
- › Tube warmth and distortion and it's pros 37 seconds ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 1 minute ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 1 minute ago
- › Should I buy this particular sound card? Will it improve my audio... 1 minute ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Headphones Recommendation for College Student 3 minutes ago
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob