Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14More
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 2/18/13 at 1:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Gaming: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M50? Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)Last edited: 7/29/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Gaming)Last edited: 12/28/12
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG K612 and K712 Pro added + edits) - Page 1535post #23011 of 230164/17/14 at 3:21pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #23012 of 230164/17/14 at 3:40pm
Hi guys, please help me... i need a wireless headset with virtual surround for gaming on pc (connected to my TV) and in the future probably a ps4, but i can't decide...
When i'm using my "portable" mini-ITX pc in my room i use a Xonar U3 and HD598, for music i use Fiio X3 and HD598 and now i need a wireless headset with mic when i use my PC in the living room (80% of the time)
My budged is around 300 euros, what is the best option?
Thanks to anyone that will help!
P.S. just an info... i feel the HD598 a little inadequate with basses for gaming!post #23013 of 230164/17/14 at 4:01pmQuote:
@kh600rr I've used the Asus Xonar U3 and been using the U7 on my Clevo based laptop (same base laptop as your Sager) for the past 3 months.
Thoroughly enjoy both Xonar products after using the onboard sound for 6 months.
Haven't had the opportunity to compare Asus vs Soundblaster. And other than my natural curiosity to hear the difference between the two, I haven't felt the "need" to search for another solution.
Primarily used nightly to play FPS, MMOs, movies, and music :D
For reference my current set up is laptop --> Xonar U7 --> AKG K712 Pro.
Only thing I feel I need to try next is an amp and dac. No desire for a new / different surround sound processing option.
.... at least till the next new shiny surround sound processor is released! ;->post #23014 of 230164/17/14 at 4:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by Evshrug
The only thing about the K712... It's at least like $130 more than the Q701, new. The sound is more refined and also easier on the ears, but by itself the change is too slight to justify the price difference from a Q701. For me, it's a keeper though due to the headband, comfort, I like the coiled cable to keep tidy at shorter distances, less fatigue when plugged straight into underpowered devices (iPhone, Mixamp) – it adds up, maybe a bit less than the price still BUT it saves me from having to mod and get amp-picky. It's the best AKG in my opinion, but won't change the world for Q701 owners.
Personally, that extra $130 for the K712 (or K702.65 in my case) over the Q701 was worth every penny to me. I tried the Q701 in the store and took it off in 1 minute it was so uncomfortable, due to both the bumpy headband and stiff ear pads. I looked for Q701 mods on head-fi and it would be $60 for the memory foam pads from the Annies and another $50-60 for the flat head-band from the K602 or something, plus shipping to Canada, plus modding time (since the headband replacement is NOT an easy process) and the $130 more for the K712/K702.65 is downright reasonable. Actually, the K712 is a better deal because it includes 2 cables, the standard long straight and shorter coiled. I ended up buying the AKG coiled cable for $40 for my Annies afterwards. If it K712 was within $40 of the Annies when I bought mine, I would have got the K712.Quote:Originally Posted by grumpy1471
I definitely appreciate that you are helping me make an educated choice. The issue is that its either the X1+Boom Pro for $330 with no amp needed or the K712+Seperate mic+E12 for well over $500. Huge price difference there and I'm getting uneasy now that the price could be increasing rapidly. I'm using PS4 and Xbox 360 by the way.
Just to throw in another wrench into your decision making process, if you decide on the K712 and you don't need a portable amp, consider a desktop amp instead, like a Fiio E09K, JDS Labs O2, Schiit Magni or Vali, all of these are $100-130USD+shipping. Lithium ion batteries have a finite lifespan and when it dies, who knows whether the manufacturer still has a supply of replacements. If you go with an AC powered desktop amp, that is not a worry, except for maybe a faulty AC adapter (happened to my 1st Fiio E09k).
I'll re-iterate what others have said, you will need a powerful amp to drive the K712 properly. When I first got my K702 Annies (also from razordogaudio.com, for a tiny bit less than what you're looking at for the K712) I was driving them from a Fiio E17 and thought that sounded great upgrading from an ATH-AD700. Then I drove them from an Audioengine D1 (which was actually under-driving them even more than the E17), THEN I finally got a Fiio E09k and WOW... I didn't realize how good the Annies could sound, almost like a new pair of headphones. Then I got an Asgard 2 (upgrade-itus) and it was only marginally better than the E09k.
I'd say if you can afford the K712 complete setup without going into undue debt then go for it. It *should* reduce the temptation of you buying all the lesser headphones until you decide to buck up and upgrade to $1,000+ headphone territory.
If I was to do it over again now from my ATH-AD700, I would jump right to the K712 + E09K and call it a day. The K712/K702.65 Annies are super comfortable (compared to the head torture device that is the Q701). I would not consider the Philips X1 at all because of the non-replaceable ear pads and poor customer service/support (search head-fi for "fidelio L1 service"), and good luck trying to get even that crappy service in Canada. That and the boomier bass of the X1. I really like the more flat/neutral response curve of the Annies. I've heard stuff with a more U-shaped curves like ATH-M50, DT880 premium, M-80 and I don't like the boomy bass and sharp treble. The K712 has replaceable ear pads and comes with 2 cables (I bought an extra coiled cable for my Annies). If you need chat capability, add the V-moda BoomPro and Zombie_X's soon to be released adapter, which I'll probably get a couple of, one as a spare or a future AKG headphone. =P That should keep you set for years for music and gaming. I'm mostly music and PC gaming but I did try my Annies with a Turtle Beach ACU and XBox360 (from the TB PX5 set I bought before discovering head-fi) and it really, really needs an amp to make them sound good.post #23015 of 230164/17/14 at 5:08pmQuote:
I completely agree with this part of your post.post #23016 of 230164/17/14 at 5:16pmQuote:
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG K612 and K712 Pro added + edits)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Help: Fiio 09K vs Schiit Vali and Optimal Setup 9 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG... 12 seconds ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 46 seconds ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Appreciation Society 1 minute ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 2 minutes ago
- › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) 3 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 3 minutes ago
- › The Violectric v282 thread 5 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 5 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob