Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG K612 and K712 Pro added + edits)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG K612 and K712 Pro added + edits) - Page 1269

post #19021 of 23016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post
 

 

link please!!! lol

 

If you're only using 2 sources, this will work perfectly and for about $8. If you're using 3 or more, it's more budget friendly to use a remote based system. But automatic switchers can be found for $250 and up. The issue with automatic toslink switchers is the fact that optical doesn't carry current like other cables. That makes the switcher much more expensive because it needs optical sensors and circuitry rather than a simple current detector like automatic HDMI switches.

post #19022 of 23016
Thanks Axel,

I may have to go the remote route then as I see the one in the link has too many negative reviews. Will look into it more when I get paid.
post #19023 of 23016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Thanks Axel,

I may have to go the remote route then as I see the one in the link has too many negative reviews. Will look into it more when I get paid.

 

You don't need that specific one, it was just the first of it's kind I came across. A splitter that can work as a combiner in reverse is the simplest setup for 2 sources as long as one is completely off when the other is on.

post #19024 of 23016

This question is for Mad Lust Envy or anyone else with some insight, I want to buy some nice headphones for gaming on my PS4.  I will be playing at night so I cannot have something loud as to where it will wake the baby either.  The room I will be playing in is about 12 feet or so away from where the baby will be.  I have been thinking of getting the beyerdynamic dt 990 with the fiio e17 but I don't know if that's really ideal given they are open and the sound leakage and if I will potentially wake others up in the house.  I appreciate your help, thanks!


Edited by jumpman23j - 12/15/13 at 11:20pm
post #19025 of 23016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman23j View Post
 

This question is for Mad Lust Envy or anyone else with some insight, I want to buy some nice headphones for gaming on my PS4.  I will be playing at night so I cannot have something loud as to where it will wake the baby either.  The room I will be playing in is about 12 feet or so away from where the baby will be.  I have been thinking of getting the Beyerdynamic DT 990 with the Fiio E17 but I don't know if that's really ideal given they are open and the sound leakage and if I will potentially wake others up in the house.  I appreciate your help, thanks!

Only 12 feet from baby.

Might be better in vest in some "thin skinned" closed headphones.

post #19026 of 23016
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Only 12 feet from baby.

Might be better in vest in some "thin skinned" closed headphones.

 

Well the hallway is around 12 feet separating the two rooms.  I take it I should get some closed headphones though right?  What are some good closed headphones for gaming?  I hear that the M Audio Q40 are pretty good, any thoughts on these?

post #19027 of 23016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

So... it's December 15th.

I turned 31. So in order to celebrate, I'll be putting up 31 new reviews in the near future....





Okay, maybe it's more like 3.1 reviews. biggrin.gif
Woo WHOOO! Congrats on surviving and being only 4 years apart from my age. Hope you solve all those tech dilemmas and enjoy the incoming headphones!


Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post

I'm all for some more BL2. I'm free tonight around 11ish. Break the seal on multiplayer gaming with the HD650s and try out the DX mic. I was very impressed with MLE's sound for the price, so let's see if I too drew the lucky straw on quality.
The mic you used sounded great. I have no idea how I sounded to you, sitting back in my chair with the mic on top of my monitor. It is a convenient/relaxed way to play though.
I think I'll be a goof and get another AKG model to try out. I really must sell something though.

Do you believe the Geek Pulse is the Real Deal? quite expensive, haven't heard much improvement after good $100 things, and speaking of that price point apparently the Dragonfly has had it's price lowered to just $99, people were very impressed with that DAC. The Pulse seems like overkill... but still, I'm tempted. I like the Crossfade option on my E12 when I just wanna relax with my music, I bet the Geek's cheesily-named "awesomifyer" is just a hardware crossfeed with a little EQ to "relax" the presentation to a darker, more laid-back FR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman23j View Post

This question is for Mad Lust Envy or anyone else with some insight, I want to buy some nice headphones for gaming on my PS4.  I will be playing at night so I cannot have something loud as to where it will wake the baby either.  The room I will be playing in is about 12 feet or so away from where the baby will be.  I have been thinking of getting the beyerdynamic dt 990 with the fiio e17 but I don't know if that's really ideal given they are open and the sound leakage and if I will potentially wake others up in the house.  I appreciate your help, thanks!
Here, let me give you an idea of what an "open" headphone sounds like in comparison to some small speakers:

Edited by Evshrug - 12/16/13 at 12:55am
post #19028 of 23016
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post

If you're only using 2 sources, this will work perfectly and for about $8. If you're using 3 or more, it's more budget friendly to use a remote based system. But automatic switchers can be found for $250 and up. The issue with automatic toslink switchers is the fact that optical doesn't carry current like other cables. That makes the switcher much more expensive because it needs optical sensors and circuitry rather than a simple current detector like automatic HDMI switches.

I owned two of those, and both of them didn;t work properly. This is why optical switchers are something I'm completely against. I also owned two of the manual knob switchers, and both oif them also didn't work properly.

0 for 4 is enough for me to not ever waste more cash to get a working unit. I'll stick to just swapping the cables out on the Mixamp. frown.gif

Thanks guys. smily_headphones1.gif

I spent the day.... sleeping and testing out dxtory for fps limiting, lol.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/16/13 at 2:11am
post #19029 of 23016
happy birthday bud! ive been enjoying bf4 on the ps4 with the mmx-300's. sound whoring at its finest! sorry to hear about your conroller.... i am still hoping to try out the ath-ad1 and see how it compares. any chance they will send you a pair to review?
post #19030 of 23016

yeah, I still have the MMX-300 as well. Still wondering why they don't get a non-headset release seeing how boomy the other DT770s get in the bass or sibillant in the highs. This is clearly their best DT770. I love the bass extension. Check out the Head-fi test wavs and see for yourself. The Mixamp unfortunately has a low frequency cutoff. On my DAC there's only the headphones own limit. 

post #19031 of 23016
Thread Starter 
Pretty sure the MMX300 is one of the 32ohm DT770s. beyerdynamic is inconsistent with their sound signatures, as there have been 32ohm 770s with balanced signatures, and ones with a lot of bass. Not to mention my overly bassy 600ohm...
post #19032 of 23016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


I owned two of those, and both of them didn;t work properly. This is why optical switchers are something I'm completely against. I also owned two of the manual knob switchers, and both oif them also didn't work properly.

0 for 4 is enough for me to not ever waste more cash to get a working unit. I'll stick to just swapping the cables out on the Mixamp. frown.gif

Thanks guys. smily_headphones1.gif

I spent the day.... sleeping and testing out dxtory for fps limiting, lol.


I'm using http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-102946-Optical-TosLink-Bi-Directional/dp/B0097IWZRC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1387195908&sr=8-3&keywords=toslink+switch

 

and have had zero issues with it.  Only downside is that it's annoying to switch due to the release/locking mechanism.  Don't really have to use it as much anymore though due to gaming mostly on the PC, but you don't need anything expensive to have functionality.  What you probably want to stay away from though are the type that look like they are just plug and forget.  You need one with some kind of selector.  I also only paid around $5 when I bought mine.


Dunno though, if you have your Mixamp in an area where you would have had a switcher anyway, all this would do is save you a little cable management.  I'm using an infrared Pioneer box for my gaming consoles, and the switch actually works as a toslink extender too, or else I'd need to buy three 8 foot cables.


Edited by Sanctuary - 12/16/13 at 4:17am
post #19033 of 23016
Thread Starter 
I owned one of those, as well as a black one. Both didn't work right.
post #19034 of 23016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Pretty sure the MMX300 is one of the 32ohm DT770s. beyerdynamic is inconsistent with their sound signatures, as there have been 32ohm 770s with balanced signatures, and ones with a lot of bass. Not to mention my overly bassy 600ohm...

 

I had 2 32 Ohm Editions, one of them them LE and two MMX 300 2013. They are not the same to me. LE and regular 32 Ohm are noticably boomier in bass Both MMX 300 need 45 at my volume dial contrary to the 32 Ohms that need far less (25-30)

post #19035 of 23016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoori View Post
 

What should I be pairing with q701's  that will be used on my PC and absolutely nothing else? I have nothing but onboard sound currently.

 

I asked this recently.

 

Get a Xonar soundcard. Anything from the DGX to STX, depending on how much you want to spend. Then hook that up to a Schiit Magni amp. You can get both from Amazon/Newegg.

 

EDIT - Actually, if you are getting a Schiit Magni, make sure you are either getting a soundcard with an RCA output or know that you may also need to get a 3.5MM to RCA adapter if the soundcard does not have RCA out.


Edited by CubemonkeyNYC - 12/16/13 at 6:34am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG K612 and K712 Pro added + edits)