- 116 Posts. Joined 7/2008
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14More
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 2/18/13 at 1:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Gaming: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M50? Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)Last edited: 7/29/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Gaming)Last edited: 12/28/12
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
below is a review of of the v-moda xs! check out my channel(like and subscribe) recently uploaded a review and comparison with the v-moda m100s
I've read a lot of diverging comments about these headphones and I think there is a problem. These are non-powered studio monitor headphones. They are not meant to have perfect sound quality, and...
Remember: "Stay away from Razer". Razer headphones are just meant to be "fun" for a certain amount of time. After a few weeks they either break or become really uncomfortable. The sound is overall...
First I’d like to thank HiFiMAN for sending me their new HM-700 DAP and RE-400B (balanced version of the RE-400) bundle for me to review. I have always wondered about the balanced players that...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG K612 and K712 Pro added + edits) - Page 1033post #15481 of 230747/29/13 at 10:50pmWhat about the Sony MDR - R1? anyone tried this? Im guessing for gaming, only the X1, 990 Pro, and maybe MA900 are the only oneswith good bass and good sound stage for surround sound?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #15482 of 230747/29/13 at 10:51pmQuote:Originally Posted by kman1211
I really think the Sony MDR-MA900 needs to be added to this review. They are phenomenal for gaming, their soundstage is incredible and very 3D sounding. I honestly think their soundstage is quite a bit better than the Q701s and HD 598s, both of which can sound a bit congested and 2D in comparison.
Are they really better than the Q701's for competitive gaming? Did you A/B compare them or is that based off memory?
Edited by cheuh - 7/30/13 at 1:00ampost #15483 of 230747/29/13 at 10:52pm
I scored the Philips Fidelio X1 headphones a week ago for $237 from Sonicelectronix (they had a coupon code up when I order that took off $12 from their normal price). This is my first set of killer headphones ever and I am shocked each time I use. The sound is simply incredible. Prior to this I had only used Turtle Beach headphones and all I can say is the ones I had from TB were crap compared to these. I have the X1 hooked up to a Mixamp and I cannot believe the sounds I have been missing on my PS3 and 360. They also feel great when I wear them with my glasses.
I am a believer in the X1.post #15484 of 230747/29/13 at 10:58pmThat's a bit of a shame, I would love for Beyer to release an open-back that isn't overly elevated in the treble. I did like the T1 when I heard it but I agree it's a bit bright and tizzy, wouldnt be a headphone I would buy, I cant handle elevated treble for extended periods of time. The T1 was less bright than the HD 800 for me though, which I found rather unpleasant, it didn't sound harsh but it was quite bright and splashy sounding and some reason it gave me ear fatigue in a short amount of time.
I may consider loaning my MA900s out but it will be a while if I do as I'm kind of moving around a good deal until school starts up again.post #15485 of 230747/29/13 at 11:11pmI can't say for sure on the Q701 yet, I am going off memory on them sadly. I could be wrong though. I always had a little trouble truly grasping the Q701s soundstage and imaging properly while with the MA900 I never did. I will be able to compare them properly when i can borrow my friends Q701. I did hear the MA900 vs HD 598 though.post #15486 of 230747/30/13 at 12:57ampost #15487 of 230747/30/13 at 2:06am
You might want to check this thread:
MLE's thread is mainly for console gamers.post #15488 of 230747/30/13 at 4:29ampost #15489 of 230747/30/13 at 4:40amQuote:
Oh no.. i was almost convinced on buying the t90's :p now after reading around a bit more maybe not.. the reviews seem mixed.. some people really love it while others hate it.. maybe i neet to hear it myself..post #15490 of 230747/30/13 at 4:58ampost #15491 of 230747/30/13 at 4:58amThread Starterpost #15492 of 230747/30/13 at 11:15am
Hi Mad Lust,
Thanks for all the great tips and info! Your thread is so useful. I'm a PC gamer and I play alot of competitive FPS games. I've decided to get a pair of Audio-Technica AD700X. Not alot of reviews out yet for this update on the AD700. I'm hoping I don't have any comfort issues. Just gonna have to try them out. I'm going to be feeding them from an ASUS Xonar DGX card and will definitely be using Dolby Headphone for some virtual surround positioning.
Kromaticpost #15493 of 230747/30/13 at 2:47pmKromatic,
I used an AD700 for three years, definitely a special headphone with great value. The downside is poor bass extension, so it sounds fairly lean, but the pluses are accurate, out-of-your-head soundstaging that is one of the best with virtual surround, light weight and low fatigue, and easy clarity to pick up on tactical details while gaming. I actually think it responds well to EQ, I used the bass-boost function with my Recon3D and was really impressed playing Metro: 2033, the scene where the anomaly rumbles past actually seemed bassy and powerful.
I would recommend not being afraid to bend the headband (3 places, in at the center then out flatter at 1/3rds areas) so that the ear cups sit more flush with your head (too wide at stock for most European heads), and maybe trying a hair-tie or medium sized rubber band between the "wings" to increase clamping force. They don't require as much special expensive amping as other headphones.
I think you will be quite impressed.post #15494 of 230747/30/13 at 10:22pm
So it only took me forever, but I finally put up my thread about Marantz receivers with Dolby Headphone processing. I hope it's useful for anyone looking at going the AVR route for DH.post #15495 of 230747/31/13 at 3:01amWith the dss/mix amp, do you have to feed it a Dolby digital (true surround signal) for it to process to Dolby headphone, or can it do it from a stereo source
Because surely optical can only output coded Dolby digital or 2 channel lpcm, so although consoles code output to Dolby digital it wouldn't work on pc unless you're running with Dolby digital live?
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG K612 and K712 Pro added + edits)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 12 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 1 minute ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 1 minute ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 3 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG... 4 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 5 minutes ago
- › What company has the sound signature I'm looking for? 5 minutes ago
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 (new dial-up 800X600 friendly) 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob