Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added) - Page 510

post #7636 of 27150
Thread Starter 
MY KSC-35 came in!

And they're NEW!

Better than spending $45 for a new pair. In the end it cost about $20 to get them repaired/fixed, though these are definitely new.

OMG, I missed that amazing tonality and airy sound! <3

My UE500 sounds... so meh now. rolleyes.gif
post #7637 of 27150

I was wondering if the  770 pro 80 is better than the cals for single player fun gaming headphone? I have a 598 for my fps gaming and love them for that. I find them lacking for games like Arkham City and Dead Space 2. I can get the cals for $100 and the pro 80 for $150. Also I just saw that the 990 pros are about $169 on Amazon. Would these be a better fit for the sound I'm looking for? If not is there enough of a difference in sound or comfort that I should go with the  770 pro 80 for $50 more than the cals? I would use the mix amp wired version no mic, and also my pc with a xonar u3 usb sound card. I am thinking about picking up a fiio e10 for my ipod and also for music listening on my pc, it wont be in the near future more like in 3 to 4 months. Any advice would be appreciated.

post #7638 of 27150
Thread Starter 
Just in case people would think of using the E10 with the Mixamp: The Fiio E10 is a USB dac/amp ONLY. It will not work without the USB connecting directly to the device you're using them on. That means it's to be mainly used for computers, and won't work with the Mixamp/etc..

The CAL and DT770 Pro 80 are similar for me, with the biggest difference being the DT770 has a harsher treble, and the CAL is warmer. The CAL has less bass bloat (but still quite bassy), is easier to drive (no amp needed). The 770 pro 80 needs an amp, has bigger soundstage, and better positioning (though for the purpose of fun gaming, the CALs are excellent at positioning anyways).

The DT770 Pro 80 with something like the E11 would put it over the top vs the CAL. Without an amp, the CAL is better, less muddy, and cheaper.

Comfort-wise, I find them both to be amazingly comfy, though the 770 pros get the extra point for velour pads.

The 990 Pro smokes the crap out of both, but they're open (which by the fact that you own the HD598, shouldn't be an issue), and they REQUIRE a desktop amp.

If you can spring for the 990 pros and a desktop amp like the E9/E09K, that is the BEST I've heard for fun gaming in that price range.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 9/20/12 at 8:15pm
post #7639 of 27150

Hi guys,

 

Really quite new to these forums, I just have a few quick questions I'd like to ask about the settings / virtual surround sound through my Xonar DGX on my HD598's.

1) What recommended settings would you use for DH 5.1 surround sound enabled games or such?
2) I've noticed if I set them to 6 channel and put games in 5.1, it sounds as if things that are in front of me are behind me etc. What would the reason behind this be?

I mainly just use my HD598's for games or my Z906's for music and movies. What would I need to set my EQ, virtual surround sound or Dolby Surround sound at to get the best performance out of both, or would I need two different profiles?


Thanks in advanced,
Chris

post #7640 of 27150

Ok didn't realize that about the E10.  Sounds like I'll be getting the e11 then in the near future unless you can recommend me something else. As for the headphones I would have to get an E9K for the 990 pro and that is going to add about $60 more than the e11 and it's not portable. I think I'll probably go with the pro 80 since I am planning on getting a portable headphone amp anyway in about 3 or 4 months. It seems your opinion is that they a much better value for only $50 more. If I wasn't going to get the portable amp then I think from what you're saying is that they are close enough that spending an extra $100 wouldn't really be worth it.
 

post #7641 of 27150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcris View Post

Really quite new to these forums, I just have a few quick questions I'd like to ask about the settings / virtual surround sound through my Xonar DGX on my HD598's.
1) What recommended settings would you use for DH 5.1 surround sound enabled games or such?
2) I've noticed if I set them to 6 channel and put games in 5.1, it sounds as if things that are in front of me are behind me etc. What would the reason behind this be?
I mainly just use my HD598's for games or my Z906's for music and movies. What would I need to set my EQ, virtual surround sound or Dolby Surround sound at to get the best performance out of both, or would I need two different profiles?

5.1 audio and 6-channel really refers to the same thing, the ".1" denotes the subwoofer,

If you were not using a sub-woofer and just six regular speakers, it would be 6.0 audio.

 

How is the Z906 connected to the Xonar DG, if 3 analog (3.5nmm) cables, you might have the wires crossed.

post #7642 of 27150
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

5.1 audio and 6-channel really refers to the same thing, the ".1" denotes the subwoofer,

If you were not using a sub-woofer and just six regular speakers, it would be 6.0 audio.

 

How is the Z906 connected to the Xonar DG, if 3 analog (3.5nmm) cables, you might have the wires crossed.

 


I have the Z906's plugged in to the three 3.5mm ports at the back of the Xonar (green to green, black to black etc) I have to unplug the green on when I want to use my HD598's however, unless I use my Front Headphone In port, but I think that just looks messy. My issue is the HD598's missing sounds in games, if something is in front of me when DH and virtual 7.1 is active, it sounds as if it's behind me..

post #7643 of 27150

So all this gear talk is cool and all, but:
BORDERLANDS 2 AND TORCHLIGHT 2 THIS WEEK. (actually, today for me.)

post #7644 of 27150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcris View Post

I have the Z906's plugged in to the three 3.5mm ports at the back of the Xonar (green to green, black to black etc) I have to unplug the green on when I want to use my HD598's however, unless I use my Front Headphone In port, but I think that just looks messy. My issue is the HD598's missing sounds in games, if something is in front of me when DH and virtual 7.1 is active, it sounds as if it's behind me..

Is the on-board audio turned off, in the bios?

Try leaving Virtual 7.1 turned off (a guess).

Have you tested with Dolby Headphone turned off?

Try installing the "Unified Xonar Drivers" from the website Brainbit, just in case their is something funny in your current software install.

Maybe someone else will offer better ideas.

post #7645 of 27150

I'll try and turn the on-board audio off in the bios and reinstalling the drivers. The headset seems to work fine when it's on 2 channel with Dolby Surround and 7.1 active just not when I switch it to 6 channel. I think I understand now, 2 channel means 2 speakers (headphones) and 6 channels means 5.1 (5 speakers, 1 sub) . That would make sense that if I'm forcing my headset to emulate 6 speakers of course its going to get confused.


Is there any significant benefit to installing the new drivers or are the ones that came with the card enough?
Maybe they need updating!
 

post #7646 of 27150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcris View Post

I'll try and turn the on-board audio off in the bios and reinstalling the drivers. The headset seems to work fine when it's on 2 channel with Dolby Surround and 7.1 active just not when I switch it to 6 channel. I think I understand now, 2 channel means 2 speakers (headphones) and 6 channels means 5.1 (5 speakers, 1 sub) . That would make sense that if I'm forcing my headset to emulate 6 speakers of course its going to get confused.


Is there any significant benefit to installing the new drivers or are the ones that came with the card enough?
Maybe they need updating!
 

For surround sound (movies and gaming) for headphones, you want Audio channel set to "6-channel",

And Analog Out set to "Headphone", "Dolby Virtual Headphones" does all the processing for headphone surround sound.

 

Switch Audio Channel to 2-channel, for music.

 

The Third party "Unifed Xonar Drivers" are said to be an improvement over stock Asus Xonar software.

The Unified Xonar Drivers are usually the latest Asus software drivers (but with improvements).

post #7647 of 27150

So I have been looking for a wireless console gaming headset and ended up here.  I was wondering how everyone was gaming wirelessly with all of the wired headphone suggestions, but then I read to use the Mixamp 5.8 with a pair of wired headphones a couple of pages back.  Awesome thanks for the wealth of information here.  I was just wondering if there was other options to the Mixamp 5.8?  I did not even know that you could transmit your wired headphones wirelessly, now I am just trying to figure out all my options before I make a purchase.  I am so glad that I did not purchase a piece of junk wireless headset, just for it's wireless capabilities.

 

Is the Mixamp 5.8 the way to go?

 

 

Thanks for all information and suggestions.

 

Qualm

post #7648 of 27150

Yep, get the wireless Mixamp and you're pretty much set. I don't think that there's any other options out there. Enjoy.

post #7649 of 27150
Hi for all,
 
I'm new here, from Brazil, and since I'm not a "pro" at audio, i like to spend my money on a good thing (if you want to buy something for $100, why don't buy something MUCH better for $150? - for example).
 
I'm very interested on Dolby Headphone technology. I want to "start" on this world, because my situation:
 
I stay at my family house at week, going to home only on weekends. In my house i have a (basic) Home Theater, a Xbox ,a Wii and a HTPC.
So all the movies/series i want to watch on good screen size and with 5.1 audio. During the week i stay only with my notebook, and want to see some movies, but with TV sounds, is not possible (5.1 audio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2.1 audio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>²²²² TV 2.0)
 
So i want to buy a solution to see my movies and series on 5.1 with Dolby Headphone, and at weekend, have the chance to play videogame at dawn (it's not a good idea play a CoD or Halo at 2AM with a home theater on).
 
I read your opinion to the headphones/headsets. I have an wireless headset for xbox, so for me a headphone would be fine. I liked the Tritton 7.1+ AX720, for price and your review. But it's so hard to buy it and send to Brazil. I liked the "Creative Aurvana Live!" review. I would like to spend +/- $200 on ALL things (that includes the headphone/headset, the amp and the RCA -> Toslink converter, so i can play Wii or other stereo sources by the Toslink - this costs $35).
 
Sorry for asking this, but in my case, what you suggest? Will be 75% for movies and 25% games, but i would like that the performance be good for both cases. I find used AX720 amp (5.1 version) for a good price. This Creative Aurvana + AX720 amp will do the job good? And about the notebook sources? Just use some software to output the notebook audio to Dolby Headphone? Is this possible? If the amp plugs by USB and act too like a soundcard to take the 5.1 audio from notebook and send to the Headphone, it will be great to game too on it.
 
Thanks a lot for attention and sorry for any english mistakes, it's not my native language :/
post #7650 of 27150

Hi, I have been reading this whole thread for a long while. I would like to buy a good headphone for gaming/music mostly for fun, according to reviews and user opinions the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro or DT-990 Pro are good options.
I play on PC and own the Asus D2X, I don't want to spend much more than 150€/200$ (I live in Spain). I have found the DT-990 Pro, DT-770 M/PRO for almost the same price, 160€.
The problem with the DT-990 pro is that they are only sold with 250 ohm impedance, just Premium one's are 32 ohm and they are too expensive.
All of you suggest for the Beyerdynamics to be powered by an amp, but i don't understant that point, from what i've read, an external amp only gives you higher sound output, (or alters sound quality with it's own signature sound), I always play at night, when all is quiet, is it really worth it an amp in my case to power a 250 ohm headphone?

PD: I own a igrado headphone (use them while in the street) and if i connect them to my PC i only need 20%  volume...

Thank you very much! This thread is awesome.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added)