Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added) - Page 1776

post #26626 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxos View Post

Correct me if I am wrong (I am kinda learning all this myself), but DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter. Basically changes all the fancy pansy Binary 0's and 1's to an analog waveform. This waveform is nice and all but it is not "powerful" enough to pass the resistance, or impedance, of certain headphones which is why you need an amp. The amp helps drive that resistance of the drivers so that it can turn the waveform into ear-satisfying sound at an audible volume.
You've got it. DACs convert to analog, and they can come in packages with amps, but they might not (and many people prefer keeping their analog bits separated from their digital ones for noise purposes).

And just for clarity sake, you ALWAYS have an amplifier of some sort. The amp is the cricuit that provides the power needed to drive your transducers. It CAN be integrated, as it is in your phone, but a separate, dedicated amp has more room for better components. You always have a DAC, too (assuming a digital source, like a video game), and the same "dedicated components is better" rule applies.

You'll have to ask someone else about where the mixamp falls, though. I don't have any experience with them, and I don't need one since most of my gaming is done on PC. I assume it handles the "mixing" of surround sound down to two channels (two ears, two transducers) so you get 3D audio effects.
post #26627 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjawes View Post


You've got it. DACs convert to analog, and they can come in packages with amps, but they might not (and many people prefer keeping their analog bits separated from their digital ones for noise purposes).

And just for clarity sake, you ALWAYS have an amplifier of some sort. The amp is the cricuit that provides the power needed to drive your transducers. It CAN be integrated, as it is in your phone, but a separate, dedicated amp has more room for better components. You always have a DAC, too (assuming a digital source, like a video game), and the same "dedicated components is better" rule applies.

You'll have to ask someone else about where the mixamp falls, though. I don't have any experience with them, and I don't need one since most of my gaming is done on PC. I assume it handles the "mixing" of surround sound down to two channels (two ears, two transducers) so you get 3D audio effects.

Sweet! Thanks for the clarification! Question: Since you game on PC (I am an avid pc gamer too), what do you use for sound processing?

post #26628 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Those kinds of headphones only fully work on PC unless specifically stated to work for consoles. By that, I mean that you won't get the surround sound features on anything but PC.

Ok, what about the sound quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam21 View Post
 

I have the vengeance 1500, it is the wired version of 2000....it is hissy...

So you like how they sound?

post #26629 of 26634

they definitely sound better than other gimmicky headsets....but as I said they hiss....

 

If I were you I would save some money and consider one the following :

 

PC360 (the PC363D comes with a surround soundcard)

MMX 300

ATH-AG1 OR ATH-ADG1

post #26630 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxos View Post

Sweet! Thanks for the clarification! Question: Since you game on PC (I am an avid pc gamer too), what do you use for sound processing?
Game settings for the most part. I have an Asus Xonar DX feeding my Magni, but I haven't really toyed with the fancy settings. Probably something I should look into...
post #26631 of 26634

Hello,

Newbie here, thank you for reading my post. I am interested in getting some high end gaming headphones to play the new space combat simulator Star Citizen, and am interested in getting the best over ear headphones for both surround sound immersion and competition. I have read through Mad Lust Envy's reviews at the beginning of the thread and am primarily interested in the HD800's, the AKG 712's, the Alpha Dog headphones offered by MrSpeakers.com, and any other headphones which the community could recommend for me. Price is not an issue, I just want some recommendations for the best phones for the purposes listed above. I was also curious which amps you would recommend to go with any of these or other headphones you might recommend. I'm already dropping some serious coin on this game and the rig to play it, so I don't mind getting some expensive high end stuff, even if it's arguably over priced. 

 

Also curious if anyone here has tried any of the headphones listed above in conjunction with the Oculus Rift, and how the combination worked for you. I was wondering if the headband for the Rift interferes at all with the "seal" of the over ears phones around your ear or anything like that. 

 

Thank you again for reading and for any recommendations you could send my way!


Edited by voyager777 - Today at 1:35 pm
post #26632 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjawes View Post


Game settings for the most part. I have an Asus Xonar DX feeding my Magni, but I haven't really toyed with the fancy settings. Probably something I should look into...

Aw man! Well let me know how it sounds once you do! I am just keeping an open mind if I have to get a PCIE DAC+amp for pc and external (with same amp) for ps4 or external DAC with amp for both

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager777 View Post
 

Hello,

Newbie here, thank you for reading my post. I am interested in getting some high end gaming headphones to play the new space combat simulator Star Citizen, and am interested in getting the best over ear headphones for both surround sound immersion and competition. I have read through Mad Lust Envy's reviews at the beginning of the thread and am primarily interested in the HD800's, the AKG 712's, the Alpha Dog headphones offered by MrSpeakers.com, and any other headphones which the community could recommend for me. Price is not an issue, I just want some recommendations for the best phones for the purposes listed above. I was also curious which amps you would recommend to go with any of these or other headphones you might recommend. I'm already dropping some serious coin on this game and the rig to play it, so I don't mind getting some expensive high end stuff, even if it's arguably over priced. 

 

Also curious if anyone here has tried any of the headphones listed above in conjunction with the Oculus Rift, and how the combination worked for you. I was wondering if the headband for the Rift interferes at all with the "seal" of the over ears phones around your ear or anything like that. 

 

Thank you again for reading and for any recommendations you could send my way!

I can't actually help with this but I am super interested on what happens! I have always wanted to try out the HD800's but price is a problem for me. I am very curious about the DAC/AMP for this set up too!

post #26633 of 26634
Turtle beach has a new "elite" dts completely wireless unit coming out on the 4th. May be worth having just for the convenience factor.
post #26634 of 26634

If it were open back I'd be early in line to try it. But for a closed headset that's $300 and a DSP can't be used with any other headphones, I'll pass. I'll continue waiting for the TAC.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added)