About to buy creative aurvana live 1! or skullcandy slyr, mic dependent. Just before i do, can i ask why the Creative aurvana live! 2 are not reviewed or recommended as much? They look more sturdy than the CAL 1.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 9/21/14 at 4:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/26/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I barely used them... got one pair and a few months later the left earpiece started cutting sound. The retail shop opened them and did a messy job, were working and then stopped. Got a 2nd pair,...
Wow...these cans seem to generate a lot of passion! Mr. Tech Agent's review below is a pretty tough act to follow, but I will try. 1st a quote from the literature that comes with the HD 650's:...
Final Audio Adagio III Quick Review Thanks to Hifiheadphones for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/744122/final-audio-adagio-iii-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Oh god,...
I have owned my HD600 for 12-15 years now. I had to change headband and earpad de to weare after 10 years. I believe the Sennheiser HD600 is my best purchase EVER no matter what! I am extremely...
Great headphones. Seriously, I'm really impresed with the detailed and excellent natural balanced sound that this unit delivers. I currently own the K712 pro and the K702 65th Anniversary Edition,...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added) - Page 1334
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #19997 of 273261/13/14 at 2:00pmpost #19998 of 273261/13/14 at 2:02pmpost #19999 of 273261/13/14 at 2:15pmQuote:
They're inferior in sound quality and cost more.post #20000 of 273261/13/14 at 2:15pmThread StarterI have yet to hear any virtual surround give the sense of space that DH does. Yes, it's the one to sound LEAST like a headphone, and more like sounds are coming from everywhere, especially when it comes to rear positional cues. SBX would be my second choice.
The only one I personally felt to do it better was Beyerdynamic's Headzone, which sounded just as open, and less processed. That baby doesn't come cheap.
SBX, THX TS, etc all have very good surround emulation, but they sound like headphones being expanded. I'm still aware of what I'm wearing when I listen to those demos. DH's effect is quite different.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/13/14 at 2:18pmpost #20001 of 273261/13/14 at 3:10pmQuote:
I really don't have an answer yet for this as it is a dilemma. The way forward may not be available yet?post #20002 of 273261/13/14 at 3:33pmpost #20003 of 273261/13/14 at 3:42pmI just finished installing my old Turtle Beach DSS and since my X1 with the BoomPro have yet to arrive, I decided to have a listen with my generic no name headphones. Damn! What a difference my DSS makes in BF4 on my PS4. Better clarity, hard hitting bass and a nice sound stage. I wonder what the X1 will sound like. ...
Edited by DADDYDC650 - 1/13/14 at 4:44pmpost #20004 of 273261/13/14 at 4:12pm
I want Dolby Headphone for consoles.
Ear Force DSS (first version) 65€
Astro Mixamp 135€
Ear Force DSS2 (50€)
I use a external USB mic with PS4 so i don't need mic input in the decoder, is the first DSS quality as good as Astro Mixamp??? (it's half the price)
Do i need an amp or something with those devices and Sony MDR-MA900?
Can the Ear Force be used in PC for DH?
Thanks.post #20005 of 273261/13/14 at 5:28pm
k612s vs. HD598s.
If anyone has tested both of them, opinions would be greatly appreciated.
I can get both at roughly the same price and I've heard good things about both and is make it extremely hard to pick.
I've read that the k612s are very natural sounding with forward mids which I know is beneficial for gunshots and footsteps. I've also read that they can lack bass and some music genres won't be as nice on these. Some people also complain about the headband getting sore or uncomfortable, but it doesn't look like much of an issue to me.
As for the HD598s, they are said to have a wide and open sound stage and to be excellent for gaming. Also, heard they lack bass too but can do more genres, not sure which is worse. They are said to be more fun sounding while the 612s I heard will maybe lose the fun factor. As for comfort I haven't heard any complaints. Removable cable is also a nice feature.
I listen to all music genres, with raw acoustic and metal being my favorites. But can't forget the classics. For gaming, I basically stick to FPS so I obviously want a great sound stage.
Leave any negatives or positives, as both will help me decide.post #20006 of 273261/13/14 at 8:52pm
So, my Philips X1 and the BoomPro arrived today. I connected the audio jack to my Turtle Beach DSS and the mic to my PS4 controller's audio jack. via a Y cable. The sound is fantastic except I can't get the microphone to work at all. Can anyone provide some assistance?post #20007 of 273261/13/14 at 8:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by DADDYDC650
So, my Philips X1 and the BoomPro arrived today. I connected the audio jack to my Turtle Beach DSS and the mic to my PS4 controller's audio jack. via a Y cable. The sound is fantastic except I can't get the microphone to work at all. Can anyone provide some assistance?
Third party mics don't work with the DSS (so I've been told).post #20008 of 273261/13/14 at 9:22pmQuote:
That blows! I guess I'll return the V-MODA BoomPro since I already have a mic for my PC and it doesn't work on the PS4 the way I want it to work using the TB DSS. Hopefully Astro will release a proper headset that works with the PS4 AND Xbox One. The wait sucks!post #20009 of 273261/13/14 at 9:29pm
I think of DH and other virtual surround processing based on reprocessing 7.1 "home theater" surround as being 2D; it's a flat plane with no height cues.
I understand why you want 3D surround sound... so do I! But at this point, 3D surround must be something that developers integrated into the game when they were making it. That is beyond FiiO's control. Creative tried promoting OpenAL for a while, but essentially the gaming industry forgot about it. AMD's new integrated TrueAudio is still going to need games writing support for it, and the sound processing will probably be done on AMD parts before it is ever sent to an output.
The fact of the matter is that DH and it's 2D virtual surround peers are more universal. The console is still processing where sounds are directed, and external devices can only re-process this "home theater" designed 2D surround. More may be possible with a PC and designing an external soundcard, but it's still up to developers to integrate a 3D library of sounds into their game. Unless GenAudio is approachable by others and don't have an exclusivity contract with AMD, it would be impractical for FiiO to pursue a 3D surround setup.
That said, 2D surround is still a big competitive step up from 1D stereo, and the majority of the gamer market hasn't yet even experienced surround at this level with headphones. This fact and the more universal compatibility of 2D headphone surround is why I argue that, until the landscape changes (or FiiO grows and has the R&D to change it themselves), a 2D surround encoder is the practical direction FiiO should/could aim for today.Quote:The DSS itself is only "compatible" with Turtle Beach mics built into their headsets... what you do is connect the mic directly to the console's mic input. I think this is what DADDYDC650 was trying to do anyway, when he mentioned the Y-cable.Quote:Before returning the boompro, I'd wait to hear from Mad how he has his "3rd party mic" connected to the PS4. The DSS doesn't have to be involved with the mic signal chain to get the mic working.
Edited by Evshrug - 1/13/14 at 10:00pmpost #20010 of 273261/13/14 at 9:35pmQuote:
I'm using a mic plugged into the mixamp with my PS4. As I've mentioned before, it works just fine (that way) as long as you register the controller before the mixamp when it prompts "which user is using this device"
If he wants to use the boompro and get both chat and audio through it, using the DSS is out of the question (I would assume)... and the mixamp would be the ideal choice. If he gets a separate mic, however, then he can just plug that into the DS4 and the headphones to the DSS.
Edited by Change is Good - 1/13/14 at 10:18pm
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › FiiO X7, what is your dream DAP? ( updated on 7/11/2014) 1 minute ago
- › Havi B6 ! 2 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 3 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears 3 minutes ago
- › Vinnie Rossi LIO - Ultracapacitor-Powered, Modular Hi-Fi System is... 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 3 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Classic Color 2014 Edition: Unboxing and first impressions 3 minutes ago
- › DIY your own Theme for your lovely X3 3 minutes ago
- › Need reference headphones using a Scarlett 2i2 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SE215 by damianmb
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Willy 2 Streams
- › Final Audio Design Adagio III by mark2410
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)