- 433 Posts. Joined 9/2011
- Location: Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 9/21/14 at 4:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/21/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction So here's my contribution to the growing collection of reviews on Rock Jaw's Alfa Genus. For those of you interested in purchasing a pair, hopefully this is a useful addition; for...
OK, before I get into my review of the MDR-Z7 I feel a need to give some background and history of my time on head-fi. It might help make sense of my love of this headphone and why at the same...
Thanks to Brainwavz for this review set of pleather and velour replacement pads. I bought a pair of the pleather models a year or so ago in an effort to make my wife's JVC S400's more comfortable...
To give you an idea of where I'm coming from I have owned JH audio JH5 IEMs, Fostex T50rps, and Audio Technica ATH-M50x's. My Fostex T50rps were issued to me at audio engineering school and were...
I was reading a lot of stellar reviews on CAD products online -- not necessarily that they are top-notch performers but that they are an excellent value. Owning one of their microphones, I was...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added) - Page 1047post #15691 of 272338/8/13 at 10:59pmThanks Miceblue I am on my phone and lazy. I want a pair so bad though.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #15692 of 272338/8/13 at 11:06pmpost #15693 of 272338/8/13 at 11:11pmpost #15694 of 272338/8/13 at 11:14pmQuote:
I love my 3.1 they get way more head time then my DT990 600s and my CALs. To the point I am tempted to sell my Beyers to fund the upgrade. I will never part with my CALs, love them way to much.post #15695 of 272338/8/13 at 11:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by Change is Good
Finished the last couple chapters that I had left on Dead Space 3. I must say it was a bit disappointing compared to the other two. And the story was awful... . Audio and positional cues were less than average, IMO.
Now I'm on Metal Gear Rising. Audio and cues are ok, and the story seems interesting so far... very Kojimaish if I must say (even though he did not write this one). I'm still getting used to the hack n slash gameplay. It's never really been my style of liking.
I agree, it was dissapointing. I could only bear it with coop mode and the whole ice planet was pretty boring. Space chapters were definitely the best. Sound Design was worse than Dead Space 2 and 1 and both of them were already using a lot prebaked audio.post #15696 of 272338/9/13 at 2:12amThread StarterQuote:Hmm, seems very interesting. Not sure it will suit my specific tastes (I prefer warmer, medium speed, with bass emphasis), but it DOES seem to be a pure reference closed headphone. I really loved the MD 3.2, but it was definitely darker, warmer, and emotive, not exactly pure reference (which was perfectly fine for my tastes).Originally Posted by miceblue
You should at least post the link.
I'm happy for Dan. he's a real stand up guy. He deserves all the praise he gets. I'm a believer of the MD now, and I'm sure that those looking for a neutral, fast headphone won't be disappointed by the Alpha Dog.
The Mad Dog 3.2 is undoubtedly my favorite TRULY closed back headphone, and among my very faves period. I can only expect greatness from the Alpha Dogs, though in a different sense.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/9/13 at 2:21ampost #15697 of 272338/9/13 at 2:21amI have to wonder how they compare to LFF's Paradox. His mod, according to people, makes the T50RP sound similar to the HE-500 in some ways, as opposed to the Mad Dog's LCD-2-esque sound. If that's the case, and the Alpha Dog had a different sound from the Mad Dog according to Jude, the Alpha Dog may be a stronger contender for a closed-back gaming headphone for me.
Edited by miceblue - 8/9/13 at 2:23ampost #15698 of 272338/9/13 at 2:39amQuote:
That's what im going to find out- I assume amazon returns policy is pretty painless (and there won't be a problem to return them after trying the for a few days? Do I get the full 30 days to return a used product, or jut the 7 day's 'distance selling regulations'?Quote:Originally Posted by Evshrug
The U3 may "work" with OS X, but I'm assuming it doesn't add DH processing to multichannel audio, right? And that's the whole point of it, though it sounds like you have few Mac games... The Mac App Store and Steam catalogs are growing, FYI. I prefer Starcraft II in Mac, fewer bugs it seems (played HotS on PC, got weird shadows and looping audio), and some steam games if you buy one copy of the game, you can play it on either system (Like SW: the force unleashed. Weirdly it downloaded like 10x faster too).
Glad you're enjoying the E12! At some point people thought it's purpose was to be a bass machine, which is odd, but as I'm sure you're experiencing it's more about overall improvement and enlivening. I agree that the K701+amp is not a wholly 2x better experience than something like Koss KSC75 straight out of an iPod (listening to Calexico that way right now), BUT... don't you prefer it this way? Lol. Get used to it, and it'll be HARD to go back!
And yeah, the Recon3D USB + E12 + Q701 was good enoUgh for me, lol
The e12 made such a difference, it was 3x better, and the bass was there- I love it! Was decided unimpressed without the amp but the e12 fixed everything
Just need to make sure I'm feeding it good material, will try the recon/u7 with the e12, see which sounds best, might try a proper USB dac too- if it's a lot lot better I'd be happy to run 2 soundcards and switch between dac for music/movies and recon for games
DH does horrible things to music, haven't tried a movie yet but tbh I think I'd likely keep the signal as pure as possible, DH adds too much distortion (but its good for games)
You're right, the u3 doesn't have drivers for osx, so it just sends out plain audio- th e only reason I use it is because it let's me connect that to a USB hub under the desk and plug my headphones into that, so they're not coming out my laptop- all I have connected to the laptop is: spare power lead and USB cable to go to us hub, which makes it easy to grab and go when I need to, my desk is pretty minimal...Quote:Originally Posted by pietcux
I have a good friend that is a MAC user from the beginning of Apple. But he is also a gamer. He bought a PC two years age just because he wanted to have a real fast graphics card like the current Nvidia or AMD. He was sick and tired of either late and overpriced or never available cards. As Windows 7 came out he just went for it. Not to mention the sound possibilities he has now.......I think a serious gamer of current games should go PC or next gen consoles.
ATM I'm perfectly happy with the 650m in my laptop, the rest of the spec is 16gb, 2.7ghz quad core, 512gb ssd- best you could get, will get a thunderbolt gpu, or build a gaming pc if this ever gets out of date
I also have a ps3
I used to have an amazing gaming rig, but sold it
The mac I use for work, but when I realised how powerful it was I started gaming on it in bootcamp
Edited by firefly89 - 8/9/13 at 2:44ampost #15699 of 272338/9/13 at 6:04amThread StarterI'm warming up to the HP-800. It's definitely a headphone you have to spend like a week with.
I don't know if it's because I've now paired it up with the E12, but it sounds so much better than I initially thought. I'm quite fond of it. It's still definitely bassy as all hell, and warmer than basically anything I've used of late, but it's quite enjoyable and fatigue free. I'm digging the sound.post #15700 of 272338/9/13 at 8:58am
So, I've figured out that either the Lovely Cube amp, or a combination of the amp and any non-Audio Creation mode on the Titanium HD, seems to be causing a weird blending/muffling of the lower frequencies on the TH600 (and likely also the DT 880 before it), making it sound kind of congested. I guess this is probably a case where a slightly more detail-oriented or analytical-sounding amp could potentially help where the Lovely Cube can't. From what little I've read, something like the O2 or Magni might fit that bill. Anybody have experience with either of those amps? This is probably just another case where I'd have to buy something to find out.post #15701 of 272338/9/13 at 9:04amThread StarterI owned the Magni. It's a very neutral if just ever so slightly on the brighter side of neutral. Very crisp and clean. So it may be slightly leaning on detail retrieval than musicality. I stress slightly.
In other news,
The Nuforce HP-800 review is mostly written in, at least in terms of basic characteristics. I have a LOT of gaming to do with them, so don't expect the review too soon, but I do have a huge portion written in.
I'm hoping to score the M50LE, CAL, and SLYR to compare, though I make no promises.
I eventually want to re-write the CAL and M50 reviews to my more evolved review writing style.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/9/13 at 9:07ampost #15702 of 272338/9/13 at 9:38amQuote:Originally Posted by Dillweed
So, I've figured out that either the Lovely Cube amp, or a combination of the amp and any non-Audio Creation mode on the Titanium HD, seems to be causing a weird blending/muffling of the lower frequencies on the TH600 (and likely also the DT 880 before it), making it sound kind of congested. I guess this is probably a case where a slightly more detail-oriented or analytical-sounding amp could potentially help where the Lovely Cube can't. From what little I've read, something like the O2 or Magni might fit that bill. Anybody have experience with either of those amps? This is probably just another case where I'd have to buy something to find out.
Are you connecting the Lovely cube to the Titanium HD's headphone jack or RCA's (hopefully the RCAs)?post #15703 of 272338/9/13 at 9:51ampost #15704 of 272338/9/13 at 10:14amQuote:
Straight out of the RCA line outs. It's pretty much been that way since I got it.post #15705 of 272338/9/13 at 10:22am
Did some GTA on my recently acquired Fidelio L1's. I would say they are 95% fo the X1 and soo well made. However they are a touch heavy, and a touch tight.
For all around gaming I still love my AD700s.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Most comfortable, portable, over the ear cans? Under $200 7 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 15 seconds ago
- › KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread 34 seconds ago
- › Grado e Series 1 minute ago
- › Question about how music is reproduced 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by anoobis
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by dweaver
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by shockdoc
- › Shure SRH840 by justyourboy
- › CAD MH310 ( Superlux HD662 ) by p13rrot
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by twister6
- › Meridian Explorer by dnun8086
- › Audio Technica ATH-WS55i Portable Headphones with Microphone for... by oThatsEric
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Kamakahah
- › Advices for catching the right home loan
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3