- 116 Posts. Joined 7/2008
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 9/21/14 at 4:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: Yesterday
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The new iteration of the Brainwavz R3 is an intriguing earphone. They’re large earphones, each side containing two dynamic drivers in big pill shaped aluminium housings. They currently retail for...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
These headphones generally are excellent. They possess this remarkable mixture of openness and intimacy at the same time. There’s a true sense of soundstage, with a good width and depth and still...
Brainwavz S0 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation for the sample. Full Review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/743834/brainwavz-s0-review-by-mark2410 Brief: The S5 has a baby...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added) - Page 1031post #15451 of 272907/28/13 at 12:52pmThe X1 when u put it on your head, u look like an ugly mofo. Just take a mirror and look at urself. The 990 Pro on the other hand looks cleaner. The silver velour earpads do get stain easier, but they're still look cleaner, and u can buy a new one after a year or so. The only thing that the X1 does better than the 990 is the bass, and a bit less harsh on the treble. I just can't see myself wearing the X1 and look like an ugly mofo.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #15452 of 272907/28/13 at 1:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
Silver velour pads actually stain easier. Black velour just shows the dust easier.
The 990 pro is one of the ugliest headphones I've ever owned. The X1 is beautiful.
Both are huge and look dorky worn.
The X1 is a significant leap in sound quality over the 990 Pro. Make no mistake about that. There is nothing the 990 Pro does better.
I dunno what's gonna happen in a few years, but I plan on taking care of my pads. I'll probably ask for a replacement before warranty is up.
I purchased the X1 based on the overall positive responses from these boards, but I sent it back the same day and went back to my 990 Pro. It had nothing to do with sound quality. As soon as I put the X1 on I felt a difference in the comfort. The earpads just were not as comfortable for me as my 990s and they made my ears feel warm after only a few minutes.post #15453 of 272907/28/13 at 1:44pmThread StarterThe 990s spoil on comfort, I dont deny that. Those pads are heavenly. But you'll be stuck with them forever. If you find the X1 uncomfortable.post #15454 of 272907/28/13 at 2:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by familyguy26
I purchased the X1 based on the overall positive responses from these boards, but I sent it back the same day and went back to my 990 Pro. It had nothing to do with sound quality. As soon as I put the X1 on I felt a difference in the comfort. The earpads just were not as comfortable for me as my 990s and they made my ears feel warm after only a few minutes.
But what about the sound compare to your 990 Pro? If it wasn't for the comfort, would u keep the X1?post #15455 of 272907/28/13 at 4:01pmQuote:
I didn't have them long and I'm not as much as an audiophile as everyone else here so it's a bit hard to comment, but yes, if I could replace the earpads on the X1 with the ones from the dt990 then I would have kept them. I also want to clarify it was just the earpads that weren't that comfortable for me, but the other things like the overall size and comfort of the headband felt better than my 990 pro.post #15456 of 272907/28/13 at 7:22pmpost #15457 of 272907/28/13 at 8:30pm
Hey guys im looking for a cheap pair of gaming headphones for around $80 (less or more). I have heard great things about the AD-700's but i have heard that the base is low and I want a pair that is good for fps ( BF3) and for normal use like music and YouTube.post #15458 of 272907/28/13 at 9:04pmQuote:
If your music and movies do not need bass to sound good, get the AD700s.post #15459 of 272907/28/13 at 9:46pmpost #15460 of 272907/28/13 at 10:12pm
Damn, it's nice that u have both So which one do u use more for gaming? I would assume the X1? Also u have the Sound Blaster Z sound card too. That is exactly what I want to get. Just not sure whether I should get the DT 990 Pro or the X1.post #15461 of 272907/28/13 at 10:53pmpost #15462 of 272907/29/13 at 8:21amQuote:
Check out the CAL (Creative Aurvana Live!), it's by far the best bang for your buck out there for a gaming/musicality combo and they're right around your price range. The AD700 is going to be a bit more sterile sounding and I'd only recommend them for serious competitive gaming and if you are using 3D virtualization software, but you can always use EQ if they seem bass-light I suppose - the CAL is pretty warm. The AD700 will have the benefits of open headphones with a wider soundstage and more air. The CAL is really great if you need -or- don't mind a closed headphone - I've personally not tried them with surround software, but I still feel they position well in some well-suited games alone. I got my brother a pair and he loves them so far (slowly easing him to the dark side ) and I can say they are quite enjoyable in games like BF3. MLE's review of them is accurate from my experience.post #15463 of 272907/29/13 at 8:37ampost #15464 of 272907/29/13 at 9:34amQuote:Originally Posted by modulor
Check out the CAL (Creative Aurvana Live!), it's by far the best bang for your buck out there for a gaming/musicality combo and they're right around your price range. The AD700 is going to be a bit more sterile sounding and I'd only recommend them for serious competitive gaming and if you are using 3D virtualization software, but you can always use EQ if they seem bass-light I suppose - the CAL is pretty warm. The AD700 will have the benefits of open headphones with a wider soundstage and more air. The CAL is really great if you need -or- don't mind a closed headphone - I've personally not tried them with surround software, but I still feel they position well in some well-suited games alone. I got my brother a pair and he loves them so far (slowly easing him to the dark side ) and I can say they are quite enjoyable in games like BF3. MLE's review of them is accurate from my experience.
I agree CAL is awesome. Strap some HM5 pads on there if you have bigger ears and you have one of the lightest most comfortable under 100 phones around.
I would add Koss KSC75, Portapros with clips, or Samson SR80/Superlux 668b to your list as well.post #15465 of 272907/29/13 at 11:58amQuote:
What are HM5 pads that u're talking about? Are they velour?
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 33 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 3 minutes ago
- › Confused : Sennheiser CX 180 Street II Vs Mi In-ear... 4 minutes ago
- › New Release! The K7XX Massdrop First Edition - an exclusive from... 4 minutes ago
- › X3 firmware 3.22-3.24beta--M3U playlists, 5-band EQ. #nooneleftbehind 4 minutes ago
- › Winter 2015 AAMML Holiday Gift Exchange 5 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Cowon iAUDIO 7 16Gb by Climber
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheHeadPhoneGuy
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)