Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added) - Page 897

post #13441 of 27271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Sheesh what a pain, I dont game witht he oDac I listen to music while I game with the Odac, but yea it seems a sound card might be needed anyways... I think I have one slot open for it on my mobo. BUT that will have to wait till me next build

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

Your best bet to continue using the ODAC is to get either a bluetooth or usb mic, otherwise you would have to get a soundcard/DAC that has a mic/line-in since you can't have two devices running at once.

 

Ive read to not use the ODAC for gaming and instead use a dedicated soundcard, is that true?

Ive read the ODAC is actualy better the Xonar STX for music but I guess for gaming not so good?

 

So on my PC I can not use ODAC and have a working mic?

My motherboard has mic, also I have connected mic cable from my sound card Xonar DX to front of PC case.

so basicaly I can connect mic to either motherboard or soundcard, but this would not work if ODAC is my Amp/Dac?

post #13442 of 27271
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatzer View Post

 

 

Ive read to not use the ODAC for gaming and instead use a dedicated soundcard, is that true?

Ive read the ODAC is actualy better the Xonar STX for music but I guess for gaming not so good?

 

So on my PC I can not use ODAC and have a working mic?

My motherboard has mic, also I have connected mic cable from my sound card Xonar DX to front of PC case.

so basicaly I can connect mic to either motherboard or soundcard, but this would not work if ODAC is my Amp/Dac?

well I've found I can't use a mic, and as far as gaming goes, I don't need surround sound... I play rpgs and racers so all I need is GOOD BGM, and a mic. So for me I'm having to get a usb or blue tooth mic to use. Not a big deal as I don't even use in game voice chat all that much tbh. That and most of my online time is spent on monster hunter, where as my PC does emulating and some non intensive rpgs. 

post #13443 of 27271

I'm going to get the Q701s in a little while, thank you so much for this thread!

post #13444 of 27271
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post

I'm going to get the Q701s in a little while, thank you so much for this thread!

 

no problem! Mad suggested the dt 880s to me many months ago and I still love em! [Love my w1000x just as much though ;3] But what started me dwn the path or REAL quality audio was a suggestion I got from mad on thie forum ^^
post #13445 of 27271

Honestly, I was a bit underwhelmed by the Q701 for competitive gaming purposes. While the sound was very diffuse, I didn't find the cues themselves to be exceedingly precise or accurate. While it'd give me a good idea of what quadrant noises would be coming from, I wasn't always sure of their precise location. I'd even go as far as to call it misdirection.

 

I think the W3000ANVs are better in this regard, and perhaps even the W1000Xs. The W1000X felt more accurate to me than the Q701s, and had a benefit of subjectively better immersion thanks to its frequency response.

post #13446 of 27271
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X0 View Post

Honestly, I was a bit underwhelmed by the Q701 for competitive gaming purposes. While the sound was very diffuse, I didn't find the cues themselves to be exceedingly precise or accurate. While it'd give me a good idea of what quadrant noises would be coming from, I wasn't always sure of their precise location. I'd even go as far as to call it misdirection.

 

I think the W3000ANVs are better in this regard, and perhaps even the W1000Xs. The W1000X felt more accurate to me than the Q701s, and had a benefit of subjectively better immersion thanks to its frequency response.

Well, actually, video games are the third thing on my list of importance. I need headphones that are very neutral and good with composition, since I'm a music producer.  Then I, listen to music way more often then I game, so that's really important. I still want headphones for gaming though, and the Q701s fit every need I have.

post #13447 of 27271
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View PostWell, actually, video games are the third thing on my list of importance. I need headphones that are very neutral and good with composition, since I'm a music producer.  Then I, listen to music way more often then I game, so that's really important. I still want headphones for gaming though, and the Q701s fit every need I have.

Oh, I was just making a general comment. The imaging of the Q701 did seem more precise than my A900X (which was also capacious but was prone to more misdirection), but I was expecting greater. I do not think they live up to their reputation as far as "soundwhoring" is concerned.

 

I think the theory that open headphones are generally better for gaming is quite silly and needs further substantiation. A more diffuse soundfield does not necessarily lend itself to more precise placement within that space, and in my opinion there are many closed headphones that beat similarly-priced open headphones in the latter regard. I'd rather have a decent soundstage and great imaging (e.g. W1000X) than a great soundstage and decent imaging (e.g. Q701).


Edited by 3X0 - 5/11/13 at 4:20pm
post #13448 of 27271

Of course, you could just jump straight the HD800s and get both.
 

post #13449 of 27271
Thread Starter 
Don't know about you, but we all hear differently. From my days on Avsforum, the K70x and Q701 have been a consistent fave for soundwhoring and competitive gaming. There just isn't much better out there, IMHO.

Perhaps closed headphone may make sounds easier for you to pick out, but their lack of soundstage, especially depth, don't do anything for me for the most part.

There are exceptions, but overall, open, large soundstage headphones are the most ideal to me.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 5/11/13 at 8:29pm
post #13450 of 27271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post
So laptop #3 came in, and finally the HDMI input works.

Of course, nothing is ever easy, and no windows updates will install, nor will switching to dedicated graphics work on the laptop screen. It works if I use the HDMI output to my TV.

I did what any sane person would do and tried reformatting the drive, but it wont let me, saying there are files missing. Of course, I dont have a Windows installation CD, and I have to wait for my boy to bring it tomorrow. HOPEFULLY installing Windows 7 will bring less problems than 8. Even then, it doesn't guarantee that the laptop screen will accept the dedicated graphics card. Sigh...

 

Huh...in any case, you got a Windows 8 COA with license key printed somewhere on that laptop, right? In that case, there are legal ways to obtain Windows 8 installation DVD images, and you'll just have to supply that serial yourself.

 

Still, I'd already go with Windows 7 if at all possible, unless some proprietary aspect of that laptop only works right with Win8. (Laptops are finicky as hell due to all the proprietary bits...)

 

I'm still stumped as to why the HDMI input now works, but several other things don't...it shouldn't be this hard for them to make a decent gaming laptop that just happens to have an HDMI input. What the hell, Dell/Alienware?

post #13451 of 27271
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X0 View Post

Oh, I was just making a general comment. The imaging of the Q701 did seem more precise than my A900X (which was also capacious but was prone to more misdirection), but I was expecting greater. I do not think they live up to their reputation as far as "soundwhoring" is concerned.

 

I think the theory that open headphones are generally better for gaming is quite silly and needs further substantiation. A more diffuse soundfield does not necessarily lend itself to more precise placement within that space, and in my opinion there are many closed headphones that beat similarly-priced open headphones in the latter regard. I'd rather have a decent soundstage and great imaging (e.g. W1000X) than a great soundstage and decent imaging (e.g. Q701).

Does "imaging" mean to know exact location of enemy (foot step, noise)?

While "soundstage" means that W1000X sounds like a small room and Q701 sound like a bigger room?

 

I can't find W1000X for sale, wonder if the A1000X is similar headphone?

 

Many ppl are happy with the PC360 it's also almost half the price of Q701, maybe I order both and compare...

post #13452 of 27271
Thread Starter 
They're half the price because sound isn't only about positioning and soundstage. The Q701 is a much better headphone overall. If your main purpose is competitive gaming, then just get the AD700/HD555/PC360 and save money.

Just because those are aimed strictly for competitive doesn't mean they'll be anywhere near as enjoyable as something like the Q701.

You can buy a cheap brand LCD HDTV which shows the same image as a high end Panasonic V series plasma HDTV. Doesn't mean it shows it at the same level of quality.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 5/12/13 at 4:40am
post #13453 of 27271
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatzer View PostDoes "imaging" mean to know exact location of enemy (foot step, noise)?

While "soundstage" means that W1000X sounds like a small room and Q701 sound like a bigger room?

Pretty much. The W1000X soundstage is noticeably somewhat larger than that of other closed headphones (e.g. A900X, DT 770 LE), though.

 

For example, the Q701 gives me an approximation of a sound that is good for a 40-50 degree radius/arc. The W1000X is closer to 30 degrees. The W3000ANV is something like 15. The HD 800s are 0-3. JH13s are 0-5. These are all very rough estimates.

 

Pinpointing the sound is nice, but what was really bothering me about the Q701 is that the fuzzy diffuse radius/arc between where a sound is projected and its actual source in the 3D world is big enough that it might cause occasional misdirection (e.g. the sound is actually in a different quadrant than I would expect). Its clarity and separation help counterbalance this, but it's still the fuzziness of its imaging that made it a bit of a letdown in this regard for me.

 

It could be my Dolby Headphone settings, but I somehow doubt that would allow the Q701 to pull ahead from the woodies instead of just improving all of them.

 

In its defense, the airiness and separation of the Q701 make it easy to pull apart sounds although it's less immersive as well. And it's awesome for music -- highly underrated in this regard.


Edited by 3X0 - 5/12/13 at 5:28am
post #13454 of 27271
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X0 View Post

Pretty much. The W1000X soundstage is noticeably somewhat larger than that of other closed headphones (e.g. A900X, DT 770 LE), though.

 

For example, the Q701 gives me an approximation of a sound that is good for a 40-50 degree radius/arc. The W1000X is closer to 30 degrees. The W3000ANV is something like 15. The HD 800s are 0-3. JH13s are 0-5. These are all very rough estimates.

 

Pinpointing the sound is nice, but what was really bothering me about the Q701 is that the fuzzy diffuse radius/arc between where a sound is projected and its actual source in the 3D world is big enough that it might cause occasional misdirection (e.g. the sound is actually in a different quadrant than I would expect). Its clarity and separation help counterbalance this, but it's still the fuzziness of its imaging that made it a bit of a letdown in this regard for me.

 

It could be my Dolby Headphone settings, but I somehow doubt that would allow the Q701 to pull ahead from the woodies instead of just improving all of them.

 

In its defense, the airiness and separation of the Q701 make it easy to pull apart sounds although it's less immersive as well. And it's awesome for music -- highly underrated in this regard.

 

Thanks for really good post!

 

So basicaly the HD 800s are best for competitive gaming then?

Atleast when it comes to pinpoint enemy positions.

post #13455 of 27271
I agree with 3XO on the open vs closed headphone thing. Open headsets just didn't do it for me. So i stuck with the mmx300 and have fallen in love. Sold my astro a40 the other day, in fact.
Edited by tmaxx123 - 5/12/13 at 11:24am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added)