Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added) - Page 749

post #11221 of 27883
Quote:
Originally Posted by I95North View Post

Cool thanks for the heads up and yes your right the koss is 500v plus.. So SB means,standard bias "200v" and the PB is pro bias "500v plus"..

 

No, the "SB" means "self-biasing" when it comes to Stax transformer boxes. That variant of the SRD-7 has no AC outlet plug, and instead derives its bias voltage from the input signal.

 

If you want to tell what bias outputs a Stax driver unit has, you look at the plugs themselves. If they have a center hole, they're Normal bias. If they don't, they're Pro bias, and will have "PRO ONLY" text written under them to boot, while any 6-pin Normal bias outlets will read "NORMAL" underneath.

 

Also, MLE, I forgot to tell you, but the mini-USB cable included with the ODAC seems to be broken somehow. I substituted one of my own, and it works just fine.

 

Incidentally, the ODAC lacks the audio issues I had trying the Windows 7/8 What U Hear/Stereo Mix trick with my other USB audio devices. I wonder why...might have something to do with its plug-and-play nature.


Edited by NamelessPFG - 1/25/13 at 7:33pm
post #11222 of 27883
Thread Starter 
I just threw that usb in there out of the bajillion I have. Just toss it. Hope the others after you have a mini usb to test the ODAC with, lol.

As for the person telling me about their Mixamp, I dont want the 2013. I'm bidding on the 2011.

Man, setting up this damn receiver is an absolute pain in the ass. They couldnt have called the inputs 'INPUT 1' etc? I have the pc, ps3, ps2, and tv hooked up (everything only audio except the pc), and I have to remember which one is under the VCR input, TAPE input, etc. So annoying. I cant even get the component input to work for my ps2, so I have to send the video directly to the TV. rolleyes.gif

I wish it came with a manual, because this thing is NOT user friendly. Slowly figuring out some tricks, but still having problems getting the optical inputs to play for specific inputs. The pre-out (testing it with my soundbar) plays at all times, even when using headphones, and I cant get into the settings unless I have the headphone unplugged.

Just.. I'm regretting this.

As far as the Dolby Headohone itself, sounds like what I'm used to, so it looks like only Dolby Headphone Room 2, with no option to change it. Bass and treble controls aren't accessible for the headohone jack. The noise floor is silent until you get to volumes that would make your ears explode, so thats a very good thing. Performance-wise, the receiver is perfectly fine, and better than all the Mixamps in terms of raw sound quality. I'm just super frustrated with the interface, and it's difficulty.

I fired up Avatar to see how it handles DTS and the bass, and it was spectacular. No clipping or distortion like what happens on the Mixamp. This is definitely gonna be put to use.

I was supposed to go see the potential love of my life, and told her I was busy trying to figure this BS out, and I wouldn't be a good date with my mind so preoccupied. rolleyes.gif
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/25/13 at 8:25pm
post #11223 of 27883
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

 

Renaming the same old inputs isn't really a new thing, and neither is mapping any particular digital audio input to an analog AV input, but today's receivers double as video processors these days, like upscaling source video to 1080p or whatever you desire. (I wonder if they can transcode HDMI to component, or if that's out of the question because of stupid HDCP.)

 

 

I didn't mean for it to sound like it was groundbreaking and new, lol. I was just suggesting that is what the problem was. And no, can't convert HDMI to component :(

 

-Erik

post #11224 of 27883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Man, setting up this damn receiver is an absolute pain in the ass. They couldnt have called the inputs 'INPUT 1' etc? I have the pc, ps3, ps2, and tv hooked up (everything only audio except the pc), and I have to remember which one is under the VCR input, TAPE input, etc. So annoying. I cant even get the component input to work for my ps2, so I have to send the video directly to the TV. rolleyes.gif

I wish it came with a manual, because this thing is NOT user friendly. Slowly figuring out some tricks, but still having problems getting the optical inputs to play for specific inputs. The pre-out (testing it with my soundbar) plays at all times, even when using headphones, and I cant get into the settings unless I have the headphone unplugged.

Just.. I'm regretting this.

 

Manual here. Once you get it all hooked up and setup correctly, you will enjoy it :) Regarding the component issue. I don't believe it converts analog sources to hdmi. So for all analog sources, you should run a set of component cables from the receiver to the tv.

 

-Erik

post #11225 of 27883
Thread Starter 
Ah ok. I forget this thing is old.

It really is stupid about the PS3 not working on it though. That's the main reason I even have this ridiculous thing.

I'll have to read that pdf when I get home from work.

I wonder if it will convert multi channel pcm to Dolby Headphone too. The Wii U...
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/25/13 at 9:08pm
post #11226 of 27883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Ah ok. I forget this thing is old.

It really is stupid about the PS3 not working on it though. That's the main reason I even have this ridiculous thing.

I'll have to read that pdf when I get home from work.

I wonder if it will convert multi channel pcm to Dolby Headphone too. The Wii U...

You should be able to get the PS3 to work. Do you have the hdmi audio option enabled? It might be set to through which sends the sound to the tv. What exactly happens when you have the PS3 on?

-Erik
post #11227 of 27883
Thread Starter 
Well, as soon as I plug the ps3 into the receiver it freezes. I have to unplug the power for the ps3. If I have it hooked up and then turn it on, the ps3 turns on, and then it just freezes once it loads.
post #11228 of 27883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Well, as soon as I plug the ps3 into the receiver it freezes. I have to unplug the power for the ps3. If I have it hooked up and then turn it on, the ps3 turns on, and then it just freezes once it loads.

Have you tried doing a "reset" with both devices?

post #11229 of 27883
Thread Starter 
Yes, ive done the reset to both. I had thought maybe it was maybe that it only took 1080i or something but that wasnt the case.
post #11230 of 27883
Thread Starter 
I wish I had the real remote to this thing. Its probably some syncing issues that can probably be turned off. Maybe its overloading the ps3 somehow.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/25/13 at 9:41pm
post #11231 of 27883

Your PS3 hdmi problems might just be that the PS3 doesn't like  hdmi v1.1 spec devices.

post #11232 of 27883
Thread Starter 
Damn it. frown.gif

Can you think of any way to circumvent this? Maybe getting old school HDMI cables in hopes of throttling the signal down to Hdmi 1.1 levels? Not sure how the tech works.
post #11233 of 27883

Sadly, I don't think that'll work.

 

Have you tried powering on the PS3 first then the receiver and then the tv?

post #11234 of 27883
Not sure it'll help with the PS3 issue at all, but as far as dealing with the receiver in general you could try and see if there's any guides online for it or Marantz's old lineup... If the manual's anything like my Denon's it's probably a joke, you can surely figure stuff out on your own but having it spelled out can save a ton of time. The guide/FAQ that's out there for Denons is absolutely amazing, better than any manual could ever be.

My receiver not only lets you rename the inputs but you can completely re-order them so 1 isn't really 1 anymore (and will then map to a different remote button)... I've had family members make a mess of it in the past and my setup is relatively simple (it's just 3 HDMI devices and one composite hooked up, with a spare HDMI hooked up to a long cable for cameras/PC/etc). Oh and a date >>>>> futzing with a receiver, seriously. tongue.gif

Are you using the Annies straight off it right now or from the hp output to your Compass?
Edited by Impulse - 1/26/13 at 12:05am
post #11235 of 27883
Quote:
Originally Posted by burritoboy9984 View Post

Manual here. Once you get it all hooked up and setup correctly, you will enjoy it smily_headphones1.gif Regarding the component issue. I don't believe it converts analog sources to hdmi. So for all analog sources, you should run a set of component cables from the receiver to the tv.

-Erik
Troubleshooting section is on page 43.
Looks like plugging in headphones is supposed to switch away from speaker output... But then, I suspect Mad's soundbar is connected via the RCA "Tape" recording output, which would continue receiving sound. Cuz, you know, Mad loves his headphones but doesn't own "real" speakers biggrin.gif There's some stuff about HDMI troubleshooting too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I wish I had the real remote to this thing. Its probably some syncing issues that can probably be turned off. Maybe its overloading the ps3 somehow.
I had ONECALL.net share a link for remote replacements recently, I'll see if I can dig it up. May not be worth buying though. Edit: lol, it's just remote.com

I'm glad the Annies sound great off of the receiver!
Edited by Evshrug - 1/26/13 at 2:13am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014: Beyerdynamic T51i Added)