- 14,734 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K 701 Whitetagged by Qkzz, 12/11/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 9/21/14 at 4:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
In short words: The Fidue is on par with the Sony EX1000 (little less sound stage and depth, but better, more flat sound signature) Downside: Cable plugs to the earphone speakers was...
I am an audiophile and these cans really deliver! Spacious and open with a neutral but pacy kick. These phones are the business but deserve a headphone amp to really bounce! Nevertheless, you will...
HiFiMAN RE-300h Review with RE-400 comparisons and comments Disclaimer: The following review is my subjective assessment of the headphone. I am in no way affiliated with HiFiMAN nor am I...
Sorry for no actual review as i have just got into audio recently and this is my first pair or good headphones. But even i could tell there was alot of sub bass not loud but its definitely...
Ever since picking these IEMs up, they have been my go-to pair for almost every genre of music. They provide a great balance of neutrality paired with extremely forward and lush mids which do not...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 1/4/2015: Beyerdynamic T70 Added) - Page 1020post #15286 of 287017/19/13 at 8:42pmThread StarterI dont think so, but you might get away with selling consoles in the source section. I'm trying to sell my 3DS XL for $150. I never use it, other than when I played Fire Emblem...
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #15287 of 287017/20/13 at 1:26amQuote:Originally Posted by Mackem
I think the HD558s are ideal for gaming as many mentioned but not sure about the bass levels. I've come to appreciate IEMs and such with less bass but I listened to a pair of AD700s and there was just nothing. The 558s look amazing in terms of comfort which is what initially drew me to them.
I own a HD558 and it's one of my main headphones for gaming. Certainly, they're not anywhere close to even be called bassy but I feel that they're pretty alright.
Coupled with the fact that I run it with a DSS on the PS3 and a soundcard on the PC, I always add a little bit to the bass and everything just seems to feel right. As a bonus, the HD558s also respond pretty well to EQing so if that's your thing, go with it!
I think the best thing about the HD558s are its comfort although I know many people do not like the Sennheiser clamp. I have a small head, so it's fine for me however. I just wish the earpads are as plush as the HD598 though.
Competitive wise (I don't play FPS anymore, they're silly), playing Dota 2 and SC2 on such a headphone that does everything right but not exceptional, is I think a plus mentally. At least I don't have to be blaming my cans for anything and just concentrate on playing the game. That's what I like about the HD558, does everything well but not exceptional and does nothing really that bad.
It is a very well balanced headphone.
On single-player only driven games though, I'd honestly take the HE-400 or X1 over the HD558 of course.
Edited by benbenkr - 7/20/13 at 1:32ampost #15288 of 287017/20/13 at 2:00ampost #15289 of 287017/20/13 at 4:45amQuote:The M-100 doesn't have nearly the recessed mids of the HE-400... That alone made the HE-400 genre-specific for me, but I have yet to feel such a concern with the M-100. I don't know how well you know me and my listening history, but I'm a self-professed non-basshead, and I feel the M-100 is pleasantly warm without overdoing it. I know you didn't ask about the treble, but for the sake of completeness, the treble is NOT lifted much more than the mids, compared to my older headphones the M-100 is slightly dark, but the treble actually has good extension and somehow good instrument separation and decent soundstage. I have to be a little more careful when amping than with the better-damped Q701, but unamped the M-100 easily sounds more lively and dynamic than a Q701 plugged into my iPad or even E12. Finally, it is a pretty piece of industrial design, the matte-black earcups keep it design-quiet but upon close inspection it oozes quality. I don't think anyone with a pair of Beats would say I cheaped out, in fact I've had people in my mall ask what they are.Originally Posted by Change is Good
Evs, I see you just purchased the M100. I think it may be too bassy and recessed in the mids for my taste for me, though. Congrats as I hear that is a lovely piece to have, nonetheless.
I will be trying out the MDR-1R, first, to see if it fits my need for portability and sound. The X1 will be more of a beneficial can to have around... when the time comes.
The M-100 satisfies for me perfectly the need you described for a portable easier to remove when someone wants to talk. The downside is, at least in my case, they pin back the edge of my ears, and after an hour it feels like the main part of my ear touches the driver enclosure unless I readjust positioning (or take a 2 minute break), so at home it's nice to have a marathon comfort headphone. That said, I may be getting used to it... I saw Transformers: DSotM two nights ago, initially I started with my Q701's but I switched to the M-100 for the sound signature, and though I felt the movie was 30 or 45 minutes too long, I was happy using my M-100 as long as I changed position every once in a while.
I don't know anything about the MDR-1, not even how they look, except that they're supposed to be very comfortable. I'm a little curious to know how they sound, but so far FWIR they don't have that "something special" the M-100 has.
Edited by Evshrug - 7/20/13 at 4:50ampost #15290 of 287017/20/13 at 3:42pmQuote:
I had the MDR-1R for only a short period when it came out. The comfort and the look is awesome, but they sounded kinda meh or uninspired to me. No competition for the likes of HD 650 or my Ultrasone Signature DJ. You might be disappointed.post #15291 of 287017/21/13 at 2:13amQuote:
I figured you would have kept it to play Shin Megami Tensei IV, at the very least...
I'd jump on the offer myself, but between the TM HOTAS Warthog and this bloody Steam sale, $150's too much for me right now.post #15292 of 287017/21/13 at 2:15amThread Starterpost #15293 of 287017/21/13 at 6:44am
Hey everyone. I just read about this easy to do mod for the DT 990's: http://www.head-fi.org/t/663323/beyerdynamic-dt990-pro-mod-i-came-up-with Sounds like this could improve the competetive gaming angle of these cans. Is any DT 990 owner willing to try this and post results? Thanks.post #15294 of 287017/21/13 at 6:55amThread StarterThat can't possibly be good for the treble. Mods come and go, but when they first come, people are always quick to say it does nothing to affect the sound negatively. With dynamic cans, if you take away something, something elsewhere is added. Likewise, if you add something, something else gets taken away. No such thing as a free boost.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 7/21/13 at 6:58ampost #15295 of 287017/21/13 at 9:31amQuote:
I've heard good things about the HOTAS, even with Mechwarrior Online (which doesn't play with joysticks very well). Be sure to let us all know whether it was worth it. Sorry about your wallet!post #15296 of 287017/21/13 at 11:31amQuote:
This is how you know you're on head-fi.
As a side note, I just watched 4 episodes of TriGun last night.post #15297 of 287017/21/13 at 1:49pmThread Starterpost #15298 of 287017/21/13 at 2:02pm
I have a 2013 Astro Mixamp for sale, virtually like new, all cables and packaging included (minus the quick start sheet that is available online anyways).
If anyone is interested in buying, shoot a PM my way and I'll hook you up. I don't want to sell it on eBay because I'll get ripped off ($20+) by fees.
Edited by Tus-Chan - 7/21/13 at 2:04pmpost #15299 of 287017/21/13 at 2:04pmpost #15300 of 287017/21/13 at 2:08pmThread StarterIt's a bit too old school for me (lack of detail and animation), but Vash is a memorable character and really pushes the series through. I can't wait to get to the movie. Considering the movie is only a few years old, I expect a huge boost in quality.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 1/4/2015: Beyerdynamic T70 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › What are the basics to set up a Headless Mac Mini? 2 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iPOD Video 5th 5.5th mSATA SSD MOD 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Review 4 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2... MicroSD Slot & 33 hours Hi-Res Playback 5 minutes ago
- › The All new FiiO X1, 192K/24B, PCM5142 DAC and 100mW output with LO... 5 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 7 minutes ago
- › THE ACOUSTIC MUSIC THREAD 8 minutes ago
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Airwin
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by Rogerlabarrie
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones by rigodeni
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3