- 14,736 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K 701 Whitetagged by Qkzz, 12/11/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 9/21/14 at 4:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
The Sony MDR-EX1000 is truly a legendary IEM but in a world of its own. Not even the latest XBA, or XBA hybrid Z series could rival its intimidating large single-dynamic driver setup. (my EX1000...
I had the opportunity to listen to this at length against some other similar priced gears. After pairing my device, it magically struck me WOW! As I tried a number of music tracks , it...
I managed to try this MDR-Ma900 against others in the same shop. The comfort and ergonomics of this Sony are very good. Initially, I was pleasantly surprised how nice it sounded. But...
I tried this twice with different devices. It sounds pretty good with big bass sounds and probably suit a lot of youngsters today. Many very young people that I know prefer Beats or something...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Cayin for providing me with a review sample of their new flagship N6 DAP which is currently available on Amazon and from other retailers like...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 1/4/2015: Beyerdynamic T70 Added) - Page 808post #12106 of 287243/4/13 at 1:48pmThread StarterYou'll just be wasting your money at this point. No headphone is gonna make positional cues noticeably more accurate. At this point, best thing is jumping to a new virtual surround tech device like the Beyer Headzone. You can only do so much with headphones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #12107 of 287243/4/13 at 2:14pm
Hi, I'm new here and new to advanced audio in general. I'm a pretty big xbox360 Call of Duty player and I'm ready to take the next step. I've been using turtle beach x11's, I think they're called for many years. After doing tons of research, the same names keep coming up, (Astro A40's, Sennheiser PC360&598, steelseries Siberia V2, etc, so I've decided to go for the ole' Ad700, mixamp, modmic combo.
My question is...Which mixamp to go with? Either Astro mixamp 2013, which I've read thousands of horror stories about or the previous version(2011 i think). Has anyone heard if Astro actually fixed their mixamp. I know about the updated firmware which is supposed to fix sound dropping and a new usb-mini to push the extra power, but i still read tons of unhappy customers on their forums. If anyone has any experience or suggestions I would greatly appreciate your feedback/help!!
Thanks very much for your timepost #12108 of 287243/4/13 at 2:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by theman1285
What would be a good upgrade from a AKG Q701. I am looking to get better directional cues while playing online with my playstation 3 and eventually playstation 4 when it comes out. I dont know if the headphone exists but is there a better headphone for gaming with even better directional cues?
Also where can you buy the Annie pads from? Wouldn't mind trying them on the Q701's
You could downgrade to the AD700, which has a bit better positioning. Just be aware of the sound signature that headphone comes with.
The HD598 might be a hair better then Q701, but not sure. Again, the signature...
The Q701 sound is a lot more fun than either of those two though, and it still has one of the best soundstages out there. You probably have to jump up to the HD800 to get an improvement (...maybe the T1).
The anniversary pads won't be available for another 2 weeks or so, FWIR in the thread below:
Edited by chicolom - 3/4/13 at 2:36pmpost #12109 of 287243/4/13 at 4:15pmThread StarterHe's looking at a very incremental improvement by getting an AD700 or HD598 over the Q701. Certainly not gonna get one more kill because he wore those instead of the Q701. The only thing that makes them even slightly better is because they sap out all the fun to let you purely focus on detail. Positional cues are basically a wash to me. People are putting too much stock on the difference between anything that's an 8 compared to a 9.5. There is no miraculous or even significant improvement, IMHO. There is different sound signatures that all equal awesome in competitive performance. If the Q701 ain't doing it for him in Dolby Headphone, it's either:
a.) The game. All games are not the same in terms of positional cues. Case in point: Modern Warfare 2 has the best positional cues out of all the Call of Duty games. Compare that game to Modern Warfare 3/BLOPS 2 and you'll quickly realize just how much better it is.
b.) He's incompatible with DH, and should look at some other DSP like whatever Headzone is using, Silent Cinema, CMSS, Recond3D, etc.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/4/13 at 4:44pmpost #12110 of 287243/4/13 at 6:20pmpost #12111 of 287243/4/13 at 6:20pmpost #12112 of 287243/4/13 at 6:43pmpost #12113 of 287243/5/13 at 12:05amQuote:When I first started gaming with the AD700, I was using the component AV cables that came with my Xbox. Then, I just used a super-cheap RCA to 3.5mm adapter (the red/white plugs you see on all TVs and most audio equipment, and a headphone jack like you see on an iPod that matches the headphone plug), plus a cheap FiiO E5 amp because the audio straight from an Xbox's RCA jacks is just too loud. That worked just fine for years, though you only get stereo sound that way.Originally Posted by OnePunchMan
^_^ Thank you too Evershurg, you've been a great help also. So um, if i dont amp the headphones......I mean I'm almost positive I can t just plug them into my Xbox controller so uh, how would I use them to get the most out of them I guess? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but this all literally goes right over my head; some of what you guys have been talking about reminded me of the time when my friend tried to teach me Russian.
I read Mad's thread here for the headphone reviews at some point, but I found it again last year which kindled an interest in trying virtual surround sound. If you want to try virtual surround, read the "topic article" at the link in my signature: I've tried to make the thread easy to read by bookmarking major topics with a table of contents on the first post. I bought a Recon3D USB instead of an Astro Mixamp because it cost half as much and would work as an external soundcard for my Mac as well as Xbox surround. For surround, I connect the included optical wire to the optical port on my Xbox; if you have a model with HDMI but before the Slim, like I do, you can have the HDMI go to your screen and get a $3 "audio dongle" that plugs in and gives you RCA connections and an optical out, but a Slim has the optical output port built right into it.
For chat, I just set the voice to play through "speakers" in the Xbox Guide preferences (just hit the guide button and slide over to the Settings tab), so all audio including chat plays in my headphones, then you just plug a mic into your controller. Any 2.5mm wired cellphone headset will work if you can position the mic towards your mouth, though a cheap lapel mic or ModMic (not so cheap) will probably be more suitable solutions. Mad's lapel mic is from Deal Extreme (mentioned in his guide), I just bought mine on Amazon, much faster shipping and still very cheap but goodpost #12114 of 287243/5/13 at 12:24amQuote:The clamp of the AD700 is very light. They probably weigh half as much as the HE's, too. The earpads are like cones... They touch your head around your ears, but the contact surface is so "wide" that it will probably rest on your ear too. Have you ever forgotten you were wearing a hat? Sometimes you'll feel like that while playing a game.Originally Posted by widdyjudas
Never tried the AD series before, so I want to test it. I had an AT m50 before and hated it. The cup is not big enough, the leather is sweaty and clamp is too much. Many said its over the ear design, but its on ear for me. So, the cup pressed against my ear and add the clamp.
Sound is ok, good low and hi, but the soundstage is too small. Everything is cramped on the middle.
Too bad that the AD series are using leather too. I want to test the new one, but its still unavailable here. Don't now if envy will try the new updated AD, compared to the old one.
HE400 is good enough for me, although I want more soundstage. The weight and long cable is minus point for it. I wish Hifiman has coiled cable.
The A series headphones are closed headphones with pleather/leather earpads, the AD line are open headphones with soft velour fabric earpads. The headband "wings" are soft and squishy like a nylon pillow or something.post #12115 of 287243/5/13 at 6:53amThread StarterWell, due to length of period away, the last guy backed out of buying the HE400 so I had to refund him. They are back up for sale. $300. Check the sig link if interested. Though sale is pending, and have 4 other people waiting, lol.
BTW, just to update on the K702 Annie. <3 <3 <3 <3
I updated the Q701 entry with a few paragraphs about the change done with the Annie pads, etc.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/5/13 at 1:22pmpost #12116 of 287243/5/13 at 2:49pmI mailed it with insurance and better packaging, so in one way or another Calpis is getting it. Still in the original retail box of course, headphone is clean, and in the same very good condition it arrived in, with the cables and 1/4" adapter and spare velours.post #12117 of 287243/5/13 at 2:58pmQuote:
What was wrong with my packaging?
BTW, Calpis should remember that the parts express headphones are hidden inside the box somewhere and that they go back to MLE. I know he has been dying to get his hands on them.post #12118 of 287243/5/13 at 3:01pm
Hey Mad Lust Envy! I hope this is a good place to ask: Why are you selling the HE-400 and keeping the K702 Anniversary? I've got a line on the K702 for $375 and I'm trying to decide between the two. I also have a HD650 and a HD600, but am willing to let either go (but not both) if I prefer either the K702 or HE-400. Knowing why you let the HE-400 go and keep the Annie may help me decide.post #12119 of 287243/5/13 at 3:03pm
MLE - I ordered the new Audio Technica AD-900x. The reviews for these cans are very scarce at the moment since they aren't officially available in the States or Europe. I did manage to find a review on Amazon which said that these cans need amplification.
What gain setting would you recommend I use on an Asus STX to amplify these?
Edited by majnu - 3/5/13 at 3:07pmpost #12120 of 287243/5/13 at 3:06pmThread StarterI prefer the warmer, more balanced sound on the K702 Annie over the HE400. They're both amazing, but I'm over the emphasized treble headphones, which the HE400 falls under. The Annie has a non-fatiguing and airier sound presentation, and is also much, much more comfortable for extended use. Also, its more suited for gaming.
The HE400 is mainly bass and treble centric, and nowadays I prefer bass and mid centric with smooth treble.
For you, I think you'll find the K702 Annie to be somewhat like the HD650 with more airiness, and clarity, but still on the warm, pleasant side, and not as laid back.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 1/4/2015: Beyerdynamic T70 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled! 3 seconds ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . . . . dap FW... 51 seconds ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 52 seconds ago
- › Coiled cable suggestion 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 1 minute ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Head-Direct / HIFIMAN Customer Service TEAM 3 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 4 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by stuartfang
- › Parrot Zik 2.0, the world's most advanced headphones -... by johnKenneth
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by johnKenneth
- › Xtreme Xplosives On Ear by johnKenneth
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by twister6
- › Sony XBA-4SL by cuiter23
- › Shure SE215 by cuiter23
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by ActiveTechREV
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by d marc0
- › HIFIMAN RE300a(Black) InLine Control Earphone by mark2410
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3