Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added) - Page 1719

post #25771 of 31244
There's an Apple event on the 9th? What's it for, a smartwatch?

I'd better call off work!
post #25772 of 31244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

One week left, guys! Woop woop!

Is your PS4 going to be back in time?

 

In other news, I met up with a fellow head-fi'er in Seattle.  Tried out the HE-560, UE900, XBA-H3, and some Teac IEM's that I didn't bother catching the model number of because they were so bass aenemic.  Caveat:  we were in a relatively (compared to say my man-cave at home) noisy bar and the HE-560 is VERY open.  

 

The short versions:  HE-560 was much more sparkly than I was expecting.  Bass was deep and wide, super controlled and detailed, with enough quantity to be felt but not enough to be "bassy".  Mids were slightly recessed; nothing terrible, but I find that I prefer a more mid-centric sound so it was slightly disappointing.  But it wasn't BAD by any means, just not as great as the treble and the bass.  Overall, fantastic can.  Probably sounds even better when you can hear all the detail.  Worth 4x as much as my Q701?  No.

 

X3 had bloated bass that muddied up the mids, super V-shaped sound, totally not my style.  I didn't like them at all.  Sorry, Change!

 

The Teacs had nice mids and treble and no bass.  Not sure what the point of those were.

 

UE900 was like an inverse V (what do you call that sound sig?).  Very nice, forward mids with great detail and presence in the bass and treble as well.  Insane isolation!  Honestly, these were the star of the show for me.  I really want a pair pretty bad now.  Thinking about selling my HP100 and grabbing one of these $210-$230 ones on eBay.

 

I admit, all you guys who told me that IEM's could be as good as any headphone were (of course) correct.  I'm happy to be proven wrong on that, of course.  Just not looking forward to the hit to my wallet!  lol

 

Oh BTW, he said the HE4 actually has a similar sound signature to the HE560 (after a couple small mods he did to his).  He's going to loan me his to see for myself.  Apparently you can get them used for relatively cheap and people "in the know" think they're an absolute steal.  Guess I'll see for myself soon.

post #25773 of 31244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Guys, the meat of my T51 review will be up here: Headphone.guru As I have stated, this will probably be once in awhile, and I'll still have the final scores up here on the guide. Just the main review will be posted there. Chrck it out if you have the chance. I'm not on there yet though.

As for the 5.8, the only cable I utilize is the headphone cable to the Rx, that's it. On the rare occasion I chat (which is like...almost never), yeah, I have to contend with the cable between RX and the DS4, but that's hardly what I'd call problematic.

I wish there was some form of bluetooth mini audio receiver to attach to the RX unit and one on the DS4. That way, no cable. Lol.

Like something that only communicates with it's other half. Of course, it would put some strain on the DS4 and Mixamp's inputs, so some duble sided tape or velcro would be a possible solution.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Or if you could just use Bluetooth 4.0 headsets and the console would do the headphone surround processing for us natively with AMD TrueAudio.

But, with my monitor and short-range setup, I prefer my own wired headphones and amps.

 

 

Which is why it is weird that Sony hasn't implemented bluetooth for the PS4. You could actually do this on the PS3 already.

A bluetooth headset or mic as the mic, but chat audio and game audio can be selected to output through HDMI or optical (in this case, optical since it'll be Mixamp/DSS).

 

So yeah, wtf, Sony.

post #25774 of 31244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

UE900 was like an inverse V (what do you call that sound sig?).  Very nice, forward mids with great detail and presence in the bass and treble as well.  Insane isolation!  Honestly, these were the star of the show for me.  I really want a pair pretty bad now.  Thinking about selling my HP100 and grabbing one of these $210-$230 ones on eBay.

 

I really love that IEM and actually bought it again 3 months ago but the ******* problem with the cable still exists. It's really insane, there's no reliability. No wonder they got discontinued. 

 

If you want a pair that is better built with better, more articulated low-end and more air then get the FA-4E XB as that one is the "natural successor" or let's say upgrade to the UE 900. Without any cable issues. 

post #25775 of 31244
Thread Starter 
Stillhart, it looks like the HE-400i would be the headphone for you, as apparently, the mids are quite forward. More than the 560.
post #25776 of 31244
No need to apolagize to me, stillhart, LoL. We just have different tastes when we want a "fun" sound. I use wider bore tips to open the sound and tame the bass some on the H3. I wouldn't necessarily say it's V-shaped, either, as its mids are actually present, not recessed. The MOE would be more v-shaped whith its sucked out mids and spikey treble, while the H3 is u-shaped with mid bass and smoother (yet still detailed) highs.

Also, the UE900 can be found for cheaper than thoae prices on ebay. You may also want to look into the new version of the VSONIC GR07 "classic" which can be had for $99.
Edited by Change is Good - 9/2/14 at 7:28am
post #25777 of 31244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post
 

 

I really love that IEM and actually bought it again 3 months ago but the ******* problem with the cable still exists. It's really insane, there's no reliability. No wonder they got discontinued. 

 

If you want a pair that is better built with better, more articulated low-end and more air then get the FA-4E XB as that one is the "natural successor" or let's say upgrade to the UE 900. Without any cable issues. 

 

There's apparently a new version of the UE900, I wonder if that fixes the issue?  You have me worried here because I will definitely not pay that kind of money for something with reliability issues... especially something like an IEM that I'm already worried about being fragile and loseable.  I'll check out that other one, thanks.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Stillhart, it looks like the HE-400i would be the headphone for you, as apparently, the mids are quite forward. More than the 560.

 

Hopefully I'll get a chance to hear for myself one of these days!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

No need to apolagize to me, stillhart, LoL. We just have different tastes when we want a "fun" sound. I use wider bore tips to open the sound and tame the bass some on the H3. I wouldn't necessarily say it's V-shaped, either, as its mids are actually present, not recessed. The MOE would be more v-shaped whith its sucked out mids and spikey treble, while the H3 is u-shaped with mid bass and smoother (yet still detailed) highs.

Also, the UE900 can be found for cheaper than thoae prices on ebay. You may also want to look into the new version of the VSONIC GR07 "classic" which can be had for $99.

 

Apparently, we were using the tips he bought from you.  Thanks for the other recommendation, I'll look into that one too.

post #25778 of 31244
^My dear good friend who recently traded tips with me? Nice! biggrin.gif

Crazy how you liked the MOE but not the H3, though. Now, that's a v-shaped headphone LoL.

Yeah, the UE900s is the recent version of the Logitechs. As for the GR07, make sure you do your research on that as well. There is the original GR07, GR07 MK2, and GR07 BE (all older versions, in order) which go for over $125. The newer version called the "classic" sells for $99 and comes in three colors. Those are the IEMs I had when I owned the Q701 and HP100... before I became a borderline bass head biggrin.gif
post #25779 of 31244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

^My dear good friend who recently traded tips with me? Nice! biggrin.gif

Crazy how you liked the MOE but not the H3, though. Now, that's a v-shaped headphone LoL.

Yeah, the UE900s is the recent version of the Logitechs. As for the GR07, make sure you do your research on that as well. There is the original GR07, GR07 MK2, and GR07 BE (all older versions, in order) which go for over $125. The newer version called the "classic" sells for $99 and comes in three colors. Those are the IEMs I had when I owned the Q701 and HP100... before I became a borderline bass head biggrin.gif

 

Well to be fair, I haven't listened to the MOE in a while.  My tastes may very well have become more defined since then.  I'll have to bug my wife to borrow hers for a while and see.  The thing I noticed most about the H3 was the muddy bass.  It wasn't so much that it was V-shaped that I didn't like, it was the quality of the bass.  It's similar to my first impression of the X1, actually.

 

Those Fischer Audio IEM's look like they'd fit the bill, but holy **** they're expensive!  I'll read up more on them and the GR07 (and the UE900) later today.  

post #25780 of 31244
^Try joker's multi iem review thread, the discovery thread, and the Asian thread. Lucky for you, the IEM community is extremely diverse and active. Don't limit yourself to just those two options. Plenty out there to chose from, and many people to help you chose.

Have fun! wink.gif
Edited by Change is Good - 9/2/14 at 8:24am
post #25781 of 31244
Thread Starter 
Yeah, the 400i is just the polar opposite of the 400. The bass has been reduced by quite a bit, the mids are the forward aspect of its sound, and it's treble has been pared back considerably.

This irks me, because I wanted a corrected 400, not something completely different. Don't get me wrong, I very much want the 400i, but what made the 400 good has been taken away to turn it into something else entirely. Calling it the 400i is nonsense.

I know the 400 is hit or miss, but I really loved it for what it was.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 9/2/14 at 8:56am
post #25782 of 31244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Yeah, the 400i is just the polar opposite of the 400. The bass has been reduced by quite a bit, the mids are the forward aspect of its sound, and it's treble has been pared back considerably.

This irks me, because I wanted a corrected 400, not something completely different. Don't get me wrong, I very much want the 400i, but what made the 400 good has been taken away to turn it into something else entirely. Calling it the 400i is nonsense.

I know the 400 is hit or miss, but I really loved it for what it was.

Interesting.  I didn't dislike the 560 at all, it was definitely a nice headphone.  The mids weren't even recessed by much... I feel like if they just flipped that (the mids up front but not by much), it'd be perfect.  I don't know that I need the mids to be crazy emphasized.

post #25783 of 31244
Still,
The AKGs and brain burn-in do something to us, make us fairly more excited about great mids. Mad is part of that group "in the know" that the HE-400 have a lot of chops and are an amazing value, I think with an amp HE400 with the velour Earpads would satisfy and thrill many people of the typical sound character taste... I might've bought them from him if vocals were more forward and the headphones weren't the craziest most open headphones I've ever encountered! Did the HE560 change sound if your hands were within half a foot of the earcups? I found that fascinating!

The opposite of a v- or u-shaped headphone would be an n-shaped headphone, cuz, you know, it looks the most like an upside down n. A headphone like that is rare, IMO the MA900 is the most n-shaped I've heard.

I saw a pair of MA900 on the deals thread and almost jumped on it, but it was $old by the time I got there. Now I'm contemplating a K601 or K612, the former is cheaper and more impulse-worthy. Anyone know if the sound changed at all between the K601 and K612?

I have an eBay listing for the Q701 ready except for pictures, I wonder if it'd sell for a better price there or here?
post #25784 of 31244

Speaking of eBay, I'm watching something that should serve me quite well if I can score it. Not long left on the auction. Crossing my fingers that I can snag it.

post #25785 of 31244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Still,
The AKGs and brain burn-in do something to us, make us fairly more excited about great mids. Mad is part of that group "in the know" that the HE-400 have a lot of chops and are an amazing value, I think with an amp HE400 with the velour Earpads would satisfy and thrill many people of the typical sound character taste... I might've bought them from him if vocals were more forward and the headphones weren't the craziest most open headphones I've ever encountered! Did the HE560 change sound if your hands were within half a foot of the earcups? I found that fascinating!

The opposite of a v- or u-shaped headphone would be an n-shaped headphone, cuz, you know, it looks the most like an upside down n. A headphone like that is rare, IMO the MA900 is the most n-shaped I've heard.

I saw a pair of MA900 on the deals thread and almost jumped on it, but it was $old by the time I got there. Now I'm contemplating a K601 or K612, the former is cheaper and more impulse-worthy. Anyone know if the sound changed at all between the K601 and K612?

I have an eBay listing for the Q701 ready except for pictures, I wonder if it'd sell for a better price there or here?

The "in the know" bit was referring to the HE4, not the HE400.  Not sure what the difference btween the two is, as I mostly hear about the HE-xxx models not the HE-x ones.

 

And yeah, I totally tested that because of what you said.  It was weird!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added)