or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added) - Page 1637

post #24541 of 31561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yethal View Post

You need 3.5mm minijack male to rca male cable like this one:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5596&seq=1&format=2

Great thanks for reply
post #24542 of 31561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post


Good luck! Make sure you come back with impressions if you do get them. I can foresee you becoming a regular around here, like Stillhart... though your wallet may regret it tongue.gif

How is the bass quantity of the Soundmagic HP100 compared to that of the Philips X1?

post #24543 of 31561
Quote:
Originally Posted by imac2much View Post

Hey guys, I'd like to get some feedback.  I finally closed the deal with the HP100 seller today, so hopefully I will get these headphones next week!

So I did some research on my Xonar U3 and the Sound Blaster Omni.  Assuming these are the external equivalents of the Xonar DG and Sound Blaster Z, they seem to both use the same CS4398 DAC.  Thus in terms of DAC, they are exactly the same.  As others have noted, the Xonar U3/DG has a horrible (or nearly nonexistent) amp with 100 ohm impedance, while Z's is 22 ohm impedance and is "rated" for headphones with up to 600 ohms.

So here's my question: To me, maybe my ears are still new to good headphones, but Dolby Headphone and THX/SB surround seems like a wash.  I already have a U3 so I can either use this as just a DAC or just replace it with an Omni.

With a budget of ~$100 (give or take), should I just get the Omni to use as DAC + Amp, or is there a separate Amp I can use in conjunction with my U3 DAC that would sound better than the Omni?  I'd prefer a desktop amp as I will not use this with my iphone, but I'd prefer something compact as it needs to fit in my luggage overseas (and my suitcases are jam packed as it is).

Thanks so much!

I just picked up an OMNI about a week or two ago. The sound out of it is pretty good for the price. I like the SBX surround professing for games. Down the road I have the option to add an external amp if I want. It has analog line out and also optical output. Before this I was using onboard audio so it was an easy purchase. I might even pick one up to keep at work.
post #24544 of 31561
^yeah, an easy-to-hear upgrade from my Realtek motherboard audio.

Kinda bummed about how complicated things get with Playstation and the DSS2, it's cheap but lots of wires, and my streamers complain my mic is too quiet. The Recon3D USB was awesome, because it basically took over mic duties like a USB mic (so no wires to my PS4 controller), I could use my cheap lapel mic as my mic, and the Recon3D USB had mic gain settings so it's easier for others to hear me over the game sound. I think Mic gain is what I miss most, if the BoomPro is too quiet with my current setup then I'll have to check out this new Creative E-something processor or get another Recon3D USB.
post #24545 of 31561
Aw, the creative E3 isn't made for game consoles...
post #24546 of 31561

Question, is it bad that I'm using the amp and my receiver when connected to my PS3? So, my headphones go into the port on the front of the amp, then in the back I have an RCA to 3.5mm adapter in the input section, which then runs to the front headphone port on the receiver (so I can utilize dolby headphone) then that is connected to the PS3 via HDMI. Something I did notice even on the low gain setting was that if I turned the volume knob past 2/3 oclock I start hearing this sound. I can always turn the volume louder on the receiver to keep this from happening, but then I feel like I'm using my receiver as the main amp in that case. It varies from a volume level of 66 to 75 on my receiver.

post #24547 of 31561

Anybody knows what exactly can PS4 output via USB if "All audio" option is selected? The bit depth and sampling rate, maybe they'll add an option to output multichannel via usb, could be nice. I keep spamming this question on this thread, but nobody seems to know and it's kinda bothering me.


Edited by Yethal - 7/13/14 at 6:31pm
post #24548 of 31561
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakanao View Post
 

How is the bass quantity of the Soundmagic HP100 compared to that of the Philips X1?

Quantity?  Significantly less.  The X1 is pretty bass-heavy, to the point where it muddies up the mids if you're not amping it properly.  People call it "fun" because the bass is over-emphasized but in a fun way.  The HP100 has a lot more of a "natural" bass:  it's there but it's not in your face by any means.  It has fantastic sub-bass though, so you'll really feel it on stuff like electronic music that extends way down low.  It's a really nice balance IMO.  Sounds good with just about anything.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imac2much View Post
 

Hey guys, I'd like to get some feedback.  I finally closed the deal with the HP100 seller today, so hopefully I will get these headphones next week!

 

So I did some research on my Xonar U3 and the Sound Blaster Omni.  Assuming these are the external equivalents of the Xonar DG and Sound Blaster Z, they seem to both use the same CS4398 DAC.  Thus in terms of DAC, they are exactly the same.  As others have noted, the Xonar U3/DG has a horrible (or nearly nonexistent) amp with 100 ohm impedance, while Z's is 22 ohm impedance and is "rated" for headphones with up to 600 ohms.

 

So here's my question: To me, maybe my ears are still new to good headphones, but Dolby Headphone and THX/SB surround seems like a wash.  I already have a U3 so I can either use this as just a DAC or just replace it with an Omni.

 

With a budget of ~$100 (give or take), should I just get the Omni to use as DAC + Amp, or is there a separate Amp I can use in conjunction with my U3 DAC that would sound better than the Omni?  I'd prefer a desktop amp as I will not use this with my iphone, but I'd prefer something compact as it needs to fit in my luggage overseas (and my suitcases are jam packed as it is).

 

Thanks so much!

 

You don't need much amping with the HP100.  I'd suggest trying without an amp before buying anything.  If you really feel the need to amp it later, grab a cheap Chinese Fiio or something.  I use my Fiio E11 with it when I'm going portable and it's plenty. At work I use it either right out of my laptop or with a Audioengine D3.

post #24549 of 31561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

You don't need much amping with the HP100.  I'd suggest trying without an amp before buying anything.  If you really feel the need to amp it later, grab a cheap Chinese Fiio or something.  I use my Fiio E11 with it when I'm going portable and it's plenty. At work I use it either right out of my laptop or with a Audioengine D3.

Thanks Stillhart.  In that case I will probably sell my U3 and get an Omni to use as an all-in-one for now.  I might look into getting an O2 or E12 later though, as I do hope to get a good open ended headphone later :)

post #24550 of 31561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yethal View Post

Anybody knows what exactly can PS4 output via USB if "All audio" option is selected? The bit depth and sampling rate, maybe they'll add an option to output multichannel via usb, could be nice. I keep spamming this question on this thread, but nobody seems to know and it's kinda bothering me.

Stereo output (with chat audio) and Mic input. I don't know what sampling rate or anything, probably CD quality (which means the mastering quality of the media you're listening to will matter).

I haven't seen you "spam" the question before... can't say it's not better that way wink.gif
post #24551 of 31561

I compared the Skullcandy Aviator along with the Sennheiser Momentum in the store with my mobile phone.

 

They were the best 2 sounding headphones in the store, and imo they were in the same league, they only did different things better.

 

Sennheiser Momentum had: larger, more spacious sound, better imaging, instrument separation and detail.

 

Skullcandy Aviator had: A LOT more clarity, and same timbre, but also a little harsh on bright recordings.

post #24552 of 31561
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakanao View Post


I compared the Skullcandy Aviator along with the Sennheiser Momentum in the store with my mobile phone.

They were the best 2 sounding headphones in the store, and imo they were in the same league, they only did different things better.

Sennheiser Momentum had: larger, more spacious sound, better imaging, instrument separation and detail.

Skullcandy Aviator had: A LOT more clarity, and same timbre, but also a little harsh on bright recordings.


Can you compare the bass quantity between the two? Which is better for Rap/Hip-Hop? How do they compare to the X1?
post #24553 of 31561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post


Can you compare the bass quantity between the two? Which is better for Rap/Hip-Hop? How do they compare to the X1?

Aviator had more bass, but less tight though. Aviator had around the same amount of bass as the X1. 

 

Aviator is the better one for rap/hiphop.

 

Well, straight from my phone the Aviator sounds definitely clearer than the X1, and timbre is slightly more realistic than the X1. Aviator is slightly more harsh though because of the treble.

 

X1 has better soundstage, imaging and separation than both the Momentums and Aviators from my phone. Momentums got slightly more detail than the X1 from my phone.

post #24554 of 31561
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakanao View Post
 

Aviator had more bass, but less tight though. Aviator had around the same amount of bass as the X1. 

 

Aviator is the better one for rap/hiphop.

 

Well, straight from my phone the Aviator sounds definitely clearer than the X1, and timbre is slightly more realistic than the X1. Aviator is slightly more harsh though because of the treble.

 

X1 has better soundstage, imaging and separation than both the Momentums and Aviators from my phone. Momentums got slightly more detail than the X1 from my phone.

Sennheiser momentums have come down in price now but have they got the bass that you are looking for?

post #24555 of 31561
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin vegas View Post
 

Sennheiser momentums have come down in price now but have they got the bass that you are looking for?

Not really. I like a bit more bass quantity and clarity.

 

If the Aviators had the same separation, imaging and detail, as the Momentums, and they would be VERY slightly less bright, than that would be a very good headphone.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added)