or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added) - Page 1391

post #20851 of 31970
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post
 


Out of curisity how does the SRH-1540 sound compared to the K612. I know it's comparing closed verses open. I'm just curious about the Shure's sound signature with the K612 as a baseline.

 

Are you getting a dual-entry recable?

 

Grenades to oranges, my friend, not even apples lol. One is a technically refined, borderline basshead of a beast... while the other is its budget neutral counterpart. I can't compare the two, specifically, because I never took the time to critique both (side by side)... so I'd rather steer from giving any false comparisons/distinctions.

 

And no, the K612 will be more in line of something like this... 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

... so it's not really recabling (my bad choice of words). More like re-terminating, so to say, so I could use my AKG cable I already have and not have to pay for a DIY.


Edited by Change is Good - 2/11/14 at 6:09pm
post #20852 of 31970
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post

Is this the device you were talking about? It looks like that adapter is stereo only. If that's the case you'd still want something like the Mixamp to pair with the controller to get surround. The PS4 could potentially do this without any adapter since the controller accepts standard 3.5mm.
The controller itself is what makes the magic happen and not the adapter. The adapter only allows any headset to work with the Xbox One.
post #20853 of 31970
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post

The controller itself is what makes the magic happen and not the adapter. The adapter only allows any headset to work with the Xbox One.

 

Ah, ok. I just re-read your original post and I interpreted it differently. I thought you had said that the adapter made the surround. Now it makes more sense.

post #20854 of 31970

Hi guys. I mentioned previously I might buy the DT990's as an intro to the hi-fi world. Before I make a decision though, I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on similar closed headphones, also in the $150-$200 range. I want it moslty for non-competitive gaming, and electronic (sometimes classic rock) music... something with nice, full bass that doesn't overdue it or skimp on other aspects. I was thinking about the AT A900x, but many have complained about comfort. Any suggestions? Thanks.

post #20855 of 31970
Thread Starter 
So I gamed a bit with the DNA On ear. Surprisingly competent. After fully extending the arms, they don't torture my ears as much, so I can see this being a decent headset with the Vmoda Boom Pro (which will arrive at my house on Thursday). Played some Ghosts with the DNA, and I could pick up positional cues relatively well. Certainly well enough for the few times I game with a mic. Soundstage is definitely on the smaller side, certainly, but it's not a complete loss.

I can hear a definite bass tilt on the DNA, but it's not sloppy and everything after seems in line with one another. I which the DNA could've had the same signature as the DNA Pro which is definitely superior in every aspect.

Dropping off the A30s at UPS tomorrow morning. Here's hoping the replacement is noticeably better than what I heard with these.

In other news... as i was trying to compare the DNA Pro with the On Ear, the right cup snapped off on the DNA Pro. Like... the plastic went FLYING.

Now... I'm not a brute. The only headphone I have ever personally butchered was my PX100-II (totally my fault). Also had a crappy Turtle Beach headset which snapped off a cup as soon as I took it out of its packaging for the first time.

So...yeah. I do wear the DNA Pro fully extended, and they are a very tight, clampy fit. Tight enough that the strain of it being on my head snapped off the plastic...

So...I don't know what else to say. It was quite jarring to have a piece of the headphone become a projectile.

I have since wrapped it up in tape... and on the bright side... the headphone isn't pressing in so hard, and still feels secure. Not pretty... but it's working. It's actually more comfortable now, and I may actually start using it more, since it's not wrecking my skull.

The DNA on ear seems to have a better design, as the pivoting point is at the cup, and not the headband, so there is no stress to the cups, where most pressure would normally be.

I seriously am at a loss for words. All I can say is that the build quality needs work on the DNA pro. Most of the ones I've seen at Best Buy stores have broken pieces.


Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 2/11/14 at 8:56pm
post #20856 of 31970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

So I gamed a bit with the DNA On ear. Surprisingly competent. After fully extending the arms, they don't torture my ears as much, so I can see this being a decent headset with the Vmoda Boom Pro (which will arrive at my house on Thursday). Played some Ghosts with the DNA, and I could pick up positional cues relatively well. Certainly well enough for the few times I game with a mic. Soundstage is definitely on the smaller side, certainly, but it's not a complete loss.

I can hear a definite bass tilt on the DNA, but it's not sloppy and everything after seems in line with one another. I which the DNA could've had the same signature as the DNA Pro which is definitely superior in every aspect.

Dropping off the A30s at UPS tomorrow morning. Here's hoping the replacement is noticeably better than what I heard with these.

In other news... as i was trying to compare the DNA Pro with the On Ear, the right cup snapped off on the DNA Pro. Like... the plastic went FLYING.

Now... I'm not a brute. The only headphone I have ever personally butchered was my PX100-II (totally my fault). Also had a crappy Turtle Beach headset which snapped off a cup as soon as I took it out of its packaging for the first time.

So...yeah. I do wear the DNA Pro fully extended, and they are a very tight, clampy fit. Tight enough that the strain of it being on my head snapped off the plastic...

So...I don't know what else to say. It was quite jarring to have a piece of the headphone become a projectile.

I have since wrapped it up in tape... and on the bright side... the headphone isn't pressing in so hard, and still feels secure. Not pretty... but it's working. It's actually more comfortable now, and I may actually start using it more, since it's not wrecking my skull.

The DNA on ear seems to have a better design, as the pivoting point is at the cup, and not the headband, so there is no stress to the cups, where most pressure would normally be.

I seriously am at a loss for words. All I can say is that the build quality needs work on the DNA pro. Most of the ones I've seen at Best Buy stores have broken pieces.


Hmm, why am I not surprised rolleyes.gif
The plastic always felt cheap and unreliable IMO, compared to other well built plastic cans.
post #20857 of 31970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokami View Post
 

I would really like to know if the PC360 is a sidegrade or a worth upgrade over the A40s? I mean it is worth to drop A40 for Pc360s for that price. Simply for competetive gaming...

 

For competitive PC360 is an upgrade.

post #20858 of 31970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


So...yeah. I do wear the DNA Pro fully extended, and they are a very tight, clampy fit. Tight enough that the strain of it being on my head snapped off the plastic...
 

 

WTF....:blink:

post #20859 of 31970
Thread Starter 


The area I pointed to... due to the headphone being fully extended, the exposed arm that goes INTO this area was pressing outwards. That piece of the plastic literally shot out when I heard the snap. Hit my wall with some speed...

Testing the other side that isn't broken, you can see the plastic flex a bit. It is a definite point of weakness, and it's no wonder I see so many broken DNA pros. Monster nailed the sound quality, but the next iteration needs some build quality improvements. I can see this happening to more than just me.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 2/11/14 at 9:56pm
post #20860 of 31970
MLE, I hope you mention the crap build quality in your review. That's just horrible...
Edited by DADDYDC650 - 2/11/14 at 10:28pm
post #20861 of 31970
Thread Starter 
I read back the review... and god must be sadistic, as I specifically mention that being a potential weak point... only to have it happen to me a few weeks later.

I just think that the DNA Pro needs to be babied. I don't like babying anything. I expect some durability, especially at that price point. Not even the MA900s seem that frail. They look the part, but have been solid overall.

I'll have to be particularly careful with the DNA On Ear, as I don't want a repeat.

I'll update the review to reflect this. I don't think it's CRAPPY build quality overall. It's just an obvious point of weakness, especially if you have a bigger head and need to wear them fully extended. the plastoc flex at the weak point is a clear warning sign, that you need to be careful with it.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 2/11/14 at 10:31pm
post #20862 of 31970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Let's liven this place a little, ladies...

K612 was shipped off for recabling... so it's the 1540 playing both roles for now...

I was looking at the 1540 as my closed option for home use. General thought on it? Also, how the soundstage, directional accuracy, and general thoughts on using it for competitive gaming?
post #20863 of 31970
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post

Microsoft is going to release a an adapter that plugs into the Xbox One controller for $25. Apparently any headset will be able to plug into this adapter and the controller has some kind of built in surround sound feature. I'll be buying this on the day it comes out and plugging in my Philips X1 + BoomPro. It will be a nice compliment to my Astro 5.8 I have connected to my PS4.
I wonder if the current external devices were not supported (DDL through Optical) at the Xbox One's launch to encourage people not to buy more mixamp/DSS things, so that customers could be blown away by Microsoft's first-party system once released?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post

Eventually devices like the Astro may not be needed at all. Since the PS4 has AMD TrueAudio and can stream audio into the controller, then it too could eventually get wireless sound without the need of an external DSP unless you specifically want different processing.
Yeah, but games have to be specifically coded to include TrueAudio support. I don't even know for sure if the PS4 version of Thief will have it (though the PC version will). Does anybody have details about XBox One's "sphere" audio processing? Are games going to have to be built to support "Sphere," or will it at least be able to convert home-theater 5.1/7.1 surround into headphone surround? The second option is not built-in to either console, at least not on the current firmware. IMO, external surround processors will still have their place if they can offer better DAC and Amps (and perhaps features, such as chat/game audio mixing) than what is built into a controller.




Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post

So, I called the MS Store to get a return shipping label for my Astro 5.8 + a30 bundle and the rep told me that instead of returning them, I can keep them and get a refund of $60 to my Visa. I canceled my Gold PS4 headset order as soon as I hung up the phone. So I got the Astro 5.8 with the a30's for basically $60 after taxes. Deal! I guess I can live without being completely wireless for the price and the fact that I don't have to have inferior sound with the Gold PS4 headset and be able to use my Philips X1's. Awesome!
First, let's cheer for Mad for finally going through Astro support wink.gif
That said, your post will be the elephant in the room. Was it just as easy as calling the MS Store? I fully intended to sell or gift my A30's, and I might even get more than $60 for them. But reselling a properly functional headset might not be worth the time. I was contacted back by an Astro rep, and it reads like an automated response almost on the level of "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" From the show IT Crowd. To paraphrase, they said
Quote:
"Try plugging your Mixamp into a PC, and let us know if the issue persists. Also, check the firmware on your Mixamp. Directions are on your quick setup guide. PLEASE INCLUDE THE FIRMWARE VERSION INSTALLED IN YOUR MIXAMP IN YOUR EMAIL REPLY."
The setup guide shows the Mixamp connected to PC via Optical and the PC/PSN chat cable, I don't think either of these would communicate the firmware back to my PC. Astro doesn't even show Mixamp 5.8 support or firmware on their page anymore, so even if I bought a male-to-male USB cable I don't know if the A50's transmitter firmware is compatible.
So, as much as my current problem is isolated to the defective A30, I wonder/worry if chat will work with the PS4. I like chat, I think the chat integration is the best feature of Astro's products, the social aspect is what has kept me from getting bored with gaming. When I get automated tech support that doesn't have any association to my description of the problem, talked to in all caps, no legacy support pages online, and DOA defective products... I get all frown-y faced. I'm sure I'll figure something out, though.
Edited by Evshrug - 2/12/14 at 7:03am
post #20864 of 31970

How do the Shure SRH-1540's sound with gaming?

post #20865 of 31970
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

I was looking at the 1540 as my closed option for home use. General thought on it? Also, how the soundstage, directional accuracy, and general thoughts on using it for competitive gaming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakanao View Post

How do the Shure SRH-1540's sound with gaming?

Your posts aren't being ignored fellas. Just a real busy day, today. I promise to be back with specific impressions for you guys. I'm not ideal at accurately describing what I hear, but I'll do my best.

Who thinks Mad should review my pair of 1540s?!? :P
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added)