Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 9/21/14 at 4:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/31/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 7/14/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
REVIEW FOR THE APOGEE GROOVE ABOUT ME Let me introduce myself my name is Adam I am a 38 years old, I have been into audio equipment since I was in highschool. I don’t consider myself an...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I’ve been lucky on my Head-Fi journey to meet and converse with some wonderful people who...
I tried these from a shop, they did look very nice when first spotted. I wanted some nice speakers to use with my laptop, and that could be transported if I was going away for some time. The...
A company whose products give me endless enjoyment, they fulfill every need I personally look for in audio...
First off I want to apologize for taking so long to get this review put together. Circumstances and family responsibility have conspired against me this year in regards to being able put together a...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added) - Page 1187
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17792 of 3162611/8/13 at 9:37amQuote:
Yeah, the slow death of plasma TVs is increasingly painful for me. I wish when I worked at Magnolia that I had the pay to afford the Pioneer Elite that we sold. I did get the top of the line Panasonic back then and it's still treating me well. Hopefully it'll last me into the coming of the affordable OLED displays. LCD still isn't up to snuff for me. We have one in the bedroom and it's nowhere near as natural in color as the plasma. And gaming on an LCD? Ha. No thanks.post #17793 of 3162611/8/13 at 9:52ampost #17794 of 3162611/8/13 at 10:00am
That's a shame that plasmas are dieing off.
I've almost bought one last time I went through a TV upgrade, but I couldn't find any under 50" that were also 1080p. Now I see Panasonic finally came out with a 42" S60 with 1080p which would have worked, but it's too late as they're all gone now.
I won't play an immersive single player game on TV speakers as I'm losing half the experience. It's like playing a game at SD resolution. I'll wait until I can play it on surround + headphones.post #17795 of 3162611/8/13 at 10:06amQuote:
My LCD is pretty good. I did research and got a fat one that doesn't use edge lighting so at least it has a more uniform black without flashlighting.
Stil, LCD tech has a host of problems with motion and uniformity & black levels (both issues thanks to the backlighting).
Hopefully the next best tech (still OLED?) will start getting it's act together.Quote:
They're on the front page.Quote:
Yes, you order them from AKG spare parts department.
Frank Rodriguez email@example.com
Phone: +1 818 920-3279
Edited by chicolom - 11/8/13 at 10:07ampost #17796 of 3162611/8/13 at 10:22ampost #17797 of 3162611/8/13 at 10:56amThread StarterQuote:
I had actually bought the Samsung F6300 LED set (I wanted a lighter, smaller set than the ST30 I sold), and brought it home. If you turn on the blur reduction to 10 (with judder at 0), you get motion that actually equals what plasmas do. The problem is, it introduces SO MUCH FRIGGIN input lag, that games are absolutely unplayable with those processings turned on. Once you turn on Game Mode, the input lag is VERY good, but then motion looks like absolute crap. the bland image quality was a turn off, so I ended up returning it two days later.
So I decided to look at the state of plasmas, and noticed that Panasonic was bowing out earlier than anticipated, so it pushed me to take the plunge before they were out of stock everywhere. I had nothing but a great experience with the ST30, I knew the Vt60 was the way to go. I would've bought the S60, but the lack of proper true 1080p/24 playback was a dealbreaker for me. Then I saw the ST60 which looked like the sweet spot for price and performance, but then I saw the atrocious input lag numbers, and it turned me off. The next one up was the VT60 which was comparable to their flagship in PQ, and had good input lag numbers (I don't notice the lag when in Game Mode).
With plasmas, you never have to worry about motion blur being atrocious. The VT60 is good without any extra processing, and perfect with just simple nudge of smoothing. The VT60 has a weak smoothing option, that enhances motion resolution to max, and doesn't add noticeable smoothing, until you set it to middle, or strong. Needless to say, I went to the Magnolia section, and ordered on the spot (helps that at the time of purchase, Best Buy had the best price, even compared to Amazon.)
I can't stand the glow of the blacks LEDs have, and their terrible off angle black level performance. Plasmas are so much better in this. The VT60 has amaaaaaazing blacks. Actually the Vt60 and ZT60 are the only two TVs to ever beat the Kuros TVs. I guess Panasonic's plasma division went out with a bang. The ONLY display to beat the VT60 and ZT60 in blacks is the Pioneer KRP-500m MONITOR. HDTV-wise, the VT60 and ZT60 are where it's at, with the ZT60 being a smidge better in bright rooms, and both being equal in light controlled rooms. Considering how well the VT60 does in bright rooms already, I don't see a reason to own the ZT60. It has inferior built in speakers, a lack of camera, and costs a hefty premium... you get less for more money.
The VT60 and ZT60 are probably gonna reign supreme until OLEDs start becoming affordable. Unless Samsung's last possible plasmas beat the VT and ZT60, nothing will stack up until OLED. LG has never been a true contender in plasmas (or any display type).
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 11/8/13 at 11:02ampost #17798 of 3162611/8/13 at 11:24am
I see there a still a few straggler 42" S60s at Sears for "local" pickup. I see some "new-in-box" ones for ~$350, which I would totally jump on if they're as good as the reviews. The S60 is supposed to have lower input lag than the ST60, and the main picture quality con is that it sucks for daylight viewing (no anti-glare), but I do all my serious viewing at night so I wouldn't care.
Sucks that it's only local pick-up. The closest one is 4 hours away.
Edited by chicolom - 11/8/13 at 11:25ampost #17799 of 3162611/8/13 at 11:38amQuote:
A lot of the Korean 2560x1440 IPS displays use LG panels. LG panels are also used in some of the better Asus and Dell monitors.post #17800 of 3162611/8/13 at 2:26pmpost #17801 of 3162611/8/13 at 2:32pmI have a Sony HX-800 Edge LED, with a deep black panel.
Gotta say it compares quite well with my Panasonic plasma...
Not to mention plasmas start to hurt my eyes after some time x/post #17802 of 3162611/8/13 at 3:56pmQuote:Originally Posted by LoveKnight
Could you please do a comparison among Shure SRH 1540, Mad Dog 3.2 and the Sony MA900 please. I want to buy a new headphone to replace my HD598 and I am confused of choosing which can. I would like to add an Alpha Dog in consideration too but the long list 6 weeks and few more weeks of waiting to ship to my country really turn me down, additionally Alpha Dogs require poweful ampss but I only have a C421 and do not want to upgrade my amp yet, moreover I want to stay as portable as possible because I work, sleep, listen to music in every place in my house.
I only had the MA900 for a couple days on loan, so a comparison would not be accurate at all.
I will post thorough details between the 1540 and MD as soon as I get a chance. I just had a college algebra exam I had to prepare for and another biology exam on Monday. Also, I am behind on preparing my speech that is also due next week. Then there's finals coming up... so please be patient, my friend...
It won't be an A/B comparison, however, because I sold the MDs to help fund the 1540. Which, I may add, was worth every penny to me...
For now, I can say the 1540 extends much lower than the MD and has a slightly wider soundstage. It's midrange and treble, though not recessed, is more linear but isn't overshadowed by the bass. Man... that bass, though! ! It's like a refined X1 kind of bass that can be played at high volumes... with no recession in the midrange at all (which was my only complaint of the X1).
I agree with gelocks' perception in the 1540 thread that these are a technically superior SRH840 with a boosted low end.
Edited by Change is Good - 11/8/13 at 4:07pmpost #17803 of 3162611/8/13 at 4:25pmQuote:I'm still in love with my Pioneer plasmaOriginally Posted by AxelCloris
Yeah, the slow death of plasma TVs is increasingly painful for me. I wish when I worked at Magnolia that I had the pay to afford the Pioneer Elite that we sold. I did get the top of the line Panasonic back then and it's still treating me well. Hopefully it'll last me into the coming of the affordable OLED displays. LCD still isn't up to snuff for me. We have one in the bedroom and it's nowhere near as natural in color as the plasma. And gaming on an LCD? Ha. No thanks.post #17804 of 3162611/8/13 at 4:28pm
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 9 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 47 seconds ago
- › The Ghost in the MP3 1 minute ago
- › Comparisons: 25 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 1 minute ago
- › Chicago Head-Fi Meet - August 8th 12:00 to 7:00 pm at Tweak Studio 1 minute ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex HP-V8 Pure Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier Announced! 3 minutes ago
- › Apogee GROOVE Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier for Mac and PC by acain
- › Noble Audio Savant by Brooko
- › Bose® Computer MusicMonitor® -- Silver by labrat
- › Harman Kardon AE1 In Ear Headphones by Army-Firedawg
- › RHA T20 by dweaver
- › Bluetooth receiver dual amplifier class1 NFC (black) [Japan Import] by peter123
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by Mediahound
- › CEntrance HiFi-M8 by Mediahound
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by Mediahound
- › Audeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphone by Mediahound
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3