Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added) - Page 1009

post #15121 of 31321

At a local Guitar Center I was able to try on the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro headphone and they felt wonderful. The sound was great also but I am not sure which to buy to match with a MixAmp.

 

I assume the DT990 32 ohm ($269) would work just fine with the MixAmp but my question is does the DT990 250 ohm work ok with a MixAmp as well or does the 250 ohm version need a stronger amp? I would like to save a ton of cash and buy the 250 ohm ($168) version but I do not want to make a mistake that I will regret later.

post #15122 of 31321
Thread Starter 
The 250ohm version is less stressful for the Mixamp, though it won't be as loud. Neither are Mixamp friendly if you don't attach an amp (when using voice chat). You can get by with the mixamp alone, but all the Beyerdynamics I have reviewed improve considerably with amping.

People need to understand 250ohm headphones were designed for home stereo systems, not mini little amps. Also, just because a headphone has a low impedance, does not make them easy to drive (HE-4 is the hardest headphone to drive on my list, and it's only 40ohm). The 32ohm Beyers are actually quite power dependent, even if they do get loud easy. Volume does not equal being driven properly. The 32ohm will sound worse than the 250ohm even unamped, though it will be louder. You need a good amp to make them sound on equal footing, and even then, the 250ohm is more refined. 32ohm Beyers are illogical in that they always sound worse than the 250 and 600ohm, and require more power than the 250ohm anyways. They are only useful if you absolutely need them because you have no amping, but expect worse sound quality.

In the case of the 990s... the 990 Pro will be better than the 990/32, though the 990 Pro will be a little more bassy. The 32ohm sounds like the 600ohm, but not as refined, and more congested. If you plan on an amp (even something like the Magni), the 600ohm is the best version. The 250ohm is if you want a little more bass.

Honestly though, if you can spring for the Fidelio X1, I completely recommend going for that instead. It's like a better behaved 990, with strong bass and really good mid to treble linearity. Gaming performance is on par as well. Best thing, they need very little power, so the Mixamp alone is fine. I know my review isn't up, but it's worth it.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 7/14/13 at 5:13am
post #15123 of 31321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

The 250ohm version is less stressful for the Mixamp, though it won't be as loud. Neither are Mixamp friendly if you don't attach an amp (when using voice chat). You can get by with the mixamp alone, but all the Beyerdynamics I have reviewed improve considerably with amping.

People need to understand 250ohm headphones were designed for home stereo systems, not mini little amps. Also, just because a headphone has a low impedance, does not make them easy to drive (HE-4 is the hardest headphone to drive on my list, and it's only 40ohm). The 32ohm Beyers are actually quite power dependent, even if they do get loud easy. Volume does not equal being driven properly. The 32ohm will sound worse than the 250ohm even unamped, though it will be louder. You need a good amp to make them sound on equal footing, and even then, the 250ohm is more refined. 32ohm Beyers are illogical in that they always sound worse than the 250 and 600ohm, and require more power than the 250ohm anyways. They are only useful if you absolutely need them because you have no amping, but expect worse sound quality.

In the case of the 990s... the 990 Pro will be better than the 990/32, though the 990 Pro will be a little more bassy. The 32ohm sounds like the 600ohm, but not as refined, and more congested. If you plan on an amp (even something like the Magni), the 600ohm is the best version. The 250ohm is if you want a little more bass.

Honestly though, if you can spring for the Fidelio X1, I completely recommend going for that instead. It's like a better behaved 990, with strong bass and really good mid to treble linearity. Gaming performance is on par as well. Best thing, they need very little power, so the Mixamp alone is fine. I know my review isn't up, but it's worth it.

Couldn't agree with you more on the Beyers. I've owned or tried all three DT990's and for me the 250 was the best. I thought the 32 would be easier to amp and better sounding and all it was was louder at lower volumes but sounded worse than the other two. For the money the DT990/250 Pro's are a steal at $160 and under. Always regretted getting rid of them.


Thanks,


evil_smiley.gif
post #15124 of 31321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalbik View Post

At a local Guitar Center I was able to try on the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro headphone and they felt wonderful. The sound was great also but I am not sure which to buy to match with a MixAmp.

 

I assume the DT990 32 ohm ($269) would work just fine with the MixAmp but my question is does the DT990 250 ohm work ok with a MixAmp as well or does the 250 ohm version need a stronger amp? I would like to save a ton of cash and buy the 250 ohm ($168) version but I do not want to make a mistake that I will regret later.

I like and own 6 (higher impedance) Beyerdynamic headphones, 2 of them are 600-Ohm and 4 of them are 300-Ohm, they all sound better with a good headphone amplifier (better then the Mix-amps amplifier).

I think these model Beyer's are using a diaphragm first designed back in the 70s.

 

So why not look into getting low impedance (Ohm) headphone that will work fine plugged straight into the Mix-amp.

Like Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones (only 38-Ohms).

Digbuy sells the ATH-AD900X for $199.99, with free shipping.

 

How about a Sennheiser HD558 headphone (50-Ohm), used ones can sometimes sell for just over $100.


Edited by PurpleAngel - 7/14/13 at 9:10am
post #15125 of 31321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Honestly though, if you can spring for the Fidelio X1, I completely recommend going for that instead. It's like a better behaved 990, with strong bass and really good mid to treble linearity. Gaming performance is on par as well. Best thing, they need very little power, so the Mixamp alone is fine. I know my review isn't up, but it's worth it.

 

Hmmmm....is $237 a good price for the X1? 

 

They are $250 but they had a coupon code that brings it down to $237

 

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_70121_Philips-Fidelio-X1-X1-28-Premium-Open-Back-Hi-Fi-Over-Ear-Headphones.html

 

They are back ordered but I called them up and they said they should have their next shipment on Monday  or Tuesday so the wait would not be long. 

post #15126 of 31321
$250 is a greeeeat price for the X1; at $237, if you're even thinking about the X1, you'll probably regret not jumping on that price. If this is your first big headphone purchase, you will immediately be surprised at the difference a headphone of this caliber makes with music, gaming, and movies.

I watched a movie at my girlfriend's recently; her family has a really nice 52" Panasonic Plasma TV, the picture quality is great but I was frustrated at how indistinct the movie dialogue was. She was used to not really knowing what was said here and there, but since I am used to knowing what's going on because of my headphones (and decent ht speakers), I had to turn on subtitles. Watching a 5.1 surround movie with good headphones is a revelation, like going from VHS on an old 26" TV from the 90's straight up to a Blu-Ray on a big plasma HDTV!

Wait till you play some of your favourite games wink.gif


miceblue,
Yeah, if I wasn't having company over, I would be tidying up right now. Part of the problem is just a lot of long wires and devices crowded together in one space.
Edited by Evshrug - 7/14/13 at 10:58am
post #15127 of 31321
probably one of the best prices you will see for them i think.
post #15128 of 31321

Newbie question: Is the K702 on the same level as the Q701 (Or even the K701)? Is it better to go with the K702 or get the Q701?

 

Thanks!

post #15129 of 31321
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

In general you should only enable DH as far as I know... The windows output to the sound card should be set to 5.1 or 7.1. Whether to use dolby 1/2/3 is up to u. 1 is recording room, 3 is concert hall or somehting like that.

 

Whay is hf?

 

Dunno what to chooes ingame, but I guess it should be 5.1 or 7.1  audio or something like that if the game supports it.

I get it no.

HF is hifi and it means that it turns of all additional effects for music listening.

 

So I am setting channels to 6 or 8 but would it benefit or "wont work" if I set the windows/channels to 8 and game was dts/5.1 only ?

also. Using sample rate of 44.1 for everything is ok isnt it ? I dont need it to be 96 like it was et on by default right ?

post #15130 of 31321
Quote:
Originally Posted by xEzio View Post

Newbie question: Is the K702 on the same level as the Q701 (Or even the K701)? Is it better to go with the K702 or get the Q701?

 

Thanks!

I've read that:

 

K 701 (earlier 7-bump headband) = K 702

 

Q 701 = K 701 (newer 8-bump headband)

post #15131 of 31321
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiCZoK View Post

 

also. Using sample rate of 44.1 for everything is ok isnt it ? I dont need it to be 96 like it was et on by default right ?

44.1 sample rate is not good if you listen to 48/96/192kHz sampled music AFAIK.

post #15132 of 31321

Mad Lust, THANK YOU FOR YOUR REVIEWS! They led me to buy the DT 990 Pro 250's and I'm loving them.  I have a couple of questions for you:

 

I run these out of my Behringer UB802 mixer, which reports has the following headphone output:

 

Max. output level

+19 dBu / 150 Ω (+25 dBm)

 

I was wondering if this is adequate amplification and how it compared to say a Fiio portable or desktop amp.

 

Also, I was wondering if you had any idea how the new Denon D600's compare to the D7000's you own.  Any chance of a review on these? 

 

And finally, do you have any sense of how the Sony MRD-XB1000's might compare to the Ultrasone Pro 900's?  Again, any chance of a review on these someday?

 

Thanks again!

post #15133 of 31321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalbik View Post

 

Hmmmm....is $237 a good price for the X1? 

 

They are $250 but they had a coupon code that brings it down to $237

 

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_70121_Philips-Fidelio-X1-X1-28-Premium-Open-Back-Hi-Fi-Over-Ear-Headphones.html

 

They are back ordered but I called them up and they said they should have their next shipment on Monday  or Tuesday so the wait would not be long. 

 

That's a pretty good deal for the X1. I am very tempted to get them for that price...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


Honestly though, if you can spring for the Fidelio X1, I completely recommend going for that instead. It's like a better behaved 990, with strong bass and really good mid to treble linearity. Gaming performance is on par as well. Best thing, they need very little power, so the Mixamp alone is fine. I know my review isn't up, but it's worth it.

 

When's the review coming bro?

post #15134 of 31321
Thread Starter 
Im on vacation the whole week with zero X1 headtime. Gonna take some time.
post #15135 of 31321

I just tested out the DSS with the 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable in Pro Logic II and Dolby Bypass. It gives me a really weird sound in Pro Logic II, and didn't notice any changes in Dolby Bypass. So what light should be turned on on the DSS for true Dolby Headphone surround sound?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added)