Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added) - Page 800

post #11986 of 31249
Just strictly gaming, for music I use my dads ATH-w1000x ( super base heavy -_-). Portabilitys
Not really a problem, as These will probably never see
Day light. Emersive sounds really not what I need either, I need something with the best sound stage. Opens preferred, as I have my own house with myGirlfriend, and she never comes in my gaming room.comfortabilitys not that big of a problem, as long As there not 100 pounds. ( preferably nothing line green -_-)
post #11987 of 31249
For $100-200 the Sennheiser HD558/598 would seem like a good choice... Easy to drive, good soundstage, relatively comfortable; you can get the 558 (which is warmer sounding) for close to $100 used.

Not the greatest choice for music or other stuff but still better than something like AT AD700's in that price range. I've only heard the older 555/595 but even those I preferred to the AT... Though if it's strictly for competitive gaming then either would do, depending on price.
post #11988 of 31249
Witch one has a better sound stage, and the least amount of base?
post #11989 of 31249

Hello everyone.

 

I've posted before, and im back for more dumb questions! lol.

 

Well, i bought a pair of dt990 pros, and i love them even if i dont have an amp for them. 

Heres what im planning right now..

im trying to get rid of my astro a40 headset (im keeping my mixamp). 

Im really really considering the q701s, mostly for competitive gaming (like clan matches for Bo2)

My reason because i feel the a40s lack being able to figure exact points sounds are coming from.

I use to have a pair of ax720s till they broke on me. I felt those did a better job at directionality than my a40s do.

So what my question is, can you compare the sound of the a40s to the q701 for me?

i know that black ops 2 has some of the worst directionality possible.

 

The reason why im not using my dt 990s(mostly used for music since i listen to a lot of metal, and pc gaming) for the xbox is because i want to be able to buy a mic attachment that plugs into the headphones (you know how you can unplug q701s from the top) 

 

 

OH! also if you can recommend a mic attachment, cause i cant find the modmic as last time i checked they were sold out -.-.

sorry for the mess. Just woke up :P.

post #11990 of 31249
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNL Feedz View Post

Witch one has a better sound stage, and the least amount of base?

AD700, it's kinda known for it's huge soundstage and anemic bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbleed View Post

The reason why im not using my dt 990s(mostly used for music since i listen to a lot of metal, and pcgaming) for the xbox is because i want to be able to buy a mic attachment that plugs into the headphones (you know how you can unplug q701s from the top) 


OH! also if you can recommend a mic attachment, cause i cant find the modmic as last time i checked they were sold out -.-.
sorry for the mess. Just woke up :P.

You mean a mic attachment that goes in between the headphone's cable and the headphone? (like the one V-Moda was gonna sell for the M-100) I would think that would require a whole new cable with the extra channel for the mic (and extra plug at the end or TRSS termination + a splitter).

Don't mind me if you meant something else... The Modmic 2.0 has been back in stock for a while tho, they received new stock just a week ago so I doubt they've sold thru it. Noise canceling and muting versions (3.0/3.1 & 2.1) aren't out yet, they've had QC and compatibility issues with some sound cards.
post #11991 of 31249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post


AD700, it's kinda known for it's huge soundstage and anemic bass.
You mean a mic attachment that goes in between the headphone's cable and the headphone? (like the one V-Moda was gonna sell for the M-100) I would think that would require a whole new cable with the extra channel for the mic (and extra plug at the end or TRSS termination + a splitter).

Don't mind me if you meant something else... The Modmic 2.0 has been back in stock for a while tho, they received new stock just a week ago so I doubt they've sold thru it. Noise canceling and muting versions (3.0/3.1 & 2.1) aren't out yet, they've had QC and compatibility issues with some sound cards.

oh okay i see. I just checked, but it says pre orders only?

id def pick up the modmic over any other ones.

Now just to see if i should get the q701s lol.

No one wants to buy my a40s T.T

post #11992 of 31249
Quote:
Originally Posted by illbleed View Post

oh okay i see. I just checked, but it says pre orders only?

id def pick up the modmic over any other ones.

Now just to see if i should get the q701s lol.

No one wants to buy my a40s T.T

 

You can make your own for less than $5. Just get some cheap cable, 3.5mm jack and grab some electret mics off ebay. A buddy and I did this before (used a coat hanger for the boom) and found the results very good. IMO the modmic is too sensitive for certain open headphones anyways. It won't be as pretty as the modmic, but will certainly get you by in the meantime for a fraction of the cost.

 

-Erik

post #11993 of 31249
Quote:
Originally Posted by burritoboy9984 View Post

 

You can make your own for less than $5. Just get some cheap cable, 3.5mm jack and grab some electret mics off ebay. A buddy and I did this before (used a coat hanger for the boom) and found the results very good. IMO the modmic is too sensitive for certain open headphones anyways. It won't be as pretty as the modmic, but will certainly get you by in the meantime for a fraction of the cost.

 

-Erik

okay, sounds kinda hard to make lol. 

post #11994 of 31249
So your Saying the ad700 would be my best option ?
post #11995 of 31249
If they're strictly for competitive gaming then yes, for that purpose they're worth the $100. Comfort seems to be hit or miss, I found them light and comfortable but I guess people with different heads or the fidgety kind might find them too loose etc. I've read you can shape the top metal arc with some rubber bands to adjust the fit tho.
post #11996 of 31249

So what would be a better set up..

 

dt990 Pros with a desktop amp (recommended?) plus mod mic/ mic attachement

 

 

q701 with mixamp plus mod mic?

 

i can only really afford to buy the q701, or keep my ddt990s and just buy a amp plus a mod mic.

post #11997 of 31249

q701 with mixamp plus mod mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbleed View Post

So what would be a better set up..

 

dt990 Pros with a desktop amp (recommended?) plus mod mic/ mic attachement

 

 

q701 with mixamp plus mod mic?

 

i can only really afford to buy the q701, or keep my ddt990s and just buy a amp plus a mod mic.

post #11998 of 31249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

No. I heard the AD900 has worse positional cues and a wonkier soundstage.

Ok I'll get the AD700 brand new for the same price. Thanks mate.

Any suggestion on an accompanying mic? from this list 

 

Also I hear the Plantronics Gamecon 780 isn't bad for gaming, I knows it's usb connection (I guess it simulates 7.1 surround), your thoughts? Only reason i ask this is because I had a cheap pair of plantronics headphones in the past and it was my best headphone better than Sennheiser PC350 which have been complete crap for gaming, if i only bought the PC360 maybe, but I won't be buying sennheiser again. I have asus sonar dx sound card on my new computer

 

But you're saying Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones are pretty good for gaming? I only want to work out the position of enemy and stuff in game, not asking a lot.

 

I've also owned steel series siberia v2 - complete crap for gaming, comfortable though, but crap for gaming.

Logitech G35 - more crap. The only good thing logitech have made is their earlier mice MX518 & MX510 and their G9 (their G500 was like using a house brick), I have their G510 Keyboard and it's very ordinary. Who wants to look down at a stats display on the keyboard, by the time you do that you're dead in game from taking your eyes off the screen. And a lot of mechanical keyboards are overrated. The amount of gaming BS these companies release that is crap is criminal. Although the best keyboard for movement in game I owned was a razer lycosa, very tactile keyboard and good keys but i wore it out after a couple of years. 

 

rant over 


Edited by chooka - 2/27/13 at 9:17pm
post #11999 of 31249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post

If they're strictly for competitive gaming then yes, for that purpose they're worth the $100. Comfort seems to be hit or miss, I found them light and comfortable but I guess people with different heads or the fidgety kind might find them too loose etc. I've read you can shape the top metal arc with some rubber bands to adjust the fit tho.
I actually bent the top arcs of mine, just a little. A bend inward at the middle, then a bend outward partway along each side, resulting in a more straight up/down fit more flush against the head instead of pointing at the bottom of the ear/mid-jaw area. But like I said, I only bent it a little, most people wouldn't (haven't) noticed by looking at it. Years later I thought I'd go ahead and "tie" together the headband "wings" with a rubber band (just happened to find one the perfect size in my GF's... uh, doctor totchkies bag?), which increased clamping pressure but also makes the earcups sit even more balanced on the ears, as now there is pressure on the top part of the ears as well as the bottom.

I should just put mine up for "adoption," lol.
post #12000 of 31249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


I actually bent the top arcs of mine, just a little. A bend inward at the middle, then a bend outward partway along each side, resulting in a more straight up/down fit more flush against the head instead of pointing at the bottom of the ear/mid-jaw area. But like I said, I only bent it a little, most people wouldn't (haven't) noticed by looking at it. Years later I thought I'd go ahead and "tie" together the headband "wings" with a rubber band (just happened to find one the perfect size in my GF's... uh, doctor totchkies bag?), which increased clamping pressure but also makes the earcups sit even more balanced on the ears, as now there is pressure on the top part of the ears as well as the bottom.

I should just put mine up for "adoption," lol.

 

That's pretty much the same way I bent mine.  I just made them so the bottom and top of the pad hit at the same time, instead of the bottom hitting first and annoying the jaw.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added)