Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review update)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review update) - Page 1620

post #24286 of 30396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

You might hold off for the new Turtle Beach that's coming out in the next week or two.  They have a new wireless headset that uses DTS Headphone X, has dual noise-canceling mics, wireless charging, etc.  No idea how it will sound, but it looks good on paper.

 

 

Still,  Are you talking about the Elite 800's being released in "in the next week or two"?  I thought they had fall or winter release dates?  I'm all over the 800's so the sooner the release the better but to clarify, where'd you hear they are a week or two away from release? 

post #24287 of 30396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Freeze 74 View Post
 

 

Is there a big difference between the Astro 5.8 and the Mixamp Pro or is the 5.8 just a firmware number? Sorry if this is a newb question.

 

[Edited] On second look, I see that the 5.8 is a wireless solution compared to the Mixamp Pro being all wired. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Is that the only benefit vs the pro?

Yep, it is wireless solution, aside from that it's as cool as the wired one

post #24288 of 30396
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOfEld View Post
 

hiya guys

 

I am in the market for a new set of headphones for PC gaming - I've read through a fair amount of this thread but being a bit of a newb its a little daunting to say the least

 

My current set of headphones are Sennheiser HD595 which are connected to a Soundblaster Recon3D sound card. The HD595 left driver has started to distort/crackle so i need to replace them

 

I dont really have a budget at the moment - i just want to get a feel for the current favourites out there amongst you.

 

The main things i am looking for sound quality and comfort - my Hd595s did tend to get a bit uncomfortable after long gaming sessions

 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

 

For $300, I'd get a Fidelio X1 and an amp (E12, Magni, O2, etc).  You might have to go used on one or both items, but it's a sweet setup for the price.  I have a Recon3D and it's not the best sounding.  Even the Omni was a noticeable upgrade.  That said, an amp should help the sound a lot (the X1 doesn't need to be amped, but the amping does help tighten up the bass).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySam06 View Post
 

 

Still,  Are you talking about the Elite 800's being released in "in the next week or two"?  I thought they had fall or winter release dates?  I'm all over the 800's so the sooner the release the better but to clarify, where'd you hear they are a week or two away from release? 

 

Yes, that's the one.  The article I read during E3 suggested an early July release.  They could have released more information since then though, I haven't been keeping up.

post #24289 of 30396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post

 

 

Yes, that's the one.  The article I read during E3 suggested an early July release.  They could have released more information since then though, I haven't been keeping up.

 

Thanks Still.  After a little digging it looks like the lower end P12's will be released on the 10th of July.  I wish it was the Elites, it's going to be a long wait for those.

 

from polygon.com

 

"The Ear Force P12, an amplified stereo gaming headset that offers game and chat audio through a USB connection on the PS4, will launch July 10. The P12 features 50mm speakers, adjustable bass boost, microphone monitor and an inline amplifier for easy access to volume controls. The P12 also disconnects from the in-line amp for use on PS Vita and other devices."

post #24290 of 30396
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySam06 View Post
 

 

Thanks Still.  After a little digging it looks like the lower end P12's will be released on the 10th of July.  I wish it was the Elites, it's going to be a long wait for those.

 

from polygon.com

 

"The Ear Force P12, an amplified stereo gaming headset that offers game and chat audio through a USB connection on the PS4, will launch July 10. The P12 features 50mm speakers, adjustable bass boost, microphone monitor and an inline amplifier for easy access to volume controls. The P12 also disconnects from the in-line amp for use on PS Vita and other devices."

 

Oh bummer.  I was looking forward to the TAC thing; I suppose that will also be a long wait...

post #24291 of 30396
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySam06 View Post
 

 

Still,  Are you talking about the Elite 800's being released in "in the next week or two"?  I thought they had fall or winter release dates?  I'm all over the 800's so the sooner the release the better but to clarify, where'd you hear they are a week or two away from release? 


I've been reading on the Elite 800s all day. Looks like they will only offer support for the PS3/PS4. They are releasing a headset for the XBOne, but it appears to be a lower model the Stealth 500x, which is similar to the Stealth 400 they will make for Playstation. I really like the potential of the Elite 800 with the TAC. I'm wondering how it will compare to the Astro Mixamp and headphones/mic (Q701). I wish there was more info available. I'm afraid to pull the trigger now because I think the Elite 800s sound like they are going to be awesome when they come out.

post #24292 of 30396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Freeze 74 View Post


I've been reading on the Elite 800s all day. Looks like they will only offer support for the PS3/PS4. They are releasing a headset for the XBOne, but it appears to be a lower model the Stealth 500x, which is similar to the Stealth 400 they will make for Playstation. I really like the potential of the Elite 800 with the TAC. I'm wondering how it will compare to the Astro Mixamp and headphones/mic (Q701). I wish there was more info available. I'm afraid to pull the trigger now because I think the Elite 800s sound like they are going to be awesome when they come out.

 

TAC is set to release in Winter 2014, so realistically some time in December. I hope to get my hands on a review version before they launch.

post #24293 of 30396
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert69 View Post
 

 

The Audio-Technica AD700x is not really available or ridiculously expensive (from 250 $ up) here in Germany.

Other possible options for me are AKG K612 Pro, AKG K701 or Beyerdynamic DT990.

What are the best alternatives for FPS gaming? 

Thanks

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by appsmarsterx View Post
 

 

Q701

Any more opinions?

post #24294 of 30396
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert69 View Post


Any more opinions?

Nope... biggrin.gif
post #24295 of 30396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Freeze 74 View Post
 


I've been reading on the Elite 800s all day. Looks like they will only offer support for the PS3/PS4. They are releasing a headset for the XBOne, but it appears to be a lower model the Stealth 500x, which is similar to the Stealth 400 they will make for Playstation. I really like the potential of the Elite 800 with the TAC. I'm wondering how it will compare to the Astro Mixamp and headphones/mic (Q701). I wish there was more info available. I'm afraid to pull the trigger now because I think the Elite 800s sound like they are going to be awesome when they come out.

Best Buy has a product spec up for the Elite 800's which I swear wasn't up earlier in the day.  Anyway, they have a release date as 10/24/14, not sure the accuracy but it's something, maybe the TAC will be at or around there as well.  I'm drooling over these. 

 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/turtle-beach-elite-800-wireless-dts-7-1-channel-surround-sound-gaming-headset-for-playstation-3-and-playstation-4/7354005.p?id=1219267041101&skuId=7354005

post #24296 of 30396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Freeze 74 View Post
 


I've been reading on the Elite 800s all day. Looks like they will only offer support for the PS3/PS4. They are releasing a headset for the XBOne, but it appears to be a lower model the Stealth 500x, which is similar to the Stealth 400 they will make for Playstation. I really like the potential of the Elite 800 with the TAC. I'm wondering how it will compare to the Astro Mixamp and headphones/mic (Q701). I wish there was more info available. I'm afraid to pull the trigger now because I think the Elite 800s sound like they are going to be awesome when they come out.

 

Okay just keep in mind that these are supposed to be the same $300 price as the A50.  When you get a lot more doo-dads for the same price, something has to give.  Likely it's going to be sound quality.  Since the A50 doesn't have the best SQ to begin with, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

 

Now the standalone TAC is what really interests me (and folks on this thread) because it's looking to be a Mixamp-killer on paper.  Guess we'll find out in 6 months...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySam06 View Post
 

Best Buy has a product spec up for the Elite 800's which I swear wasn't up earlier in the day.  Anyway, they have a release date as 10/24/14, not sure the accuracy but it's something, maybe the TAC will be at or around there as well.  I'm drooling over these. 

 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/turtle-beach-elite-800-wireless-dts-7-1-channel-surround-sound-gaming-headset-for-playstation-3-and-playstation-4/7354005.p?id=1219267041101&skuId=7354005

 

Eh, I wouldn't get your hopes up.  TB doesn't make the best headphones.  If you're in the market today, get a sweet set of cans and hope for the TAC to be a good upgrade.


Edited by Stillhart - 6/30/14 at 4:10pm
post #24297 of 30396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

 

Okay just keep in mind that these are supposed to be the same $300 price as the A50.  When you get a lot more doo-dads for the same price, something has to give.  Likely it's going to be sound quality.  Since the A50 doesn't have the best SQ to begin with, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

 

Now the standalone TAC is what really interests me (and folks on this thread) because it's looking to be a Mixamp-killer on paper.  Guess we'll find out in 6 months...

 

Eh, I wouldn't get your hopes up.  TB doesn't make the best headphones.  If you're in the market today, get a sweet set of cans and hope for the TAC to be a good upgrade.

Very little info on this site. Although dts 7.1 and bluetooth pairing with mobile looks sweet, the fact that it uses optical for audio makes me kinda doubt the rationale behind selling my perfectly good mixamp to buy this. Unless the usb dac portion of this is significantly better that 16/48 locked usb MixAmp. 

 

BTW. Anybody knows wheter mixamp is capable of outputting better quality sound via USB?

post #24298 of 30396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yethal View Post
 

Very little info on this site. Although dts 7.1 and bluetooth pairing with mobile looks sweet, the fact that it uses optical for audio makes me kinda doubt the rationale behind selling my perfectly good mixamp to buy this. Unless the usb dac portion of this is significantly better that 16/48 locked usb MixAmp. 

 

BTW. Anybody knows wheter mixamp is capable of outputting better quality sound via USB?

 

 

Well the main things I think people are looking forward to:

  • DTS Headphone X
    • 9.1 (with elevation not just flat surround) vs 5.1
    • Many people don't like the Dolby Headphone processing, even if it were 5.1 vs 5.1
  • Mixamp is hissy and has a weak amp.  Hopefully this isn't and doesn't.
  • Mixamp DAC is 16/48.  Hopefully this isn't.

 

The other stuff is pretty comparable to the Mixamp so (at least IMO) not particularly interesting.

 

EDIT - Mixamp doesn't output sound via USB (other than sending mic to Playstation).

post #24299 of 30396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post

 

Well the main things I think people are looking forward to:

  • DTS Headphone X
    • 9.1 (with elevation not just flat surround) vs 5.1
    • Many people don't like the Dolby Headphone processing, even if it were 5.1 vs 5.1
  • Mixamp is hissy and has a weak amp.  Hopefully this isn't and doesn't.
  • Mixamp DAC is 16/48.  Hopefully this isn't.

 

The other stuff is pretty comparable to the Mixamp so (at least IMO) not particularly interesting.

 

EDIT - Mixamp doesn't output sound via USB (other than sending mic to Playstation).

 

I hope the TAC allows digital out. If I can run this into a desktop DAC I couldn't care less what the built-in DAC limit is. This is the first time I've seriously coveted something from TB. I'm not sure I like the feeling. :p

 

Native Mac compatibility FTW!

post #24300 of 30396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

 

 

Well the main things I think people are looking forward to:

  • DTS Headphone X
    • 9.1 (with elevation not just flat surround) vs 5.1
    • Many people don't like the Dolby Headphone processing, even if it were 5.1 vs 5.1
  • Mixamp is hissy and has a weak amp.  Hopefully this isn't and doesn't.
  • Mixamp DAC is 16/48.  Hopefully this isn't.

 

The other stuff is pretty comparable to the Mixamp so (at least IMO) not particularly interesting.

 

EDIT - Mixamp doesn't output sound via USB (other than sending mic to Playstation).

But Mixamp can be used as PC USB dac (just very ****ty one) Ok, I see a reason to buy the TAC  now. How cool would it be though, if somebody finally made hdmi passthrough virtual surround device that uses 7.1 24/192 lpcm as source?... And if consoles actually output 7.1 lpcm for games


Edited by Yethal - 6/30/14 at 6:28pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review update)