- 59 Posts. Joined 5/2014
- Select All Posts By This User
I think the hd6 mix would be better for gaming..the other two might drown things out with the bass but not 100% sure..read about them but i have never heard any of them yet!
Well, I picked up a Mixamp 5.8 on ebay for $40 shipped. Compared to my Recond3D:
- The wireless is obviously super duper convenient. There's still a little bundle of wires on the couch next to me, but it's way more manageable than a 20-ft cable going across the room that needs to be assembled before and put away after every gaming session.
- It's much easier to balance game/chat volumes. Like... MUCH easier.
- It's got that sucky DH "I'm calling you from the bathroom" reverb effect in chat.
- I personally don't find the surround cues to be as effective as the THX on the Recon.
- I don't hear any difference in background hiss. To be fair, I do have some minor tinnitus and so it may be there but I just can't hear it.
- It just seems to work. I was having issues with the Recon where chat was not coming through correctly sometimes (Xbone would autodetect and send chat audio through the controller). No such issue on the Mixamp so far.
Overall, despite the bathroom effect and the subpar DH surround, I like it a lot better. I'm glad I have the E11 to pair with it, as it needs to be cranked pretty high with the Q701's. I suspect my Recon will be on the classifieds here in short order, but I'm going to continue testing it for a bit.
Now, as soon as @Zombie_X finishes his mini-XLR->3.5mm adapter, I'll be able to use the Boompro with the Q701. That'll eliminate one mic cable and one Y adapter from the bundle of cables in my lap. I'll braid out the excess length and I think I'll be pretty set for gaming on the console.
After months of owning the Philips X1 with BoomPro along with the Astro 5.1 mixamp, I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather connect my headphones directly into the PS4/XB1 controller. A lot more convenient.
I assume you meant the 5.8? Out of curiosity, are you playing shooters? If you're not playing CoD or Titanfall or something like that, the virtual surround isn't going to add a whole lot to your experience. I'm still holding out hope that the consoles will start outputting virtual surround through the controllers without need for a separate Mixamp (etc) so we can get the best of both worlds.
Well... on the plus side, you can sell that 5.8 for some good money since they're so hard to find these days.
One more random question: have you tried any of those videos that compare the different surround processing techs? I find the THX on the Recon to be noticeably better than the DH on the Mixamp. You might have the same thing... of course the Recon is a big PITA to use too, but it really does sound better to me (and others on here).