- 1,755 Posts. Joined 2/2012
- Location: US
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 9/21/14 at 4:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review update) - Page 1033post #15481 of 305387/29/13 at 11:11pmI can't say for sure on the Q701 yet, I am going off memory on them sadly. I could be wrong though. I always had a little trouble truly grasping the Q701s soundstage and imaging properly while with the MA900 I never did. I will be able to compare them properly when i can borrow my friends Q701. I did hear the MA900 vs HD 598 though.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #15482 of 305387/30/13 at 12:57ampost #15483 of 305387/30/13 at 2:06am
You might want to check this thread:
MLE's thread is mainly for console gamers.post #15484 of 305387/30/13 at 4:29ampost #15485 of 305387/30/13 at 4:40amQuote:
Oh no.. i was almost convinced on buying the t90's :p now after reading around a bit more maybe not.. the reviews seem mixed.. some people really love it while others hate it.. maybe i neet to hear it myself..post #15486 of 305387/30/13 at 4:58ampost #15487 of 305387/30/13 at 4:58amThread StarterI mean, trebly headphones don't bother me, but I'm over that phase. So while I love Beyers, they're just not what I look for in sound anymore.post #15488 of 305387/30/13 at 11:15am
Hi Mad Lust,
Thanks for all the great tips and info! Your thread is so useful. I'm a PC gamer and I play alot of competitive FPS games. I've decided to get a pair of Audio-Technica AD700X. Not alot of reviews out yet for this update on the AD700. I'm hoping I don't have any comfort issues. Just gonna have to try them out. I'm going to be feeding them from an ASUS Xonar DGX card and will definitely be using Dolby Headphone for some virtual surround positioning.
Kromaticpost #15489 of 305387/30/13 at 2:47pmKromatic,
I used an AD700 for three years, definitely a special headphone with great value. The downside is poor bass extension, so it sounds fairly lean, but the pluses are accurate, out-of-your-head soundstaging that is one of the best with virtual surround, light weight and low fatigue, and easy clarity to pick up on tactical details while gaming. I actually think it responds well to EQ, I used the bass-boost function with my Recon3D and was really impressed playing Metro: 2033, the scene where the anomaly rumbles past actually seemed bassy and powerful.
I would recommend not being afraid to bend the headband (3 places, in at the center then out flatter at 1/3rds areas) so that the ear cups sit more flush with your head (too wide at stock for most European heads), and maybe trying a hair-tie or medium sized rubber band between the "wings" to increase clamping force. They don't require as much special expensive amping as other headphones.
I think you will be quite impressed.post #15490 of 305387/30/13 at 10:22pm
So it only took me forever, but I finally put up my thread about Marantz receivers with Dolby Headphone processing. I hope it's useful for anyone looking at going the AVR route for DH.post #15491 of 305387/31/13 at 3:01amWith the dss/mix amp, do you have to feed it a Dolby digital (true surround signal) for it to process to Dolby headphone, or can it do it from a stereo source
Because surely optical can only output coded Dolby digital or 2 channel lpcm, so although consoles code output to Dolby digital it wouldn't work on pc unless you're running with Dolby digital live?post #15492 of 305387/31/13 at 3:17amThread StarterIt has to be from a true dolby digital signal. There is no way to get proper dolby headphone otherwise. You'll get either a prologic ii version of DH, or just stereo with a bunch of reverb and no advantage whatsoever.post #15493 of 305387/31/13 at 4:37am
so- on console it outputs Dolby digital, so works fine with the DSS/Mix amp, but on PC you'd need dolby digital live over optical? Or something that had 3 sets of analogue inputs?
I play FPS mostly on ps3, PC and mac (use a mac for work stuff), and trying to get something to work over all 3 platforms. Got the xonar u3 working well on windows with dolby headphone, but doesn't work on console or mac- so might get the earforce dss to use with ps3 and also return the xonar u3 and use optical out on the computer to go to DSS (but would need a soundcard with DDL right, so would have to keep xonar? meaning the DSS would be useless for PC use), I think there's no hope for DH on mac as there's nothing than can output DDL (dolby digital live) in game, although I do get 6 channel discrete over HDMI to my AV receiver, so maybe if I use an av receiver with DH support (marrantz?) that would give dolby headphone on everything that was connected- so 6 channel LPCM over HDMI from macbook pro, optical coded with DDL from PC, and optical with DD from ps3. Neatest solution, but most expensive and i'm happy with my current amp
also thinking of upgrading my headphones, they're pretty crappy- so not sure if it's worth upgrading headphones first (senn 558 modded) or getting DH first and upgrading later.
I never use the mic, so I think it would be better to get good headphones with a seperate DH converter, rather than a headset- but if there was a good headset on the market with built in dolby headphone I could go for that, wireless would be real nice too, there are some newer sennheisers, and the turtle beach but I don't think they will work with mac? (FWIW I only really play CS:GO on mac so it's not a deal breaker but it would be nice, as long as I can actually get sound from them on the mac i'd be happy)
just want the best bang for my buck, and don't want to waste money
your guide is excellent btw, so helpful
Edited by firefly89 - 7/31/13 at 4:40ampost #15494 of 305387/31/13 at 4:40amThread StarterThe Xonar U3's software program has a setting to change the spdif/optical out to send out an untouched dolby digital signal to the DSS. Thats how it would work with the DSS. However, why, when the U3 does the same thing? Use the DSS for non PC use.
I think the 558 is a solid headphone. I really like it.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 7/31/13 at 4:47ampost #15495 of 305387/31/13 at 6:09amQuote:
You sure about this? Dolby's site doesn't make it sound like that. Also, what about the JVC DH device with DTS? I've listened to a channel check encoded in 5.1 pcm and 5.1 DD, and I'll check again, but I thought they sounded identical with DH enabled.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review update)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 30 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 2 minutes ago
- › ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro 3 minutes ago
- › How and why do members fall in love with second tier headphones? 3 minutes ago
- › Macbook Pro soundcard VS ... 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792, BTL Amplication Circuit, 24/192,... 6 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Verb IEM Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 8 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by sarora
- › VSONIC VSD 2S by Arvan
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by acain
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by kite7
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by weirdek
- › Chord Hugo by FortisFlyer75
- › Technics RP-DH1200 DJ Headphones by Johannus
- › Bravo Audio S1 Class A Deluxe Headphone Amplifier with Op-amp by YoYo JoKeR
- › MEElectronics A151P Gen.2 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by YoYo JoKeR
- › PSB M4U 1 by squee116
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2