- 16,414 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Design & Comfort: Why can't you all do this? AudioQuest makes their first headphone and immediately gets so many things right that other companies seem to completely ignore. They even had the...
Bought these bad boys on sale from Harman Audio. Very clear and balanced sound for the price range, I have also had some good Grado SR80i headphones that I gave to my brother but the AKG K550 has...
Introduction Based on the very successful Delta earphones previously, Brainwavz has come up with a second version of the Delta’s, now upgraded with Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity. As these are...
Introduction FiiO X5 3rd generation is the successor of the loved by many X5 2nd generation DAP from FiiO. I requested to be a part of the tour for X5 3rd gen because I really wanted to hear...
After spending over a week of daily listening to these ciems I can confidently say that I have made an excellent choice with these ciems. There is nothing that i can say that hasn't been already...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 655post #9811 of 3833912/17/12 at 1:30pmThread StarterI didnt see it before. Very nice. Not sure I'd gut any of my headphones like that though, lol.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #9812 of 3833912/17/12 at 1:38pm
i originally modded the a30's because i let a friend borrow them and he broke them. While fixing them i noticed there could be some improvements. I figured i was going to buy a new pair of headphones and was considering getting the new a40's but figured i'd take a stab at making my old ones better sounding like i did the a30's so i didn't have to buy new ones.post #9813 of 3833912/17/12 at 1:53pm
I just got a working CECHA PS3 today and have been messing around with it for a bit.
One of the first things I noticed was that when I fired up Saints Row 2 (got it and some other games bundled with a parts PS3 I couldn't fix due to the seller's misdiagnosis), it was the DTS light that popped on my SU-DH1, not the Dolby Digital light.
I guess those DTS logos weren't for show, and Sony's more lax in their surround format requirements than Microsoft (whom, if I'm not mistaken, demand Dolby Digital support specifically) if you set the PS3 to output DTS and other formats over S/PDIF.
Oh, and MLE, check your PS3 for friend requests. You can probably help me wrap my head around this new-to-me console and its quirks; for starters, it's a good thing that I could borrow my brother's HDTV for a little while, as it's the only display in the entire house with an HDMI input. (Not even joking about that.) Had to go in and enable the AV-out port before scratching my head at a blank screen with the usual PS A/V cables, hoping this wasn't one of those "no video" consoles just short of YLoD. (And while composite looks terrible, especially by PS3 standards, I need to prepare it for use with component cables. HDMI has to wait 'til I can afford an HDfury4/3Dfury.)
Edited by NamelessPFG - 12/17/12 at 1:56pmpost #9814 of 3833912/17/12 at 2:17pm
Yes, it looks like you did something similar to the "Kramer Mod."
It looks like that's a pretty major mod and not something you can compare the before and after results.post #9815 of 3833912/17/12 at 2:19pm
The thing is that I probably won't be able to use it with a Wii U (no optical output) which I intent to buy within the next year or so. I would like a universal solution (on dedicated gaming consoles) and a AVR would probably solve that issue.
Although now that I think about it, I might be able to use the RCA cables and "piggyback" them onto the mixamp for audio since I have like three sets of those bad boys. (Both component and composite) Can anybody please tell me if I will achieve 5.1 sound or at least something similar to optical output using the RCA cables?Quote:
Yea, I'd respond but I'm new at this...
Edited by Roger de Ceiba - 12/17/12 at 2:32pmpost #9816 of 3833912/17/12 at 4:20pm
Yes, the rca can produce a 3d imaging. Don't know if it takes the analog and converts it digital and back to analog but it does do it somehow.
Usually this is at a degrade of quality.post #9817 of 3833912/17/12 at 4:31pmpost #9818 of 3833912/17/12 at 4:41pmQuote:
What I believe he is saying is that it is almost impossible to A/B a mod like that.
-Erikpost #9819 of 3833912/17/12 at 4:42pm
Mad Lust Envy Did you by any chance test the Sennheiser HD 558 aswell? I've read that the 558 has a little stronger bass than 598, which why I'm being pulled more to 558, even tho the 598 look so much better overall.post #9820 of 3833912/17/12 at 4:47pmQuote:
You can't compare the sound from before and after the mod back to back (without a second pair of A40s).post #9821 of 3833912/17/12 at 4:52pmQuote:
As a HD558 owner, I would guess (?) the black rubber tape that is inside the cups of the HD558 and covers about 1/3 of their grill, some how gives the HD558 more of a stronger bass sounding headphone.
Personally, I removed the black rubber tape and have never thought to put them back in.post #9822 of 3833912/17/12 at 5:24pm
This thread is really making me want to get the Beyer 990pro again. I had it once but the right driver blew out so I decided to return and see what else was out there, but nothing gave me the same excitement and comfort that those cans didpost #9823 of 3833912/17/12 at 5:34pm
lol, i've had a lot of headphones and can assure you i know the difference. Also, i did get a chance to a/b because my friend brought his over to have me do the mod to his. I got to ab them and so did he. It only assured him more that he wanted it done to his.post #9824 of 3833912/17/12 at 5:35pm
whether it be 1min from the time i heard one or an hour, i can tell you the differences. Partly because i have done extensive listening and finding the strengths and weaknesses of my headphones.post #9825 of 3833912/17/12 at 5:42pmQuote:
Wait, is that a good or a bad thing?
And for the second question, a degrade in quality compared to what? Optical output. I was thinking of using an RCA to Optical DAC but it seems most are made to work the other wat around.
So I would suppose it would go Wii U through RCA>DAC >Mixamp>another amp>headphone
Would that be (significantly) worse than straight through optical out?
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 2 seconds ago
- › REVIEW: Koss KTXPRO1....an awesome portable headphone! 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › MQA: Revolutionary British streaming technology 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-A30 SERIES 4 minutes ago
- › Best Sub-100$ CHINESE Brands EARPHONES Thread- Hidden Gems,... 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN HE-500 with Alpha Pads and aftermarket cable 5 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by ss5972
- › Joyroom JR-E107 Metal Headphone In-Ear Earphone With Control And... by B9Scrambler
- › Chord MoJo by mswlogo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Jackpot77
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by BillsonChang007
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear