- 16,396 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
In Ears Prophile 8 IEM review January 2017 Intro I had heard of In Ears but did not know too much about them until I see them on the In-Ear stand at the Indulgence show in London...
MrZ's Toneking Musicmaker TingThe review that swayed me to get on-boardhttp://www.head-fi.org/products/musicmaker-ting/reviews/15584The slightly down-line 1/2 price...
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 62post #916 of 379364/10/11 at 10:18amThread StarterI think the opposite. Every headphone I have used (including the DT880) fail horribly in giving me the sense of full 360 space the way DH does. Stereo is more width than anything. Like everything is in a line, as opposed to all around me. Its not even a competition at this point. I wouldn't play a game in stereo unless it was the only option. No headphone gives a real sense of rear audio cues. None I have used.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #917 of 379364/10/11 at 10:46am
He's not talking about plain stereo though. He's talking about game that have DH-like algorithms built-in to their own sound engine.
At least that's what I think he meant.post #918 of 379364/10/11 at 10:55amThread StarterI got that too. Black Ops, Bad Company 2 and some other games have a headphone surround mode that still don't come close to DH to me. Yes, I try those just to see how they compare. Not much can compete with a DSP that places sound all around you. DH is an addiction, and I haven't heard anything that matches it.
I'm quite anal about my surround positional cues. If anything is better than DH, I haven't heard it yet.post #919 of 379364/10/11 at 11:16am
Well there's always legitimate room for disagreement in this area. The performance of any such algorithm will be linked to how well its HRTF matches your own. In a mass marketed algorithm that allows for no customization its not surprising that it works better for some people than for others.
Many people tend not to understand that this is caused by physical differences in the shape of a person's ears, head, and torso and just assume that everyone who prefers a different algorithm is crazy or something.post #920 of 379364/10/11 at 11:29amThread StarterWell I never said that he's crazy or anything. I specifically stated that to ME, nothing compares to DH. I know there are plenty who agree and who disagree.
Just as some prefer Silent Cinema, CMSS, and other surround DSPs, or just plain stereo.
Just that to me, regular stereo only excels at extreme left and right cues, with very little to discern front/back and overall depth.
People say that DSPs asound artificial, but they don't seem to realize that stereo is just as artificial. We don't hear sounds with just one ear, which a lot of positional cues in stereo mode do unless the sound is more centralized.
Anyways. Still think people should give DH the chance to prove itself, as I know some people who try it once and don't like it because its so different from what they grew accustomed to.
All I know is that going back to stereo is like putting on blinders for me.post #921 of 379364/10/11 at 11:49am
I wasn't saying either of you were. I was just referring to the fact that I've seen lots of other people act that way. I'm on your side here.
The first half of this thread is full of the people I am talking about. First they say that DH sucks (most likely because it doesn't match their own HRTF), which is followed by you politely telling them that this thread is specifically for people who DH does work for, followed by them calling the whole point of the thread invalid and stupid because if it doesn't work for them it can't possibly work for anyone else.
Those are the people who I was saying call other people crazy. Not you or CKpost #922 of 379364/10/11 at 4:57pmThread StarterAh ok. I recently got pm'd by someone thanking me for this thread and saying that he was gonna get the K701 with a clip on to hook up to his Onkyo receiver. I had to remind him that the Onkyo probably didn't have DH, and that I couldn't guarantee the same performance without it.
I mean I put it right there in the title and on the first page. It really is RIDICULOUSLY different when using DH on and off. A headphone I recommend might be terrible without DH. I wish people understood this.post #923 of 379364/10/11 at 8:14pmpost #924 of 379364/11/11 at 5:18ampost #925 of 379364/11/11 at 11:24am
Any1 knows anything about this newly released product (April 7th) http://www.psykoaudio.com/index.php/Krypt.html - I know 5.1 sets aren't exactly the most liked around here but this product looks somewhat more promissing and it's just been released and I kind of like the features such as openable cup at the back to let background noise in (or possibly change sound a bit as well like with open-back headphones?) and no software or drivers needed, just plug n play and it comes with an amp with adjustable bass level and led indicators for which channels the sounds are coming from and the mic is removable.
More read about their PsykoWave technology (surround implementation) http://www.psykoaudio.com/index.php/PsykoWave-Technology.html
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 4/11/11 at 11:41ampost #926 of 379364/11/11 at 11:39ampost #927 of 379364/11/11 at 11:40am
That's the old Psyko 5.1 set, this Krypton was released a couple of days ago so I doubt I'll find lots of reviews. :p This is an improved set of the original based on the feedback they've received, it states changes in sound quality so it probably uses different drivers.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 4/11/11 at 11:45ampost #928 of 379364/11/11 at 12:06pmpost #929 of 379364/11/11 at 2:16pm
I agree. The original concept seemed great. I'm glad they revamped the product, and I think if they did it correctly they could have a winner. It all depends on how much they literally made changes based on reviews. Some companies will claim, "We listened to you guys and made changes." But you find out it's the same sh*t different housing. They needed to change quite a few things, and I'm hoping they were able to do so while remaining in budget.post #930 of 379364/13/11 at 5:14amI'm confused I thought that the psyko carbon was the new model and there are a few reviews for that, seems they have released 2 models at the same time though, the carbon and the other one mentioned on here, would be interested to know the differences other than the colour changes.
Psyko are also making a console version due out at the end of the year so will be interesting to see how that turns out
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Best *Bass* headphone for working out 15 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 17 seconds ago
- › Trinity Audio Phantom Master 4 Driver IEM 40 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 52 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016) 2 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › [Comparison Review] AKG K550 & K553 5 minutes ago
- › AKG K403 by IkuMiku96
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by FortisFlyer75
- › MusicMaker Ting by Redcarmoose
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear