or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 600

post #8986 of 37450
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post

Do people get good results double amping with the Astro mixamp? I have the Fiio E09K/E17 combo along with the Mix-amp. What would I do to amp, let's say, the Beyerdynamic DT990 600 Ohm?

I'm assuming your using the Astro mix-amp. with a gaming console.

Just plug the Fiio E9 into the Mix-Amps headphone jack and plug the DT990 600-Ohm into the Fiio E9

Can't really see a need for the Fiio E17 in this setup.

post #8987 of 37450

Double post


Edited by Sanctuary - 11/10/12 at 1:23pm
post #8988 of 37450

Have you looked into the Tritton Warhead? The package comes alot more streamlined than other options here since it's wireless

post #8989 of 37450
Quote:
This is my first and LAST 5.1 headset. This is the worst frigging headset I have ever heard. I couldn't believe it was worth $189... I was peeved. The sound quality was absolutely mediocre, more on par with $30 headphones (KSC75 excluded). Now to the meat of the reason anyone would get this garbage: The 5.1 speakers. If it's better than virtual surround, it sure could have fooled me, because I wasn't buying into that gimmick. There was a noticeable gap between the drivers when a sound switched from one driver to the next. Sure, you can TELL where sounds are coming from if you pay attention to which driver is currently putting off noise, but I'll take the complete 360 degree soundfield Dolby Headphone has to offer over the AX Pros. Anyone who thinks this is better in positioning than a pair of AD700s, DT770 Pro 80s, and K70x with Dolby Headphone is someone I'd call a bold faced liar. The AX720 is better, and cheaper, plus the AX720's amp can be used with other headphones. There is absolutely no reason to own the Ax Pros, unless you want to see just how inferior it is.

 



Reading that always gets me laughing.  Not because I disagree, but because of how spot on it is.  Those were also my "first" and last 5.1 headset.  While I technically owned the 720s for a day prior (I was stupid, and had no idea you could use a different pair of cans than what came with the amp and was less than impressed with the DH effect), the Ax Pro were what I used for about a year and a half, thinking having the seperate drivers would be better than what the 720's offered.  Joke was on me.  I absolutely hated using those, but at the time they were better than nothing.  Mess of cables to have to deal with, as well as always having to constantly mess around with the adjusting the drivers depending on what you were using the headphones for.  Phenomenal "boomy" bass, but horrible at true seperation and everything else. 

I ended up giving them to a friend of mine who is never allowed to listen to surround sound in his own house (due to his wife), and he really likes them.  Good for him, since they are better than absolutely nothing, but he would never make it as an audiophile.  He thinks they do seperation very well, and actually likes them more than the other setups I have around at my house (I think he's just adjusted to the crappy sound of the Pros or something, because I think he's totally insane).
 

post #8990 of 37450
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzelicc View Post

Thanks so much chroniX, that worked! However, i noticed that whenever i change windows audio settings to 5.1 - it forced X-Fi control panel to switch to 5.1 as well.

As a result, it sounded like the CMSS-3D issue is fixed but the sound is missing bass altogether. (as if im trying to listen to 5.1 sound using stereo)

Is there a way to stop/disable windows audio settings from syncing with XFi control panel?

Thanks again in advance for all your help thus far!

No problem. I ran into that issue as well and forgot exactly how I fixed it. I am using a custom driver with my Titanium HD though, maybe that's why. You can find more info on it here: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/pax-drivers/
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

The only way to keep the settings from syncing under Vista/Win7/Win8 is to set the X-Fi control panel to Headphones. Unfortunately, Creative didn't bother to include a checkbox for those OSes like they do with XP.

Personally, I've never had issues with CMSS-3D Headphone reducing the apparent soundstage. If anything, it tends to increase it...strange.

It always made it better for me with cheaper headphones. But I found with headphones that have a huge soundstage, what it does is bring the sound closer which might actually be better for gaming.

Play a song with the X-Fi control panel open, and try disabling/enabling CMSS-3D during playback. If it's like mine, you should notice without CMSS (on headphone mode), the sound extends further back. With it on, it sacrifices some of the soundstage to make the sound more intimate to me, and give clearer mids.
post #8991 of 37450
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaHat View Post

Have you looked into the Tritton Warhead? The package comes alot more streamlined than other options here since it's wireless

I saw two reviews that the warhead and detonator headsets were disappointing, and decided they weren't worth looking into more. Also, figure in the fact that out of your ~$70, a good portion of that budget on a wireless headset goes to a battery, wireless receiver, cheap internal DAC and amp, and that there is more transmission loss and signal compression for any wireless connection... and consider how much further your money could go.

When I game with my Xbox and either the Q701 or AD700, there is one wire (the headphone wire) going from me to the Recon3D processor next to my screen (a computer monitor for now), and then I have a lapel mic plugged into my wireless Xbox controller. Easy peasy. It's even Better when I have my Recon3D outputting into my Receiver, because I can use the remote to adjust volume control instead of getting up.
post #8992 of 37450
Quote:
I saw two reviews that the warhead and detonator headsets were disappointing, and decided they weren't worth looking into more. Also, figure in the fact that out of your ~$70, a good portion of that budget on a wireless headset goes to a battery, wireless receiver, cheap internal DAC and amp, and that there is more transmission loss and signal compression for any wireless connection... and consider how much further your money could go.

Makes sense. I can still see the appeal of it though since the package seems more user friendly (wireless, simple setup, integrated mic) Putting it into perspective though overall sq wins over features.

post #8993 of 37450
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

I tried double amping the astro mixamp with O2.  With astro mixamp at around 50% volume and O2 maxed out, I sure as hell didn't get the volume boost I was hoping for.  

You need to MAX out the Mixamp or nearly max it. You're not gonna get almost anything with the Mixamp at half power.

And no, you get no extra audible distortion from what I personally hear.

Just ordered the HE-400 again. This is gonna have to do. Now to get the E17...once Miccastore gets it in stock on Amazon again...
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 11/10/12 at 7:36pm
post #8994 of 37450
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaHat View Post

Makes sense. I can still see the appeal of it though since the package seems more user friendly (wireless, simple setup, integrated mic) Putting it into perspective though overall sq wins over features.

Well, such products exist because there is a demand. I imagine it sounds pretty decent, and for some "truly wireless" headphones they're fine to trade a little sound quality. But for $279!!! You can hear some sweet sound for 280 bones! And I'm pretty certain, hear good headphones at that level, one wire between the TV and you will seem like you've paid such a bargain for such magic... I mean really, what is the benefit of an integrated mic (where you're screwed if it happens not to work well)?
Edited by Evshrug - 11/10/12 at 7:56pm
post #8995 of 37450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


You need to MAX out the Mixamp or nearly max it. You're not gonna get almost anything with the Mixamp at half power.
And no, you get no extra audible distortion from what I personally hear.
Just ordered the HE-400 again. This is gonna have to do. Now to get the E17...once Miccastore gets it in stock on Amazon again...


getting rid of the HD650's or keeping them as a second pair?

post #8996 of 37450
Thread Starter 
I'd love to keep them, but I prefer to have just one headphone for all purposes, and could use that money for something else. I'm going to get an E17 and use that as a permanent bass boost for the HE400 whenever I want bass, and the odac when I dont need the bass boost, like when watching tv shows and anime.

I rather not bass boost, but the HE400 is worth it as the best all arounder I've heard aside from the D7000. There's the HE4 which i also love, but I prefer the easier amp requirements of the HE400.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 11/10/12 at 9:52pm
post #8997 of 37450

MLE, you really need to find someone that owns the Pioneer SE-DHP800 and give them a spin.  They are tied to their own box that's essentially a Mixamp (with DTS on top of DD), but you can also use a seperate, corded pair with it too.  I'd like to hear your impression of them and how they compare to other headphones you've already reviewed.  Personally, I find them to give off the most naturally "theatre" like sound without any particular frequency dominating.
 

post #8998 of 37450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I'd love to keep them, but I prefer to have just one headphone for all purposes, and could use that money for something else. I'm going to get an E17 and use that as a permanent bass boost for the HE400 whenever I want bass, and the odac when I dont need the bass boost, like when watching tv shows and anime.
I rather not bass boost, but the HE400 is worth it as the best all arounder I've heard aside from the D7000. There's the HE4 which i also love, but I prefer the easier amp requirements of the HE400.

I know you had the Denon D7000 at least twice. Why did you get rid of it? You seemed to love it.

 

Do you just enjoy trying new headphones, or are you never satisfied?

post #8999 of 37450
Pleather/Leather (I'm not too sure which) pads... If they made velours for it MLE would buy it in a heartbeat (I'm assuming).
post #9000 of 37450
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruuku View Post

Pleather/Leather (I'm not too sure which) pads... If they made velours for it MLE would buy it in a heartbeat (I'm assuming).

This. Notice how the D7000 was the last headphone I bought that didnt have velours.

Well, the HE400 too, but they do have Hifiman velours that make them sound better than stock.

Sadly, no one bothered with velours on the D7000.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)