- 16,375 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Thanks go to earphonia.com who were pleased to let me give the excellently valued Co-Donguri earphone a spin. Pairings Equipment Hidizs AP60 Chord Mojo Dac Intro My second IEM...
Kaiser Encore: Early impressions Please note: This review is posted only so I could share my (very) early impressions, as I know many are eager to hear about the latest Noble (co-) flagship....
Note: I have previously reviewed the K10 from Noble, where I covered much of Noble’s history and order process. For this reason, I will use some of the portions of that review that pertain to Noble...
Founded in 2014 in Guangzhou, China, Shinrico is a company focused on digital electronic products in the field of high-tech enterprises. Recently I reviewed their excellent D3S Digital...
For larger (1200x800) images, simply click any photoINTRODUCTIONAhhh – the portable amplifier – one of the audio enthusiast's more misunderstood tools / assets. For the beginner, there...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 567post #8491 of 3746310/18/12 at 10:28amThread StarterOh, well, I only liked it for bass neutral cans like the PC360, Q701, HD598.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #8492 of 3746310/18/12 at 10:30amQuote:Originally Posted by chicolom
In my experience the mixamp's boost is one that leans towards affecting the low mids. This may be a sloppier bass boost then some tighter ones that boost more specific lows with stronger punch/slam, but a broader boomier bass boost does sometimes give off a home-theatery bass effect. Or at least it can make the overall sound fuller at the expense of a bit looser sounding low end. The bass boost on the DSS is tighter and affects fewer frequencies with stronger slam, but doesn't fill out the sound much.
To this end, the DSS2 has several different levels of bass boost (to go along with combinations of treble/mid boosts). It worked really well on the HD555, cans that desperately needed that low end help. Haven't played with it too much on the DT 990 though. The "flat" setting is all you need with these lively cans.post #8493 of 3746310/18/12 at 10:36amThread Starterpost #8494 of 3746310/18/12 at 10:38ampost #8495 of 3746310/18/12 at 10:43amThread StarterTrust me, for the power it has... there is absolutely no reason to feel like I need an upgrade. This is the most expensive Audio piece I have decided to go with. I trust Audio-GD's stuff. It was between this and the Compass-2, but I felt that this would definitely not make me wanna upgrade, while the Compass-2 was more for tweakers.
Gonna have to pair it up with the ODAC to keep my sanity. Once it's all set, I'll sell the E17.post #8496 of 3746310/18/12 at 11:18am
That's a $500 DAC/amp there...and to think that $500 is barely enough for a decent electrostatic amp (SRM-T1 might be doable, SRM-1/Mk2 Pro is more likely with that budget), no DAC included.
Head-Fi can really skew one's perceptions on prices for audio gear...post #8497 of 3746310/18/12 at 11:19amThread StarterThat's actually an amp only (SA-31). The Compass 2 is indeed a DAC/AMP though.
You think the SA-31 can power Stax? Probably not. Lol.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 10/18/12 at 11:20ampost #8498 of 3746310/18/12 at 12:39pmpost #8499 of 3746310/18/12 at 1:34pmpost #8500 of 3746310/18/12 at 5:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
Trust me, for the power it has... there is absolutely no reason to feel like I need an upgrade. This is the most expensive Audio piece I have decided to go with. I trust Audio-GD's stuff. It was between this and the Compass-2, but I felt that this would definitely not make me wanna upgrade, while the Compass-2 was more for tweakers.
Gonna have to pair it up with the ODAC to keep my sanity. Once it's all set, I'll sell the E17.
Hurr gu Bah?! Ordered? Isn't it a $500 amp? Lol I hope it is amazing for you. Poor foster E90K and E17, heh. I remember you thought you might need the portable DAC of the E17, is that no longer the case?
Edited by Evshrug - 10/18/12 at 6:54pmpost #8501 of 3746310/18/12 at 5:17pmpost #8502 of 3746310/18/12 at 5:38pmpost #8503 of 3746310/18/12 at 6:53pmThread Starterpost #8504 of 3746310/18/12 at 6:58pmThe FiiO E19 (Everest) is going to be a portable DAC/amp with about the same power as the E90K (and E9). Sounds interesting. I wonder if that means the E12 will also be about as powerful as the E90k...post #8505 of 3746310/18/12 at 7:00pmThread StarterWhat can be improved upon from the ODAC which is said to sound the same as the Benchmark DAC 1? That's a helluva claim. That and I honestly couldn't tell between the E17, NFB 5 DACs. They sounded the exact same to me.Quote:Originally Posted by evshrug
I remember you thought you might need the portable DAC of the E17, is that no longer the case?
I needed the portable amp because I was moving from my bedroom to my PC setup in the living. I no longer need that as I moved my PC setup to my room. Everything will be connected directly to the SA-31. It has a lot of analog inputs.
1. ODAC (PC)
2. Mixamp (game systems)
3. 3DS/Vita (have to buy a long 3.5 to rca cable, so I can play from my bed)
I'm pretty covered.
I'll probably keep the E17 for now while I recuperate some of this cost, then change to the ODAC.
$631.40 after shipping and remote for the SA-31.
OUCH. My second D7000 was about $610. Yup. The SA.31 has hurt my wallet more than anything. Good thing Paypal has Bill Me Later.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Earbuds Round-Up 4 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 seconds ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 31 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 56 seconds ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 2 minutes ago
- › FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made... 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Xelento! 3 minutes ago
- › Confused about USB DACs and need a recommendation. 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 4 minutes ago
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by Takeanidea
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Sorensiim
- › Noble Audio Katana by cvbcbcmv
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear