- 16,358 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Hello and thanks for getting to my review! Firstly, need to tell you that this DAC/headamp has no battery inside, so those needing something to listen while jogging or walking might need to...
SPECS: Driver Type 8mm Dynamic Plug Type 3.5mm Gold-plated Cord Length 1.3m Y Frequency Response 12 Hz – 22...
1MORE Capsule Dual-Driver In-Ear Headphones Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to 1MORE UK for the review sample. Full review...
Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Massdrop for the loaner. Full review...
I was an early adopter of the original hifiman he-1000 (part of the original beta group). At the end of the beta period I elected to keep the product and it was replaced with the newest and latest...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 567post #8491 of 3732710/18/12 at 10:28amThread StarterOh, well, I only liked it for bass neutral cans like the PC360, Q701, HD598.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #8492 of 3732710/18/12 at 10:30amQuote:Originally Posted by chicolom
In my experience the mixamp's boost is one that leans towards affecting the low mids. This may be a sloppier bass boost then some tighter ones that boost more specific lows with stronger punch/slam, but a broader boomier bass boost does sometimes give off a home-theatery bass effect. Or at least it can make the overall sound fuller at the expense of a bit looser sounding low end. The bass boost on the DSS is tighter and affects fewer frequencies with stronger slam, but doesn't fill out the sound much.
To this end, the DSS2 has several different levels of bass boost (to go along with combinations of treble/mid boosts). It worked really well on the HD555, cans that desperately needed that low end help. Haven't played with it too much on the DT 990 though. The "flat" setting is all you need with these lively cans.post #8493 of 3732710/18/12 at 10:36amThread Starterpost #8494 of 3732710/18/12 at 10:38ampost #8495 of 3732710/18/12 at 10:43amThread StarterTrust me, for the power it has... there is absolutely no reason to feel like I need an upgrade. This is the most expensive Audio piece I have decided to go with. I trust Audio-GD's stuff. It was between this and the Compass-2, but I felt that this would definitely not make me wanna upgrade, while the Compass-2 was more for tweakers.
Gonna have to pair it up with the ODAC to keep my sanity. Once it's all set, I'll sell the E17.post #8496 of 3732710/18/12 at 11:18am
That's a $500 DAC/amp there...and to think that $500 is barely enough for a decent electrostatic amp (SRM-T1 might be doable, SRM-1/Mk2 Pro is more likely with that budget), no DAC included.
Head-Fi can really skew one's perceptions on prices for audio gear...post #8497 of 3732710/18/12 at 11:19amThread StarterThat's actually an amp only (SA-31). The Compass 2 is indeed a DAC/AMP though.
You think the SA-31 can power Stax? Probably not. Lol.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 10/18/12 at 11:20ampost #8498 of 3732710/18/12 at 12:39pmpost #8499 of 3732710/18/12 at 1:34pmpost #8500 of 3732710/18/12 at 5:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
Trust me, for the power it has... there is absolutely no reason to feel like I need an upgrade. This is the most expensive Audio piece I have decided to go with. I trust Audio-GD's stuff. It was between this and the Compass-2, but I felt that this would definitely not make me wanna upgrade, while the Compass-2 was more for tweakers.
Gonna have to pair it up with the ODAC to keep my sanity. Once it's all set, I'll sell the E17.
Hurr gu Bah?! Ordered? Isn't it a $500 amp? Lol I hope it is amazing for you. Poor foster E90K and E17, heh. I remember you thought you might need the portable DAC of the E17, is that no longer the case?
Edited by Evshrug - 10/18/12 at 6:54pmpost #8501 of 3732710/18/12 at 5:17pmpost #8502 of 3732710/18/12 at 5:38pmpost #8503 of 3732710/18/12 at 6:53pmThread Starterpost #8504 of 3732710/18/12 at 6:58pmThe FiiO E19 (Everest) is going to be a portable DAC/amp with about the same power as the E90K (and E9). Sounds interesting. I wonder if that means the E12 will also be about as powerful as the E90k...post #8505 of 3732710/18/12 at 7:00pmThread StarterWhat can be improved upon from the ODAC which is said to sound the same as the Benchmark DAC 1? That's a helluva claim. That and I honestly couldn't tell between the E17, NFB 5 DACs. They sounded the exact same to me.Quote:Originally Posted by evshrug
I remember you thought you might need the portable DAC of the E17, is that no longer the case?
I needed the portable amp because I was moving from my bedroom to my PC setup in the living. I no longer need that as I moved my PC setup to my room. Everything will be connected directly to the SA-31. It has a lot of analog inputs.
1. ODAC (PC)
2. Mixamp (game systems)
3. 3DS/Vita (have to buy a long 3.5 to rca cable, so I can play from my bed)
I'm pretty covered.
I'll probably keep the E17 for now while I recuperate some of this cost, then change to the ODAC.
$631.40 after shipping and remote for the SA-31.
OUCH. My second D7000 was about $610. Yup. The SA.31 has hurt my wallet more than anything. Good thing Paypal has Bill Me Later.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones 43 seconds ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 49 seconds ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 52 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 5 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 9 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 9 minutes ago
- › Need some Help regarding RCA Cables. 9 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 9 minutes ago
- › A very simple single-ended parafeed design 10 minutes ago
- › Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier 11 minutes ago
- › Roland Mobile UA UA-M10 USB Audio Interface by raoultrifan
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by NA Blur
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by mark2410
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphone by MattTCG
- › Bluedio V (Victory) Pro Patented PPS12 Drivers Wireless Bluetooth... by mark2410
- › Effect Audio - Thor Silver II by Falconlistener
- › Edifier R2000DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field... by ryanjsoo
- › Yamaha MusicCast WX-010 Wireless Speaker (White) by mark2410
- › Questyle Q192 DAC with Headphone Amplifier silver by noobandroid
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear