or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 558

post #8356 of 37293
Thread Starter 
I painted the grills on my AD700. Looked nice in matte black, but I gotta say, I missed the purple. It grew on me. biggrin.gif

Can't wait to get the 990/600 in my hands. I have a feeling in the end, I'm gonna prefer the 250ohm though. Not because they're better, but because they have SOMETHING that I just love. The mids might have a slight recession in direct comparison, but I love their sound.

I'd be completely happy with any DT990 though. They are all awesome to me. ph34r.gif

As for those comments about me annoying or whatever, sorry if I'm being a little too blunt for you guys. I'm not one to sugarcoat anything. I have nothing but absolute respect and adoration for Nameless, and just because I really don't like CMSS3D doesn't mean it wouldn't be a viable option for other people. I just can't PERSONALLY recommend it based on my OWN preferences. My opinion is just that, my own. Just as Nameless doesn't care for the Recon3D's THX Tru Studio, which I somewhat liked, though still not enough to get my full recommendation. Some of you are putting way too much stock in what I say. I have stated I'm no pro (and I have mentioned this on the first post), and I can only give advice on what I personally like/dislike.

Like I love the DT990. Lots of people won't. The treble is very sparkly, and will bother a lot of people. I don't think the AD700 has any bass worth mentioning. You might think so, good for you. However, based on all the headphones I have tested (even ones not mentioned here that weren't bassy), the AD700 came out as the weakest bass of all headphones I have ever used in my life. You call it tight, I call it, non-existent. You're welcome to disagree.

Purple mentioned low ohms in relation to a headphone being easy or hard to drive because of it. I mentioned that it's more than just that, and that people shouldn't look at ohm rating and jump to conclusions. He did mention it for two easy to drive headphones, but other people can misconstrue that as being an indicator for a headphone being easy or hard to drive, when it's only part of the equation.

I understand that people are taking my opinions into consideration, but my opinion is just ONE opinion. I beg for people to do their homework before taking the plunge on anything I mention on this thread.

Don't know what else there is to say. If you don't like the way I post, you're welcome to ignore me, I'm not the only one who posts here that can help you. I'm not a politician with the most eloquent speech most of the time. If something sucks to me, I'll say it does, and vice-versa. It's just one average consumer's opinion.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 10/14/12 at 4:46pm
post #8357 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

 

Optical/Toslink S/PDIF outputs are rather common features on sound cards. Most of them have them built right in, no need for adapters or anything.

 

With X-Fi cards, if you turn "Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output" on, you get everything that would normally output over two analog channels through S/PDIF as well. Also, if you'd prefer to use a home theater speaker system, you can also use Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect to output a 5.1 signal.

nah I just need a card as I only have mobo sound atm 

post #8358 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

nah I just need a card as I only have mobo sound atm 

 

Sorry I missed your earlier posts, could you bring me up to speed? You want a dedicated sound card that has optical out--why?

post #8359 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMellow View Post

I should change my name to Clueless, since 80% of the people in here are like me and call themselves noob, neewbie, etc. This is an interesting twist in MLE's review, but just bolsters my decision to now get the AD700 cans. I HATE PURPLE, so they better be good when I get them. Does anybody know how to change the color??


I'm a bit surprised nobody mentioned the Dark Knight AD700 yet.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/484176/dark-knight-ad700-gaming-mod-lots-of-pics

post #8360 of 37293

In the end, I found that the AD700 was pretty much exactly what everyone said it was: huge, comfortable, vast soundstage, really brings out the positional cues in binaural mixes...and a lack of bass presence, especially sub-bass.

 

Let me put it this way: a typical Stax Lambda-series headphone has more bass presence, and they're considered bright! The bass also stays tight when you EQ it up, if you want more presence (especially in the deep sub-bass); the AD700 seemed to muddy things up a bit when I did that, like the drivers couldn't stay controlled.

 

That said, if you like the AD700 and don't mind pleather/leather pads, you'd probably love Stax (maybe the Koss ESP/950 too) if you can bring yourself to spend $300+ on headphones. Lambdas are generally AD700s on super-steroids in terms of sound presentation, in my experience.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post
As for those comments about me annoying or whatever, sorry if I'm being a little too blunt for you guys. I'm not one to sugarcoat anything. I have nothing but absolute respect and adoration for Nameless, and just because I really don't like CMSS3D doesn't mean it wouldn't be a viable option for other people. I just can't PERSONALLY recommend it based on my OWN preferences. My opinion is just that, my own. Just as Nameless doesn't care for the Recon3D's THX Tru Studio, which I somewhat liked, though still not enough to get my full recommendation. Some of you are putting way too much stock in what I say. I have stated I'm no pro (and I have mentioned this on the first post), and I can only give advice on what I personally like/dislike.
Like I love the DT990. Lots of people won't. The treble is very sparkly, and will bother a lot of people. I don't think the AD700 has any bass worth mentioning. You might think so, good for you. However, based on all the headphones I have tested (even ones not mentioned here that weren't bassy), the AD700 came out as the weakest bass of all headphones I have ever used in my life. You call it tight, I call it, non-existent. You're welcome to disagree.
Purple mentioned low ohms in relation to a headphone being easy or hard to drive because of it. I mentioned that it's more than just that, and that people shouldn't look at ohm rating and jump to conclusions. He did mention it for two easy to drive headphones, but other people can misconstrue that as being an indicator for a headphone being easy or hard to drive, when it's only part of the equation.
I understand that people are taking my opinions into consideration, but my opinion is just ONE opinion. I beg for people to do their homework before taking the plunge on anything I mention on this thread.
Don't know what else there is to say. If you don't like the way I post, you're welcome to ignore me, I'm not the only one who posts here that can help you. I'm not a politician with the most eloquent speech most of the time. If something sucks to me, I'll say it does, and vice-versa. It's just one average consumer's opinion.

 

I'm glad we can at least understand each other's viewpoints, even if we don't always agree.

 

The thing about audio is that it's inherently very subjective, in no small part due to the fact that we all have unique HRTFs (sometimes deviated enough from the norm to make things like CMSS-3D Headphone, Dolby Headphone, or a typical binaural dummy head recording not work as intended), and even our ears have different frequency responses/sensitivities. (I started to freak out a bit when I thought my headphones were imbalanced around 5000 Hz and 35 Hz toward the right driver, but then it dawned on me after trying multiple headphones to the same effect that my left ear just isn't as sensitive to those frequencies as my right ear.) Also, there are different head sizes, different sensitivities on and around the ears, and whatnot that affect how comfortable people find a given headphone.

 

In other words, we all hear differently. This is why we have such wildly different opinions on the same audio products.

 

Reviews, impressions, and opinions can help people get an idea of what to expect, but taking it all as divine gospel can very easily lead to disappointment, especially if you don't truly know your own preferences compared to the reviewer's preferences.

 

In the end, it's your ears that will have to make the judgment call, not someone else's review. You may not know what is truly pleasing to your ears until after you've been through a few headphones (which is where the Head-Fi motto really kicks into your wallet), but eventually you'll find it. And at that point, you'll also know whether someone's opinions are likely to line up with your own due to personal preferences.

post #8361 of 37293
Thread Starter 
What the hell? Amazon has the DT990/600 NEW now for $263 today. I bought them LIKE NEW for $270 (I know, trust me, I KNOW, lol). I should probably buy them new before they jump in price, and return the used ones...sigh. This will have a warranty.

They better not spike up in price by the time I get the ones on Wednesday, as I wanna make sure it's what I want vs the 250ohm. If it is, I'll get them new.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 10/15/12 at 12:53am
post #8362 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

What the hell? Amazon has the DT990/600 NEW now for $263 today. I bought them LIKE NEW for $270 (I know, trust me, I KNOW, lol). I should probably buy them new before they jump in price, and return the used ones...sigh. This will have a warranty.
They better not spike up in price by the time I get the ones on Wednesday, as I wanna make sure it's what I want vs the 250ohm. If it is, I'll get them new.


I'm still debating if I want to get the DT 990 Pro 250 or the Byerdyanimc Custom One Pro, my needs are purely bass head <3 but I do want some detailand clarity for my DnB [not so much other EDM genres]

post #8363 of 37293
Thread Starter 
I'd go with the DT990 Pro. You get basshead plus clarity. If the bass hadn't bothered me, I probably would have stayed with those. The price is lovely too.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 10/15/12 at 7:13am
post #8364 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I'd go with the DT990 Pro. You get basshead plus clarity. If the bass hadn't bothered me, I probably would have stayed with those. The price is lovely too.


Still don't know why the bass bothers you, you never told me what you meant by wooly <3

 

Also I like your 3 different avatars today xD

post #8365 of 37293
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post


Still don't know why the bass bothers you, you never told me what you meant by wooly <3

Also I like your 3 different avatars today xD

Lol, I can't decide which I want to put on. biggrin.gif

Woolly
Quote:
marked by boisterous roughness or lack of order or restraint

Basically unrestrained, though maybe woolly is a bit harsh of a word. The DT770 Pro 80 is woolly. The DT990 pro is just thunderous in impact. I mentioned before that it has less than the Pro 900, yet the Pro 900 didn't 'bite' my ears as hard. Tough to explain. I believe it's more of a personal issue than an issue others would have. There were times where even the Q701 had a bite in it's bass that bothered me. The DT990 pro just bit all the time though. It may have been the pair I got. I wouldn't expect it to be that much different from the Premium 250ohm if clamp is all that's different. I can press the DT990 premium 250 up to my head and it wouldn't bother me.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 10/15/12 at 8:35am
post #8366 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post


I'm a bit surprised nobody mentioned the Dark Knight AD700 yet.

dark knight ad700 – gaming mod

They do indeed look slick, although I wish the guy who did the mod had taken a picture showing less the pads and more the great paint work he did on the plastic housing. Like someone said, it DOES look similar to the stock AD500... though the whole mic housing, better drivers than the AD500, and upgraded cabling in his mod would surely be an overall better headphone.
post #8367 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


Lol, I can't decide which I want to put on. biggrin.gif

 The DT990 pro is just thunderous in impact. I mentioned before that it has less than the Pro 900, yet the Pro 900 didn't 'bite' my ears as hard. 

mmm sounds like just the kind of bass I want! The Xb 700 [Soon to be XB1000] is warm, the Dt 880 is detalied with good impact and the Dt 990 BITES <3 sounds awesome saucy!

 

Also at the Dark Knight Mod... dude should just have built his own cans e.e

post #8368 of 37293
Lol he might've gone on to do so by now. With a driver transplant. It was pretty cool that he went to that effort and completed the project though.
post #8369 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Lol he might've gone on to do so by now. With a driver transplant. It was pretty cool that he went to that effort and completed the project though.

Ofc, it did look nice! 

post #8370 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

 I beg for people to do their homework before taking the plunge on anything I mention on this thread.
Don't know what else there is to say. If you don't like the way I post, you're welcome to ignore me, I'm not the only one who posts here that can help you. I'm not a politician with the most eloquent speech most of the time. If something sucks to me, I'll say it does, and vice-versa. It's just one average consumer's opinion.

+1 +1

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)