or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 53

post #781 of 37332

Hey MLE and others,

Any thoughts on how the dt990 32ohm will sound good when connected directly into an ipod/laptop without an external amp (E7, E9, etc).  If I needed to, I may buy the E5 (because it’s inexpensive) when using my ipod/laptop to help drive the dt990 although not sure if this would make any difference.  My biggest hesitation though is getting phones that will require an E7/E9 amp.  Thanks again. 

PS. I admit, I haven't seen the hd598s in person but I'm wondering how the color would look after a years of use/abuse after being placed on desk/counters/head, etc.  I imagine a nasty mixture of cream and black, which would not be readily seen on the headphones with a black/dark headband.

post #782 of 37332


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist323 View Post

Hey MLE and others,

Any thoughts on how the dt990 32ohm will sound good when connected directly into an ipod/laptop without an external amp (E7, E9, etc).  If I needed to, I may buy the E5 (because it’s inexpensive) when using my ipod/laptop to help drive the dt990 although not sure if this would make any difference.  My biggest hesitation though is getting phones that will require an E7/E9 amp.  Thanks again. 

PS. I admit, I haven't seen the hd598s in person but I'm wondering how the color would look after a years of use/abuse after being placed on desk/counters/head, etc.  I imagine a nasty mixture of cream and black, which would not be readily seen on the headphones with a black/dark headband.


I'm getting my DT990/32 in the mail tomorrow so impressions will follow.  MLE, I'll be sure to include how it performs with the Mixamp alone - that includes with voice.

 


Edited by boomer12 - 3/16/11 at 11:20pm
post #783 of 37332

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer12View Post


I'm getting my DT990/32 in the mail tomorrow so impressions will follow.  MLE, I'll be sure to include how it performs with the Mixamp alone.

 


Sweet!  I'll be looking forward to your comments since these are the headphones I'm leaning towards getting.  By the way, where did you buy them from?  You know of any deals?  Thanks
 

 


Edited by chemist323 - 3/16/11 at 11:23pm
post #784 of 37332


 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Styles View Post
 

 

I think Ill scoop some PC360's soon so I can do a good compare of the Beyer MMX 300 to them side by side.

 

Nice!

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQa3wgMAVJQQ8TkZxGoIt83bIPHMxyv4xjY2tHiKEoQmRI84UlLNg

 

 

post #785 of 37332

Mad Lust Envy, you need to try the the dynamat and pad mods as described here to your CAL if you still own them. And do the comparison again.

 

Not much of a gamer myself, but I recently found out about iz3d and some free FPS games like HL2 Deathmatch and F.E.A.R Combat, etc.

 

Great thread for a great read!


Edited by kingpage - 3/17/11 at 1:18am
post #786 of 37332

Hi!

 

well I have my sennheiser pc360 now, I didn't try the mic yet, but it is really different from the hd555/595.

The bass seems more defined and the treble is really how I like it, it is sharp, with the right amount of sparkle, not like the dt990 violence or the hd600 smoothness. 

The mids seem a bit recessed, but with this treble, gaming will be great!

I really recommend it for who has the money...! if not get yourself a hd555 and mod it!


Edited by mcnoiserdc - 3/17/11 at 10:05am
post #787 of 37332
Thread Starter 

I find the mids not to be recessed. They're just not emphasized. The PC360 is about as flat as I've personally heard from a headphone, more than DT880 (mid recessed because of slight v curve), K701 (rising freq, mid and treble emphasized), HD598 (slight upside down U, mid emphasized, slightly more treble than bass). The HD555/595 may be mid emphasized in comparison to the PC360. On the PC360 nothing has any major emphasis, which is why it's so good for gaming. Nothing is lost, nothing is gained. It isn't the most exciting headphone (but the Mixamp 5.8's bass boost works well with the PC360 for those looking for single player immersion, just enough bass for me not to need any more, and it's quality bass), but it doesn't have any glaring problems either.


Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/17/11 at 12:20pm
post #788 of 37332

Well it seems a bit recessed to me, may be my idea of balance is not the same as yours, but I have experienced neutral headphones like the sennheiser hd600, audio technica ck10, and the mids on the pc360 didn't seem as forward as on those at least.

Anyway what I really want to show is that it has good bass quality, and also sparkly treble which is great for gaming in my opinion, as it makes it fun and competitive.

 

This is really the THING for gaming when off-budget.

 

At least we share this last opinion.

post #789 of 37332

OK guys, my first 10 minute impressions of the DT990/32.  Keep in mind that I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, just a hardcore gamer.

 

First off, the Mixamp has no trouble powering them. The Shotgun Pistol in Killzone 3 sounded immaculate with the master volume set to about 10-11 o' clock and game/voice set to about 1 o' clock.  Bass is deep and sounds are clear.  Also for you competitive players out there, I had no trouble attaching a Labtec boom mic to the left side with a velcro square - hopefully it holds (looking good so far). 

 

Oh, and they seemed to work fine with my computer unamped.  Just had to turn the volume up a bit higher than I did with my Astro A30s - maybe 5 or so points.

 

Great cans, I recommend them.  Maybe I'll post some more thoughts down the road.

 

 


Edited by boomer12 - 3/17/11 at 3:58pm
post #790 of 37332

Can you take a picture?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer12 View Post

OK guys, my first 10 minute impressions of the DT990/32.  Keep in mind that I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, just a hardcore gamer.

 

First off, the Mixamp has no trouble powering them. The Shotgun Pistol in Killzone 3 sounded immaculate with the master volume set to about 10-11 o' clock and game/voice set to about 1 o' clock.  Bass is deep and sounds are clear.  Also for you competitive players out there, I had no trouble attaching a Labtec boom mic to the left side with a velcro square - hopefully it holds (looking good so far). 

 

Oh, and they seemed to work fine with my computer unamped.  Just had to turn the volume up a bit higher than I did with my Astro A30s - maybe 5 or so points.

 

Great cans, I recommend them.  Maybe I'll post some more thoughts down the road.

 

 



 

post #791 of 37332

IMG_0130.JPG

 

IMG_0131.JPG

 

Still holding great.  The velcro square attached to the headphones doesn't move at all.


Edited by boomer12 - 3/17/11 at 5:08pm
post #792 of 37332
Thread Starter 
Makes me really feel like getting the 32ohms. How's positional awareness, treble, etc?

Okay, I spent the better part of yesterday testing out something...

Mass Effect 2 on PS3. This game is one of my fave games to testing out sound placement with my headphones. There's plenty of sounds in. The game that you can easily pinpoint around you with Dolby Headphone and a good pair of cans.

So I decided to test out the game directly out of the PS3's composite (which has the RCA audio hookups for direct line out) into my E9, to all my headphones for STEREO gaming. I wanted to see how close that stereo sound was to the Mixamp without virtual surround on. Positional-wise, it waas the same as the Mixamp with DH off. I kept playing anyway to see how accurate stereo sound placement was.

Headphone gaming in stereo is playable, but its seriously like all sounds are place in almost a straight line mostly in front of you. There is no rear depth to speak of. It was a far cry from the amazing 360 soundfield Dolby Headphone places you in. I'm apalled that some people actually think stereo headphone gaming is accurate compared to DH gaming. Its night and day really. With my PC360, it sounded so damn easy to pinpoint sounds around me, especially the tough ones behind me. In stereo, I tried so hard to adjust to how rear sound placement sounds like and it was impossible. So tbh, unless you're deaf or something, there's no comparison. Get Dolby Headphone for gaming and use it for a few days and go back to stereo and tell me sound placement is even remotely close to comparable.
post #793 of 37332


thanks for posting your findings. 

-how is the treble?  I've ready that it can be pretty harsh/piercing. 

-What other headphones have you tried and how do these compare? 

Thanks again.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer12 View Post

OK guys, my first 10 minute impressions of the DT990/32.  Keep in mind that I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, just a hardcore gamer.

 

First off, the Mixamp has no trouble powering them. The Shotgun Pistol in Killzone 3 sounded immaculate with the master volume set to about 10-11 o' clock and game/voice set to about 1 o' clock.  Bass is deep and sounds are clear.  Also for you competitive players out there, I had no trouble attaching a Labtec boom mic to the left side with a velcro square - hopefully it holds (looking good so far). 

 

Oh, and they seemed to work fine with my computer unamped.  Just had to turn the volume up a bit higher than I did with my Astro A30s - maybe 5 or so points.

 

Great cans, I recommend them.  Maybe I'll post some more thoughts down the road.

 

 



 

post #794 of 37332

piercing treble irritates me for music, but for gaming, I love it. 

post #795 of 37332



is it bad enough that you would refuse to use it for music? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnoiserdc View Post

piercing treble irritates me for music, but for gaming, I love it. 



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)