or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 469

post #7021 of 37348
Thread Starter 
Nothing less than the E11. The E10 is usb only, so that won't work.
post #7022 of 37348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrniceguy633 View Post

So for use with a Mic the do require another amp huh? Well, will any one do? E10, e11?

 

Will what require an amp?  Which headphone are you talking about?

 

I assume HE-400...


Edited by chicolom - 8/21/12 at 11:13pm
post #7023 of 37348
Thread Starter 
double post...
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/21/12 at 11:16pm
post #7024 of 37348
Thread Starter 
He's probably referring to my HE-400 listing... I think.

In any case, the DT990/32 arrives today. Too bad I have to wait for the E17 which I bought from Micca-store, and may not be here until next week. I'm excited on being able to tone down the DT990 treble, which should make them REALLY awesome. I'm pretty excited to see just how 'inferior' they are to the 600ohm. I don't expect a big enough difference, but we'll see.

edit: Thought I hit edit. Wish I could delete posts...
post #7025 of 37348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

He's probably referring to my HE-400 listing... I think.
In any case, the DT990/32 arrives today. Too bad I have to wait for the E17 which I bought from Micca-store, and may not be here until next week. I'm excited on being able to tone down the DT990 treble, which should make them REALLY awesome. I'm pretty excited to see just how 'inferior' they are to the 600ohm. I don't expect a big enough difference, but we'll see.

 

MLE, you shouldn't buy headphones with the intention of EQing them - if you have to EQ them they're not the right pair of headphones for you. 

 

Seriously though, E17 + DT990 sounds like a nice combo.  Wish there was a Dolby Headphone desktop-amp-class device with some good EQ.  You could get a lot of headphones sounding good for both fun and competitive with something like that. 

 

 

FiiO, mass market your own "Gaming Headphone Amp".  Put the display and EQ of the E17 on the E9, and insert some Dolby Headphone.  Feel free to add some chat output/input + mixing too wink.gif.

post #7026 of 37348
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

MLE, you shouldn't buy headphones with the intention of EQing them - if you have to EQ them they're not the right pair of headphones for you. 

Seriously though, E17 + DT990 sounds like a nice combo.  Wish there was a Dolby Headphone desktop-amp-class device with some good EQ.  You could get a lot of headphones sounding good for both fun and competitive with something like that. 

Yeah a slight bass boost is all the Q701 needs to be perfect for me.
Quote:
FiiO, mass market your own "Gaming Headphone Amp".  Put the display and EQ of the E17 on the E9, and insert some Dolby Headphone.  Feel free to add some chat output/input + mixing too wink.gif .

I'd buy it!
post #7027 of 37348

post #7028 of 37348
Thread Starter 
No, seriously. $300-400... I'd get it. ph34r.gif
post #7029 of 37348

HI, I just found your site and this thread and it seems to be exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

 

I've owned two sets of Trittons axpros and have had enough. I'm no longer convinced by their durability and quality. I play COD on the PS3 and need a headset/headphone in order not to wake my family. The more competitive ones suit my needs best. I seldom listen to music or films with headphones and almost always play online multiplayer matches so the pinpointing and directional awareness of enemies is what I crave the most.

 

I'm opting for the astro mixiamp and either the PC360s or the AD700. From what I read the K701 would be the better option, but the price is a bit of a factor with them. The reason I'm struggling making a decision is because 2 of my friends SWEAR by the Astro headsets. One has the A30 the other has the wireless A40 and he describes it as 'perfect for gaming'.

 

The OP stated quiet clearly what he thought of A40s, but that was clearly some years ago. How do any of the above options compare too the 2012 A40s or even A50s? I do use a mic for gaming. But not all the time. So if I had to get clip on mic or something, that wouldn't bother me too much.

post #7030 of 37348
Quote:
Originally Posted by npf1107 View Post

HI, I just found your site and this thread and it seems to be exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

 

I've owned two sets of Trittons axpros and have had enough. I'm no longer convinced by their durability and quality. I play COD on the PS3 and need a headset/headphone in order not to wake my family. The more competitive ones suit my needs best. I seldom listen to music or films with headphones and almost always play online multiplayer matches so the pinpointing and directional awareness of enemies is what I crave the most.

 

I'm opting for the astro mixiamp and either the PC360s or the AD700. From what I read the K701 would be the better option, but the price is a bit of a factor with them. The reason I'm struggling making a decision is because 2 of my friends SWEAR by the Astro headsets. One has the A30 the other has the wireless A40 and he describes it as 'perfect for gaming'.

 

The OP stated quiet clearly what he thought of A40s, but that was clearly some years ago. How do any of the above options compare too the 2012 A40s or even A50s? I do use a mic for gaming. But not all the time. So if I had to get clip on mic or something, that wouldn't bother me too much.

There's a new Sony Wireless headset coming out in October:

 

http://www.amazon.com/wireless-stereo-headset-PlayStation-3-63089006306200/dp/B0087OZ5FG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345642010&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+pulse

 

I'm think of snatching up two pairs for me and my brother. For $150, how bad could they be?

post #7031 of 37348
Quote:
Originally Posted by npf1107 View Post

HI, I just found your site and this thread and it seems to be exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

 

I've owned two sets of Trittons axpros and have had enough. I'm no longer convinced by their durability and quality. I play COD on the PS3 and need a headset/headphone in order not to wake my family. The more competitive ones suit my needs best. I seldom listen to music or films with headphones and almost always play online multiplayer matches so the pinpointing and directional awareness of enemies is what I crave the most.

 

I'm opting for the astro mixiamp and either the PC360s or the AD700. From what I read the K701 would be the better option, but the price is a bit of a factor with them. The reason I'm struggling making a decision is because 2 of my friends SWEAR by the Astro headsets. One has the A30 the other has the wireless A40 and he describes it as 'perfect for gaming'.

 

The OP stated quiet clearly what he thought of A40s, but that was clearly some years ago. How do any of the above options compare too the 2012 A40s or even A50s? I do use a mic for gaming. But not all the time. So if I had to get clip on mic or something, that wouldn't bother me too much.

With respect, maybe your 2 friends haven't heard any of the headphones discussed here. So, they may swear by the Astro headsets--but their points of comparison might be lower.

 

Also worth remembering: a big part of what makes Astro systems so good for gaming is the MixAmp. The basic point made by MLE (and most everyone in this thread) is that the MixAmp takes any regular headphone and turns it into a virtual surround sound machine; if the Astro headsets themselves are mediocre, then think how much better the MixAmp could do better headphones/headsets?

 

Where did you read the K701 is "the better option"? Have you read about the Q701?

 

One last thing: you're gaming on PS3, and I'm unfamiliar with the chat functionality on it. Do some reading up on that before jumping into anything mmkay? Don't want awesome headphones but no mic option.

post #7032 of 37348
Quote:

With respect, maybe your 2 friends haven't heard any of the headphones discussed here. So, they may swear by the Astro headsets--but their points of comparison might be lower.

I'm positive they haven't heard any of the headphones here let alone tried them.

 

Quote:

Where did you read the K701 is "the better option"? Have you read about the Q701?

 

In the original post it states that the K701 is probably the better option for competitive gaming, after re-reading I see your point about the Q701 as being generally the better set overall. For some reason they seem to be really expensive here. $369 from Amazon.de and only $249 from Amazon.com. Don't they dome from Austria? I live in Germany, go figure.

 

I'll have to check on the clip on mic for the PS3, I don't think it should be a problem if I get a USB mic as that's basically how the Trittons are setup. But I'll investigate that anyway.

 

If I, LIS am mostly playing FPS on the PS3. Then maybe the PC360's would be my best bet?

post #7033 of 37348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C View Post

With respect, maybe your 2 friends haven't heard any of the headphones discussed here. So, they may swear by the Astro headsets--but their points of comparison might be lower.

Also worth remembering: a big part of what makes Astro systems so good for gaming is the MixAmp. The basic point made by MLE (and most everyone in this thread) is that the MixAmp takes any regular headphone and turns it into a virtual surround sound machine; if the Astro headsets themselves are mediocre, then think how much better the MixAmp could do better headphones/headsets?

Where did you read the K701 is "the better option"? Have you read about the Q701?

One last thing: you're gaming on PS3, and I'm unfamiliar with the chat functionality on it. Do some reading up on that before jumping into anything mmkay? Don't want awesome headphones but no mic option.

Yeah, the Skullcandy/Astro A30/A40/A50 headphones may be better than most $60 closed headphones, but certainly Mad Lust Envy has a broader experience than the two friends.

Also I understand where it says K701 is the strongest competitive headphone... MLE said it on the first post! It also has the highest competitive score on the round-up, because it has insane detail and the bass is so tightly controlled and non-dominant that footsteps and positional cues are easy to pick up amongst the rest of the noise, and because the soundscape is so wide and directional cues are distinct. Now, if I'd rather have the Q701 because I love me some music & movies too, but it's a personal preference.

It's kind of a shame MLE doesn't feel like testing headphones that would be a downgrade (though he might do a review if someone sent it to him for free?), but I suspect that the other AKG's further down their lineup would still be strong contenders. I would like to hear the AKG K242 and K272 headphones, but I have no justification to own them alongside my other headphones. I also feel good that I'll be able to sell my AD700's easily since the Q701s took their place, but I intend to keep them until I can do a comparison write-up. I'll probably sell them with a "gaming package" of the adapters and E5 amp I used to connect the AD700 with my Xbox. Good use for my spare mic (I have 4 now) too.
post #7034 of 37348
Argh, I started typing my reply to the post before this during a break at work, so I missed this post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by npf1107 View Post

I'm positive they haven't heard any of the headphones here let alone tried them.

In the original post it states that the K701 is probably the better option for competitive gaming, after re-reading I see your point about the Q701 as being generally the better set overall. For some reason they seem to be really expensive here. $369 from Amazon.de and only $249 from Amazon.com. Don't they come from Austria? I live in Germany, go figure.

I'll have to check on the clip on mic for the PS3, I don't think it should be a problem if I get a USB mic as that's basically how the Trittons are setup. But I'll investigate that anyway.

If I, LIS am mostly playing FPS on the PS3. Then maybe the PC360's would be my best bet?

Even if you get the PC360, you'd still need the USB mic adapter. Does the Mixamp come with one? I know Astro makes one, and once you have a Mixamp (or similar surround processor) fully hooked up, you can plug your mic or headset into the Mixamp.

I have no idea why they cost more in Europe, maybe it's a tax thing? Because the US $ isn't worth as much as the € right now, I believe. Or maybe they sell more in the US, so the economy of scale helps keep the price down.

Good luck, and sorry about your wallet wink.gif
post #7035 of 37348
Thread Starter 
I just got my DT990/32 in...

All I can say is that this is going to be VERY interesting...

First impression: Holy hell...I'm in love. First... holding it in my hands.... it feels like I'm holding a piece of paper next to the HE-400. What a difference in weight. The DT990 LOOKS like it should be heavy, yet... it's stupid light. I forgot how light they were. The velours.... MAN, the velours. Still the best pads I haver ever felt on my head. SOOOO soft.

The bass... oh yeah... That's the bass I remember. Fun, doesn't give me headaches, and decays quickly. It might linger just a hair bit longer than the 600ohm, but it's faster, and snappier than the HE-400. It doesn't have the weight and natural fullness of the HE-400's bass, but it's definitely more emphasized relative to the mids and treble. I still can't believe how good the quality and quality the bass is for an open can. Ironically, I feel the HE400 has more bass presence overall, but the impact definitely goes to the DT990.

The mids are pushed back, just like they are on all DT990s. They still sound clear, and due to the quickness of the bass, it's not muffled by it. Those looking for V-shaped cans that won't trample over the mids like typical basshead cans, look here.

The treble. Here's the top concern on DT990s, especially non-600ohm ones. Let me report you that, just as I suspected... the concerns are unwarranted. The treble to ME actually sounds less edgy than the 600ohm. Might be because my NFB5 loves low impedance cans (pushing around 3 watts at 32ohm). They are definitely still edgy, and prominent, but to me, it sounds more like the DT880's treble, and less than the 990's. I'm listening right now to the usual suspect files, and moderately loud. The treble hasn't bothered me one time, which I can't say for the 600ohm. I believe it's due to the fuller, lingering bass in addition to the treble not being as spiky as I remember of the other ones. Make no mistake, the treble is still prominent, but less grating to me.

The clarity and body isn't up to the HE-400 (it sure as hell better not be), but for the $197 I spent for a Like New used one... this one is... simply amazing.

Hold on to your hats, but this may just be the one I recommend for fun in the $200 range.

This is my FOURTH DT990, so I'm well acquainted with their sound, and I'm here to tell you that the difference between the 32ohm and 600ohm isn't large. In fact, I'd say the 32ohm is better behaved from what I am hearing, IMHO. The 600ohm is slightly clearer, for sure, but it's not a night and day difference. That clarity to me is caused by the faster bass, and a stronger perceived treble response.

Oh yes, as I suspected, the 32ohm DT990 is still hard to drive. I have to set my NFB5 to high gain, though it requires less on the knob than the HE400.

Oh yes, I'm saddened that my DT990 doesn't have the blue alluring that comes with brand new 32ohm DT990s. I wanted BLUE! Blue HE400, Blue DT990s. biggrin.gif

The plug still says 32ohm, as does the box.

I'm actually quite annoyed by the fact that people are dismissing the 32 and 250ohm because the 600ohm is "better". Happy to report that these people with less than top tier amping would've been happier with the 32ohm. Easily. You get 95% the same performance, easier amping requirements, and a less polarizing sound. The soundstage isn't as huge as the 600ohm, but still quite big. Bigger, and with better depth.

The little I've heard so far, I must say I prefer the DT990/32 than the Pro 900. The Pro 900s is quite a bit stronger in bass, S-logic is iffy, and the soundstage is a LOT smaller.

Oh yes, the HE400 leaks in/out quite a bit more than the 990s.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/22/12 at 4:10pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)