or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 47

post #691 of 37455

Tried the HD-650 today for gaming. Definitely not as good as the HD-598 for gaming. I can say that it might be better for movies at least. As long as you're watching an action movie with lots of car chases and explosions! Luckily my HD-650 is not the dark and veiled version. It's actually kind of bright. First difference is that the soundstage on the HD-598 to me feels much larger. The mids and all those tiny details are more forward on the HD-598. Vocals in New Vegas seem a tad more "shouty" on the HD-598 compared to the HD-650. Not really, but very slightly. I shouldn't even call them that.

 

I felt like that for gaming the HD-650 has too much bass. For music, I didn't feel this way at all EVER. The soundstage of the HD-650 even feels much smaller than my ATH-AD2000 for sure.

 

I really like the HD-650 for music, but not 100% sure i'll keep it. It does a few things better than my ATH-AD2000 and it's far more comfortable. Kind of reminds me of my DJ100's sound signature. I think it's safe to say I like the NEW HD-650 more than my HD-600 I bought in 2010. HD-650 definitely has the better vocals to me and more detail. Clarity seems to be a lot higher too.

 

Really not looking forward to comparing my ATH-AD2000 to the HD-650 for music. So annoying and ruins the fun of listening to headphones.


Edited by tdockweiler - 3/1/11 at 4:02pm
post #692 of 37455
Thread Starter 

Why is it annoying?

 

I've heard the HD650 didn't have much of an open soundstage compared to other open ear headphones and didn't perform that great for gaming. Glad to hear the new HD650 is on the brighter side. If they were like the HD598 with more bass, that would be so awesome, IMHO.

post #693 of 37455

It seems like whenever I do A/B comparisons between my headphones I tend to over-analyze them and it just turns listening to music into work. I guess the problem is that I buy too many headphones and don't want to keep a ton of them around. The last time I compared a bunch of headphones it took me several hours. I just want to listen to them for fun and not analyze them.

 

HD-650 is kind of fun for gaming, but it takes forever to get used to the bass. It does make some single player games more exciting, but no way I'd ever use the HD-650 for competitive gaming. I'd definitely take the HD-650 over the D2000 for games though. I do like the D2000 though for music, but only when amped.

 

People keep saying the ATH-AD2000 has a similar soundstage to the HD-650, but it seems so much more huge to me on the AD2000. Perhaps it's due to the pad mod, who knows. I was kind of hoping the HD-650 was better than my ATH-AD2000, but it definitely isn't the case since they're so different. Both are keepers, which stinks for my wallet.

 

D7000 has always interested me and you can often find them for a good price online with a little luck. I wonder if D7000 has more bass than the HD-650. Based on charts I believe they were similar. HD-650 doesn't quite feel bass heavy. Almost.

 

AD2000 feels a bit more engaging for most music than the HD-650, but might be slightly more fatiguing, although it really isn't. HD-650 has been on my head for 5 hours now without any complaints. It's just too bad the ATH-AD2000 can't be as comfortable as the HD-650. I really hope they do an HD-650 upgrade to improve the soundstage. Maybe give it slightly more forward mids, but that probably won't happen. BTW somehow the HD-650 is still quite fun to listen to, but at the same time makes me want to fall asleep. Never had a headphone do that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Why is it annoying?

 

I've heard the HD650 didn't have much of an open soundstage compared to other open ear headphones and didn't perform that great for gaming. Glad to hear the new HD650 is on the brighter side. If they were like the HD598 with more bass, that would be so awesome, IMHO.



 

post #694 of 37455

lol, may be you just like other kind of sound
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibble89 View Post

Think I may have to check my AD700's are real, to be honest. Just tried some old earphones I have (JVC Gumy), and I heard more with them, and they cost be about £5 3+ years ago :/



 

post #695 of 37455
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

It seems like whenever I do A/B comparisons between my headphones I tend to over-analyze them and it just turns listening to music into work. I guess the problem is that I buy too many headphones and don't want to keep a ton of them around. The last time I compared a bunch of headphones it took me several hours. I just want to listen to them for fun and not analyze them.

 

HD-650 is kind of fun for gaming, but it takes forever to get used to the bass. It does make some single player games more exciting, but no way I'd ever use the HD-650 for competitive gaming. I'd definitely take the HD-650 over the D2000 for games though. I do like the D2000 though for music, but only when amped.

 

People keep saying the ATH-AD2000 has a similar soundstage to the HD-650, but it seems so much more huge to me on the AD2000. Perhaps it's due to the pad mod, who knows. I was kind of hoping the HD-650 was better than my ATH-AD2000, but it definitely isn't the case since they're so different. Both are keepers, which stinks for my wallet.

 

D7000 has always interested me and you can often find them for a good price online with a little luck. I wonder if D7000 has more bass than the HD-650. Based on charts I believe they were similar. HD-650 doesn't quite feel bass heavy. Almost.

 

AD2000 feels a bit more engaging for most music than the HD-650, but might be slightly more fatiguing, although it really isn't. HD-650 has been on my head for 5 hours now without any complaints. It's just too bad the ATH-AD2000 can't be as comfortable as the HD-650. I really hope they do an HD-650 upgrade to improve the soundstage. Maybe give it slightly more forward mids, but that probably won't happen. BTW somehow the HD-650 is still quite fun to listen to, but at the same time makes me want to fall asleep. Never had a headphone do that.

 


If you haven't already, I'd suggest you try an aftermarket cable for the HD650. My upocc copper was made by a Head-Fi DIYer for a fraction of the cost of boutique cables and the change is more than apparent on my setup. Most noticeable is the widening of the soundstage and greater definition and body of the bass. The added warmth actually plays to the HD650's strengths despite the common myth that only added brightness will benefit these cans. It may not be as huge a change as what some of the hyperbole would have you believe, but that slight improvement may present the exact sound you're after.

 

For gaming I use my Astro MixAmp (double amped through my Audio-GD Fun) with the HD650. I'm currently playing Deadspace 2 and I must say it's quite an engrossing experience. Very good for single player games. For competitive multiplayer I'd want something with more emphasized treble and a slightly bigger soundstage.


Edited by olor1n - 3/2/11 at 7:00am
post #696 of 37455

I have a thread over at avsforum but maybe someone can help out over here.  I recently bought the PC360s and have them plugged into the puck of the AX720 decoder box.  I can hear everything fine but I cannot get the microphone to pick up my voice.  I have both 3.5s from the PC360 going into the puck of the 720s. The mic isn't recording anything. I have been recording voice messages and trying different things. 720 headset works fine. An xbox mic works fine (with an adapter to fit into the 720 puck). PC360 headset records nothing. I tried recording earlier with my PC and it did record my voice.  

 

 


I am hoping someone can chime in with their PC360 mic working with the AX720 mix amp box. I would hate to send these things back and there isn't anything wrong with them. I just want to rule out everything I can before I move forward with what to do next. If I need to pick up an astro mixamp I will, but I would rather not spend the money if the box isn't the problem. I don't have much experience with this kind of stuff so I am clueless as to what could be the problem. I appreciate any help that can be given.

 

(later):  Here is a strange update. I took the PC360, AX720, and an OG Xbox Mic and recorded voice on my PC. All three are pretty much the exact same level recorded. Now I have no idea what is going on as I expected the other two mics, that work completely fine over live, to put out a different level. This couldn't be more frustrating. Why would all three seem to be the same on a PC, and then the PC360s being the only ones not working over the Tritton mix amp on Xbox Live?

post #697 of 37455
Thread Starter 
This might be an incredibly stupid question, but do you have the cable that is supposed to go from the AX720 to the 360 controller connected? I ask because I have forgotten it a couple of times.
post #698 of 37455

Yeah it is connected.  I have switched from the 360s to the 720s (pulling the two 3.5s and installing the puck end) instantly and still nothing.  

post #699 of 37455
Thread Starter 
Very odd. I'll check when I get home in the morning, to make sure the PC360 works with the AX720.
post #700 of 37455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Very odd. I'll check when I get home in the morning, to make sure the PC360 works with the AX720.


Thanks I really appreciate it.  You are one of the few people I know of that can test out a known working PC360 with the AX720 box.  I can't wrap my head around it at all.  I can usually fix this type of stuff somehow.  I tried the OG Xbox headset mic w/adapter into the mic input on the puck while still using the PC360 HS for the headphone out on the puck.  I did the same with the AX720 headset, but still listened to the playback through the PC360s.  They both worked fine.  Is it possible the the 360 mic is too close to my mouth?    

 

If for some reason you can't get the PC360 mic to work I was thinking something like the Fiio E5 amp might help.  Basically amping the mic plug from the PC360s INTO the puck.  I know you have some amps that you could try if you get the same result as me.  I don't know if I would go that route (may sell and buy an astro mixamp), but at least we would be able to help other people out that have taken the route to headset gaming that I did.  Would also be nice to update the first page of your two threads that the AX720 isn't the way to go if upgrading is the plan.  I would be curious to see if the MMX300s have the same issue if your PC360s have the same problem as mine.  

 

Either way this is so strange.  I plan on trying to do more scientific tests tomorrow to see if I can measure the recorded levels of each microphone setup that I have.  My wife has a Mac and that may have better software to record with each mic.  I think I will use an ipod's ear bud held to the mic with the same tone playing at the same level.  Then use an spl meter to measure the recorded levels played back.  I really want to rule out the PC360s if I can.  It is one thing to think all three recorded the same but I could be way off.  May be only recording at half the level.

post #701 of 37455

That is strange. I would assume there is a possible solution. A lot of times it's just stupid BS, haha. Kind of like drivers for sound cards on PCs. Good luck, man.

post #702 of 37455

Guys, I just have a question about mic mods (I'm attaching it to either the AD700s or the HD555s, whichever I decide to keep). Since the classic Lactec mic is discontinued, is there another mic that you guys break appart to use to velcro to the side of your headphones? I ordered one of these : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001S2RCXW/ref=ox_ya_os_product but I'm wondering what other quality mics there are to attach to headphones. I got the Zalman clip on mic but it just did not pic up my voice clearly.

post #703 of 37455

What do you think about the Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS?

http://www.amazon.com/Force-Channel-Dolby-Surround-Processor-Mac/dp/B003O0KICS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I just want to connect my ad700's to my ps3 (hiss-free) and I'm thinking about possibly giving this a try. Anyone tried it?

post #704 of 37455
Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post

What do you think about the Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS?

http://www.amazon.com/Force-Channel-Dolby-Surround-Processor-Mac/dp/B003O0KICS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I just want to connect my ad700's to my ps3 (hiss-free) and I'm thinking about possibly giving this a try. Anyone tried it?



I think these guys talked about it having a hiss

post #705 of 37455

I have a DSS and a 5.8 mixamp, and I previously owned a wired mixamp.

 

The wired mixamp has the least hiss. The 5.8 and DSS have nearly the same hiss level, with the 5.8 being a hair less hissy.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)