or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 459

post #6871 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

If you say it helps, that's more than enough. It's mostly for the last bit of oomph anyways. The E17 is something I mainly want ti help with my portables, as the HE400 is very quiet off the Vita and PSP. That and I have the DAc in case I ever need one.

Hey, do what you do smily_headphones1.gif
On a completely unrelated note, I saw a guy driving around at midnight a few nights ago, with his headlights off and his Bose Triports on. Durrr? That's a guy who shouldn't do what he does IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruuku View Post

Oh, and if someone could point me to a guide on "how to use this forum" (i.e. editing profile, deleting lists, adding sigs... things of that nature) I would appreciate it as well. It doesn't have to necessarily be on this site, but whatever engine/application this particular forum uses.  

First off, Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet!

Mad props to reading the entire thread, how long did that take? I only got to the hundredth page before posting, I believe. You also probably read my posts, so you'd know I'm not deeply $ invested yet, but I've enjoyed the research. And we all do like spending money on out audio, even if we don't always make the most logical choices wink.gif Still not sure if I'm keeping or selling my accidental V-MODAs.

As for how to use this forum? Um, I think there is a sticky post about that, but here's some general tips: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Edits: click or tap the pencil icon in the lower-left corner of your post.
Multi-quote: lower right hand buttons on a post for reply methods, I never got the multi-quote button to work on my iPad, so I write a reply to each quoted message, then copy-paste the whole thing with code into a previous post by invoking an edit. That's my effort to reduce my tendency to spam -_-
Subscriptions: there's a button to subscribe to a thread without posting, but if you do post it's added automatically. You can check your Subscriptions for updates by clicking the labeled link at the top-right of any forum page next to the search bar. The subscriptions page remembers which tab you were last looking at, so I leave it on Threads.
Signatures: next to the subscriptions link is a link with your username. Click that and scroll down down until you see the field to enter something about you. Most people list their gear for bragging rights but also so others know where you're coming from, and I put my music prefs there too. Contributers such as Mad Lust Envy, NamelessPFG, and ClieOS have their guides linked in their sigs to save people time in finding their guides and reviews.

Hope that helps!

PS: for NamelessPFG and everybody else I've bugged, I've discovered that Windows 7 Pro should be my go-to choice because the 32-bit Win XP emulation is more comprehensive than the Home version's backwards compatability. I may have to hold off on it till I'm ready to install my "final" CPU for this computer build since the cheaper OEM version ties itself to the MoBo & CPU after 3 days.
Edited by Evshrug - 8/9/12 at 5:29pm
post #6872 of 37327
Thread Starter 
I'm guessing he's trying to kill himself. @_@
post #6873 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


Hey, do what you do smily_headphones1.gif
On a completely unrelated note, I saw a guy driving around at midnight a few nights ago, with his headlights off and his Bose Triports on. Durrr? That's a guy who shouldn't do what he does IMO.
First off, Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet!
Mad props to reading the entire thread, how long did that take? I only got to the hundredth page before posting, I believe. You also probably read my posts, so you'd know I'm not deeply $ invested yet, but I've enjoyed the research. And we all do like spending money on out audio, even if we don't always make the most logical choices wink.gif Still not sure if I'm keeping or selling my accidental V-MODAs.

PS: for NamelessPFG and everybody else I've bugged, I've discovered that Windows 7 Pro should be my go-to choice because the 32-bit Win XP emulation is more comprehensive than the Home version's backwards compatability. I may have to hold off on it till I'm ready to install my "final" CPU for this computer build since the cheaper OEM version ties itself to the MoBo & CPU after 3 days.

 

Thanks for the warm welcome, and yea the wallet thing... but i figure I'd just blow the money on food, gas, insurance.... you know the unimportant stuff anyway so....  Oh, since your talking about OSs... not too sure if you knew but the preorder upgrade to Win8 comes with Win8 Professional so if you only have home on 7 it would actually be cheaper to upgrade in October. Then again you might have to deal with a buggy os for a little while. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I'm guessing he's trying to kill himself. @_@

WHHAAATTT??? Then who's gonna answer all of the random PC questions that pop up? I've been on OSX for the past 8 years! 

 

 

Ok, so I ordered AD900s from a major online retailer...215.00 plus 15.00 S&H... but they wont ship till a week later. I was bummed but whatever. A few days later I get a notice saying there was a problem with my order. It gets canceled, takes a couple of days to refund my card and they throw me a $5 credit. Over and done with right? Nope. About a week later a box shows up from Fex-Ex...what the hey? I don't remember ordering anything... Guess whats in the box...yup AD900s, however instead of shiny and new they were new-ish.... Not that I've ever handled a NIB pair but I'm pretty sure AT or any other mid to high level manufacturer would wrap the audio cable around the hinged area of the plastic carrier. wow. just wow. Had I actually paid for these I would have been pretty pissed... especially since NewEgg has them for 200.00.

Long story a little less long... good riddance AD900 and the terrible wing design. The Q701s should handily replace the AD900s if I'm not mistaken.  


Edited by ruuku - 8/9/12 at 8:06pm
post #6874 of 37327
Thread Starter 
I hope so. Let yourself adjust to the bumps.... as that can be an issue. Wasn't for me after a few dats, but you never know.
post #6875 of 37327

Well guys... sad to say but I think I'm done buying audio equipment besides a SC for now. My real passion is making this monster gaming rig the nastiest beast I've built yet. Except every time I buy something or do something, mod something or change something... IT ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH!!! GRRR!!! This is my second case this year and now I want to upgrade to a TJ11... angry_face.gif I wish I would make up my mind before I buy something. I also want to change my res out and all my WC tubing to clear. My buddy Mick (AKA Mayhem) is making me a special dye I call Toxic Waste!! :D!!! It looks like the Ninja turtle ooze. ^^ Glows under UV too. 

 

 

But I will still trol (patrol*) these threads lurking about reading all the juicy information your audio geeks spit out. popcorn.gif 

     Much love - The Sush.

post #6876 of 37327
Thread Starter 
And that is why I don't mess with Pc gaming. Things become outdated in a few months after release. I'll stick to consoles which upgrade every half a decade or so...

In other news, forum member ruuku helped me out by typing most of the Dolby headphone decoder boxes as well as some final notes, which I have updated on the first post. Thanks again, ruuku!

This is something I should've done ages ago. I'll be updating these entries in the future, perhaps with some scores or personal comments on the Mixamp, 5.8, and AX720.
post #6877 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

And that is why I don't mess with Pc gaming. Things become outdated in a few months after release. I'll stick to consoles which upgrade every half a decade or so...
In other news, forum member ruuku helped me out by typing most of the Dolby headphone decoder boxes as well as some final notes, which I have updated on the first post. Thanks again, ruuku!
This is something I should've done ages ago. I'll be updating these entries in the future, perhaps with some scores or personal comments on the Mixamp, 5.8, and AX720.

Cool. What are decoder boxes? lol Audio newb here.

 

About the PC. It's not so much as out dated. A 460Ti or 6850 still can push better graphics than an xbox or PS3 any day of the week. For me it's more of a, it cost a crap load of money to make a nice rig. I'm also trying to start my own PC building business here in the burgh and want to show off all I can do. (WHICH IS PRICEY!! JEEZ!!!) The American dream ain't cheap y'all! lol

post #6878 of 37327
Thread Starter 
Oh i know even multiple year old PCs do better graphics than consoles. However, you don't have a desire or need to upgrade when playing on Consoles, because everyone is playing on the same system/s. We upgrade when a new system is out. I know I'd be mad if I bought a high end PC, then the next week, the next best thing is out. Screw that headache.

Decoder boxes = Mixamp, AX720, etc. Basically gaming oriented amps that have Dolby headphone or other virtual surround processing for headphones. The rough equivalent of specialized soundcard for PCs, like the Essence STX, Titanium HD, etc. Obviously nowhere near as good, but it's all console gamers have... unless you wanna count somethig like the Beyer Headzone... lol.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/9/12 at 11:06pm
post #6879 of 37327
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSushi2 View Post

...Except every time I buy something or do something, mod something or change something... IT ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH!!! GRRR!!! 

This is how I felt when I over-built a PC  just to run diablo.  I have/had no need in buying/using a 860 watt Power supply, and many other components that I ended up buying. Its kind of funny when I think about it because the only reason I was doing this in the first place was because a friend was upgrading his rig. Free three-year-old MB, Ram, and processor was too good to pass up. But now guess what...I want to upgrade said parts. Which is part of the reason I'm here. From one money sink to anotherwink_face.gif.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

And that is why I don't mess with Pc gaming. Things become outdated in a few months after release. I'll stick to consoles which upgrade every half a decade or so...
In other news, forum member ruuku helped me out by typing most of the Dolby headphone decoder boxes as well as some final notes, which I have updated on the first post. Thanks again, ruuku!
This is something I should've done ages ago. I'll be updating these entries in the future, perhaps with some scores or personal comments on the Mixamp, 5.8, and AX720.

Happy to help... hopefully most of it was accurate, I'm not exactly certified...

 

Speaking of which aren't we due out for new consoles pretty soon? Speculations time frame wise? Honestly, I can't see myself buying another Sony system for a while.... unless they make another Metal Gear. Not featuring Raiden. Which reminds me why I bought a PS3 in the first place. Never-mind.... totally worth it. 

 

Ooohhhh... MLE avatar change....Yozora?


Edited by ruuku - 8/9/12 at 11:09pm
post #6880 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSushi2 View Post

Cool. What are decoder boxes? lol Audio newb here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

In other news, forum member ruuku helped me out by typing most of the Dolby headphone decoder boxes as well as some final notes, which I have updated on the first post. Thanks again, ruuku!
 
 
Read the first post, NinjaSushi.
post #6881 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Oh i know even multiple year old PCs do better graphics than consoles. However, you don't have a desire or need to upgrade when playing on Consoles, because everyone is playing on the same system/s. We upgrade when a new system is out. I know I'd be mad if I bought a high end PC, then the next week, the next best thing is out. Screw that headache.
Decoder boxes = Mixamp, AX720, etc. Basically gaming oriented amps that have Dolby headphone or other virtual surround processing for headphones. The rough equivalent of specialized soundcard for PCs, like the Essence STX, Titanium HD, etc. Obviously nowhere near as good, but it's all console gamers have... unless you wanna count somethig like the Beyer Headzone... lol.

 

I too console game. I have or had so many console in my life. Currently have my PS2, PS3, and XBOX 360. Oh and a PSP but that's not console. PCs are more of a really expensive hobby.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruuku View Post

This is how I felt when I over-built a PC  just to run diablo.  I have/had no need in buying/using a 860 watt Power supply, and many other components that I ended up buying. Its kind of funny when I think about it because the only reason I was doing this in the first place was because a friend was upgrading his rig. Free three-year-old MB, Ram, and processor was too good to pass up. But now guess what...I want to upgrade said parts. Which is part of the reason I'm here. From one money sink to anotherwink_face.gif.  

 

Happy to help... hopefully most of it was accurate, I'm not exactly certified...

 

Speaking of which aren't we due out for new consoles pretty soon? Speculations time frame wise? Honestly, I can't see myself buying another Sony system for a while.... unless they make another Metal Gear. Not featuring Raiden. Which reminds me why I bought a PS3 in the first place. Never-mind.... totally worth it. 

 

Ooohhhh... MLE avatar change....Yozora?

 

Yeah PS3 was a total let down. A glorified blu-ray player IMO. 256MB ram and 256MB VRAM? ARE YOU SERIOUS!? My one 7970 has 3GB of VRAM and I had 8GB of ram in my PC until my main board either blew a mosfet, bent a pin, or the DRAM 3 port is bad. *Warranty!!!*

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C View Post
 

I am aware.

 

Edit: That's odd... it quoted incorrectly. 

post #6882 of 37327
Thread Starter 
ruuku, I do believe it's Yozora, though I nabbed it randomly. She had one of the best ending themes, EVAR. DAT AIR GUITAR
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSushi2 View Post

I too console game. I have or had so many console in my life. Currently have my PS2, PS3, and XBOX 360. Oh and a PSP but that's not console. PCs are more of a really expensive hobby.


Yeah PS3 was a total let down. A glorified blu-ray player IMO. 256MB ram and 256MB VRAM? ARE YOU SERIOUS!? My one 7970 has 3GB of VRAM and I had 8GB of ram in my PC until my main board either blew a mosfet, bent a pin, or the DRAM 3 port is bad. *Warranty!!!*

I am aware.

Edit: That's odd... it quoted incorrectly. 

Shut yo mouth! frown.gif

I love the PS3. Play some Uncharted 3 and tell me those graphics aren't anything but amazing.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/9/12 at 11:22pm
post #6883 of 37327
AntLion ModMic
I have not personally heard this microphone, but everyone I know who owns it is extremely pleased with how sensitive it is, and how versatile it is with attaching it to your headphones. This one is a high quality, flexible microphone that will make headsets pretty much obsolete. Please note that at the time of this update, the Modmic is SOLD OUT. However, The new version is due out possibly in August which is supposedly an improved version of the existing ModMic.

I have the personal pleasure of saying I was able to test these mics first hand. The reason for the new mic was I found that moister had a very easy time of making its way into the components of the pick up on the mic. I noticed just by spit talking, drinking something with condensation, or even having wet hands while handling the mic damaged it. As far as I know ModMic v. 2.0 will have a better screen/filter for moister so that common mishaps will not damage the mic. biggrin.gif

post #6884 of 37327
Thread Starter 
Now waiting for it's release so I can edit that part out. XD
post #6885 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

shut yo mouth! frown.gif
I love the PS3. Play some Uncharted 3 and tell me those graphics aren't anything but amazing.

Ram and VRAM have nothing to do with graphics or processing power. For instance the reason Skyrim sucked donkey everything when it came out is because the game had to cache to the HDD. The mere 256MB ram filled up so fast it was rending graphics and storing data on a platter disk HD (Mind you not a fast 15000 RPM V-Raptor or even an SSD) This is why most hardcore gamers switched out their 2.5" drives for some uber fast read/write SSD.

 

The graphics on the PS3 are very nice but when it comes to rendering a demanding game the architecture is outdated, under-par, and poorly designed. I shutter to think of the ram speeds on the PS3. *Shutters* It uses DDR3 while PC GPUs all run DDR5 (GDDR if you will) The new PS3 are supposed to run "cleaner" by having reduced power consumption and reduced over all nm of all core components.

 

The die of the cpu and gpu both dramatically dropped over the last 5 years, (cut in half), and the PSU was also reduced almost by half. 90nm to 45nm and 380W to 190W. Now does this effect performance?... Eh.. Physically speaking, less power = less performance. But according to Moore's law, technology trumps physics.

 

Mind you as far as I know the audio hasn't changed a bit! lol 5.1

 

"Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)"

 

Edit: The PS3 and XBOX also have ghosting and/or screen input lag. When using the PS3 or XBOX360 ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS!! Run your input as PC or "Gamer acceleration mode". The lack of VRAM on the consoles makes playing at 1080p very hard for some TVs, I.E. 32"+ depending on make/model and features. So my advice is if you console game and love that Full HD then apply any gaming features and always set input to PC. 

 

Oddly enough it's been found MW2 runs better and cleaner at 720p rather than 1080p. By cleaner I mean it looks better despite the reduced graphics display.


Edited by NinjaSushi2 - 8/9/12 at 11:44pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)