or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 456

post #6826 of 37450

What would you guys recommend for an all-round for games and movies?  Most of my competitive gaming is not FPS-related, so immersion is the biggest factor.  I currently own Denon AD-2000 and a FiiO E17.

post #6827 of 37450

Well, while I am far from an expert, and am still waiting on my first set of good cans, I came here asking for the same thing as you, immersion.

 

After some research I was set on getting the CAL!, but ended up ordering the DT990 Pro, since I found them for a good prices, and they seemed to be very good at "movie theater" like experiences.

 

But I guess you need to define your budget first and if you want Open/Closed, since depending on these factors the recommendations might change a lot.

post #6828 of 37450
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchablemike View Post

What would you guys recommend for an all-round for games and movies?  Most of my competitive gaming is not FPS-related, so immersion is the biggest factor.  I currently own Denon AD-2000 and a FiiO E17.

You already own the D2000. Pretty sure those would rate very high on my list for immersion. All you're missing is a dolby headphone device to make them even better. If you play on consoles, invest in a DSS (the first one, I don't have experience with the DSS2 which doesn't use Dolby Headphone) if you don't use a mic, or a Mixamp if you do, or want the best device. If you play on PC go to the PC guide by Nameless, and ask what soundcard to get.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/7/12 at 12:57pm
post #6829 of 37450

I'm on an xbox and am always in a party with my friends talking so that won't work well :/

post #6830 of 37450
Thread Starter 
What won't? Get a Mixamp and an external mic. The D2000 should be quite fine.
post #6831 of 37450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

What won't? Get a Mixamp and an external mic. The D2000 should be quite fine.

I am a different person, I am the one with the audio balance issues.  I forgot to quote so it looked weird.

post #6832 of 37450
Thread Starter 
Oh, my mistake. XD

Hmm... have you had your Mixamp long? You can try and contact Astro and see if they can fix the issue for you. I've heard of channel imbalance, but I have honestly never experienced it with my amps. I had a very old Mixamp, and the 5.8, neither which had an issue with it.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/7/12 at 4:08pm
post #6833 of 37450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Oh, my mistake. XD
Hmm... have you had your Mixamp long? You can try and contact Astro and see if they can fix the issue for you.

Yeah I sent them an email, I've had it for maybe 3 weeks, but I got it off of Ebay because it's the 5.8 one which they don't sell anymore so who knows how long the previous owner had it.

post #6834 of 37450
Thread Starter 
What did they say? They do sell it, just in bundles... the 5.8 hasn't been out a year, so hopefully the warranty will hold.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/7/12 at 4:09pm
post #6835 of 37450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

What did they say? They do sell it, just in bundles... the 5.8 hasn't been out a year, so hopefully the warranty will hold.

He told me to try 3 things but I could only do the check connections one because the other 2 referred to using an a40 or a30, so I just sent another email back and hopefully it works out :S

post #6836 of 37450
Thread Starter 
This is why I don't buy things used, especially off Ebay. I would here on Head-fi, off people that have been here and have had good rep.
post #6837 of 37450
Hey Mad,
I know you don't own this, but how do you think the creative recon3D stacks up to the Mixamp?
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Recon3D-External-Enhancer/dp/B005FKT70O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344395655&sr=1-1&keywords=creative+sound+blaster+recon3d+usb

I know you don't own it, but it looks like it has everything the Mixamp does, and more features & compatability to boot. For $99. If your Mixamps broke, would you consider buying this Recon3D to replace it instead?

P.S. sound output on my Mac (music, movies, current Starcraft II instal) stopped working, still isn't fixed yet. This external soundcard is pretty much the only upgrade option for Mac under $1000.
Edited by Evshrug - 8/7/12 at 8:38pm
post #6838 of 37450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Hey Mad,
I know you don't own this, but how do you think the creative recon3D stacks up to the Mixamp?
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Recon3D-External-Enhancer/dp/B005FKT70O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344395655&sr=1-1&keywords=creative+sound+blaster+recon3d+usb
I know you don't own it, but it looks like it has everything the Mixamp has, and more features & compatability to boot. For $99. If your Mixamps broke, would you consider buying this Recon3D to replace it instead?
P.S. sound output on my Mac stopped working, still isn't fixed yet.

 

Having owned the Recon3D and currently owning the Mixamp my personal preference is towards the Mixamp. I felt that the Recon3D just didn't do the positioning as well the Mixamp. However, the Recon3D gives you a lot more bells and whistles and can be used USB off a computer (with the supplied drivers) so it is a more well rounded device. I felt like "Scout Mode" basically just EQ'd up the treble so the sharp sounds came through more pronounced, but I turned it off within moments of enabling it in TF2 as it really irritated my ears. THX is some fine processing, and I felt that the Recon3D did movies better than the Mixamp. But at the end of the day, I just wasn't sold on the Recon3D and instead turned around and purchased myself the Mixamp. It's simpler to use and the positioning was better to me. The amp inside the Recon3D also isn't as nice as the one in the Mixamp, which did a better job driving my headphones.

 

I know it wasn't directed to me, but as someone who has owned both there's my 2 cents.

 

I should also note that since you're looking to use it as an external sound card, the Recon3D is a good choice. While I feel the Mixamp is superior for positioning, it sounds like it won't work with your current situation too easily. You'd need some kind of additional USB card to supply 5/7.1 out to the Mixamp. For my personal laptop I use the Asus U3 when traveling to get my Dolby Headphone, but sadly it's not Mac compatible :(

post #6839 of 37450
Thread Starter 
Thanks for answering for me Axel. it's what I heard of the Recon, which is why I haven't looked at it twice. What I wanna know about it is if it works for DTS? That is the single biggest shortcoming on the Mixamp.

But I'd probably prefer to get the DSS2 if it works for DTS... as I hear that the positioning is quite good on it.
post #6840 of 37450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Thanks for answering for me Axel. it's what I heard of the Recon, which is why I haven't looked at it twice. What I wanna know about it is if it works for DTS? That is the single biggest shortcoming on the Mixamp.
But I'd probably prefer to get the DSS2 if it works for DTS... as I hear that the positioning is quite good on it.

 

Sadly, no. No DTS support, at least not when I had it, which wasn't long after launch. I assume that fact hasn't changed.

 

Actually, I stand corrected, I just found a promotional comparison that does claim it has DTS. Interesting.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)