or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 455

post #6811 of 37281

When will you do a review of the Hifiman He-400? It seems like you're in love with them, but how would they compare to the Q701, Ultrasone 900, D7000, etc for gaming? 

post #6812 of 37281
Thread Starter 
While they have amazing SQ, its pretty much standard for gaming. Preliminary score would be 8.5 for fun, 7.5 for competitive. Still need more testing to make sure rear positional cues are easy to discern. So far, its as good as the HE-4 in that regard, meaning its good to somewhat great for competitive.
post #6813 of 37281

Hey Mad Lust, I am going to buy my first set of decent gaming headphones to go with my Mixamp this week, since my girlfriend is going to France (more expensive than in the US, but waaay cheaper then here in Brazil).

 

Based on your recommendations here, I have the option to get the CAL! for 70 euro or spend 149 and get a DT 770 or DT 990 Pro.

 

Since I am looking 100% for immersion, and will be driving them off my Mixamp (that is connected via optical to my PC), do you think the 990s are the better buy quality wise? Are open headphones more immersive (I never used decent open headphones) than closed ones?

 

Of for the money I should just get the CAL! and be happy with it, since it is way cheaper?

 

While I have your attention, are any of these headphones going to sound good of my 4S and Vita? Not my primary concern, but it would be good to know!

 

Thanks!

post #6814 of 37281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailin View Post

The pads are fine on the CALs just find them a little small.  I can feel the edges of the pads on the edges of my ears. Just didn't find them as comfortable. A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

The pads are indeed just barely big enough to fit my ears, and I can feel my ears touching the sides.

 

You can do what I did and "phatpad" mod them by sticking a bit of rubber tubing under the cups.  Makes them more spacious and might help the soundstage too (I have just the back spaced out which angles the drivers slightly).

 

The CALs are very very sweet for the price. biggrin.gif

post #6815 of 37281
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwalton View Post

Hey Mad Lust, I am going to buy my first set of decent gaming headphones to go with my Mixamp this week, since my girlfriend is going to France (more expensive than in the US, but waaay cheaper then here in Brazil).

Based on your recommendations here, I have the option to get the CAL! for 70 euro or spend 149 and get a DT 770 or DT 990 Pro.

Since I am looking 100% for immersion, and will be driving them off my Mixamp (that is connected via optical to my PC), do you think the 990s are the better buy quality wise? Are open headphones more immersive (I never used decent open headphones) than closed ones?

Of for the money I should just get the CAL! and be happy with it, since it is way cheaper?

While I have your attention, are any of these headphones going to sound good of my 4S and Vita? Not my primary concern, but it would be good to know!

Thanks!

The CAL! is indeed sweet, but... how often are you going to have a chance to get headphones cheaper from an international source? My opinion and advice is to seize the opportunity and get your "endgame" headphones.
post #6816 of 37281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwalton View Post

Hey Mad Lust, I am going to buy my first set of decent gaming headphones to go with my Mixamp this week, since my girlfriend is going to France (more expensive than in the US, but waaay cheaper then here in Brazil).

Based on your recommendations here, I have the option to get the CAL! for 70 euro or spend 149 and get a DT 770 or DT 990 Pro.

Since I am looking 100% for immersion, and will be driving them off my Mixamp (that is connected via optical to my PC), do you think the 990s are the better buy quality wise? Are open headphones more immersive (I never used decent open headphones) than closed ones?

Of for the money I should just get the CAL! and be happy with it, since it is way cheaper?

While I have your attention, are any of these headphones going to sound good of my 4S and Vita? Not my primary concern, but it would be good to know!

Thanks!

The DT990 pro is considerably better than both, IMHo. HOWEVER, both the 990s and 770s need a decent amp to bring out a lot of out them, and sound pretty bad without one. If you can't afford at LEAST a Fiio E11, don't bother with those two headphones. Get the CAL if you can't afford an amp.
post #6817 of 37281

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


The DT990 pro is considerably better than both, IMHo. HOWEVER, both the 990s and 770s need a decent amp to bring out a lot of out them, and sound pretty bad without one. If you can't afford at LEAST a Fiio E11, don't bother with those two headphones. Get the CAL if you can't afford an amp.
 

Hmm this is interesting, so are you saying that the 2010 Astro Mixamp won't do a great job with the DT990 Pro or DT770 Pro?

 

I guess the whole point of this purchase for me was to better utilize the Mixamp, if I start amp shopping, then I think I'll need to do a lot more researching. And I would hate to just retire my Mixamp!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


The CAL! is indeed sweet, but... how often are you going to have a chance to get headphones cheaper from an international source? My opinion and advice is to seize the opportunity and get your "endgame" headphones.
 
While I do want to seize the moment, I am sure I will have more opportunities in the following months from friends and family (or who knows, maybe I'll go to America if I can get some time off from work), and so I don't want to rush things.
 
If my Mixamp does a crappy job with the DT brothers, then I'll just stick with the CAL! for now and later on get a decent amp + headphone combo. 
post #6818 of 37281
Thread Starter 
Oh I must have forgot you having a Mixamp. If you're not using a mic, the Mixamp will be fine alone. If you plan on attaching a mic, you will need an amp.
post #6819 of 37281

So I found out my mixamp makes it to where the right side doesn't work as well as the left side, I tried with 2 different headphones and flipped them around and determined that was it.  has anyone else had this problem or know what to do?

post #6820 of 37281

Oh, that's better then!

 

I will use it mainly to play single player, so a mic wont be that necessary. And if I really need one, I can just run it off the PC, right?

 

So I guess I'll get the DT 990 Pro then, seems like it is your top pick.

 

Thanks!

post #6821 of 37281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztrains View Post

So I found out my mixamp makes it to where the right side doesn't work as well as the left side, I tried with 2 different headphones and flipped them around and determined that was it.  has anyone else had this problem or know what to do?

 

That's called channel imbalance. Sometimes poorly made amps do that, or just a poor amp/headphone match will do that.

I experience it a lot with my MixAmp and headphones. 

 

Here's what I do:

1. With the MixAmp + headphones only, figure out what volume the sound is both balanced and more than loud enough.

2. Connect a second amp (doesn't have to be expensive or anything, even the humble Fiio E6 will prob work fine) in between the MixAmp and headphone: MixAmp > Amp > Headphone

3. Crank the MixAmp to the volume level from step 1.

4. Use the second amp to lower the volume to a comfortable level

post #6822 of 37281
Thread Starter 
The mini Fiio amps don't add almost any real volume to the Mixamp's volume, FYI. Though if you're having channel imbalance issues, I guess that's a workaround. If your Mixamp
s volume is set too low, the Fiio won't really help that unless you get at least the E11.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/6/12 at 7:23pm
post #6823 of 37281

I don't have a second amp though, and can't really afford to get one/don't want to.  Is the other option to just turn it up a bit louder?  Also, is mine defected possibly or is that normal (I know it's not just my main headphones cause I tested it out with 2)

post #6824 of 37281
Thread Starter 
Turn it louder, and lower the game/voice knob. You can pretty much max out the Mixamp volume, and control the volume with the game/voice knob if you want. the further to the voice side it is, the lower the volume. If you're not using a mic, this knob won't negatively affect anything other than helping your volume/balance issues.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/6/12 at 9:04pm
post #6825 of 37281

x2 what MLE said. If there's no distortion and it's just channel imbalance, I really wouldn't worry. Are you gaming on console or PC? You can limit the system volume on PC, if it's too loud.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)