or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 443

post #6631 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcloughlin7 View Post

Suggest to me a nice reasonably priced headphone amp to drive my 250 ohm DT990s

Fiio E9

post #6632 of 37327

MLE, I had the HE400s for a brief time and my experience was nowhere near as positive as yours.  I couldn't put my finger on it exactly, but it seemed like there were sections of the highs that were completely missing.  Like the FR dropped off and then spiked back up.  

 

I don't know, I read everywhere how people are loving the HE400s and I really wasn't that impressed.  I am starting to think my pair was defective.  

 

Do you notice anything missing or dips in the treble on your HE400s?


Edited by draven5494 - 7/27/12 at 9:42am
post #6633 of 37327
Thread Starter 
Nope. Did you use the velour pads?

Also, did you have the revised HE400s or the ones before it? The originals had a smoother sound, and had a lot of treble roll off, which sounds like its what you had. They fixed it. Also the velour fixes more of that upper mid recession, as pointed out by the waterfall plots.
post #6634 of 37327

Treble's smooth and sparkly as can be for me.  Anything more pronounced, especially in the lower treble, could easily be called bright.  As it stand the he-400 is already a bit of bright.  Are you referring to the 5khz upper midrange?  The he-400s are a bit tamed down there-- the area where you typically hear the slap of drums.

 

A quick way to tell if you have older or newer he-400 is to take the pads off.  Black magnetic structure is old, white is new.

post #6635 of 37327
I purchased them a few months ago but have since returned them because I thought they were faulty or at the very least their sound signature was way off. I suppose i could have had the older version, it's possible. I never did try the velour pads either.

All of this info helps though, I may just have to give the he400s another shot.
post #6636 of 37327
Thread Starter 
Other ways to tell.

The metal that holds the cups is rough and the old is smooth and polished. The plug on the old is 1/4" with a 3.5mm adapter, the new is 3.5mm with a 1/4" adapter.
post #6637 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Treble's smooth and sparkly as can be for me.  Anything more pronounced, especially in the lower treble, could easily be called bright.  As it stand the he-400 is already a bit of bright.  Are you referring to the 5khz upper midrange?  The he-400s are a bit tamed down there-- the area where you typically hear the slap of drums.

A quick way to tell if you have older or newer he-400 is to take the pads off.  Black magnetic structure is old, white is new.

Not for nothing but the rev1 had more of that slap of drums as you say like as in tom toms or snare just more impact even in the kicks..

I think when they fixed the driver problems from cutting in/out they also fixed that slap/snap/impact that the first version had and I miss. In the end HE-400 ver2 is still a stellar headset..


Hey MLE so what's the best gaming headeset out of the AD700 Q701 And HE-400 for positional audio cues only?? I mean I already have my opinion just curious what your thoughts are??
Edited by I95North - 7/27/12 at 12:11pm
post #6638 of 37327
Thread Starter 
Id say the Q701 has everything you want on that front. The AD700 might have a slight advantage at the expense of a lot of SQ loss.

The HE400 is still a work in progress, but while its stellar, I think the positioning on the Q701 is better.

But were talking about great positioning, not missing anything vs greater positioning, and not being as full bodied.

The Q701 isn't as full bodied, so its easier to focus on sounds, while the HE400 is very full bodied, and everything is more integrated.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 7/27/12 at 12:34pm
post #6639 of 37327

I always found the AD700 to have trouble distinguishing front and back when people are in close proximity, but I remember you said that was just a weakness of dolby headphone in general, and takes a while to get used to.

post #6640 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Id say the Q701 has everything you want on that front. The AD700 might have a slight advantage at the expense of a lot of SQ loss.
The HE400 is still a work in progress, but while its stellar, I think the positioning on the Q701 is better.
But were talking about great positioning, not missing anything vs greater positioning, and not being as full bodied.
The Q701 isn't as full bodied, so its easier to focus on sounds, while the HE400 is very full bodied, and everything is more integrated.

Lol oh ok I'd hope you say the AD700 is king just for positional cues like I see it also.. Now I did swindle my buddy out of his k701 for cheap but not quite the same as the q701 I guess.. I think for me the ad700 wins them all over hands down just for positional cues..

Funny thing though for me is that the ad700 is hella bright and makes my ears ring after Some time using them while gaming. To end the HE-400 are better at not making my ears ring but they lose alil in spot on audio cues to the AD700 but are not bad it all depends on gear in the end I think..
post #6641 of 37327
Thread Starter 
If the AD700 is a 10, the Q701 is a 9, and the HE400 is an 8 respectively. Meaning in direct comparison of positional cues.

Anything 8 and above is all that's necessary, and won't hamper gameplay.

Its because the AD700 is so bright and thin sounding that makes positional cues so easy to identify and locate.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 7/27/12 at 1:10pm
post #6642 of 37327
Thread Starter 
http://www.avguide.com/review/follow-hifiman-he-400-headphone-revision-2-drivers-playback-57

For those wondering about the changes from the old HE400 to the Revision 2.

I'm so glad I waited until now to get the HE400. I think I wouldn't have liked the original at all.
post #6643 of 37327

Man with hearing how good the ad700 sounds at positional cues, the a900x must be even better, put I just can't get past their cheap wing headband. If only Audio-Technica would fix the headband, I would probably snap the headphones up in an instant.

post #6644 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post

Man with hearing how good the ad700 sounds at positional cues, the a900x must be even better, put I just can't get past their cheap wing headband. If only Audio-Technica would fix the headband, I would probably snap the headphones up in an instant.

Send them an email about it, I did.

post #6645 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Send them an email about it, I did.

Did you get a response? I'm genuinely curious.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)