Yeah I have this years A40s so the 2012 model. Alright thanks I am going to look into the Q701s and try them out before I buy I'll either sell off these A40s or give them to my brother.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Hifiman MegaMini Review - Expatinjapan Head Pie Hifiman and Campfire Audio Vega Hifiman MegaMini...
I recently received the JLab Epic2 Bluetooth headphones for review. Some of the new features of the Epic2 are the upgrade from ipx4 to ipx5 to improve resistance to sweat and water. They have...
It would of gotten a 5 star rating, if it wasn't so expensive. So I got to listen to the MOJO yesterday through the JVC SZ1000. Total different animal of an amp. Nice clean subbass, while...
BRAVO ERIB-2A EARPHONE PLANAR UNIVERSAL IN-EAR MONITOR TAKES LISTENING TO THE NEXT LEVEL. oBravo is a company founded in 2006 and located in Taiwan have made air-motion technology a...
I saw an article that showed the sound output of the 518 vs the 558 and 598. I was amazed to see that the sound signature for each headphone was practically identical. So I decided to take a shot a...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 439
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6572 of 372867/25/12 at 4:01pmThread StarterSound with the velours...
WTF!? How are these NOT the stock pads? The sound is clearer, and I could swear the bass got just a LITTLE more present. Everything just got a boost of airyness, and is less dark. Seriously, it sounds 95% the same, but a slight tonal shift towards the CLEAR side, yet the bass has a stronger growl. Unexpected. I was literally quite skeptical about the pad swap, yet, there is literally NO reason to use the pleather. NONE.
I would say this is what I expected of the bass, and reminds me of the HE-4's bass.
Serously though, you guys were NOT kidding. The velours really made a difference for the better.
Those who know me, know that I'm not afflicted by new toy syndrome. I was actually expecting to NOT like the HE400. I was very displeased by the Pro 900 at first, and they changed for the better (whether burn in or whatever is subjective, but they are better than when I first got them). The HE400 sounded amazing OUT OF THE GATE, especially with the velours. Considering I just got the He400 and spent the hour with the pleather and swapped to the velour with the same songs... it's quite clear that the pleather has no business being on the HE400. The velours are IT.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 7/25/12 at 4:09pmpost #6573 of 372867/25/12 at 4:02pmQuote:
Lol dangerous words!
Glad you're having a great experience... So these will be your new reference cans? Have you tried them during gaming yet?
Edit: awesome to hear about your velour update. Did those extra pads come with it?
Edited by Evshrug - 7/25/12 at 4:03pmpost #6574 of 372867/25/12 at 4:09pmQuote:Samurai Jack avatar!
Sorry you aren't impressed with your skullca-I mean Astro headphones, but that is consistent with Mad Lust Envy's experience and others. Keep the Mixamp, of course. Is it hooked up via optical cable? If you can try the Q701 before you buy, especially plugged into the Mixamp for Dolby Headphone, I bet you'll be impressed. I absolutely love my Q701s, every day this past week the first thing I do after work is kick off my shoes and listen to my Q's ^___^post #6575 of 372867/25/12 at 4:14pmThread StarterNah, I bought them ($15 total off the Hifiman website).
Seriously, I haven't been this impressed by a headphone since the HE-4. The D7000 as amazing as it was (and it's still my fave sound), was initially warmer than I wanted. I grew to love them. The HE400 is just took off in a mad sprint.
I think these are definitely what I consider reference. They define all-rounder. The DT880, Q701, DT990, HE-4 don't stand a chance.
The HE-4 had similar bass, less mids, and more treble. The HE400s treble is what I consider PERFECT. Seriously. the HE-4 was extra sparkly (which I love as well), but technically, the HE400 is definitely the better can.
As nice and full bodied as the Q701 was... the HE400 adds even more excitement and body. It's insane.
I don't think the HE400 will be as good with competitive gaming, and the soundstage is definitely smaller, but it should definitely best the Q701 in fun, as well as in music.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 7/25/12 at 4:15pmpost #6576 of 372867/25/12 at 4:16pmpost #6577 of 372867/25/12 at 4:22pmThread Starterpost #6578 of 372867/25/12 at 4:25pmpost #6579 of 372867/25/12 at 4:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by Evshrug
Samurai Jack avatar!
Sorry you aren't impressed with your skullca-I mean Astro headphones, but that is consistent with Mad Lust Envy's experience and others. Keep the Mixamp, of course. Is it hooked up via optical cable? If you can try the Q701 before you buy, especially plugged into the Mixamp for Dolby Headphone, I bet you'll be impressed. I absolutely love my Q701s, every day this past week the first thing I do after work is kick off my shoes and listen to my Q's ^___^
Yeah it is hooked up via toslink optical cable to my computers onboard sound. Would I need a soundcard to get the full range out of the q701s? I will keep the mixamp but the A40 have got to go.post #6580 of 372867/25/12 at 4:31pmThread Starterpost #6581 of 372867/25/12 at 4:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy Okay, first listening test, WTF? I thought these were supposed to be easy to drive? My NFB-5 has never had to go the right side of the volume knob on Low Gain, even with the Q701. My knob is almost a 3 o' clock! Once I set it to high gain, it's down to around 11 o'clock. That's a surprise. I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is easy to drive. My NFB-5 has a crapton of power (something like 2.5 watts at 35ohm), so it's crazy just how much it needs on the pot.
Huh, my HE-500's don't even need 12 o'clock on low, don't remember how I had my NFB-5 set when I had the 400's though.
They leak so much because they essentially play both ways, even before any reflections the same amount of sound is sent out as is sent in.post #6582 of 372867/25/12 at 4:48pmThread StarterMy bad, maybe it was the first song I played. The Low Gain now is at about 1 o clock.
Honestly though, these headphones are just frigging amazing. What a surprise.
For those who love the Q701... the HE400 is an upgrade in every sense of the word, other than soundstage size.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 7/25/12 at 5:48pmpost #6583 of 372867/25/12 at 6:09pm
Any chance you'll review the HE-400 for gaming purposes?
I know it'll be too much for the Mixamp alone given your sensitivity statements, but I'm sure you have an additional amp that you could attach to it to drive the HE-400.post #6584 of 372867/25/12 at 6:11pmThread StarterApparently, the Mixamp will be able to power them alone. I haven't tested this yet, but you can bet every penny the HE400s are going to be put through the gaming ringer, even if I have to buy an amp. I was waiting on the ODA...post #6585 of 372867/25/12 at 6:16pm
I wonder if anyone will weigh on Astro's new A50. All-in-one for US$ 300: the A40's drivers, and the 5.8 system built into the headset. Not too shabby.
Are there any comparisons on it vs Razer's Chimaera 5.1?
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 (Wireless Noise Cancelling On-Ear... 51 seconds ago
- › The Woo Audio 2 1 minute ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 1 minute ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 "surround"? 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 4 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 4 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 5 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by ExpatinJapan
- › JLab Audio Epic2 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Sport Earbuds, GUARANTEED... by red71rum
- › Chord MoJo by snellemin
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Frank I
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by UncleGamer
- › HyperX Cloud Revolver Multi-platform E-Sports Gaming Wire Headset... by UncleGamer
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by HiFiChris
- › Vibro Labs Sera triple armature in-ear monitors by sq3rjick
- › Meze 12 Classics by Mightygrey
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones with Microphone and Remote... by glassmonkey
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear