- 16,375 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Thanks go to earphonia.com who were pleased to let me give the excellently valued Co-Donguri earphone a spin. Pairings Equipment Hidizs AP60 Chord Mojo Dac Intro My second IEM...
Kaiser Encore: Early impressions Please note: This review is posted only so I could share my (very) early impressions, as I know many are eager to hear about the latest Noble (co-) flagship....
Note: I have previously reviewed the K10 from Noble, where I covered much of Noble’s history and order process. For this reason, I will use some of the portions of that review that pertain to Noble...
Founded in 2014 in Guangzhou, China, Shinrico is a company focused on digital electronic products in the field of high-tech enterprises. Recently I reviewed their excellent D3S Digital...
For larger (1200x800) images, simply click any photoINTRODUCTIONAhhh – the portable amplifier – one of the audio enthusiast's more misunderstood tools / assets. For the beginner, there...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 427post #6391 of 374657/14/12 at 5:25pmThread StarterIts hard to pinpoint, but the Ultrasone's presentation of sound is a little different. I guess they tried to make it seem like the sound is coming from a bigger room, but it moved the detail further back. I'm just assuming though.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6392 of 374657/14/12 at 7:18pmpost #6393 of 374657/14/12 at 7:19pmThread Starterpost #6394 of 374657/14/12 at 7:42pmpost #6395 of 374657/14/12 at 10:15pmThread Starterpost #6396 of 374657/15/12 at 2:09amGot to try a pair of Sony XB500 at a graduation party today. It was pretty LOL. The pads were comfy and the bass was strong, but I think my $75 Crossfade LPs that I bought by accident were just as bassy without entirely losing most of the rest of the freq spectrum, less sweaty, and easier to live with. It's comparisons like that which make me consider keeping it for "special situations," but overall I feel similarly about the LP as you (Mad) feel about the Ultrasone 900.
I need to finish writing my Q701 review.post #6397 of 374657/15/12 at 12:38pm
So I couldn't wait for the AKG K550 to come back in stock since they were on back order. So I place two orders for the same price. :) A pair of CAL!s for when I need that bass kick, my mother is coming up in August so I was able to get her to bring them and some HM5s from MPnation. So I will be trying both with the mixamp and my E9/E17 setup. I sort of got both sides of the coin here I hope.post #6398 of 374657/16/12 at 5:41am
Hi everyone I read Mad Lust's review and I am having a hard time deciding which headphones would be the best for me.I was thinking on the Q701 but I just found out the they are open and not closed. I need a pair that are closed as where I will be gaming there is most of the time allot of background noise. I was looking to spend no more than $300 and while I will be mostly using them for PC gaming I would also like them to be good for hearing music also. I currently do not have any top of the line sound card or mix amp would I also need to get one to be able to get the best sound out of the headphones ? I am fairly new to all this so it would be great if someone could help me out.
P.S. Thanks Mad Lust for your reviews it really is the best place for gaming headphones reviews
Edited by dentnu - 7/16/12 at 5:45ampost #6399 of 374657/16/12 at 6:36am
I am not suggesting just pointing in a direction to start reading,
Even more closed sounding not necessarily more isolating.
Koss DJ100 with M50 pads
Tockdweller (Sorry for the spelling) has had some success with dolby headphone with these cans.
I would say the Fischer Audio FA-03/Yoga/Lindy/Digitech/Jaycar variant but until I have heard mine I am not even thinking of recommending it I still can't find any info of anyone trying it with dolby or cmss.post #6400 of 374657/16/12 at 7:09am
Ultrasone Pro 900 isolates well :
,,Isolation: I know I haven't done this with any other headphone, but that's usually because I prefer open headphones, which don't isolate well at all. Because the Pro 900 IS closed, I feel it necessary to mention how well it does. I feel that it keeps outside noises out well enough (certainly leaps and bounds better than the D7000), and does incredibly well keeping sound from leaking out, even with it's velour pads."post #6401 of 374657/16/12 at 10:09am
Hey guys, what would be a better choice for virtual surround + headphones for gaming?
1) Get a JVC / asto mixamp
2) Get a 7.1 receiver from 2005 with some dolby virtual surround/ virtualization feature?
How do 7.1 HT receivers usually perform for headphones?post #6402 of 374657/16/12 at 10:22amQuote:
1) Mixamp, I believe the JVC is very difficult to find.
2) Hmm gives you a ton more options down the road and you could use it with a PC, PS3, Xbox, TV without having to play the swap the optical game. Not sure of the sound quality of amps though.post #6403 of 374657/16/12 at 10:27ampost #6404 of 374657/16/12 at 11:46ampost #6405 of 374657/16/12 at 12:06pmQuote:
A mixamp is probably the easiest way then. You can go the DSS route but it can get complicated with buying an extra adapter. But you may start like I did with an A40 setup. Next thing you know you have tons of money in multiple sets of headphones and headphone amps chained your mixamp, and wires all over the place.
What makes it all worth it is "Hey there is an group of enemies behind us." Sure enough a min or two later a group of whatever will walk over that hill or through that door and your friends reply with how did you know? Happened again just this weekend in Iron Brigade. In Left for Dead 2 I was put on scout duty, same with Dead Island. That game leaves you a tad scatter brained though because you can hear zombies from every which way. Awesome and terrifying.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › The begging of the end. A noob's journey into madness. 7 seconds ago
- › Sony XBA-300 Impressions & Discussion Thread 19 seconds ago
- › FS: Lotoo PAW 5000 35 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 2 minutes ago
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 2 minutes ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 2 minutes ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 3 minutes ago
- › DX200 The style has been chosen by your votes. Details of design... 3 minutes ago
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by Takeanidea
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Sorensiim
- › Noble Audio Katana by cvbcbcmv
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear