or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 420

post #6286 of 37456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


No kidding. I have a 65" TV that I use for gaming, but CoD just looks too damn big on it, and I have to sit considerably further on my bed than I normally do for everything else. Speaking of, I'm about to0 do my BLOPS test with the Pro 900.
edit: WTF? That 1st, 15th, 20th track on the CD that came with the Pro 900s sounds like binaural! AWESOME!

Yup i have a 32" tv and the only thing i can play on it is madden, 2k and some single player games.

 

The asus monitor is one of the best gaming monitors out(MLG used it in 2011). Supper fast response time and almost no input lag+ beautiful picture 


Edited by Jay 23 - 7/10/12 at 7:46pm
post #6287 of 37456
Thread Starter 
Another clarification: The Pro 900's bass does not bleed into the midrange pretty much at all. It's quite a feat. That bass is anything BUT sloppy. They are sounding better and better the longer I listen to them. Ear burn in. biggrin.gif

The mids are sounding less recessed too. I doubt anything changed in the headphone, but perhaps it's just me getting used to the sound presentation.

If anyone has spare Ultrasone gray pads, I'm willing to trade my black spares.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 7/10/12 at 8:24pm
post #6288 of 37456

That Ultrasone demo cd has some great recordings and a good aid for demoing headphones. I personally just ripped it into flac just so I can access it easier.

post #6289 of 37456
Thread Starter 
Yeah, i ripped it too. Gotta love how companies deceive with sound quality, as if making those binaural tracks seem like it's S-logic's doing.
post #6290 of 37456

Looks like Beyer pads would fit.  Man, what happened to Ultrasone's grey pads?  Weird.  

post #6291 of 37456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

 Gotta love how companies deceive with sound quality, as if making those binaural tracks seem like it's S-logic's doing.

 

I think a fair amount of people think that about Astro too.  They think Astro's headsets are "surround sound" headsets, and the mixamp just mixes chat.  I helped another buddy get a mixamp recently and he was concerned that without the A40s he wouldn't get surround sound.  He was confused when I told him it worked with any pair of headphones, not just Astro phones.

 

confused_face.gif

post #6292 of 37456
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

I've only briefly tried silent cinema, but it didn't impress me as much as dolby headphone.  Supposedly you can tweak it though.  The reciever I tried it on was very entry level as well.


I started with the E10, then got the got the E9.  Later I sold the E9 and got the M-stage.  I wasn't concerned that the E9 wasn't enough power or anything.  I new I was going to get an HRT Music Streamer II DAC, and I read on Head-fi that the HRT MS II output voltage was higher than the E9s input voltage and would cause clipping.  So I wanted to offload the E9 before I got the HRT MS II and I chose to get the M-stage to replace it.

Hmm, something to ponder. The Music Streamer II has popped up a few times and I assume is quite popular. For me, with a 5th Gen iPod big enough for my entire digital music library, Xbox, MacBook Pro, and a hackintosh as my sources, I don't foresee advantages over a more conventional DAC. But maybe once I test out my Yamaha once I move in and if I find it lacking my assessment might change. I hope not, as the Yamaha would be a more versatile and streamlined setup, and you (I) can't get everything you want. Doesn't the M-Stage USB have it's own DAC anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C View Post

It might be possible to connect one direct to your Xbox controller--you'll likely need a 3.5mm-to-2.5mm convertor that is also stereo-to-mono. I'm not sure about specifics though, so don't go buying anything just based on what I'm saying.
Evshrug, how do you connect your mic to the Xbox?
Honestly? I just have a platronics X10 headset plugged directly into my controller, with the headband ringing my neck and the mic sticking up towards my mouth. LOL. Of course, the mic position isn't perfect when worn this way. Usually, chat = recreational gaming, because I'm often paying more attention to the chat, joking around and talking louder than the game audio. I'm not the best at comprehending speech when other things get too loud, I get distracted by one or the other if the context doesn't match. I'm a fan of the X10 as even though it costs less than the MS mic headset, the X10's mic pickup is much better and I'm only on my second pair in my 7 years of Xbox 360 ownership.

Before I saw MLE's suggestion for the clip-on, I was considering the Platronics MX150 headset because I reasoned I could fasten that in a good position and use it double-duty with my cellphone. It should work without any adapters. http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-MX150-Flexible-Boom-Headset/dp/B0000ALPBP/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I would recommend going for the Mini Clip-on mic Mad Lust Envy posted recently, though the 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter you would need is going to cost another dollar. Theoretically, this one should work, because the clip-on mic has the same 3 sections on it's plug: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FV8/ref=gno_cart_title_2

Mics are troublesome.
Edited by Evshrug - 7/11/12 at 12:24am
post #6293 of 37456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


Honestly? I just have a platronics X10 headset plugged directly into my controller, with the headband ringing my neck and the mic sticking up towards my mouth. 

^5, that's how I used my Xbox headset too. 

 

Btw have you tried adjusting game volume down in the Xbox sys. prefs.? It helps a little.

post #6294 of 37456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C View Post

^5, that's how I used my Xbox headset too. 

Btw have you tried adjusting game volume down in the Xbox sys. prefs.? It helps a little.
Yeah, a lot, but I think I over did it because I thought the game volume would be constant if I changed the balance. This is not so, and my game audio is almost muted now when people talk and then the game volume shoots back up if they ever shaddap (lol). I've just been too lazy or focusing on other things to adjust it more.
I bet I could achieve a higher mic/game ratio as a constant if I went into a game's options--> audio and turned down the volume there while turning up the system volume, but then I would have to do that with each game I want to chat with (even party chat I think) and I'd want to change it back when I want to use my speakers. Maybe I have that all mixed up right now (it's 4:30am for me, got up this morning at 7! What's wrong with me?), but still it proves the convenience of the Mixamp's game/chat volume live mixer dial. I already switch between chat-audio-through-speaker and -through-headset more often than I like.


(Silent Cinema may be awesome Silent Cinema may be awesome Silent Cinema may be enough...)

O_O
post #6295 of 37456

Eh, I dunno if that will help that much. That's why I got a MixAmp too.

post #6296 of 37456
O_______o
post #6297 of 37456

Oops sorry I meant adjusting the mic/in-game/system audio. No idea about Silent Cinema.

post #6298 of 37456
Oh actually I read it the way you intended, the hollow expression is a combination of my fatigue and my effort to resist buying a Mixamp in the face of the numerous recommendations.
post #6299 of 37456
Great thread, I just received my astro mixamp and zalman mic today and I'm using it with the HD595 and I love it! Because last year I didn't found this thread with all the information(searched in the wrong section on headfi xD) I bought the Tritton's AXPRO but those things really hurt my ears after an hour and were so heavy and uncomfortable.

Will probably also buy the Antlion MODMIC with mute button when it is released! Check out this tweet:
Quote:
ModMic 2.0, near complete. ~2 months until on sale. Thicker cable, many improvements. Still sleek. Same sound. Mute button coming in ~3 mo. https://twitter.com/AntLionAudio/status/222823874738397184

Edited by SpaceCake - 7/11/12 at 12:52pm
post #6300 of 37456

Solely in terms of pure performance as a competitive FPS headphone (no music/entertainment duties), would you say the AD700 or the HD595 performs better?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)