or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 411

post #6151 of 37296

I asked "still" because he made the guide a little while back, but he probably edits it as he needs to. I ask questions. Too many? Probably, but hey, I really can't help it. I'll back off soon. Yes his guide is informative, but its not pages upon pages per headphone (that would be ridiculous and is not expected). I'm used to having less than common opinions and desires, so I have got to test to see if we are really on the same page about what to expect. I appreciate your advice Evshrug. I do, and I will probably be testing a bunch of cans, but in my free time, when this is on my mind, I'd like to jump on a forum and talk to people with similar interests. MLE is the bomb. All people willing to share their experiences to help out others are very much appreciated.

 

I've decided the best scenario that depicts the experience I am desiring is of that demonstrated by sitting in a bar in Fallout 3 (Moriarty's Saloon if you know it) and being able to hear the radio with its old time tunes and static interference (ever so often smacked by Gob when experience more than normal static) with customers and workers alike walking around and participating in drab conversation. I desire to know the location of the radio and people within the room and to hear it as though I were there in those dark times and not as though I am experiencing this situation through a pair of headphones. This may sound like an obvious desire, but it excites me to paint this picture. I want to hear the depth of the Sheriffs voice and feel the impact of grenades and mini-nukes in VATS as raider and mutants scream for their lives in slow motion. I want to roam the wastleland with the Pip Boy's radio dialed into GNR and Three Dog's crazy support to "fighting the good fight". I play other games, but if a headphone fits this bill, it will serve just fine in all likely scenarios I am to experience. 


Edited by crzycuyler - 7/5/12 at 2:14pm
post #6152 of 37296
Thread Starter 
I haven't tested Fallout 3. Keep in mind some games do surround sound better than others. Fallout 3 may be bad at positional cues, so make sure to test as many games as you're able.
post #6153 of 37296
Crzycuyler,
True, what good is a forum if there is no discussion. I forgot that Gob would smack the radio, and for some reason the mini-nukes never worked well for me in VATS, but overall I get exactly what you mean. When I was a kid, I used to play Myst before I even realized it was a puzzle game, and I would just explore to find new views for as long as I was allowed to play.

I'm not trying to be mean, I think I had just reached a point where I felt your questions were anything but unusual - what is the perfect headphone you would recommend - and that you weren't counting/considering the advice already given. That probably is really just you trying to make SURE you'll be getting what you want... Again, a process I am very familiar with. 

Now, I'm going to assume you've been thinking about this for a while, probably since before Fallout 3 was released. So, take my advice to make a decision based on this perspective: If you have the means, and you know you'll enjoy an elevated experience, then you're only denying yourself the pleasure by waiting.

If you have best buy discounts, and don't already own an Astro Mixamp or other device with Dolby Headphone, then you may want to buy one of the Tritton AX720 since it comes with a decent dolby headphone surround sound decoder (so it's like you get a closed headset for free), and at least an open headphone to compare. I don't think Astro products (i.e. the Mixamp) are sold at best buy, so the AX720, the turtle beach DSS, and maybe a Receiver or two with Dolby Headphone decoding built in would be your only choices. I don't think you can go wrong starting with the AX720, a Creative Aurvana Live!, and a Sennheiser HD555 or HD558. You should feel very immersed with those options, but you'll see if you try them if you need to go beyond.

I have played Fallout 3 till I finished almost every side quest and Easter egg, though I can't speak specifically to it's surround mix quality. I was using stereo back then. Even so, fallout 3, Oblivion, and Skyrim do put a lot of emphasis on sound quality, and after hearing people describe how they can hear the direction and distance of an NPC carrying a torch in Oblivion, I think the audio will impress when hooked up to good equipment. Maybe you can contribute back to this thread with your impressions wink.gif
post #6154 of 37296

Deleted


Edited by crzycuyler - 7/5/12 at 5:44pm
post #6155 of 37296
Thread Starter 
The PC360 and MMX300 are two very well received headsets. For the sake of immersion though, I can't guarantee you'll be pleased with either though.
post #6156 of 37296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Crzycuyler,
True, what good is a forum if there is no discussion. I forgot that Gob would smack the radio, and for some reason the mini-nukes never worked well for me in VATS, but overall I get exactly what you mean. When I was a kid, I used to play Myst before I even realized it was a puzzle game, and I would just explore to find new views for as long as I was allowed to play.
I'm not trying to be mean, I think I had just reached a point where I felt your questions were anything but unusual - what is the perfect headphone you would recommend - and that you weren't counting/considering the advice already given. That probably is really just you trying to make SURE you'll be getting what you want... Again, a process I am very familiar with. 
Now, I'm going to assume you've been thinking about this for a while, probably since before Fallout 3 was released. So, take my advice to make a decision based on this perspective: If you have the means, and you know you'll enjoy an elevated experience, then you're only denying yourself the pleasure by waiting.
If you have best buy discounts, and don't already own an Astro Mixamp or other device with Dolby Headphone, then you may want to buy one of the Tritton AX720 since it comes with a decent dolby headphone surround sound decoder (so it's like you get a closed headset for free), and at least an open headphone to compare. I don't think Astro products (i.e. the Mixamp) are sold at best buy, so the AX720, the turtle beach DSS, and maybe a Receiver or two with Dolby Headphone decoding built in would be your only choices. I don't think you can go wrong starting with the AX720, a Creative Aurvana Live!, and a Sennheiser HD555 or HD558. You should feel very immersed with those options, but you'll see if you try them if you need to go beyond.
I have played Fallout 3 till I finished almost every side quest and Easter egg, though I can't speak specifically to it's surround mix quality. I was using stereo back then. Even so, fallout 3, Oblivion, and Skyrim do put a lot of emphasis on sound quality, and after hearing people describe how they can hear the direction and distance of an NPC carrying a torch in Oblivion, I think the audio will impress when hooked up to good equipment. Maybe you can contribute back to this thread with your impressions wink.gif

My reason for delay is that I will be building a gaming computer in the Fall/Winter. I will very likely grab a soundcard that has DH. I have heard from almost everyone to stay away from gaming headsets so I am curious as to what your thoughts are about them? I have experience with speakers, so I am not new to the audio world. I just never got into headphones until recently. I would like to get some cans that are great for movies and music as well as gaming. The HD558 gets good reviews.

post #6157 of 37296
Thread Starter 
Never mind*

In any case, I don't think any of the Sennheisers have enough life in them to be considered great for all forms of gaming. They're great at being well balanced, detailed, and general purpose cans, but won't ever wow in anything other than soundstage and positioning.

Think of them as a jack of most trades, though not a master of anything.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 7/5/12 at 5:47pm
post #6158 of 37296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

The HD558 isn't a headset. o_O

I'm not saying it is. I am just saying from what he wrote, that recommendation may make sense to me.

post #6159 of 37296
Thread Starter 
Yeah, I edited that. I misunderstood at first. I added quite a bit to that last post.
post #6160 of 37296

I had the thread open in multiple tabs and had some out of order replies. I get what you are saying about the Sennheisers. 

post #6161 of 37296
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycuyler View Post

My reason for delay is that I will be building a gaming computer in the Fall/Winter. I will very likely grab a soundcard that has DH. I have heard from almost everyone to stay away from gaming headsets so I am curious as to what your thoughts are about them? I have experience with speakers, so I am not new to the audio world. I just never got into headphones until recently. I would like to get some cans that are great for movies and music as well as gaming. The HD558 gets good reviews.

Re: headsets,
Well overall Mad Lust Envy has a greater breadth of experience than me, but yeah, generally gamer headsets plateau at a pretty average sound quality and are hard to justify at their added cost for convenience (particularly ones for consoles, I imagine going over $100 is a hard sell for people buying a $300 gaming machine). Brand and perceived quality is key for headset makers, I think looks are another item leveraged. Of course, there ARE some exceptions in a growing niché market, especially for PC Gamers. I think TheNamelessOne has a good guide here on Headfi for pc gaming headphones, there's also a decent round up of pc gaming headsets on TomsHardware.com. MLE gave a pretty strong praise for the PC360 from Sennheiser (they're like HD598 with a boom mic, right?) and I've read good things about the Beyerdynamic MMX300, but I have 0 personal head-time with those.

Re: Suggestions,
I did suggest you try the tritton AX720 despite them being gamer headsets and for consoles, but that was mostly so you get the DH processor and a set of closed headphones to think of as a "baseline" for headphone sound. Then, I recommended the HD558, despite not having personal head-time, just because of the wealth of positive reviews as an open can and the value proposition if you look up how to mod them to sound like the more expensive HD598. I also think the Creative Aurvana Live! (CAL!) is a closed headset of great value, and even cheaper than the rest. I think, if you had all three, you would learn what headphone sound can be all about... The rest is about eeking out just a little better performance in a few areas. You'll already be experiencing sound much more detailed and attention-grabbing than speakers costing twice as much. Keep your fav and use it with (I assume) the device you are already playing Fallout 3 on, return or sell the rest. You may even feel content with your choice well after you build your gaming rig, and if you get an upgrade itch you'll have been introduced to what you can expect from the different manufacturers or what new features are worth getting excited about.

With that said, I thoroughly have been enjoying my AD700s for over three years. I think my girlfriend gets jealous sometimes, LOL!
post #6162 of 37296
Thread Starter 
The PC360 is like an HD595 with a boom mic, not the HD598. The HD598 is superior in clarity and detail. Also, the HD558 modded doesn't sound exactly like the Hd598. It sounds better than the stock 558, but not as good as the HD598. This isn't like the old 555 into the 595 mod. The 558 and 598 have a different internal design, which will never make the 558 sound like the 598. This is what I've read who have tried a modded 558 AND 598.
post #6163 of 37296
Actually, if you felt like skipping the AX720, the Turtle Beach DSS (the original, not the DSS2) is sold stand-alone, and you can hook it up to your PC's S/PIDF jack for digital to analogue conversion (like an external sound card) when not using it with your console. I don't know how it compares in sound quality to the Mixamp... just that it doesn't offer a live chat:game volume mix control. Chat volume just scales up when game volume gets loud, if I'm reading Turtle Beach's literature correctly.

Hmm, I may even pick up a used one myself to use for DH when I don't want to/can't use my Receiver...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

The PC360 is like an HD595 with a boom mic, not the HD598. The HD598 is superior in clarity and detail. Also, the HD558 modded doesn't sound exactly like the Hd598. It sounds better than the stock 558, but not as good as the HD598. This isn't like the old 555 into the 595 mod. The 558 and 598 have a different internal design, which will never make the 558 sound like the 598. This is what I've read who have tried a modded 558 AND 598.

I read a few people who said they did manage almost similar performance, in this thread I think even, but who knows if they actually compared the two models side by side? In any rate, I DID say I don't have personal experience with either, not my sound preference.
Edited by Evshrug - 7/5/12 at 7:18pm
post #6164 of 37296
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Actually, if you felt like skipping the AX720, the Turtle Beach DSS (the original, not the DSS2) is sold stand-alone, and you can hook it up to your PC's S/PIDF jack for digital to analogue conversion (like an external sound card) when not using it with your console. I don't know how it compares in sound quality to the Mixamp... just that it doesn't offer a live chat:game volume mix control. Chat volume just scales up when game volume gets loud, if I'm reading Turtle Beach's literature correctly.
Hmm, I may even pick up a used one myself to use for DH when I don't want to/can't use my Receiver...

The DSS is more hissy than the AX720 and the Mixamp, which can be a dealbreaker to some. With very sensitive headphones, it's pretty audible during quite scenes in games.

In order of least hissy, to most:

Mixamp Pro/Wired
Mixamp 5.8
AX720
DSS

I haven't heard the DSS2, but that doesn't use Dolby Headphone. I'd like to try and compare it to the Mixamp some day.

I vaguely remember that the AX720 is ALWAYS hissy, even when volume is turned all the way down. The Mixamp 5.8 is hissy once you reach really loud decibel levels, and a non-issue with moderate volume levels to slightly loud. the Mixamp Pro is pretty silent compared to the rest, and very minute hiss can be heard when the volume is maxed out. So basically, it's pretty damn quiet for the what it is.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 7/5/12 at 7:21pm
post #6165 of 37296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Actually, if you felt like skipping the AX720, the Turtle Beach DSS (the original, not the DSS2) is sold stand-alone, and you can hook it up to your PC's S/PIDF jack for digital to analogue conversion (like an external sound card) when not using it with your console. I don't know how it compares in sound quality to the Mixamp... just that it doesn't offer a live chat:game volume mix control. Chat volume just scales up when game volume gets loud, if I'm reading Turtle Beach's literature correctly.
Hmm, I may even pick up a used one myself to use for DH when I don't want to/can't use my Receiver...
 
I read a few people who said they did manage almost similar performance, in this thread I think even, but who knows if they actually compared the two models side by side? In any rate, I DID say I don't have personal experience with either, not my sound preference.

 

Just bear in mind that the sound card in the PC will determine whether you're feeding a 5.1 signal to the DSS. If the sound card wasn't built to output/process that, you won't end up with virtual surround on the headphones.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)