or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 408

post #6106 of 37362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


You really ought to read the first post, it is up to date and explains a lot. I was saying "Fun" vs. "Competitive." Many things can make gaming immersive, sound and directional soun is part of a greater whole. So you're partly right. Some of it is personal preference, like in my case I think it's cool when you hear a sound that you aren't sure came from the headphone or something in your room. To others immersion = exciting sound, where things are boosted and the visual/audio special effects are impossible to ignore.
Skyrim and Fallout are about as "Immersive" as games get presently, though I would say Starcraft and Diablo are definitely competitive games (even if you're just competing with the game). What kind of headphones do you have now? Have you experienced Dolby Headphone to simulate surround sound, and does that interest you? Are you looking to buy new headphones? What is your price budget? You may be able to get more immersive sound by buying something other than a new headphone, and all the info on the first page of this thread (starting with the Astro Mixamp, though I use my receiver for Dolby Headphone) is the best place to start narrowing things down.
The Denon D7000 usually retails for about $1000 US, for your information.

 

I do not yet have any headphones. I own speakers and am looking to get into headphones now. I have access to incredible discounts on many popular headphones due to my job. I am planing on building a computer in the Fall/Winter. I have not experienced Dolby Headphone. Although StarCraft and Diablo are competitive, they does not require directional queues. The Elder Scrolls and Fallout series thrill me and I want to get the best balance of soundstage (directional queues) and a flat enough response that details are not left out of most any frequency. I want bass, but not so much that it dilutes any other frequencies. From the little I've read, I am led to believe that the D7000 has excellent bass depth but does not overpower. Nonetheless, I am still in the beginning stages of this process.

post #6107 of 37362

Thanks I think I'm going to go with the HD598. I'm not planning to get another amp and I'm just going to stick with the Tritton AX720 decoder box. So the HD598 fits the bill. 

post #6108 of 37362
Well, hopefully your job allows for deep discounts on amps too, because they become more and more of a benefit as you pick higher-tier headphones. If you want to jump straight to the top of the line, the Audize LCD3 paired with an exotic amp is probably the best out there, and yet still a bargain compared to a high-end speaker set-up.

Still, even if money is no object it is probably wise to start out with a couple mid-Fi headphones so you can get a feel for your personal sound preferences, and find out if your hearing is healthy enough to merit the subtle differences from going higher. Also, consider how often you'd use the headphones for gaming, if you'd want to use them during commutes, and if you might be better with two headphones for different purposes. I'd say try the mid-Fi faves around here, get a pair of Ad700 for gaming (these were my main headphones for general purpose for 2 years, they ARE really good), perhaps a Grado SR60i, and a V-MODA M-80 or a Creative Aurvana Live! headphone to get a feel for the portable closed headphone experience.

Those four are a great sampling of what you can expect from headphones, and will teach you what matters the most to you. The V-MODAs are probably the least necessary of the four, but they are also the best out of those for portable use.
post #6109 of 37362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Well, hopefully your job allows for deep discounts on amps too, because they become more and more of a benefit as you pick higher-tier headphones. If you want to jump straight to the top of the line, the Audize LCD3 paired with an exotic amp is probably the best out there, and yet still a bargain compared to a high-end speaker set-up.
Still, even if money is no object it is probably wise to start out with a couple mid-Fi headphones so you can get a feel for your personal sound preferences, and find out if your hearing is healthy enough to merit the subtle differences from going higher. Also, consider how often you'd use the headphones for gaming, if you'd want to use them during commutes, and if you might be better with two headphones for different purposes. I'd say try the mid-Fi faves around here, get a pair of Ad700 for gaming (these were my main headphones for general purpose for 2 years, they ARE really good), perhaps a Grado SR60i, and a V-MODA M-80 or a Creative Aurvana Live! headphone to get a feel for the portable closed headphone experience.
Those four are a great sampling of what you can expect from headphones, and will teach you what matters the most to you. The V-MODAs are probably the least necessary of the four, but they are also the best out of those for portable use.

 

How about the Audio Technica A900X? I can get discounts on headphones sold at Best Buy and Magnolia (the stand alone stores with higher end equipment).

post #6110 of 37362

crzycuyler, what's stopping you from going for some of the more established setups? Instead of taking a risk on cans that haven't been talked up, like the K550 and the A900x?

post #6111 of 37362
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycuyler View Post

How about the Audio Technica A900X? I can get discounts on headphones sold at Best Buy and Magnolia (the stand alone stores with higher end equipment).

Hmmm, seems like you want to take advantage of your employment, but don't really know all that much about headphones. I'm going to assume Magnolia isn't your department, and that you really don't want to read page 1 of this thread. However, I still firmly believe you ought to read the first post on this thread, understand the difference between open and closed headphones, read the first post of the thread, and make your own choice. After you read the good subject-relevant info on the first post.

Best Buy's limited selection of headphones will narrow your choices, so less for you to consider and research - I bet you'll end up with a Sennheiser, which is perfectly respectable. You'll also probably want a turtle beach DSS dongle or a receiver with the Dolby Headphone feature for virtual surround, as well as providing juice and volume control for the headphones.

Good luck and hopefully have fun. Read the first post.
Edited by Evshrug - 7/2/12 at 8:47pm
post #6112 of 37362

Just keep in mind that all the headphones reviewed in the first post are reviews based on its performance when paired with Dolby Headphone.


Edited by calpis - 7/2/12 at 8:29pm
post #6113 of 37362
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post


Yes.  The day I got my Q701s I put my AD700s up for sale.  I was holding on to the AD700s because they were special to me (my first audiophile headphones!), but after I heard the Q701 I knew I would never listen to the AD700 again.  The Q701s have less soundstage width, but they do everything else better and have infinitely more bass and fullness.


I notice that, besides the Mixamp, you have the Matrix M-Audio and E10 amps. Mad Lust Envy has an E9. I've also read good things about the Objective2 amp. Do you have any suggestions or wishlists to amp the Q701 with?

I've heard that the FiiO E9 headphone jacks have a reputation for coming loose or shorting, and the iE9 version for docking iPods is especially flimsy. Any truth/weight to those rumors from anyone's perspectives?
post #6114 of 37362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


I notice that, besides the Mixamp, you have the Matrix M-Audio and E10 amps. Mad Lust Envy has an E9. I've also read good things about the Objective2 amp. Do you have any suggestions or wishlists to amp the Q701 with?
I've heard that the FiiO E9 headphone jacks have a reputation for coming loose or shorting, and the iE9 version for docking iPods is especially flimsy. Any truth/weight to those rumors from anyone's perspectives?

 

The Matrix M-stage isn't made by M-Audio biggrin.gif

 

The E9 and O2 are both good amps and both nicely priced.  I enjoyed the E9 while I had it. 

 

You may want to make sure you want their more neutral signature first.  Personally I think the Q701s pair nicer with a slightly warm solid state amp (like the M-stage).  It's not like solid state amps differ that much, but most people seem to prefer less neutral amps with the Q701s.  More neutral amps like the E9 and O2 may make them seem brighter or thinner. 


Edited by chicolom - 7/2/12 at 11:33pm
post #6115 of 37362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


Hmmm, seems like you want to take advantage of your employment, but don't really know all that much about headphones. I'm going to assume Magnolia isn't your department, and that you really don't want to read page 1 of this thread. However, I still firmly believe you ought to read the first post on this thread, understand the difference between open and closed headphones, read the first post of the thread, and make your own choice. After you read the good subject-relevant info on the first post.
Best Buy's limited selection of headphones will narrow your choices, so less for you to consider and research - I bet you'll end up with a Sennheiser, which is perfectly respectable. You'll also probably want a turtle beach DSS dongle or a receiver with the Dolby Headphone feature for virtual surround, as well as providing juice and volume control for the headphones.
Good luck and hopefully have fun. Read the first post.

 

I actually did work in Magnolia because I was one of the product knowledgeable associates, but I transferred out because I can't stand sales. We also didn't carry any reasonable headphones until recently. I don't want to upset people by announcing prices, but we are talking about some significant discounts. I've read some very good and bad things about both the A900X and the K550. I can also get ahold of a unique assortment of headphones like the Audio Techinica W1000X, Denon D7000, and HD800 as well as some of the lower priced options mentioned. Unless convinced otherwise, I want to play it safe with budget. I know the differences between open and closed headphones, but I lean towards closed because everything makes noise in my apartment, and I want to be fully absorbed in another world when I put on a pair of headphones. My AC, room mates, and neighbors make enough noise. I am not experienced enough to know if by playing at reasonable volumes I may drown them all out, but at quiet moments in games, wouldn't a disruption be unavoidable? 

post #6116 of 37362
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycuyler View Post

 

I actually did work in Magnolia because I was one of the product knowledgeable associates, but I transferred out because I can't stand sales. We also didn't carry any reasonable headphones until recently. I don't want to upset people by announcing prices, but we are talking about some significant discounts. I've read some very good and bad things about both the A900X and the K550. I can also get ahold of a unique assortment of headphones like the Audio Techinica W1000X, Denon D7000, and HD800 as well as some of the lower priced options mentioned. Unless convinced otherwise, I want to play it safe with budget. I know the differences between open and closed headphones, but I lean towards closed because everything makes noise in my apartment, and I want to be fully absorbed in another world when I put on a pair of headphones. My AC, room mates, and neighbors make enough noise. I am not experienced enough to know if by playing at reasonable volumes I may drown them all out, but at quiet moments in games, wouldn't a disruption be unavoidable? 

yup you are in the same boat as me. I love my DT990s and I did love the Q701 but they are completely unusable in my environment and tiny apartment. At least you have the option of trying the K550 and A900X I have to play Russian roulette with headphones and eat high shipping costs if I don't like them. I am kinda jealous that is all I am saying.:) This is why like you I ask way to many questions at times.

post #6117 of 37362

I just got the Ultrasone PRO 550s in the mail... and they're very high quality. The biggest drawback is the unfortunate super short length of the packaged cord. It does come with a longer one, but with a 6mm jack and no adapter. A bit annoying, but it can be fixed via a quick order online ;)

 

I'll have to spend sometime with these. They sound better in some cases, as I feel the mids are better than even the Q701s ( so far ) and of course its got more bass. However, I'm leaning towards some of that bass being too 'artifical'. More as I test...


Edited by Mehdi - 7/3/12 at 12:54pm
post #6118 of 37362
Thread Starter 
Aren't they two very different sounding headphones? You can't compare a very bass/treble oriented headphone to a very balanced headphone. It's not fair to either headphone. It's just based off pure preference of sound signature.
post #6119 of 37362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Aren't they two very different sounding headphones? You can't compare a very bass/treble oriented headphone to a very balanced headphone. It's not fair to either headphone. It's just based off pure preference of sound signature.

Which is very much why I'm comparing them, in relation to how well they fit me as my one pair of headphones which I'll be owning for years. 

post #6120 of 37362

I have read many times that the K550s sound very similar to the Q701. If this is true, then they are a likely candidate. I am considering an open set, as well, despite my living conditions. How do the HD650s hold up when gaming? I need a set that can handle games, movies, and music.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)