- 16,394 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
Used Schiit Modi & Magni with car sim racing game with Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. Unfortunately, Modi died after 2+ years. Was hoping Schiit would cover Modi under warranty since it died just 2...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 403post #6031 of 379256/29/12 at 7:34pmThread StarterAnd I'm telling you, for me they'd slip and slide all over the place, considering I plug/unplug all manner of cables on a regular basis.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6032 of 379256/29/12 at 7:50pmpost #6033 of 379256/29/12 at 7:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
I've already been told the O2 does move. A strong enough nudge will make it slide around. The O2 weighs less than the E9, and I don't like that the E9 is lightweight and itself moves around, even with feet. The O2 is only about 66% of the E9's weight, so yeah. No thanks. In comparison, the Lyr weighs 7 lbs, and my NFB5 weighs 11 lbs. That's what I want in a set it and forget it desktop amp that won't move around when cleaning around it, plugging in cables, etc.
Not even the Asgard has enough power for the HE-4. Nothing less than something like the EF-5 or Schiit Lyr. The HE-4 will get loud out of even the E9, but it's pathetic sounding in comparison. Don't bother with the HE-4 unless you plan on getting something incredibly potent. I think in terms of cheaper amps, the NFB12 has a ton of power, though I can't be sure it's enough to make the HE-4 shine. SQ isn't just based off power alone... and the NFB5 has the same exact power specs as the NFB12, with different, high quality internals. However, the NFB5 cost me almost as much as the Lyr, after all was said and done (though it's a DAC/AMP).
That said, most headphone amps like the Asgard should work fine for practically any other headphone including the easier to drive HE400 and HE500. The HE-4 is an older model ortho which required an illogical amount of power.
From what I been told, the MStage is better than the Asgard in pretty much all regards for that price. For the price range, the NFB12 is also a candidate, with more power than either of those, though not necessarily better quality.
Yea the Matrix M-Stage is a great amp, I had one and used it with my DT880 pro-250, Even when I went back to a STX. Since I went back to a STX I in up selling it to use the money on something else.But I enjoyed my Matrix M-Stage very much as well as changing the op-amps inside it.post #6034 of 379256/29/12 at 8:05pmpost #6035 of 379256/29/12 at 8:35pm
That was my reaction as well. Unfortunately, I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of bad news from employers. When I left Magnolia, I was told I could either take a paycut or they'd pay me 6 months to find another job. So I can see why MLE would want to. Still a sad thing to consider though. I'd hate to give up mine.post #6036 of 379256/29/12 at 8:44pmThread StarterYou guys know I love them. I just hardly use them. I hardly use my D7000 too. It'd probably be smarter to sell both, and get just get like the Pro 900 for bass heavy stuff, and like the HE400 for the other stuff. I don't find the Pro 2900 less comfy than the D7000, so I'm sure the Pro 900 would be fine. I really just am fed up with non velour pads.
But honestly, it'd take a lot to give up my D7000.post #6037 of 379256/29/12 at 11:23pmpost #6038 of 379256/30/12 at 12:38amQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
You guys know I love them. I just hardly use them. I hardly use my D7000 too. It'd probably be smarter to sell both, and get just get like the Pro 900 for bass heavy stuff, and like the HE400 for the other stuff. I don't find the Pro 2900 less comfy than the D7000, so I'm sure the Pro 900 would be fine. I really just am fed up with non velour pads.
But honestly, it'd take a lot to give up my D7000.
I see. How you feel about the D7000 is probably how I feel about the Q701. It was and is my end-game headphone, as I don't expect to find cans better than the Q701 until I get to the pricey stuff - and I'm not sure I want to go there. I also have no intentions of buying any more amps or DACs (except maybe the ODA/ODAC).
You don't think think you'll try the T90 do you? I'm curious what Zombie will think of them. I still have no real idea about how they sound though.post #6039 of 379256/30/12 at 1:40ampost #6040 of 379256/30/12 at 2:31amThread StarterI'm curious about the T90, but I don't think it will be much different from the Q701 in terms of it's strengths. For that, I may as well keep the Q701. However, I prefer something with more bass and velour pads, as that would be more beneficial to my preferred genres, and single player gaming (which is mostly what I play). I honestly don't like online gaming, save CoD, and even that is played out.
I'm more interested in the HE400 outfitted with velours. I'm just afraid it'll be too warm. It's between that and the Pro 900.. even though the Pro 900 is a backstep considering what I own. At least I'm pretty sure the Pro 900 would be a right fit for me...
I'm looking for end game... eventually. I guess it will be the D7000+HE400...
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/30/12 at 2:43ampost #6041 of 379256/30/12 at 6:06am
This might be a weird question...but if i buy an amp will i be able to LOWER the volume? On my PC i need to have overall volume on 20% for my ears to not blow away,but all other sounds from games are silent then too...i wish i could keep 100% pc voice but control volume on headphones.post #6042 of 379256/30/12 at 10:00amQuote:Originally Posted by Velsu
This might be a weird question...but if i buy an amp will i be able to LOWER the volume? On my PC i need to have overall volume on 20% for my ears to not blow away,but all other sounds from games are silent then too...i wish i could keep 100% pc voice but control volume on headphones.
Yeah you can. I've never heard of an amp that doesn't have a volume control and most should have a gain/overdrive/etc.post #6043 of 379256/30/12 at 10:10am
How good is this dac/amp?
"Topping TP-D2 Headphone AMP & USB Coaxial DAC & Sound Card Power Amplifier"
Actually, I think I might give my O2 to my wife for here Velodyne VPulse and find a more Q701 friendly amp. Since you love them so much Chico, what kind of amp or dac or w/e do you use? I want something that will give them the fullness and warmth everyone talks about. I guess I need a warmer amp that compliments the Q701.post #6044 of 379256/30/12 at 12:12pmThread StarterThat looks like an M Stage clone (though I believe the M Stage is also a clone). Ask on Head-fi. The internals could be different, and much worse. Buying off ebay... that's quite a risk.post #6045 of 379256/30/12 at 12:48pm
I asked about that exact amp/dac in the Q701 forums. The others, including MLE, recommended I stay away.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 10 seconds ago
- › DHC Symbiote Fusion OCC Silver+Copper Litz IEM Cable 51 seconds ago
- › New England (Mass, NH, Maine, etc) Winter Meet 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3ii - Locks up on last track 5 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 5 minutes ago
- › Cypherus Audio Products Discussion Thread: CampFred Earbuds, QFred... 5 minutes ago
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Schiit Modi by Tim Updegrove
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear