or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 401

post #6001 of 37425
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHale View Post

Thanks, time to save up. :P
How would you say the DT990 is against the HD558 and Brainwavz HM5?
Edit: I should add, for classical music and mainly uncompetitive gaming.

The DT990 is great for action movies (Fiesta headphones), makes you feel like your in a movie theater.

and they seem to do everything else well, but they are more amplifier dependent.

The HD558 are very "german" kind of cold (analytical?) and do a decent job at everything, no weaknesses.

The Brainwavz HM5 are very neutral, closed headphones that you can wear for long periods of time.

Unless you need closed headphones to block noise, I prefer open

post #6002 of 37425
@MLE Hmm, I see. Would the HD598 or HD558 be good? The Beyers are too expensive unfortunately.

@PurpleAngel Thanks for that. Are the HM5 good with classical?

Thanks biggrin.gif
XHale

I should add that my budgets aeround USD250 and I'll most likely be getting the headphones from Germany at the end of July since headphones are very expensive here in Malaysia.
Edited by XHale - 6/29/12 at 1:58am
post #6003 of 37425
Thread Starter 
The HD598 would be pretty solid for classical, for sure.

If you have some form of amping, the Q701 is even better than the HD598 and should fit your budget. Hell, even ampless, I'd prefer them over the HD598.
post #6004 of 37425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Velsu, I'd definitely go for the DT990, as long as you have a way to tone down the treble a little if it bothers you that much. The DT880 is great, but not for virtual surround gaming.

Yea im thinking about DT 990,but You just stated that classical music sounds terrible on them and it gave me a bit of doubt (im weird and i listen to like 70% trance AND 30% classical music so its hard to match something along with competetive gaming).

Do You personally think its worth to add 100% price for DT 990 Premium? DT 990 pro's are 50% cheaper than Premium here and i was just wondering about it.

 

Im also looking at Q701,ultrasone 900 ( i guess You didnt try those?) and HE-4 because these seem to be PERFECT (fusing dt 880 and dt 990 together) but price is just scary.

post #6005 of 37425
Thread Starter 
OMG you have a Pascal avatar (just noticed). You have all my internets. I LOVE Pascal. She is kind of like the second coming of Yuffie for me. XD



As for your post, PERSONALLY I do think the Premiums are worth the difference in price. The premium's bass isn't overly exaggerated like it is on the DT990 pros (to my ears), and even classical sounds good on those. My biggest problem with the pros is that are tipped too heavily on the bass side, so they are not as diverse as the premiums in terms of music genres. The premiums still have a great amount of bass, but it's not a severe tip towards it like it is on the pros.

The Q701 is an awesome compromise. While bass may lack a bit AT times, they can also do bass very well. IF you have a way to boost the bass... the Q701 is my definite recommendation as it would do absolutely everything well, with no downsides in sound quality I can think of. In stock form, they would do any genre (especially classical) justice, with a slight lack of bass for EDM and hip hop, but is fixable. Some Trance songs sound heavenly on the Q701. They just aren't the BEST in those genres. When you're spoiled by other headphones with added bass, the Q701 will sound pretty weak in comparison until you bass boost. Though don't ask me how to bass boost, because I don't EQ other than using the bass boost on my Mixamp 5.8, and the bass boost on the E5/E7 (in the past).

The HE-4 needs an obscene amount of power. Just an amp alone that can power them well will cost as much as the HE-4 itself. It is not recommended at all, unless you happen to own a very powerful amp. I'm not kidding.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the Pro 900 should PROBABLY be like a closed DT990 Pro, though I'm not sure if the bass can get as uncomfortable. In any case, I'm not so sure they would do classical any justice.

It's weird, while I thought the XB500s were a terrible headphone with a destructive amount of midbass, it was also never uncomfortable sounding. So my sensitivity to mid bass seems to also need another 'factor' to make it unbearable for me. In comparison, the DT990 Pro, Koss UR40, and DT770/600 (the rare bass heavy version I got), had mid bass that hurt my ears, and I doubt they hit as hard as the XB500s.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/29/12 at 3:38am
post #6006 of 37425

Where I live, the cheapest I can get the Q701's is RM950(USD299) which is a stretch for my budget but possible. Are they still good for that price?

 

Thanks :D

post #6007 of 37425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

OMG you have a Pascal avatar (just noticed). You have all my internets. I LOVE Pascal. She is kind of like the second coming of Yuffie for me. XD
As for your post, PERSONALLY I do think the Premiums are worth the difference in price. The premium's bass isn't overly exaggerated like it is on the DT990 pros (to my ears), and even classical sounds good on those. My biggest problem with the pros is that are tipped too heavily on the bass side, so they are not as diverse as the premiums in terms of music genres. The premiums still have a great amount of bass, but it's not a severe tip towards it like it is on the pros.
The Q701 is an awesome compromise. While bass may lack a bit AT times, they can also do bass very well. IF you have a way to boost the bass... the Q701 is my definite recommendation as it would do absolutely everything well, with no downsides in sound quality I can think of. In stock form, they would do any genre (especially classical) justice, with a slight lack of bass for EDM and hip hop, but is fixable. Some Trance songs sound heavenly on the Q701. They just aren't the BEST in those genres. When you're spoiled by other headphones with added bass, the Q701 will sound pretty weak in comparison until you bass boost. Though don't ask me how to bass boost, because I don't EQ other than using the bass boost on my Mixamp 5.8, and the bass boost on the E5/E7 (in the past).
The HE-4 needs an obscene amount of power. Just an amp alone that can power them well will cost as much as the HE-4 itself. It is not recommended at all, unless you happen to own a very powerful amp. I'm not kidding.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the Pro 900 should PROBABLY be like a closed DT990 Pro, though I'm not sure if the bass can get as uncomfortable. In any case, I'm not so sure they would do classical any justice.
It's weird, while I thought the XB500s were a terrible headphone with a destructive amount of midbass, it was also never uncomfortable sounding. So my sensitivity to mid bass seems to also need another 'factor' to make it unbearable for me. In comparison, the DT990 Pro, Koss UR40, and DT770/600 (the rare bass heavy version I got), had mid bass that hurt my ears, and I doubt they hit as hard as the XB500s.


Haha yeah its Pascal. I really love her and also had a thought about Yuffie when i first saw her. Great persona's is something i miss in modern jrpg's and Tales of Graces F is just epic piece of art that reminded me why PS one and PS 2 were so damn good.

 

I will most likely go with DT 990 Premuim 250 ohm then as they seem to be good all around headphones with some high bass and also great for gaming. If i have a chance i will give Q701 a listen but i think my mind is already set up (i just dreamed about those beautfil ear pads dt 990 has :D).

Cant wait to listen some lossless dubstep/trance with my DT 990 when i get them.

 

Its a pity HE-4 is so demanding because they seem to be perfect headphones for my purpose,but maybe in the future.

Any idea if Woo Audio 3 would be suitable for HE-4? Because this amp is so beautiful i plan to buy it in future.

 

Also need amp for DT 990 Premium 250 ohm,do You think FiiO E9 will be enough? I can get it for pretty good price and its available instantly so i dont need to wait long for it to arrive. My other option could be Little Dot MK III because someone is selling used one in good condition,but i think i would prefer FiiO for now.

 

Edit 1: Its woo audio 3,not 2 (lol:D)

 

Edit 2: Now im thinking about Ultrasone Pro 900 or HE-4 + WA3...need to stopppp....


Edited by Velsu - 6/29/12 at 7:15am
post #6008 of 37425

E9 is great for the Premiums. With my 600s I won't even go further than 9-10 o'clock, because it gets really loud otherwise! I'd say go for it. :)

post #6009 of 37425

Aye i decided to try FiiO E9.

 

Gonna go visit shop one more time and listen to Ultrasone pro 900 too,because they are closed if im not mistaken and could be useful in my enviroment.

 

So final will be something like this:

 

1) Titanium HD ---> FiiO E9---> DT 990 premium 250 ohm

 

OR

 

2) Titanium HD ---> FiiO E9---> Ultrasone Pro 900

post #6010 of 37425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsu View Post


Haha yeah its Pascal. I really love her and also had a thought about Yuffie when i first saw her. Great persona's is something i miss in modern jrpg's and Tales of Graces F is just epic piece of art that reminded me why PS one and PS 2 were so damn good.

 

I will most likely go with DT 990 Premuim 250 ohm then as they seem to be good all around headphones with some high bass and also great for gaming. If i have a chance i will give Q701 a listen but i think my mind is already set up (i just dreamed about those beautfil ear pads dt 990 has :D).

Cant wait to listen some lossless dubstep/trance with my DT 990 when i get them.

 

Its a pity HE-4 is so demanding because they seem to be perfect headphones for my purpose,but maybe in the future.

Any idea if Woo Audio 3 would be suitable for HE-4? Because this amp is so beautiful i plan to buy it in future.

 

Also need amp for DT 990 Premium 250 ohm,do You think FiiO E9 will be enough? I can get it for pretty good price and its available instantly so i dont need to wait long for it to arrive. My other option could be Little Dot MK III because someone is selling used one in good condition,but i think i would prefer FiiO for now.

 

Edit 1: Its woo audio 3,not 2 (lol:D)

 

Edit 2: Now im thinking about Ultrasone Pro 900 or HE-4 + WA3...need to stopppp....

The Fiio E9 is a good little solid state amp.

But I would rather get the Little Dot MK III myself for 250-Ohm headphones.

post #6011 of 37425

So if I get the Q701's, I was thinking of using a Amp/DAC combo that MLE recommended in the Q701 appreciation thread: O2 amp + Fiio D3 DAC and output Dolby Headphone using my Xonar DG.

 

Would that work well?

 

Thanks :D

post #6012 of 37425
Thread Starter 
Fiio D3 is decent for the price, but I wouldnt exactly settle for it. Its my secondary dac, that I use for my TV/soundbar.

While the E9 has plenty of power for the DT990 250ohm, it also sounds a bit harsh up top, which doesn't do the DT990 any favors. The DT990 is ideally paired up with a smooth/warm amp.
post #6013 of 37425

i havent been following the thread of late, by why is the e9 being recommended over the o2 for that price range? serious question, not trying to start a war.  

post #6014 of 37425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Fiio D3 is decent for the price, but I wouldnt exactly settle for it. Its my secondary dac, that I use for my TV/soundbar.
While the E9 has plenty of power for the DT990 250ohm, it also sounds a bit harsh up top, which doesn't do the DT990 any favors. The DT990 is ideally paired up with a smooth/warm amp.


I see,what would be recommended amp for DT 990 250 ohm then? I would want one that will pair good with Titanium HD and its surround sound without colouring anything.

 

And i already decided what to purchase.Just came back from shop,happy with my new DT 990 Premium's! When i was there i also gave a spin to Ultrasone Pro 900. I must say they sound AMAZING,everything was perfectly clear and bass was great and not so invasive like DT 990. I was one step from purchasing them but they have one weak point that was annoying me...they are uncomfortable as hell. Its probably personal preference but they were hurting my jaw a bit and giving pressure to skin under my ears. After 10-15 minutes of listening i already had hot and wet ears and all i wanted was to take them off.

DT 990 on the other hand are so comfortable i didnt even felt i have them on:)

post #6015 of 37425
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by caracara08 View Post

i havent been following the thread of late, by why is the e9 being recommended over the o2 for that price range? serious question, not trying to start a war.  

I haven't heard the O2. I'm sure it sounds stellar. The only thing is that the E9 has been known to sound great with the Q701 (I agree), and I have heard the O2 and Q701 aren't an ideal match. Just what I've heard. That said, for gaming off the Mixamp, I doubt the O2 would be anything but beneficial.

In any case, I wouldn't know of any amps that would fit the DT990s, except maybe something like the MStage, Asgard, or some tube amps that soften treble a little. I haven't heard these, so I can't personally recommend them.

The E9 prefers smooth sounding headphones, because harsh headphones like the DT990 will remain harsh. If you like the stock sound of the DT990s, the E9 will be fine.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/29/12 at 10:42am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)