- 42 Posts. Joined 11/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Budget audiophile brand Brainwavz Audio is back at it, closing out 2016 and kicking off 2017 with a bevy of new earphone offerings. Their timing was just right. Shortly before leaving for an...
Great lil on-ear headphone but a lil bit uncomfortable on ear. Not for someone who loves heavy bass but good for seeking clarity ;) My opinion, my first AKG product. Tried the AKG Y50 but to me,...
In Ears Prophile 8 IEM review January 2017 Intro I had heard of In Ears but did not know too much about them until I see them on the In-Ear stand at the Indulgence show in London...
MrZ's Toneking Musicmaker TingThe review that swayed me to get on-boardhttp://www.head-fi.org/products/musicmaker-ting/reviews/15584The slightly down-line 1/2 price...
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 381post #5701 of 379416/11/12 at 7:12pmWhere do you enable a dolby headphone?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5702 of 379416/11/12 at 7:47pmThread StarterI hear the treble is rolled off with no sparkle. That to me is not good treble. I hate when treble is too subdued. Like the ESW9 which a lot of people here on Head-fi love. I thought it was horrible. Sure it had amazing mids and bass, but the treble was 'smooth'. It may as well been called trebleless.
This is why I would never go for headphones like the HD650 and LCD2. I prefer a slight tip towards treble than mids.post #5703 of 379416/11/12 at 8:37pmpost #5704 of 379416/11/12 at 9:59pmpost #5705 of 379416/12/12 at 6:03am
MLE, I mostly agree with your review of the Pro 2900. Especially when it comes to the soundstage and placement. I suppose the S-Logic tech just doesn't work with my ears as I really don't get a sense of a normal soundstage with the 2900s. It feels... fake. Like the headphone is tricking me into thinking the soundstage is wider than it is. This may work for some, but for me it becomes distracting after a short time. Although, like you said, the placement of sounds is very accurate. It is quite easy to tell where a sound is coming from in a game while wearing the 2900s.
Unfortunately, I also have a big issue with the fit of these headphones. The design of the drivers is as such if you don't have them perfectly centered over your ears and head the sound changes drastically. I have found that if pushed slightly forward on my head the treble detail fades quickly and bass becomes boomy. If they are slid back just a bit the treble really takes over and they can actually become a bit too bright. When centered they do sound quite good - with deep, detailed bass and pleasant treble.
I have a pair of HE400s on their way right now and I fully expect them to surpass the 2900s in every category, especially the soundstage dept. I will post my impressions later this week or early next week.
Oh, I forgot to mention that my DH setup is like this: Auzentech Forte SPDIF (Dolby Encoding) --> Turtle Beach DSS --> Matrix m-stage --> headphones
Occasionally I will use CMSS3D as well, but this is a DH thread... ;)
Thanks again for this thread. Very helpful and informative!
Edited by draven5494 - 6/12/12 at 7:54ampost #5706 of 379416/12/12 at 8:33ampost #5707 of 379416/12/12 at 10:10am
Alright, I got my mixamp pro today and here is a quick review (or better: first impressions) and a few questions:
I tried 3 things: Gaming on Xbox 360 via optical (only COD so far) and movies on Xbox 360 (Apocalypse Now Redux). TV/Sports/Movies on my digital cable box, also via optical. Blu Ray via coax.
Gaming/Movies on Xbox: Just loved it!! It takes a lil getin used to since without the mixamp the sounds are all right there, sort of in front of your ears. With the mixamp on DH at first you get the feeling that sounds are more distant, but that´s exactly what it should do and the overall sound is very, very good. No hiss, nothing.
Same for movies. I tried a helicopter scene with and without DH on a couple of times and DH just adds so much depth and room to the sound. Great.
TV/Sports/Movies: Movies sound great via the cable box as well (only tried one though), TV and sports not so much. I think I´d rather watch this without DH on, even though a lot of stuff is broadcasted in DD 5.1.
Blu Ray: Well, here comes the real downside! I was not able to geht sound via coax. Sound in the menus was there, but not in the movie itself. I guess it´s some sort of format issue... DTS? On what setting do I have to have my blu ray player to get sound through the mixamp??
On last thing: I think the mixamp could drive the DT 990 pro a lil louder.post #5708 of 379416/12/12 at 10:57amThread StarterSet your Blu-Ray to NOT play in DTS. DTS won't play on the Mixamp.
Something in the audio settings should bypass DTS and at least do stereo, which the Mixamp will play.
Blu-Rays usually play Dolby Digital only in the previews and menus. Secondary languages should have Dolby.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/12/12 at 10:58ampost #5709 of 379416/12/12 at 11:13am
Thank you, that helped!
What I did is, I set "digital audio" to "PCM" instead of "bitrate". Whatever hat means ;) Would I also want the PCM-Downsampling on "on" or "off" (96 to 48 kHZ)? I ain´t got no idea what that means. sorry.post #5710 of 379416/12/12 at 11:22amThread StarterJust leave that at default.
Bitstream and PCM. PCM I believe is direct signal to 'speakers' no processing like Dolby. Think of it like a basic audio signal..post #5711 of 379416/12/12 at 11:28ampost #5712 of 379416/12/12 at 11:36amThread StarterNot really. Turning DH on is not true DH unless the signal is Dolby Digital. Problem is Blu-Rays mostly do DTS for english audio, so the Mixamp won't work its magic there. Just set it to whatever gets audio to the Mixamp and turn DH off. It'll be stereo audio.post #5713 of 379416/12/12 at 11:40ampost #5714 of 379416/12/12 at 1:16pmpost #5715 of 379416/12/12 at 2:30pmQuote:
Is this your opinion based on listening experience?
From what I have read about the HE400s their soundstage is large and they have great separation. I have read that the HE400's soundstage even surpasses the DT990s.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Portable? or can't stand portable?... 25 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 50 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › AURALiC ARIES 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 5 minutes ago
- › Won't be buying any more Shure headphones. My pair broke. (SRH440... 5 minutes ago
- › CA Litz cable - 3.5 w/mmcx 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by SoundApprentice
- › AKG K403 by IkuMiku96
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by FortisFlyer75
- › MusicMaker Ting by Redcarmoose
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear