- 43 Posts. Joined 11/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Aesthetics: The box with its engineering drawings, beautiful graphics, and presentation of the product leaves a great first impression. Included are ample sizes of silicon earpieces to choose...
This is a pretty long review. For the benefit of those with short attention spans, let’s cut right to the chase. The “entry level” Holo Spring DAC is good – very good! It is transparent,...
I just got my X1 II but I'm really busy so I will first pen a few quick thoughts and edit this next time/respond to any comments or PMs you send me :) Info and Specs...
Empire Ears & Effect Audio Collaboration “ARTHUR” Intro Specifications Arthur frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz Sensitivity: 21ohm @ 1mw 14 Balanced Armature drivers...
I love Ibasso, really respect there products, especially the DX90 wich I still use everyday after 3 years and have lot of pleasure to listen to, i'm still amaze by the clear, neutral and analytical...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 381post #5701 of 383456/11/12 at 7:12pmWhere do you enable a dolby headphone?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5702 of 383456/11/12 at 7:47pmThread StarterI hear the treble is rolled off with no sparkle. That to me is not good treble. I hate when treble is too subdued. Like the ESW9 which a lot of people here on Head-fi love. I thought it was horrible. Sure it had amazing mids and bass, but the treble was 'smooth'. It may as well been called trebleless.
This is why I would never go for headphones like the HD650 and LCD2. I prefer a slight tip towards treble than mids.post #5703 of 383456/11/12 at 8:37pmpost #5704 of 383456/11/12 at 9:59pmpost #5705 of 383456/12/12 at 6:03am
MLE, I mostly agree with your review of the Pro 2900. Especially when it comes to the soundstage and placement. I suppose the S-Logic tech just doesn't work with my ears as I really don't get a sense of a normal soundstage with the 2900s. It feels... fake. Like the headphone is tricking me into thinking the soundstage is wider than it is. This may work for some, but for me it becomes distracting after a short time. Although, like you said, the placement of sounds is very accurate. It is quite easy to tell where a sound is coming from in a game while wearing the 2900s.
Unfortunately, I also have a big issue with the fit of these headphones. The design of the drivers is as such if you don't have them perfectly centered over your ears and head the sound changes drastically. I have found that if pushed slightly forward on my head the treble detail fades quickly and bass becomes boomy. If they are slid back just a bit the treble really takes over and they can actually become a bit too bright. When centered they do sound quite good - with deep, detailed bass and pleasant treble.
I have a pair of HE400s on their way right now and I fully expect them to surpass the 2900s in every category, especially the soundstage dept. I will post my impressions later this week or early next week.
Oh, I forgot to mention that my DH setup is like this: Auzentech Forte SPDIF (Dolby Encoding) --> Turtle Beach DSS --> Matrix m-stage --> headphones
Occasionally I will use CMSS3D as well, but this is a DH thread... ;)
Thanks again for this thread. Very helpful and informative!
Edited by draven5494 - 6/12/12 at 7:54ampost #5706 of 383456/12/12 at 8:33ampost #5707 of 383456/12/12 at 10:10am
Alright, I got my mixamp pro today and here is a quick review (or better: first impressions) and a few questions:
I tried 3 things: Gaming on Xbox 360 via optical (only COD so far) and movies on Xbox 360 (Apocalypse Now Redux). TV/Sports/Movies on my digital cable box, also via optical. Blu Ray via coax.
Gaming/Movies on Xbox: Just loved it!! It takes a lil getin used to since without the mixamp the sounds are all right there, sort of in front of your ears. With the mixamp on DH at first you get the feeling that sounds are more distant, but that´s exactly what it should do and the overall sound is very, very good. No hiss, nothing.
Same for movies. I tried a helicopter scene with and without DH on a couple of times and DH just adds so much depth and room to the sound. Great.
TV/Sports/Movies: Movies sound great via the cable box as well (only tried one though), TV and sports not so much. I think I´d rather watch this without DH on, even though a lot of stuff is broadcasted in DD 5.1.
Blu Ray: Well, here comes the real downside! I was not able to geht sound via coax. Sound in the menus was there, but not in the movie itself. I guess it´s some sort of format issue... DTS? On what setting do I have to have my blu ray player to get sound through the mixamp??
On last thing: I think the mixamp could drive the DT 990 pro a lil louder.post #5708 of 383456/12/12 at 10:57amThread StarterSet your Blu-Ray to NOT play in DTS. DTS won't play on the Mixamp.
Something in the audio settings should bypass DTS and at least do stereo, which the Mixamp will play.
Blu-Rays usually play Dolby Digital only in the previews and menus. Secondary languages should have Dolby.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/12/12 at 10:58ampost #5709 of 383456/12/12 at 11:13am
Thank you, that helped!
What I did is, I set "digital audio" to "PCM" instead of "bitrate". Whatever hat means ;) Would I also want the PCM-Downsampling on "on" or "off" (96 to 48 kHZ)? I ain´t got no idea what that means. sorry.post #5710 of 383456/12/12 at 11:22amThread StarterJust leave that at default.
Bitstream and PCM. PCM I believe is direct signal to 'speakers' no processing like Dolby. Think of it like a basic audio signal..post #5711 of 383456/12/12 at 11:28ampost #5712 of 383456/12/12 at 11:36amThread StarterNot really. Turning DH on is not true DH unless the signal is Dolby Digital. Problem is Blu-Rays mostly do DTS for english audio, so the Mixamp won't work its magic there. Just set it to whatever gets audio to the Mixamp and turn DH off. It'll be stereo audio.post #5713 of 383456/12/12 at 11:40ampost #5714 of 383456/12/12 at 1:16pmpost #5715 of 383456/12/12 at 2:30pmQuote:
Is this your opinion based on listening experience?
From what I have read about the HE400s their soundstage is large and they have great separation. I have read that the HE400's soundstage even surpasses the DT990s.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Corrupt a wish 12 seconds ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 3 minutes ago
- › Onkyo DP-X1 Digital Audio Player (DAP) 4 minutes ago
- › MQA: Revolutionary British streaming technology 5 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 6 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Q & A 9 minutes ago
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 11 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA 13 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-A30 SERIES 15 minutes ago
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by wdetterman
- › Holo Audio Spring DAC - Level 1 "Base Model" by T Bone
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by gemmoglock
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears : "Arthur" by justrest
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear