- 40 Posts. Joined 11/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Hello and thanks for getting to my review! Firstly, need to tell you that this DAC/headamp has no battery inside, so those needing something to listen while jogging or walking might need to...
SPECS: Driver Type 8mm Dynamic Plug Type 3.5mm Gold-plated Cord Length 1.3m Y Frequency Response 12 Hz – 22...
1MORE Capsule Dual-Driver In-Ear Headphones Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to 1MORE UK for the review sample. Full review...
Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Massdrop for the loaner. Full review...
I was an early adopter of the original hifiman he-1000 (part of the original beta group). At the end of the beta period I elected to keep the product and it was replaced with the newest and latest...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 381post #5701 of 373276/11/12 at 7:12pmWhere do you enable a dolby headphone?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5702 of 373276/11/12 at 7:47pmThread StarterI hear the treble is rolled off with no sparkle. That to me is not good treble. I hate when treble is too subdued. Like the ESW9 which a lot of people here on Head-fi love. I thought it was horrible. Sure it had amazing mids and bass, but the treble was 'smooth'. It may as well been called trebleless.
This is why I would never go for headphones like the HD650 and LCD2. I prefer a slight tip towards treble than mids.post #5703 of 373276/11/12 at 8:37pmpost #5704 of 373276/11/12 at 9:59pmpost #5705 of 373276/12/12 at 6:03am
MLE, I mostly agree with your review of the Pro 2900. Especially when it comes to the soundstage and placement. I suppose the S-Logic tech just doesn't work with my ears as I really don't get a sense of a normal soundstage with the 2900s. It feels... fake. Like the headphone is tricking me into thinking the soundstage is wider than it is. This may work for some, but for me it becomes distracting after a short time. Although, like you said, the placement of sounds is very accurate. It is quite easy to tell where a sound is coming from in a game while wearing the 2900s.
Unfortunately, I also have a big issue with the fit of these headphones. The design of the drivers is as such if you don't have them perfectly centered over your ears and head the sound changes drastically. I have found that if pushed slightly forward on my head the treble detail fades quickly and bass becomes boomy. If they are slid back just a bit the treble really takes over and they can actually become a bit too bright. When centered they do sound quite good - with deep, detailed bass and pleasant treble.
I have a pair of HE400s on their way right now and I fully expect them to surpass the 2900s in every category, especially the soundstage dept. I will post my impressions later this week or early next week.
Oh, I forgot to mention that my DH setup is like this: Auzentech Forte SPDIF (Dolby Encoding) --> Turtle Beach DSS --> Matrix m-stage --> headphones
Occasionally I will use CMSS3D as well, but this is a DH thread... ;)
Thanks again for this thread. Very helpful and informative!
Edited by draven5494 - 6/12/12 at 7:54ampost #5706 of 373276/12/12 at 8:33ampost #5707 of 373276/12/12 at 10:10am
Alright, I got my mixamp pro today and here is a quick review (or better: first impressions) and a few questions:
I tried 3 things: Gaming on Xbox 360 via optical (only COD so far) and movies on Xbox 360 (Apocalypse Now Redux). TV/Sports/Movies on my digital cable box, also via optical. Blu Ray via coax.
Gaming/Movies on Xbox: Just loved it!! It takes a lil getin used to since without the mixamp the sounds are all right there, sort of in front of your ears. With the mixamp on DH at first you get the feeling that sounds are more distant, but that´s exactly what it should do and the overall sound is very, very good. No hiss, nothing.
Same for movies. I tried a helicopter scene with and without DH on a couple of times and DH just adds so much depth and room to the sound. Great.
TV/Sports/Movies: Movies sound great via the cable box as well (only tried one though), TV and sports not so much. I think I´d rather watch this without DH on, even though a lot of stuff is broadcasted in DD 5.1.
Blu Ray: Well, here comes the real downside! I was not able to geht sound via coax. Sound in the menus was there, but not in the movie itself. I guess it´s some sort of format issue... DTS? On what setting do I have to have my blu ray player to get sound through the mixamp??
On last thing: I think the mixamp could drive the DT 990 pro a lil louder.post #5708 of 373276/12/12 at 10:57amThread StarterSet your Blu-Ray to NOT play in DTS. DTS won't play on the Mixamp.
Something in the audio settings should bypass DTS and at least do stereo, which the Mixamp will play.
Blu-Rays usually play Dolby Digital only in the previews and menus. Secondary languages should have Dolby.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/12/12 at 10:58ampost #5709 of 373276/12/12 at 11:13am
Thank you, that helped!
What I did is, I set "digital audio" to "PCM" instead of "bitrate". Whatever hat means ;) Would I also want the PCM-Downsampling on "on" or "off" (96 to 48 kHZ)? I ain´t got no idea what that means. sorry.post #5710 of 373276/12/12 at 11:22amThread StarterJust leave that at default.
Bitstream and PCM. PCM I believe is direct signal to 'speakers' no processing like Dolby. Think of it like a basic audio signal..post #5711 of 373276/12/12 at 11:28ampost #5712 of 373276/12/12 at 11:36amThread StarterNot really. Turning DH on is not true DH unless the signal is Dolby Digital. Problem is Blu-Rays mostly do DTS for english audio, so the Mixamp won't work its magic there. Just set it to whatever gets audio to the Mixamp and turn DH off. It'll be stereo audio.post #5713 of 373276/12/12 at 11:40ampost #5714 of 373276/12/12 at 1:16pmpost #5715 of 373276/12/12 at 2:30pmQuote:
Is this your opinion based on listening experience?
From what I have read about the HE400s their soundstage is large and they have great separation. I have read that the HE400's soundstage even surpasses the DT990s.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 1 minute ago
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 2 minutes ago
- › DX200 The style has been chosen by your votes. Details of design... 3 minutes ago
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 Earphone Review by mark2410 5 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Need some Help regarding RCA Cables. 9 minutes ago
- › iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a... 9 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 11 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 12 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Roland Mobile UA UA-M10 USB Audio Interface by raoultrifan
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by NA Blur
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by mark2410
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphone by MattTCG
- › Bluedio V (Victory) Pro Patented PPS12 Drivers Wireless Bluetooth... by mark2410
- › Effect Audio - Thor Silver II by Falconlistener
- › Edifier R2000DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field... by ryanjsoo
- › Yamaha MusicCast WX-010 Wireless Speaker (White) by mark2410
- › Questyle Q192 DAC with Headphone Amplifier silver by noobandroid
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear