Wow, if they are a limited time only item I'm really glad I snagged mine when I did.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The review you are about to read is very personal and contains details some might find boring or unimportant. You have been warned. My personal search for a great headphone began with a love...
Want something a bit better sounding than your cell phone, with the ability to carry your whole lossless music collection? Enter, Sony Walkman NW-A35. This new release from Sony features five...
Introduction Reviewer Introduction Product Introduction Technical Specifications Sound Quality Signature Overview Sound...
So I got the chance to try out the Aune M1S, and to my Surprise it was way more than I had anticipated or expected. My first impressions was an absolute shock! This thing punches way above it...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a look at the Paco, a compact, attractive, and smartly priced earphone in Fischer Audio's Totem series of products. Fischer Audio isn't new to the...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 370post #5536 of 386625/31/12 at 11:07am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5537 of 386625/31/12 at 12:26pm
They haven't been out long enough to be discontinued. Headroom's only had them in stock for a year or so. Until I see a source saying they are, I will assume they're not discontinued.post #5538 of 386625/31/12 at 4:40pm
Ahhh I can't get a HD558 for a good price >.<
I need a headphone to accommodate my creative sound blaster recon 3d
Any deals on the 558 (other than dakmart, who never has them in stock) or another 555-sounding headphone with a little extra bass?post #5539 of 386625/31/12 at 4:52pmpost #5540 of 386625/31/12 at 6:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by Eric_C
korky: Just based on how much info you said is available, I would rule out the HFI 2400. No data = no go.
Based on discussion in this thread for the 990, 598 and Q701:
- 598 should be ruled out, it doesn't get described as a top choice for gaming. Or for bass.
- 990 is a risky choice; good for gaming + movies, great bass, highs could be annoying. Depends on the individual.
- Q701 is a good, safe choice. Only area they may lack for you is in bass.
As MLE alluded to, the Beyer DT 880 trades in one strength of the Q701 for one flaw:
- Better bass than Q701
- Lousier positioning (you can't tell when people are at 6 o'clock)
Everyone who games with the 880 agrees on that flaw, myself included. If you can live with that gaming flaw, as a non-basshead, I think it's a decent all-rounder and has some pretty nice bass going on. Not the strongest, but if a track has good bass or a game/movie has good explosions, it should be loud and good enough.
Again, comparing 880 to Q701 only:
If gaming is more important, Q701.
If bass is more important, 880
That odd I don't have issues with telling where people are at a 6 O.clock angle. And I been gaming with DT880 pro 250's for some time now. But Then I am not using the generic op-amps that where originally on my STX, I replaced those as well as not using the original op-amp that was in my Matrix M-Stage. I play a lot of FPS games too. Tho I don't use Dolby headphone since I running the card Thur to my External Amp by RCA. Tho my config being different then your's and those could be why I don't have that issue, unless the DT880 pro 250 doesn't have that issue like the normal DT880s that you mention.post #5541 of 386625/31/12 at 7:55pmThread StarterThat's just it. You have the Pros. For some strange reason, the Pro Beyers have better positional cues than the Premiums. The DT990 Pro was noticably superior at picking up sound cues than the Premium DT990. Same with the DT770 Pros being better than the Premiums.
This is why I've always wanted to try the 880 Pros. The Premium DT880s are quite bad att directional cues.
I'm not recommending the 880 Pros, because I haven't heard them.post #5542 of 386625/31/12 at 11:19pm
Maybe that (^ what MLE said) and you (genclaymore) hook it up to something other than a MixAmp or Dolby Headphone device.
When you change the variables, a change in results is perfectly reasonable.post #5543 of 386625/31/12 at 11:49pmThread StarterI missed that part of his post. Why get something like the STX if you're not gonna use Dolby Headphone? And yes, like I've mentioned countless times on this thread, my opinions are based on how all the headphones perform with Dolby Headphone, and only that. I wouldn't play in stereo EVER, unless it was the only option.post #5544 of 386626/1/12 at 12:43am
I'm really curious what MLE would say about Ultrasone Pro 2900. Unfortunately I'm not in the US else I could have sent mine for testing. I really like them because of
a) excellent positioning without holes
b) great atmospheric, 3D soundstage
c) great bass extension, texture without (most important imho) bleeding into other frequencies and oversounding important details
AH-D2000 for instance did that, DT 990 Premium as well.
PC360 is no match, I still use it though from time to time since my modmic hasn't arrived yet.post #5545 of 386626/1/12 at 1:11amThread StarterWell, back before I got the HE-4, it was a toss up between the HE-4 and Pro 2900. The HE-4 won out because I wanted to try an ortho.
The Pro 2900 was also a bit too costly for a headphone almost no one on head-fi heard at the time.
I'm pretty sure I'd love them though.post #5546 of 386626/1/12 at 5:02am
I've used my HFi2200 (which is nearly identical to the 2400 except for maybe thicker pads) for gaming for a year, mostly with MW2, and really enjoyed them. Sound whoring was a bit hard because they had a touch too much bass for picking out footsteps. It's been a year now since I've upgraded to the Pro2900 which has much cleaner and controlled bass that doesn't bleed. Every aspect of the Pro2900 outclasses the HFi2200 but that still doesn't mean that the 2200/2400 is horrible with DH. Just about every open Ultrasone works extremely well with DH, from their low end HFi15g to the Pro2900. Depending on my mood I can use my 15g, hs15 (this is the 15g with a boom mic), or Pro2900, the HFi2200 is being loaned to a friend.
The one thing that still irks me is that I haven't been able to find any sort of comparison between the Pro2900 and the Q701. Whether it be gaming or music, there's absolutely nothing in the ether. I really consider the Q701 as a gorgeous headphone and would buy it if I had the spare cash lying around but if there's no gain besides it's beauty then there's no point to me. I should just man the ef up and donate my 2900 for testing.post #5547 of 386626/1/12 at 6:52am
ok guys i got a question, What i am thinking of doing is plugging my headphones (Q701) straight into my amp(FIIO E11) and then into my sound card (Asus Xonar DX). Can you see any problems with this? Will i be able to get dolby surround from my sound card? Thanks!post #5548 of 386626/1/12 at 7:04amQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
I missed that part of his post. Why get something like the STX if you're not gonna use Dolby Headphone? And yes, like I've mentioned countless times on this thread, my opinions are based on how all the headphones perform with Dolby Headphone, and only that. I wouldn't play in stereo EVER, unless it was the only option.
Simple Dolby headphone is not the only reason to ever consider getting a STX for one of the reasons why people do get a STX is because of its in-graded headphone amp. Using the RCA outputs on the STX works great as a Source for External Amp's as the RCA output on the STX is better then it's headphone amp output. The reason why I mention I don't use Dolby headphone is because it isn't a option when using the RCA jacks.It's not like the X-Fi HD PCi-E which let you used CMSS3D Headphone Thu It's RCA outputs while using Headphone mode on the same plugs.I have no problems with positional audio with the setup.
Sure I could plug my Matrix M stage into the headphone output, but then that would be double amp-ping as you would have to enable low gain to make it work with with the external Amp. I know how Dolby headphone sounds as I usually like to use Ref 1 without all the Echo and Re-verb's. Back when I had a AKG 702 with the STX and was using it's HP amp outputs then.
The Reason why i not plugging the DT880 directly into the STX is that I use ASIO and Wasapi which bypasses the volume control, so I also use my External amp as a volume,As i use both for bit match playback. But I also like having both I/V and Buffer op-amps on the STX in the line then just the I/V as I can tailor the sound signature better with all 3 op-amps sockets on the STX then with just the Two I/V's. I have a op-amp config going on the sound card so I wouldn't like it with just the I/V socket changed.
Edited by genclaymore - 6/1/12 at 7:16ampost #5549 of 386626/1/12 at 7:52amQuote:
I think the Xonar DX used with a Fiio E11 is a great combo.
Should be able to use Dolby Virtual Headphone (7.1).post #5550 of 386626/1/12 at 11:50am
First post here and basically joined to thank Mad Lust Envy for this guide! It was beyond useful in my search for the best headphone for my gaming and general use. I am sure you have single-handedly sold thousand of headphones from this guide being passed around on tech forums. Started with some Trittons and Astro A40s before finding this guide. Hastedly sold my A40 headset, kept the MIxamp 5.8 and tried out some AD700s, 558s, 598s and DT990 Pros. But the Q701s are for me for sure! Newbie here regarding sound but I can sat they have the airy sound (huge soundstage?) of the AD700 without the grating treble and more bass which was exactly what I was looking for. Plus I find them much more comfortable. Perfect with my mixamp. Thank you Mad Lust Envy.
Question: Currently running unamped with them and my virgin ears still think they sound better than all the other cans I tried.....well at least for gaming and a quick test through my macbook with some downtempo. How much more will I gain from these with an amp for my purposes?
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Cowon Plenue D 2 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 2 minutes ago
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon amp (first run) W/ Rubber Feet and... 2 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 3 minutes ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 3 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio A5 or DAC? 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 4 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - Newer Thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 5 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by ngoshawk
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by ngoshawk
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by kevingzw
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear