Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 352post #5266 of 378894/26/12 at 5:06pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5267 of 378894/26/12 at 8:04pmpost #5268 of 378894/26/12 at 9:05pmpost #5269 of 378894/26/12 at 9:14pmpost #5270 of 378894/26/12 at 9:21pmpost #5271 of 378894/27/12 at 12:49amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by chicolom
Those look strangely familiar... " rel="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/wink.gif">
The modmic is pricier, but worth it IMO. Clip-ons can suck it.
Take that back! Right now!
My DX clip-on that cost me less than $3 works perfectly.
Though if you were more specific like say...
The Zalman clip-on can suck it... then yes, I agree.
Its sad that I spent over $30 for the Zalman and was appalled at how horrible it was.
IF my DX clip on messes up, I'll get the modmic myself.post #5272 of 378894/27/12 at 1:44am
Hrm, I see, well I went and got the LVA 7330 as recommended by the guide and plan on attaching it to the Q701 one way or another heh.post #5273 of 378894/27/12 at 2:15amThread StarterQuote:
A legitimate alternative, though you have to sand off the headband, and find a way to attach it to your headphones. The double sided velcro didn't work well for me when I had the LVA7330. It was too heavy for the velcro.post #5274 of 378894/27/12 at 4:08ampost #5275 of 378894/27/12 at 5:49amThread Starterpost #5276 of 378894/27/12 at 10:06amQuote:
$30?! WTH, I think I spent $8 on it...post #5277 of 378894/27/12 at 1:17pmpost #5278 of 378894/27/12 at 4:42pmThread StarterQuote:
They were a bit more expensive before, sadly.post #5279 of 378894/27/12 at 10:29pm
As many others have stated, fantastic thread MLE. Thanks for all the help you give gamers out there.
I'm just getting into this expensive headphone business so bear with me.
I have some questions about what headphone would work best to compliment my AD700s. I currently use the AD700s connected to an Astro mixamp for competitive gaming and it works great, but using them for casual fun gaming, movie watching, music listening, etc. isn't the greatest experience. I'd like to pick up a fun headphone to fix this. :)
I'm considering the DT770 pro 80s and the DT990 pros so far as a result of my $200 budget. I don't plan on getting an amp, I just plan on using the mixamp.
I like the clarity I've heard in the AD700; does the DT770 pro 80's powerful bass take clarity away from its sound a great deal? Or am I misunderstanding how its heavy bass affects the headphone? Loss of clarity might be a turn-off for me.
How does the DT990 pro compare to the DT770 pro 80 for gaming purposes? I've heard that the DT990 pro is like the DT770 pro 80 but with slightly less bass and better clarity of sound. They are relatively close in price so I'm wondering if the few extra bucks for the DT990 pro is worth it.
Also, would using the DT990 pro with a mixamp alone take away any advantage it has over the DT770 pro 80 in sound quality? I don't really understand how that impedance stuff can affect sound quality.
Thank you all for your help! :Dpost #5280 of 378894/27/12 at 10:37pmThread StarterThe DT990 Pros smoke the DT770 Pro 80 in every way other than isolation (obviously).
If you're not using a mic with them, the Mixamp will be fine with the DT990 Pros.
And yes, the DT770 Pro 80s tend to sound muffled at times because of the bass. The DT990s don't. Unless you need the fantastic noise isolation of the DT770s... there's no reason not to go with the 990 Pros.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 7 seconds ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 31 seconds ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 53 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 1 minute ago
- › Vsonic GR06 broke fast? 2 minutes ago
- › USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All... 2 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › New IEM for a cable breaker. 4 minutes ago
- › Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA 6 minutes ago
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by bapspidoff
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear