PC gamer? Check this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
Introductory word They say that once you go black.... yeah. This is quite self-explanatory. And behold, black iFi Audio product emerged. I can only say - finally. Cheers to 'em English folks....
Company 64 Audio (former 1964 Ears) is a well-known maker of top-level multidriver IEMs. They are offering a big range of models, but the most attractive feature of their earphones is APEX...
In my self-imposed haughtiness and superiority, I have always told Alfred and Martin that I will be the high-end reviewer for this blog, and that they should be responsible for more budget...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 341post #5101 of 379104/10/12 at 5:46am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5102 of 379104/10/12 at 8:00amThread StarterThe E9 isn't optimal for headphones under 80ohms, though it doesn't noticaby do anything bad to low ohm headphones on the big jack. The small jack should be avoided at all costs.
The HD598 is supposedly easy to drive, but I beg to differ. Its one of the few headphones I can say with full certainty, that it wants power, for my own ears. But I'm in the minority.post #5103 of 379104/10/12 at 10:03amQuote:
I would use it without it.
But, If you already have an E9 you could try it and see. My PC360 didn't benefit from the E9.
Edited by chicolom - 4/10/12 at 10:06ampost #5104 of 379104/10/12 at 10:38ampost #5105 of 379104/10/12 at 10:42am
Obviously no one was selling a wireless Astro Mixamp so I broke down and bought the whole set, Astro A40's and Wireless Mixamp 2011 edition straight from AstroGaming.com.
I have to say, once everything was hooked up, after using the A40's for a few games of MW3 online, I was a bit... underwhelmed. The sound itself was hallow, the treble was lacking and there was a general sense of muffled ambient noise around me. It was just... not what I was expecting after dishing out $300+. Granted, I did buy the whole set with the full intention of selling the headset so I'm not that upset. I can't believe the amount of people that swear by these things and they're considered the better headsets of the gaming community compared to Turtle Beach or Trittron....
I decided for ****s and giggles that I'd try out my KSC75 (with the quarter/kramer mod done) and WOW! I was genuinely blown away by how crystal clear the treble was, when I used a gun such as the MP7 without a silencer, I could feel each bullet penetrating the enemies, it was sharp and brilliant; for $15?! HOLY SH%T!. So much so that I didn't even want to use the A40's anymore. Only thing that sucks is having to use a mic that hangs on my shoulder.
I will say, the long distance positional cues seemed to be overall better with the A40's but we're comparing $200 to $15, c'mon now. :) Also, the build quality on the A40's seemed very sturdy and solid.
Oh well, I can't wait to get the PC360's once I sell these A40's. So looking forward to it, I can't wait.post #5106 of 379104/10/12 at 12:33pmThread StarterYeah, the KSC75 is awesome. I love them bone stock, no mods.
But yeah, they're not really gonna hold a candle to any decent full sized headphone in terms of positional accuracy or soundstage. Still, for $15... they just put a smile to my face.post #5107 of 379104/10/12 at 3:21pm
So I got the money to pick up my pair of Q701s finally, and I'm about to put in my order, but with what MLE said about them being weak with voice chat when using a mixamp has me thinking about double amping them. I will be playing them with the xbox and off my PC, both through the mixamp for DH. So I'm looking for a budget around $150 for an amp to get me that sweet spot. I know that the O2 ticks that pricepoint, but some say that it lacks the warmth that makes the Qs really stand out. I've seen some Matrix's on the FS section, but the ones that are around $200, which I could stretch a bit to get, either are still open but have been sold or the sellers aren't responding to people. So for around $150 are there any recommendations to pair with the mixamp to get the gaming chat to be less picky? I'll still be ordering the Qs for games like Mass Effect and such that don't need voice chat, but when I play MW3 on the Xbox, or integrate voice chat through the mixamp for pc gaming then I may need that extra oomph to get it there. So, thoughts? Suggestions? Snide remarks?post #5108 of 379104/10/12 at 7:34pmQuote:Originally Posted by AxelCloris
So I got the money to pick up my pair of Q701s finally, and I'm about to put in my order, but with what MLE said about them being weak with voice chat when using a mixamp has me thinking about double amping them. I will be playing them with the xbox and off my PC, both through the mixamp for DH. So I'm looking for a budget around $150 for an amp to get me that sweet spot. I know that the O2 ticks that pricepoint, but some say that it lacks the warmth that makes the Qs really stand out. I've seen some Matrix's on the FS section, but the ones that are around $200, which I could stretch a bit to get, either are still open but have been sold or the sellers aren't responding to people. So for around $150 are there any recommendations to pair with the mixamp to get the gaming chat to be less picky? I'll still be ordering the Qs for games like Mass Effect and such that don't need voice chat, but when I play MW3 on the Xbox, or integrate voice chat through the mixamp for pc gaming then I may need that extra oomph to get it there. So, thoughts? Suggestions? Snide remarks?
A fellow Ohioan!
I would keep after a used M-stage. With the M-stage you get a nice benefit of boosted soundstage.
You might not need to double amp though. I don't need to, but I do because the aforementioned reason ^post #5109 of 379104/10/12 at 7:39pm
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if the Q701 just needs double amping for power, and the O2 is supposedly powerful+neutral, doesn't that make it a good match? Why would you want a warm amp with warm headphones, especially for gaming?post #5110 of 379104/10/12 at 8:37pmQuote:
The O2 might be fine. I just hesitate to recommend stuff I haven't actually used. And the m-stage isn't that warm. I just think if you going to double amp, why not boost the soundstage too? Maybe the O2 can do this as well. The E9 didn't.
I still think the Q701 doesn't need to be double amped.l. The mixamp gives me enough volume, even with chat...post #5111 of 379104/10/12 at 8:43pmQuote:
The O2 should work fine for that. It's transparent to the source and its got plenty of power. I've never used mine with the 701 but it's got plenty of power for my my K601s and T50RPs.post #5112 of 379104/10/12 at 10:22pmHaha, yeah, southwest Ohio no less. About 15 mins north of Cinci.
As for the mixamp, I'm going to try running it solo first before going the double amp route. But I like to have everything planned out well before I make my purchases, so the sooner I start weighing my options the better for me.post #5113 of 379104/10/12 at 10:57pmpost #5114 of 379104/10/12 at 11:14pm
hah i'm like 40 mins north of cincy =P i think i've came to a conclusion of getting either dt770's or 880's. for a first pair of "real" headphones...i'm pretty excited! which would you guys recommend for playing a variety of games...fps and single player? i strayed from alot of the other sets because i am mainly interested in the immersion but keeping clarity in as well...and these 2 sets seemed pretty recommended. i'm happy i found this site =Ppost #5115 of 379104/10/12 at 11:17pm
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 45 seconds ago
- › Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › WTB: Schiit Magni 2 Uber 2 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Q & A 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › HD600 - on Creative SB X-Fi sound card. 2 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. 1-17-2017 Now... 3 minutes ago
- › PETEREK (formerly cCasperTFG) MOD & Cable Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear