or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 335

post #5011 of 37458

Any way to use a DAC with the Mixamp, when using it with the PS3 in case the Mixamp DAC doesn't sound to my liking? Or do I have the logistics wrong?

 

Also, does placing a headphone amp in front of a Mixamp, such as a tube amp, affect the simulated surround effect? I'd like to use an amp, in case the Mixamp isn't powerful enough.

post #5012 of 37458
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post



I would just get a replacment driver.  The AD900 isn't any better for fps gaming IMO.



They certainly don't sound any worse either. There isn't a soundstage reduction in the slightest.

post #5013 of 37458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indread View Post

Any way to use a DAC with the Mixamp, when using it with the PS3 in case the Mixamp DAC doesn't sound to my liking? Or do I have the logistics wrong?

 

 

Well, how are you connecting everything now?

 

 

post #5014 of 37458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indread View Post

Any way to use a DAC with the Mixamp, when using it with the PS3 in case the Mixamp DAC doesn't sound to my liking? Or do I have the logistics wrong?

 

Also, does placing a headphone amp in front of a Mixamp, such as a tube amp, affect the simulated surround effect? I'd like to use an amp, in case the Mixamp isn't powerful enough.

The mixamp takes a digital 5.1 source and outputs two channel analog, so you can't use another DAC with it. You can put another amp downstream from the mixamp to boost it.
post #5015 of 37458

Thanks for the responses. Would an amp (I'm considering maybe even a tube amp) affect the simulated surround in any way? Amps tend to distort sound in some way...

post #5016 of 37458

^Why a tube? Tubes are usually chosen because people prefer distortion--in this case, even distortion in the form of even order harmonics (though that's not always the case, it just usually is). 

What headphone are you trying to pair with the MixAmp? Why do you believe you need an extra amp?

post #5017 of 37458
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indread View Post

Thanks for the responses. Would an amp (I'm considering maybe even a tube amp) affect the simulated surround in any way? Amps tend to distort sound in some way...


No. Once the Mixamp processes the virtual surround, everything after it will keep it. Attaching another amp will affect the sound the same way an amp affects ANY signal going through it. If your amp is neutral, it won't change the sound, etc. Don't worry too much about attaching another amp to it. Unless the amp you attach is noisy, decent amps won't cause any audible distortions.
post #5018 of 37458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post



They certainly don't sound any worse either. There isn't a soundstage reduction in the slightest.



It's not worth spending double the cost of AD700 for AD900 for FPS gaming

post #5019 of 37458
Thread Starter 
My Mixamp is a bit lonely as of late. Since I've been spending most of my time playing Tales of Graces F (which doesn't do any form of surround), I've just been playing the sound off my Soundbar. My Q701 and D7000 are collecting dust. Sad that I use my KSC35 about 20x more than the other two cans combined.

frown.gif
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/2/12 at 2:47am
post #5020 of 37458

I guess I was thinking of purchasing a headphone amp if I find the sound isn't loud enough. I've yet to purchase it though.

post #5021 of 37458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

My Mixamp is a bit lonely as of late. Since I've been spending most of my time playing Tales of Graces F (which doesn't do any form of surround), I've just been playing the sound off my Soundbar. My Q701 and D7000 are collecting dust. Sad that I use my KSC35 about 20x more than the other two cans combined.
frown.gif


omg Tales!! Didnt realise they've finished and released it already. It doesn't use 5.1 does it?

Can't wait for the european version.

post #5022 of 37458

Anyone tried the AD1000? Accessory Jack have it for £200 which is kind of tempting

post #5023 of 37458
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayleighSilvers View Post

Anyone tried the AD1000? Accessory Jack have it for £200 which is kind of tempting


I have one incoming.  I'm probably just going to use the frame for some ortho drivers and sell the original AT drivers.  They'd probably make a nice upgrade for someone's AD700.

post #5024 of 37458
tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post


I have one incoming.  I'm probably just going to use the frame for some ortho drivers and sell the original AT drivers.  They'd probably make a nice upgrade for someone's AD700.


Would that someone be me??

Unfortunately I just purchased three drivers from audio technica..

The price I paid for all three drivers Boggles my mind in comparison to the price of the entire headsets complete!!..

1- ad700 driver
And
2- ad900 drivers

Very inexpensive!!
post #5025 of 37458
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post



It's not worth spending double the cost of AD700 for AD900 for FPS gaming



Different budget notions for different people. While for you the sound quality differences might not be worth the price increase from the AD700, for others it might be quite a bit. Different strokes include budgets :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)