- 16,398 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Keep in mind I don't factor the price into my ratings for sound, design, and comfort. I'd like to say early on that I don't pay much attention to the frequency response. I tend to prefer flat...
So, this is my firest review on Head-Fi. My name is Jonny, I'm 23. Masters student studying Future Design, I work part time in my local phone store and I've been in love with audio since I was...
I would like to thank Christian from plusSound for providing the X8 GPC in return for my honest opinion. Introduction PlusSound started making cables around 2012, and has consistently been...
I've recentlty bougth them for office. All i wanted was a pair of fairly decent cans within the budget ive prepaired for this occasion. Unboxing was a surprise, in the package we get a nice pair...
If you are a bass head and like still like to hear to rest of the music, then this Burson V4 could be for you. Charles at Burson had offered the V5 in exchange for a honest evaluation. I did...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 329post #4921 of 379813/22/12 at 5:38pmThread StarterHmm... perhaps I'll have to try the DSS2 at some point, to see how it stacks up to Dolby Headphone.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4922 of 379813/22/12 at 6:55pm
HD 600 on a MixAmp:
Mix--fully on "Game"
Volume--about 1 o'clock
Tested on Mass Effect 3 (campaign), running around Citadel and a short, indoors side mission.
Dialogue was fine; speech was perfectly intelligible, always. This included when I hit the nightclub on Citadel; bass was nice and thumping but I could still make out all of the speech with dialogue trees, and most of it when eavesdropping on NPCs.
Jumping mass effect relays produced a satisfying "THOOM", but I did hear a crackle just prior to making the jump--is this part of the intended SFX?
Positional audio was okay. I could detect well enough when shots were fired 'somewhere' behind me, and during dialogue sequences I think the 6 o'clock was a bit clearer than on my DT880. Could more or less tell when people were further away, but since this isn't a sneaky game, positional audio only comes into play in all-out firefights.
Combat took place in the same type of environment as the talky bits, so there was no audible difference in the way stuff sounded (e.g. in an echo-y chamber vs in a small room).
It was overall an okay experience, nothing to complain or write home about. 600 was a bit clampy, but it is 3 days new...post #4923 of 379813/23/12 at 1:13ampost #4924 of 379813/23/12 at 1:50ampost #4925 of 379813/23/12 at 5:58am
$550, but they're cool about price matching. Told me to come back within 30 days w/ just the receipt.
I prefer to buy locally whenever possible as I'm a pretty discerning user. For instance, the noise from this card is much greater than my previous Galaxy GTX 580 w/ the 3 92mm fans. Although, it's only noticeable when gaming and headphones/speakers would drown it right out.
Just to give you an idea of performance per watt...
Dirt 3 Benchmark 1680x1050 8xMSAA Ultra
GTX 580 @ 900Mhz Core 4400Mhz Memory 1.1Volts
103 Avg, 89 Min
GTX 680 @ stock speeds
121 Avg, 103 Min
But the big shocker? 680 is pulling One Hundred and Six watts LESS than the 580 from the wall!!!
***Sorry for so much off topic guys***
Edited by Jodiuh - 3/23/12 at 6:04ampost #4926 of 379813/23/12 at 6:40am
The noise is understandable due to reference design and cooling, while the Galaxy GTX 580 has both modified design and cooling.
Nvidia went with improving performance per watt metrics, and ended up having a card that's both more quiet, with lower temps, lower power draw, both idling and under load, as well as outperforming the AMD competing flaship, HD7970, in all aspects including price that is matched. Overall, it's the best single GPU card available right now.post #4927 of 379813/23/12 at 6:58am
CPU temps are down over 10 C though. That Galaxy spits out all the heat right on my 2600K, lol. Kinda of nice to have the heat split up again. Also, case and hdd temps went down too. This probably means I can get away w/ adding a controller to the SFLEX E's and lower them from 1200 to 800 RPM or so!post #4928 of 379813/23/12 at 7:44am
i am waiting for the amd 7990s to come out and i will be using two with the new ivy bridge..p.s i seen in your profile you like running and are thinking about mountain biking.. check this bike out it's very light and looks nice..
Edited by our martin - 3/23/12 at 7:46ampost #4929 of 379813/23/12 at 7:48ampost #4930 of 379813/23/12 at 7:56amQuote:
i have a 2011 marin downhill quad it's a professional bike but i don't ride that much..the orange miii is super light and i think i will be getting one for riding through central park..i live in england but have an apartment at central park west..well that's my excuse to buy it anyway..post #4931 of 379813/23/12 at 9:51ampost #4932 of 379813/23/12 at 11:22amThread Starterpost #4933 of 379813/23/12 at 12:30pm
Distressingly, most of the headsets voted for are not Sennheiser PC360s or Beyerdynamic MMX300s...not that I've tried either, but I'd certainly trust those more than most "gaming" headsets you see mentioned in there.
Perhaps it's a good time to make sure the good headsets make it into the top 5?post #4934 of 379813/23/12 at 12:57pmThread StarterI'm willing to bet that the Senns and MMX300 wouldn't be popular because they don't have 'OMG BASS'. Remember, life outside of Head-fi tends to prefer bass emphasis. Typical consumers wouldn't typically like the Senns or the MMX300s (which are apparently bass light as of late).
I like my bass plentiful, though not on a headset.
I can't say I comletely blame ignorance, as if I only had ONE pair of headphones/headset, it'd have to be good for my taste in music too, so bass emphasis would be something I'd go for myself. However, since I can't see myself with just ONE headphone for absolutely everything, I'll pick a balanced headset, and a bassy headphone.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/23/12 at 1:02pmpost #4935 of 379813/23/12 at 1:04pm
I thought it was because they weren't as heavily marketed as all of those "gaming" headsets...well, that and price.
As for "OMG BASS", I almost forgot about that...can't say I'm very fond of everyone's general obsession with bass while ignoring mids and treble, especially when they drive down the road and I can still hear the thumping in my house several feet away and through the walls. I mean, rumbling, cavernous explosions are nice, but I like crystal-clear voices and instruments, too.
I even once heard about some cheesy "gaming" headset that had a built-in rumble motor that vibrated whenever bass notes were playing. Yes, really.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Earbuds Round-Up 27 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by... 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Dita Audio Flagship - "The Dream" 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › New tube amp: the Cayin HA-1A MK2 2 minutes ago
- › Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 3 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Philips SHP9500 by aptr91
- › Audeze iSine 20 by AudioJunki3
- › PlusSound X8 IEM Cable by flinkenick
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by d1554573r
- › Supreme Sound Opamp V4 by snellemin
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by HiFiChris
- › Audio-Opus Opus#2 by cleg
- › Meze 11 Neo by mgunin
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by Dsnuts
- › Audeze iSine 10 by neilmanalo
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear