or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 309

post #4621 of 37339
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB305 View Post



Agreed, they would sell a lot more of them I'd imagine if they did it would be just as expensive as the Astro mixamp, but I love competition in the market place should drive prices down and push quality up.

 

Until then I am happy with my setup for just under $90.00.



I just bought an astro mixamp for $90.99 i think thats the best price i ever seen for it brand new .

post #4622 of 37339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanlegend View Post



I just bought an astro mixamp for $90.99 i think thats the best price i ever seen for it brand new .



That's awesome where at, I'm sure there are plenty here that would like to know.

post #4623 of 37339

I got it by mistake i ordered the mixamp through amazon with expedited shipping but they made a mistake and shipped it ups ground instead of 2nd day air with enough bitching and moaning he gave me the $39 discount :)

post #4624 of 37339

Hey MLE- I just opened my Mass Effect 3 package from Newegg and found a copy of Madden 2012 inside. Now they are telling me that they will only ship out ME3 after they receive Madden from me. I'll probably have ME3 in 1-2 weeks at this point. FML.

 

facepalm.jpg




Apparently I'm not the only one, either. Link


Edit: A friend suggested I try and exchange games at Wal Mart. It worked. 1-2 week wait avoided.
Edited by Rebel975 - 3/7/12 at 3:37pm
post #4625 of 37339
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB305 View Post

 

Is this not an option for you?

 

From what I know there are 2 ways to hook up a mic to the ps3 usb and bluetooth and only 1 way to hook up a mic to the xbox and that is through the controller. If anyone out there knows more about this please chime in. Ok, so from what I understand it is the xbox controller that handles the voice/chat wirelessly with the xbox 360. I'm not sure if you can hook up a usb mic to the xbox (my thinking is no) if so I would assume you can use the syba in the same fashion as I do with the PS3. But if the above post by Calpis works than why not hook up the mic direct to the xbox controller?

 

 

 

The connector would be an option... but I thought that only works with PS3.  I need chat and mute capability on the 360.  And I believe you're correct in that the 360's controller sends voice to the xbox... I don't know of a way to accomplish that with the DSS2.  Anyone rigged up their DSS2 successfully with chat/mute to the 360?  I apologize if i'm missing something simple here.
 

 

post #4626 of 37339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel975 View Post

Hey MLE- I just opened my Mass Effect 3 package from Newegg and found a copy of Madden 2012 inside. Now they are telling me that they will only ship out ME3 after they receive Madden from me. I'll probably have ME3 in 1-2 weeks at this point. FML.

 

facepalm.jpg


Apparently I'm not the only one, either. Link
Edit: A friend suggested I try and exchange games at Wal Mart. It worked. 1-2 week wait avoided.


Can you explain how you traded Madden for Mass effect 3 ? especially without a receipt ?

 

post #4627 of 37339

Some stores allow no receipt returns for a store credit. Then just apply that credit to the new game. Or they may outright exchange it. Only works unopened of course.

post #4628 of 37339

This is a great resource for console gamers like myself. I own a PS3, and am in a situation where I can't turn the volume very loud, so I'm forced to purchase headphones which support surround sound.

 

I've got a few basic questions which I can't find direct answers on when searching this thread.

 

 

 

Are there any headphones which support true 5.1/7.1 surround sound, where sound comes from multiple sources in the headpones (several speaker sources for example)?

 

I noticed some headphones marketed as supporting 5.1/7.1 surround sound. Is it correct of me to assume that the difference between these headphones with native surround support and regular headphones, are that they essentially have built-in amp/processor for Double Headphone, where as regular headphones would either require something like the MixAmp?

 

I noticed a particular Turtle Beach headphone which touted support for "true Dolby Headphone, Dolby Digital 5.1, and Dolby Pro Logic II". The Dolby Digital part makes no sense to me, unless these headphones have more than 2 "speakers".  Do they actually mean "supports Dolby Digital 5.1, by converting the 5.1 signal to stereo, and then processing with Dobly Headphone"?

 

Lastly, for gaming, how would the Koss KSC35, Koss PortaPros, PX-100, and PX-100 II's compare to the KSC75?

 

 

 

Thanks a lot in advance, the help is appreciated.

post #4629 of 37339


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indread View Post

Are there any headphones which support true 5.1/7.1 surround sound, where sound comes from multiple sources in the headpones (several speaker sources for example)?

 


Yeah, some headphones actually do have multiple "drivers" (name for the "speaker cones"). I think Psyko Audio makes a 5.1 set.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indread View Post

I noticed some headphones marketed as supporting 5.1/7.1 surround sound. Is it correct of me to assume that the difference between these headphones with native surround support and regular headphones, are that they essentially have built-in amp/processor for Double Headphone, where as regular headphones would either require something like the MixAmp?

 

 

 

It'd be a false assumption. Unless you know for a fact they have 5.1 drivers, you don't know what they mean by "supports surround sound". Think of it this way: with things like the MixAmp and DSS, any regular headphone can support surround sound, right? So technically, marketers can say this about any headphone. 

Welcome to the world of business. You can't assume.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indread View Post

I noticed a particular Turtle Beach headphone which touted support for "true Dolby Headphone, Dolby Digital 5.1, and Dolby Pro Logic II". The Dolby Digital part makes no sense to me, unless these headphones have more than 2 "speakers".  Do they actually mean "supports Dolby Digital 5.1, by converting the 5.1 signal to stereo, and then processing with Dobly Headphone"?

 

 

 

You've just described (bold parts only) how the Astro MixAmp, Turtle Beach DSS, JVC SU-DH1 and Tritton AX Pro's decoder work.

Link to the product page, please, or we can't verify any of that.

post #4630 of 37339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indread View Post
This is a great resource for console gamers like myself. I own a PS3, and am in a situation where I can't turn the volume very loud, so I'm forced to purchase headphones which support surround sound.

I've got a few basic questions which I can't find direct answers on when searching this thread.

Are there any headphones which support true 5.1/7.1 surround sound, where sound comes from multiple sources in the headpones (several speaker sources for example)?

I noticed some headphones marketed as supporting 5.1/7.1 surround sound. Is it correct of me to assume that the difference between these headphones with native surround support and regular headphones, are that they essentially have built-in amp/processor for Double Headphone, where as regular headphones would either require something like the MixAmp?

I noticed a particular Turtle Beach headphone which touted support for "true Dolby Headphone, Dolby Digital 5.1, and Dolby Pro Logic II". The Dolby Digital part makes no sense to me, unless these headphones have more than 2 "speakers".  Do they actually mean "supports Dolby Digital 5.1, by converting the 5.1 signal to stereo, and then processing with Dobly Headphone"?

Lastly, for gaming, how would the Koss KSC35, Koss PortaPros, PX-100, and PX-100 II's compare to the KS


Dolby Digital will take a 7.1 (8 channel) or 5.1 (6 channel) audio feed, use Dolby Virtual Headphone (True Dolby Headphone), to process the audio so that when the 2 channel audio feed goes into your ears from the headphones, it fools your brain into thinking it's hearing 7.1 or 5.1 surround sound.

Someone figured out how the 2 human ears we have process surround sound and Dolby applied that knowledge.

A lot of the advertised 7.1 or 5.1 headphones are stereo (2 channel) headphones that come with a separate surround sound processing device.

Dolby Pro logic is when you start off with a 2 channel audio feed and expand it to 5.1 or 7.1 for analog speakers (or a fake surround sound for headphones?)

 

 

post #4631 of 37339

No, Dolby Pro Logic is a means of encoding surround channels into two analog channels (or possibly into some Dolby Digital channels for height speakers in a possible 9.1 setup). It's not a stereo upmix like you described.

 

Of course, these matrixed channels aren't as good as discrete channels ala Dolby Digital due to crosstalk and other issues, but with the right surround processor, I do notice some sounds coming from the rear in my GCN/Wii games (which use Pro Logic II as a rule; don't ask me why they didn't implement an S/PDIF output for Dolby Digital and DTS).

 

The rest is fairly spot-on.

post #4632 of 37339
Thread Starter 
To the guy asking about REAL surround sound headphones with multiple speakers... enjoyyour inferior headphones if you go that route. Stereo headphones with virtual surround sound BETTER by a mile, and the surround sound is as convincing as any stupid surround sound headset. I owned the Ax Pros...and they were just gawdamn AWFUL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel975 View Post

Hey MLE- I just opened my Mass Effect 3 package from Newegg and found a copy of Madden 2012 inside. Now they are telling me that they will only ship out ME3 after they receive Madden from me. I'll probably have ME3 in 1-2 weeks at this point. FML.

 

facepalm.jpg


Apparently I'm not the only one, either. Link
Edit: A friend suggested I try and exchange games at Wal Mart. It worked. 1-2 week wait avoided.

Lol, Walmart beneficial fail?

I would have RAGED something fierce if I didn't get my copy of ME3 today.

I got it, and I'm incredibly happy. Hell, seeing as I couldn't find the damn Collector's Edition anywhere, I settled for the standard one, bought the day one DLC (the Prothean one), and got to work.

I'm somewhat upset that I only have one save file. I could've sworn I did Renegade AND Paragon playthroughs of ME2, but only have the Renegade one, and I didn't save Wrex. AGH. Oh well, my second playthrough is gonna have to be barebones, and with the Rachni Queen, Council, Wrex, Ashley all saved, and Collector base destroyed.

I'm considering restarting ME3 again right now because the new 'pretty' hairstyle (I think its the one on the farthest right) on my femshep looks awesome, but the area between her eyebrows is constantly glitched where a piece of hair is going into her head and coming back out on the middle of her forehead, so it looks like she's growing a monobrow. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU!!! She has to be perfect!

My femshep is a beautified default ME1/2 femshep with black hair, and slight tweaks. I'm mad that the last hair style has that glitch with her features, even when recessing her brow depth all the way. The preset with that hair style doesn't have that glitch, but isn't exactly realistic looking. Screw it, I'm starting over, different hair style be damned. I can't believe I didn't notice when editing my femshep.

I'm also gonna go with Soldier class on Hardcore. I was playing with a Level 30 Sentinel, and wasn't digging the powers given, though Tech Armor will probably be incredibly useful for an Insanity run. I miss my Adrenaline Rush and special ammos.

Also gonna play through the Kingdom of Amalur demo so I can unlock the Chrakam Launcher and special armor for ME3.

On topic, ME3 is the PERFECT game to demo Dolby Headphone. The full game already has so many parts in the game where you can test surround sound placement. Sounds glorious with the D7000. Haven't used the Q701 yet.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/7/12 at 9:16pm
post #4633 of 37339
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post
No, Dolby Pro Logic is a means of encoding surround channels into two analog channels (or possibly into some Dolby Digital channels for height speakers in a possible 9.1 setup). It's not a stereo upmix like you described.

Of course, these matrixed channels aren't as good as discrete channels ala Dolby Digital due to crosstalk and other issues, but with the right surround processor, I do notice some sounds coming from the rear in my GCN/Wii games (which use Pro Logic II as a rule; don't ask me why they didn't implement an S/PDIF output for Dolby Digital and DTS).

The rest is fairly spot-on.


You right, got Dolby Pro logic mixed up with something else.

 

 

post #4634 of 37339
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post

Some stores allow no receipt returns for a store credit. Then just apply that credit to the new game. Or they may outright exchange it. Only works unopened of course.



This. I just took the unopened copy of Madden 2012 to the customer service desk and asked if I could trade it for another game. They never even asked if I had a receipt.

post #4635 of 37339
Thread Starter 
Using the Mixamp with the PS2 and Wii's RCAs yielded some pretty damn good results in terms of surround positional cues. While Pro Logic II sounds artificial and echoey as a whole in comparison to Dolby Digital through the Mixamp, I have to say that the actual surround placement was as good, if not better in some cases.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)