or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 289

post #4321 of 37284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I'm VERY sad that the Vita is stereo only. Uncharted sounds so.. restricted in sound compared to it's console brethren, simply because I can't use virtual surround. I have no freaking idea how anyone could think stereo is better for games.... It's like going deaf in one ear.


It got really annoying whenever Drake would talk, his voice would modulate(?) back and forth between the left and right channel real quickly. I thought it was because I was in a cave but it happened in every environment. 

 

post #4322 of 37284

I am going to darth my beyers anyway which is supposed to bring a bit more to them.

post #4323 of 37284

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  OK, so after reading tons and TONS of info on this thread and finding myself agreeing a lot with Mad Lust Envy's opinions on headphones and seeing that I also favored Chicolom's reviews, I got a pair of AKG Q701's.  Talk about absolute gaming headphone beasts!!!  What Mad Lust said about the K701's peeked my interest and had me looking past Sennheiser headphones.  Since the Denon AH-D7000's are out of my reach right now, I wanted to find something I could game with and be overly satisfied and the Q701's did just that.  Chicolom has a great review on them and I agree with it 100%.  Thank you both for your feedback on all the headphones you have tested and thank this community for sharing their thoughts on other headphones as well.

post #4324 of 37284
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykoze View Post

Thanks alot man!
But if i dont need an amp, wouldn"t it be better if i get an better soundcard?
I mean if that would improve my sound even more?

As far as dolby headphone its going to use the same chip so I dont think it will help much. Honestly though you better off going to this link as its all about dolby headphone on pc where here its mostly console gamers.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio
post #4325 of 37284

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post
I'm VERY sad that the Vita is stereo only. Uncharted sounds so.. restricted in sound compared to it's console brethren, simply because I can't use virtual surround. I have no freaking idea how anyone could think stereo is better for games.... It's like going deaf in one ear.


That's a shame. I'm wondering why binaural audio over headphones hasn't caught on in the handheld 3D gaming space; perhaps it's because there isn't a popular, established middleware like FMOD that offers such a mixing option, and game developers tend to treat sound as an afterthought.

post #4326 of 37284

Hello all!

First of all i want to thank you all!
All your advices and information were/are verry usefull!

I ordered the PC360+Xonar DG

And bought a Koss KCS75 for the lulz (19 euros and that good recommandation, i gotta try =D)
 

Thanks agian all!

post #4327 of 37284

How about a cheapish (€ 200) AV receiver instead of the Astro Mixamp Pro? Or is any AV receiver without dolby headphone pretty much useless if you plug headphones into it? 

The cheapest receiver with dolby headphone I found was more like € 400. That´s too much for me.

post #4328 of 37284

The problem, as you said, is that most receivers DON'T have Dolby Headphone or an equivalent feature (Yamaha touts Silent Cinema in its place, for instance).

 

I actually did consider picking up a Harman/Kardon AVR 254 or AVR 354 on the cheap from eBay, but then thought that as a Dolby Headphone DSP that won't have speakers connected to it, it's just too heavy and bulky to keep around, so I instead took the JVC/Victor SU-DH1 route (and if that wasn't available, I would've considered a Mixamp Pro instead).

post #4329 of 37284
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

The problem, as you said, is that most receivers DON'T have Dolby Headphone or an equivalent feature (Yamaha touts Silent Cinema in its place, for instance).

 

I actually did consider picking up a Harman/Kardon AVR 254 or AVR 354 on the cheap from eBay, but then thought that as a Dolby Headphone DSP that won't have speakers connected to it, it's just too heavy and bulky to keep around, so I instead took the JVC/Victor SU-DH1 route (and if that wasn't available, I would've considered a Mixamp Pro instead).


NamelessPFG, I'm interested in the JVC/Victor SU-DH1 because I'm currently using a Tritton AX720 decoder box with my AKG Q701's and while it's good, I want something with a bit more options and the JVC looks to have just that?  How would you say the quality is?  No hissing, weird pops or anything like that?  Push headphones nicely?

post #4330 of 37284
Has anyone tried a pair of m-audio q40 with dolby headphone. Read that they dont have great soundstage. Im not quite sure if the person was comparing to open headphones or closed headphones in general.

Its either these or a krk kns 8400. But they seem to be close to the q701 which might be a good thing. Also looking at the ultrasone pro 550. Though I cant find much info on them.
post #4331 of 37284

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabinzero View Post

NamelessPFG, I'm interested in the JVC/Victor SU-DH1 because I'm currently using a Tritton AX720 decoder box with my AKG Q701's and while it's good, I want something with a bit more options and the JVC looks to have just that?  How would you say the quality is?  No hissing, weird pops or anything like that?  Push headphones nicely?


First off, good luck getting one! The SU-DH1 is a discontinued device and only shows up on eBay occasionally. I'm guessing this is because the DSP chip it's based on has been discontinued and replaced with a simplified DSP that only offers DH2 mode, hence why the Astro Mixamp and Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS only offer DH2 as well.

 

Second, only the Japanese Victor-branded variants have the AC adapter port. (I was lucky enough to get one of these with a compatible AC adapter.) For some reason, the US JVC-branded ones don't have it, so you'll have to keep a stockpile of AA batteries around.

 

As for hissing, unfortunately, I did notice a bit of that using my Panasonic HTF600, which I guess would be significantly more sensitive than an AKG Q701. However, here's the weird part-it seems to be more noticeable over PCM or analog (for Pro Logic II sources) compared to Dolby Digital or DTS signals. I don't know why-could be a quirk of the hardware. Unfortunately, I don't have any other headphones I can reasonably use with it, certainly not my Stax Lambda, and I don't think Sansui SS-20 impressions count for much around here.

 

At the very least, the Dolby Headphone effect is, well, effective, and it's quite flexible in that it accepts DTS sources and Pro Logic II-encoded analog sources in addition to supporting the other two DH modes.


Edited by NamelessPFG - 2/25/12 at 6:31pm
post #4332 of 37284

I'm actually really curious on how the Q701 compares to my Pro2900. I've always wanted to try the K701 but never got around to it and had already fallen for the Ultrasone signature.

 

I was fortunate enough to pick up a Harman Kardon avr-254 from a friend by trading my aiaiai tma-1's to him which only cost me $150. I upgraded from a yamaha and I feel that DH is significantly better in gaming compared to Silent Cinema. I think my problem with Silent Cinema was that there were so many modes for it that I couldn't find one that suited me. Also, it never remembered my last setting so I always had to cycle through them and I had an issue with the 1080p pass through too. I game with speakers and headphones so the avr-254 was perfect for me. It's also near dead silent until I turn it up to like -11db, I game at around -15db and that's already pretty loud.

post #4333 of 37284
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

The problem, as you said, is that most receivers DON'T have Dolby Headphone or an equivalent feature (Yamaha touts Silent Cinema in its place, for instance).

 

I actually did consider picking up a Harman/Kardon AVR 254 or AVR 354 on the cheap from eBay, but then thought that as a Dolby Headphone DSP that won't have speakers connected to it, it's just too heavy and bulky to keep around, so I instead took the JVC/Victor SU-DH1 route (and if that wasn't available, I would've considered a Mixamp Pro instead).



So I guess that isn´t an option then. All the receivers that offer Dolby Headphone are just too damn expensive for me.

 

Man, I reall just want something that drives my Beyers 990 pro properly!!

post #4334 of 37284
Thread Starter 
Just get a Mixamp or DSS2 and have fun.
post #4335 of 37284

I think I'm going to try some serious FPS with my Sextetts next week, I keep forgetting I have these.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)